You Are Not Alone

Kindness and Generosity

Michael's POV

Little Ava had returned to the activity room five minutes later. This time she was pulling a middle aged woman with her. Walking up to Lily and Michael, who had come to stand next to his girlfriend, the little girl introduced them to her mother. The woman seemed a little starstruck at first, but relaxed quickly when he easily struck up a conversation.

Michael and Lily talked to Ava's mother, whose name was Judy, for almost an hour. She had told them about when and how her daughter's illness had been detected. She told them about her grueling chemo therapy and how the girl had cried when the process finally took her hair. It was clear that Judy loved her daughter dearly. The pride she had at her daughter's strength and courage was shining in her eyes as she smiled down at her.

Michael held Judy's hand and Lily wrapped her arm around her as she cried. This woman had such a heartbreaking story. Her husband, Ava's father, had died shortly after their daughter was diagnosed with leukemia. He had suffered a heart attack, leaving Judy as a single parent. It hurt Michael to see this kind woman in so much pain and bearing such a large responsibility all on her own.

During their conversation, Michael had learned that Judy eventually had to sell the house that she had lived in with her husband. The medical bills for Ava's treatment had just run too high and she was now in debt. She and her daughter now lived in a small two bedroom apartment. She was lucky to be able to afford the rent, not to mention, put food on the table. They couldn't have the extras that most considered the everyday necessities. She wasn't even able to buy a present for Ava's birthday two months ago. With pride, Judy told them how Ava had simply said, "It's okay, Mommy. I woke up this morning, so I'm pretty lucky. I don't need nothin' else."

Michael was amazed at the wisdom this little seven year old girl held. Faced with one of the worst adversities that life could throw at her, Ava still managed to smile and be grateful for each day. He could tell that Lily was totally and completely in love with her. Michael could see the tears in her eyes as she listened to every word Judy said. He could see the compassion and love shining in her eyes as she looked at her. Ava had eventually placed herself on her lap. Smiling, Lily had wrapped her arms around the girl's waist, resting her chin on Ava's shoulder.

Before the couple had left, Michael made arrangements to have all of Ava's medical bills referred to him. When Judy had found out, she had told him she couldn't accept such a large gesture. However, Michael wouldn't take no for an answer. Thanking him, she hugged him as she cried. As he comforted the woman, he caught Lily's eye. She was smiling at him, a tear was trailing down her cheek.

After Michael and Lily had said their goodbyes, they slipped into the limo. The second Archie had shut the door and got behind the wheel, Lily launched herself at Michael. Taken by surprise, he gasped as his arms instinctively wrapped around her. Pulling back, Lily rained kisses all over his face. He blushed and giggled as she thanked him for what he had done for Ava and her mother. He was glad to do it. After all of the blessings he'd received in life, he felt that it was his responsibility to share them with those less fortunate.

By the time Michael and Lily had made it back to Neverland, it was lunch time. Franny was just beginning preparations to make chicken stir-fry. Michael kissed Lily before heading off to his office. He wanted to personally confirm that Judy's financial situation was taken care of. Lily had nodded, sitting on a stool at the counter. She instantly struck up a conversation with the older woman.

Once Michael had taken care of business, he walked back down the stairs. He smiled as he heard Lily and Franny talking and laughing with each other. Joining Lily at the counter, Michael sat and joined the conversation. He blushed as Franny teased him about his relationship with Lily. He looked over to find that he wasn't the only one blushing. Soon, lunch was ready and he invited Franny to join them. As they ate and talked, Lily went on and on about the trip they had made to the hospital. It was clear that Ava had really made an impression on his girlfriend. They had just finished their meal, when Michael's phone rang. Excusing himself, he answered it as he walked into the house.

"Hello, Mother", Michael greeted, smiling.

"Hello, baby", Katherine replied. "How are you doing, sweetheart?"

"I'm fine, Mother. How are you and Joseph doing?" He replied sweetly.

"Oh, fine, fine. I just haven't talked to you in a while. I was thinking about coming to visit you tomorrow. Are you free?" Katherine asked her son.

"Yes, I'm free. I would love to see you", Michael answered happily. "I actually have someone here that I would like you to meet!" Michael said shyly. Katherine giggled.

"Would this someone happen to be the famous Lily I've heard so much about?" She asked coyly. Michael blushed.

"Yes, that would be her", Michael confirmed with a giggle.

