You Are Not Alone

Goodbyes

Lily's POV

It had been a few days since Michael had surprised Lily with a day at Disneyland. Today was the day she had been dreading. In a few hours, Lily would be going back to New York, along with her parents and Carrie. However, the other three were taking an earlier flight, hoping to give the two lovebirds some alone time in their last few hours together. Michael had held her all night, trying to soothe away her tears.

Wanting to spend as much of the few hours she had left with Michael, she packed all of her things and loaded them into the limo as soon as they woke up that morning. Michael had offered to help her, hoping to move things along. Once that was finished, they walked down to the kitchen. After a breakfast of waffles and bacon, Lily tearfully said goodbye to Franny.

Lily and Michael now found themselves in his room, watching a movie. Cuddling up to each other on the couch, they shared a blanket. Not long after the movie started, it had been forgotten. Instead, they were in the middle of a fierce lip lock. It was as if they were desperately trying to imprint the feeling of each other's lips into their memory.

"I'm gonna miss you so much, babygirl", Michael whispered when his lips briefly parted from hers.

"Me, too, Michael", Lily replied, going back in for another kiss. "I don't wanna go", Lily said, panting heavily. Their foreheads rested against each other when the need for air became too great.

"I don't want you to go either, sweetheart. But don't worry. I promise I am gonna come see you in New York as soon as I can. Hell, I'll fly you out here as often as you're free", Michael said, making Lily smile, although it failed to reach her eyes.

Michael pulled Lily into his lap. As her arms went around his neck, his were wrapped tightly around her waist. Lily had her face buried in his black v-neck t-shirt. She inhaled the intoxicating scent of his cologne. Michael kissed the top of her head, still holding her. Rocking her slightly, he began to sing.

Sun comes up on this new morning
Shifting shadows, a songbird sings
And if these words could keep you happy
I'd do anything

And if you feel alone, I'll be your shoulder
With a tender touch, you know me so well
Somebody once said, it's the soul that matters
Baby, who can really tell when two hearts belong so well

Maybe the walls will tumble
And the sun may refuse to shine
And when I say, I love you
Baby, you gotta know
That's for all time
Baby, you gotta know
That's for all time

Moon shines down on this good evening
One warm kiss in this cold night air
For this good love i'm receiving
I'll go anywhere, just as long as you are there

And maybe the walls will tumble
And the sun refuse to shine
When I say, I love you
Baby, you gotta know
That's for all time
Baby, you gotta know
That's for all time

The sun in me
All these words that young lovers say

And maybe the walls will crumble
And the sun refuse to shine
And when I say, I need you
Baby, you gotta know
That's for all time
Baby, you gotta know
That's for all time

Baby, you never know
That's for all time
Baby, you gotta know
That's for all time

Baby, you gotta know
That's for all time
Baby, you gotta know
That's for all time

See that you'll never go
That's for all time
Baby, you never know
That's for all time

When Michael was finished singing, he bent down to kiss Lily softly. He could taste the salty tears that had fallen from her eyes. Her crying had ceased and she was left sniffling. When they pulled apart, she gave him a small smile.

"That was beautiful. I've never heard that before", Lily said softly.

"It's actually a song I wrote for Thriller, but it didn't make the cut", Michael answered, absentmindedly running his fingers through her curls.

"That's a shame. It's a beautiful song", Lily said sincerely.

"Thank you", Michael said with a small smile.

The little time the couple had left was spent talking and kissing. Promises were made and comfort was given. However, when it was finally time to go, there was nothing that could comfort the two lovers. Before they slid into the limo, Lily said her goodbyes to Archie. He had become sort of a surrogate grandfather to her over the past two weeks.

During the entire journey to the airport, Lily and Michael's lips explored each other. There was such a level of desperation in their kissing, that Lily felt like she could cry all over again. She couldn't help but silently wish that the moment would never come. However, she knew it was hopeless. Sooner than either of them would have liked, they had pulled up in front of the airport. It was even worse that Michael wouldn't be able to see her off. She understood though. After all, Michael Jackson kissing and hugging some girl in the middle of the airport was bound to cause a scene.

