Status: new chapter june 8

The Ballerina and the Rocker

Chapter 15

Quinn

Her cheeks were hurting from having to hold a smile for what seemed like an eternity while her mother attempted to snap a photograph.

“C’mon, mom,” Quinn said through her teeth while still maintaining her smile.

“Hold on,” Jo replied as she looked through the camera viewer. “I want to make sure you’re center.”

“Just take the picture.”

“Can you hold up your diploma a little higher?”

Quinn let out a disgruntled sigh, still holding her smile, as she raised up her diploma so she held in front of her chest instead of her stomach.

“Perfect!” her mother exclaimed before clicking the camera and taking a picture. “Now we just need one with all of us.”

“You need someone else to take the picture,” Mason said as Jo herded the family into position.

“I’ll take it so mom doesn’t have to stand next to me,” Audrey said to Quinn, who nudged her.

“Can’t I use the timer?” Jo asked.

“Yeah, but where are you going to place the camera, on the ground?” Mason reasoned. “Unless you want a nice picture of our feet you’re going to need someone to take it.”

Quinn looked past her mother and saw Brian walking over to his parents. She jumped out of formation, ignoring a confused Jo as she told her daughter to get back in place, and jaunted over to him, her blue graduation gown flouncing as she did so.

“Hey Brian,” she said as she approached the boy in a matching gown. “Do you mind if I steal you for a sec? My mom’s having some technical difficulties.”

“Yeah, sure.” Brian followed Quinn back to her family, where she stepped back in place between her father and sister. “I’ll take it from here, Mrs. Hartford,” he said.

“Oh, thank you, Brian,” Jo said, handing him the camera and going to stand beside her husband. “You click the big silver button up in the corner,” she explained.

“I think I’ve got it,” Brian chuckled. “Everybody say ‘Wednesday!’”

Her family members did so, perhaps with some confusion, while Quinn mentally glared at Brian so as not to do so in the actual picture.

“You’re an ass,” Quinn laughed as she retrieved the camera from him.

“So you keep reminding me,” he said with a grin. Quinn smiled back and gave Brian a big bear hug. Clearly caught off guard by the affection, Brian laughed and hugged his friend back.

“Thanks for being a great friend,” Quinn said, still hugging him tightly. “Seriously. I think I would have gone crazy at this school if it wasn’t for you.”

“Crazy-er, you mean.” She pulled out of the hug and shoved him playfully.

“I’ll see you later.”

Quinn headed back to her family as Brian went back to his. As she walked back with her family in sight, she couldn’t get over just how normal they looked. You would never have guessed her mother and sister were at odds with other with how closely they were sitting on the bench, and you couldn’t tell her father was rarely at home with how naturally he and Mason were chatting and laughing.

Quinn raised up the camera and took a picture, wanting her family to stay like this forever.

Zacky

Zacky couldn’t remember a week that had been busier. He had finally graduated high school and with that accomplishment came a house full of loud family members, some he knew quite well others not so much. On top of that, the band, with a big help from Val, had managed to snag a spot to play a show; hopefully it would be an omen of things to come.

“So if you’re free you should come,” Zacky said to Quinn after he caught her up on the band’s news. The two were sitting on Zacky’s bed as the latest Motörhead album, a graduation gift to him from Quinn, played in the background.

“Of course I’ll come,” Quinn said, matter-of-factly. “When is it?”

“Two weeks I think? I’ll have to double check with Val. Wait,” he thought, “when do you head out for your orientation?”

“Not until after the fourth.”

A sigh of relief washed over him.

“Thank god, so you definitely will be able to come.”

Quinn smiled.

“I wouldn’t miss it.”

Quinn

Even though her father had to return to base after a nice weekend at home, Quinn was glad her sister was able to extend her summer stay before heading back out to Boston.

“Zacky’s band is having a show next weekend, you should come!” Quinn said.

“Oh, hell yeah,” Audrey enthusiastically replied. “I’m really proud of you, I hope you know.”

That comment caught Quinn of guard. She had always heard that phrase come from her parents in regards to her ballet but it was another thing entirely to hear it coming from one of her siblings, especially when she had no idea what prompted it.

Audrey noticed her sister’s obvious confusion and began laughing.

“You’ve just changed so much in this last year,” she continued. “You always kept to yourself and never let anyone in. I seriously thought you might have had a social disorder at one time --”

“-- Geez, thanks.”

“You were a recluse and you know it, but look at you now! You’re on your way to Juilliard, but even better you have a group of friends - not to mention a pretty incredible boyfriend - that have really helped you step out of your comfort zone and come out of your shell. It’s something that I’ve been trying to help you with for years, but Zacky and the rest of them were finally able to do it and you let them in. And I’m really proud of you for it.”

Quinn felt close to tears hearing those words from her sister. She hadn’t really thought about it much, but hearing from Audrey made Quinn realize how much she really had changed for the better. And she knew she honestly couldn’t have done it if they hadn’t moved next door to the Baker’s.

Zacky

Well, that show could have gone better. It felt like it was the first time any of them had played together. Not that they sounded bad, they just sounded… nervous. And sloppy.

“At least our demos didn’t sound like that?” Jimmy offered as the boys packed up their instruments into Val’s parents’ car and the Hartford’s station wagon.

“An album’s nothing if you’ve got a crappy live show,” Matt reasoned.

“You guys weren’t that bad,” Audrey reassured them. Zacky gave her a look to which she quickly responded, “I’m serious! You guys have a solid base and you clearly have the talent, it was just a case of nerves. Once you get out there more you’ll get back on your feet and rock the faces off of everyone in the crowd.”

“Can you come to every one of our shows?” Zacky said with a grin. Audrey laughed and went to help Brian load up the amps. Quinn moved from Audrey’s side to Zacky’s and grabbed his hands.

“She’s right, you know,” she said before planting a quick kiss on his lips.

“I just don’t know what happened,” he said so only Quinn could hear. “We’ve played before and we’ve sounded fine.”

“Sometimes you just have off days. I’m the same way with ballet.”

“Yeah, it just sucks.”

“I know. But at least you’ll have more time to practice this summer and look into more gigs. And get those demos out.”

“And spending time with you before you leave.”

Quinn gave him a look he recognized all too well - it was the same look his mother gave when he or his brother were about to get chewed out for something.

“Don’t give me that look,” he continued. “I’ll be with these guys all the time.”

“But I don’t want you stop everything for me.”

“I’ve split my time all year, I think I can handle it for a summer.”

Quinn threw her arms around Zacky’s neck as his wrapped around her torso tightly.

“I don’t mean to break up this love fest,” Brian said, causing Quinn and Zacky to turn and look at him while still keeping their arms around one another, “but we’re going to ‘celebrate’ our performance with a few drinks.”

Zacky turned back to Quinn as the rest of the group piled into the cars.

“We don’t have to go,” he said, remembering her laughable alcohol tolerance.

“No, we should go,” she smiled. “Besides, I think my sister would get a kick out of seeing me drunk.”

He laughed and pulled her along to the station wagon where they climbed into the back seat over a cymbal.

“All aboard?” Audrey said from the driver’s seat.

“To Johnny’s bar!” Jimmy exclaimed from the passenger’s seat.

As Audrey drove off following Val and the rest of the guys down the PCH, Zacky continued holding Quinn’s hand. With their fingers intertwined and palms pressed so tightly as if about to melt into one, Zacky had no plans of letting go until the absolute second she got on her plane to New York.
♠ ♠ ♠
ARGH. Almost 2 weeks for an update?! I'm lame. Hopefully my writing/updating rut is at an end.

Anyway, thanks as always for reading and commenting. Please keep doing so!

xo