"You know, Janet has been talking about her a lot as well. She said she met her the other day when she came to see you."

"Yes, Janet and Randy have already met her", Michael said. "Is that all she said?" He asked, biting his lip.

"You mean, did she also mention that you have a bit of a thing for the girl? Yes, she sure did", Katherine answered. Michael could tell his mother was smiling.

"About that, ahem", Michael cleared his throat nervously. "Lily and I have become a couple. That's why it's so important to me that you meet her. I really love her, Mother." He was really nervous now. His mother's opinion was the most important to him.

"From what Janet told me, I'm not surprised, Michael. She certainly approves of this girl. She went on and on about her, let me tell you!" Katherine laughed. Michael breathed a sigh of relief.

"I'm glad to hear that", Michael giggled. "You'll love her, Mother. I promise!" He went on excitedly. "She's so beautiful and sweet and talented. Oh, Mother, she's perfect! She went with me to the hospital today to see the kids. You should have seen her, Mother! She loves kids and she was so good with them!" He continued to gush. He blushed when he heard his mother giggling.

"You've got it bad, dontcha, baby?" Katherine teased her son.

"Very funny, Mother", Michael laughed along. "But, yes, I most definitely do", he admitted.

"Well, in that case, I can't wait to meet the girl who has my baby's heart", Katherine said sincerely. "Shall I come over around lunch time?"

"Yes, Mother. I think that would be fine", Michael agreed.

"Alright, baby. I'll see you tomorrow. I love you, Michael", Katherine said sweetly.

"I love you, more. Goodbye, Mother", he replied.

"Goodbye, baby", Katherine said, hanging up.

Michael hung up, putting his phone in his pocket. He walked back outside, taking his seat next to Lily. Franny was back inside, cleaning the kitchen. Pecking her lips, Michael held Lily's hand. She smiled at him and he returned it.

"So....do you remember yesterday when I was joking about my mother being here?" Michael asked, hoping Lily wouldn't get worried.

"Uh.....yes?" She replied, but it sounded like a question. She was looking at him suspiciously. Michael bit his lip, trying to hide his smile.

"Well, tomorrow, you really are gonna meet her. Isn't that great?!" Michael said quickly. Lily looked stunned. He pecked her cheek and stood, prepared to run if need be.

"You- I.....WHAT?!" Lily shrieked. So much for not worrying her. She looked scared to death. She followed suit and stood from her chair.

"Relax, baby. She'll love you, I promise!" Michael tried to assure her. "At least, I hope she will..." He decided to play with her. That comment left Lily looking stricken. Unable to keep a straight face, he snickered.

"Michael Joseph Jackson! Stop laughing, this isn't funny!" Lily scolded, but it sounded more like whining. He just laughed harder. Frowning, she raised an eyebrow. With an audible click, his mouth shut instantly.

"Uh oh..." Michael muttered, backing away from his girlfriend. She began to stalk him slowly.

"Uh oh is right, mister!" Lily said threateningly.

"Aww, come on, baby. I'm just playin'", Michael defended, holding his hands up in surrender.

"Oh, yeah?" Lily asked, grinning. It wasn't nice though. She was up to something. Michael nodded as he smiled uneasily.

Michael was still backing away and Lily was still advancing. Suddenly, he stumbled off of the edge of the back patio. Taking the opportunity, he took off running.

"Yeah, you better run!" Lily yelled, running after him.

Michael ran in the direction of the pool. Big mistake! Lily finally caught up with him. Without a moment's hesitation, she pushed him in, fully clothed. When he resurfaced, he wiped his eyes. He looked at Lily, completely shocked. She laughed as he gaped, open-mouthed, at her.

"I can't believe you did that!" Michael yelled, still surprised at what had just happened.

"Aww, come on, baby. I'm just playin'", Lily mocked, using his earlier words against him. He couldn't help but laugh along with her.

"Okay, okay, I deserved that", Michael conceded, swimming over to where she stood. "Will you help me out, please?" Michael asked sweetly, stretching his hand out to her. Lily nodded, reaching for him. "SUCKER!" Michael yelled as he grasped her hand. She screamed as he yanked her into the pool.

Instead of climbing out of the pool, they just decided to enjoy the cool water. It wasn't long before they were splashing each other. They spent the rest of the afternoon, fully clothed, playing and laughing together in the pool.