"Call me as soon as you get home, okay?" Michael requested with a sad smile.

"I will", Lily nodded. "I can't believe I'm leaving you", she continued, frowning sadly.

"Me either, but we'll see each other soon. I promise", Michael comforted her, his hand cradling her cheek. Lily turned and placed a soft kiss on his palm.

"I know", Lily nodded sadly. "I'll miss you", she said, looking up into his big, brown eyes.

"I'll miss you, too, beautiful", Michael replied, resting his forehead against hers.

"Well, I better get going before I miss my flight", Lily said, her voice wavering. Michael nodded, afraid he would ask her to do just that if he replied.

After looking into each other's eyes for a few seconds, their lips crashed together. One last kiss of desperation. One last unspoken declaration of love. A promise that this wasn't the end, that they would see each other again soon. After one final goodbye, Lily grabbed her luggage, rolling it behind her. She turned to watch the limo pull away. Even though she couldn't see him, Lily could feel Michael watching her. She waved until they drove out of sight, then sadly made her way inside the airport.

Between boarding her flight to walking into her apartment, about six hours had passed. Lily threw her keys down on her coffee table and rolled her suitcase to her room. She was entirely too exhausted to even think of unpacking tonight. It was late and she had been miserable, sitting in her seat on the plane for hours. The first hour of her flight had been spent crying. She had cried so much that she ended up falling asleep up until about an hour before they were supposed to land. So, with nothing else to do, she had put on her headphones and listened to the only voice that could calm her at that moment.

Lily decided to get a quick shower before she called Michael. Hoping to wash away the sadness, she stood under the shower as she scrubbed herself clean. Drying off, Lily put on a pair of pajamas and sat on her bed. Taking out her phone, she found Michael's number and pressed send. After only two rings, that sweet voice answered.

"Lily?" Michael said in way of greeting.

"Yeah, it's me", Lily said, smiling slightly.

"Haven't you been home for almost an hour already? I was starting to get worried", Michael said. Lily smiled at how caring he was.

"I'm sorry if I worried you. Traffic was bad, then I wanted to get my shower before I called", Lily explained.

"Oh, that's okay. I'm glad you made it home safe", Michael said softly. He sounded like he had been crying himself.

"I miss you already", Lily said, unable to pretend she was anything but miserable.

"I miss you, too, baby", Michael replied. Lily could hear him sniffling, but she said nothing.

"I'm so tired. I think jetlag is gonna be kicking my ass for the next few days", Lily said, trying to lighten the mood. Michael chuckled half-heartedly.

"Well, maybe I should let you get some sleep. Can we talk on the phone tomorrow?" Michael asked her.

"Of course. I might sleep in tomorrow, since my time is gonna be all messed up. Want me to call when I wake up?" She questioned.

"Yeah, that's fine", Michael agreed. "Sweet dreams, beautiful. Talk to you tomorrow", he continued.

"Sweet dreams to you, too, Michael", Lily said smiling through the phone. "I love you", she finished softly.

"I love you, too, babygirl", Michael replied. With that the couple ended their conversation.

Lily put her phone away and crawled into bed. Once she was under the covers, she reached up and turned of the lamp next to her bed. Crying herself to sleep, Lily finally succumbed to her exhaustion.

Michael's POV

On the other end of the country, Michael decided to turn in early. He was so sad and miserable now that Lily was gone. There was no reason for him to be awake, so he chose to join her in dream land. After taking a shower, Michael slid into bed. Once he had turned off the light, he pulled the covers over his body. Turning on his side, he grabbed the pillow next to him. Burying his face in its softness, he inhaled the scen that Lily had left behind. Whispering and "I love you" to her in the darkness, he fell asleep, holding the pillow tightly.