You Are Not Alone

Texts and Memories

A loud, obnoxious noise filled the room as the alarm announced the start of another day. Reaching over, Lily turned it off, silencing falling over her bedroom once more. Sitting up, she stretched, ready to start the day. Throwing back the covers, she began her usual morning routine. About an hour later, she was leaving her apartment, locking the door behind her. Saying a quick "good morning" as she passed a neighbor, Lily made her way to the bus stop.

After a short bus ride, she was at her stop. Walking into the diner, she clocked in and began her eight hour shift. Carrie was already there, as she had come in an hour before. Smiling and greeting her best friend, Lily got to work, waiting tables. A few hours into her shift, it was time for her lunch break. Going into the designated break room, she sat and quietly ate her lunch. Once finished, she took her cellphone out of her pocket and noticed she had a text message. It was from Michael. She smiled before she even opened it.

Just wanted to say I hope you're having a wonderful day. Talk to ya later, beautiful! :)

I am, thanks! I hope you are, too, handsome. Talk to later! :) Pressing send, she sighed happily.

Lily thought her cheeks would fall off as big as her smile was. It had been two months since Michael had first called her. He would still teased her about it often. The two of them had talked on the phone almost every night since. They had become quite good friends. Michael had even mentioned wanting to see her soon. He had even extended an invitation to her to come visit him at Neverland. Lily had been so touched that he saw her as trustworthy and special enough to come into his home. She knew that wasn't something he offered lightly.

Lily had agreed enthusiastically. Although she had asked him if he was sure about a million times. Michael had laughed every time, assuring her he wouldn't have asked if he wasn't sure. He told her he was really looking forward to seeing her again in person. Her worries finally at ease, Lily had suggested that she come see him in the summer. Michael had agreed and asked if she would want to spend her birthday with him. That way they could celebrate both their birthdays together. Usually, Lily would spend her birthday with her father, in Germany. Luckily, she had spoken with him, and he agreed for her to come see him a month early. He wasn't about to spoil her chance to see Michael again. Lily's father knew how important Michael was to his daughter. Not to mention, it wasn't lost on him how rare this opportunity was.

Unfortunately, Lily was starting to develop feelings much stronger than just friendship for Michael. It scared her to imagine him finding out. There was no way he could feel the same way about her. Besides, he could do so much better than the likes of her. She was too fat, too short, too plain, too stupid. He probably knew loads of beautiful, glamorous women.

That wasn't the only problem Lily was having with her situation. The thought of falling in love again scared her to death. She had only been in one serious relationship. She was twenty-four years old, so obviously, something must be wrong with her. Hell, a lot of women her age were married or engaged already. At the very least, they had a few relationships under their belt. Lily had her reasons though. She had been in love once and all she got in return was heartache and pain. Unbidden, a memory ran through her mind.

"Hey, babe?" Mason said, looking down at her. He had his arm around her, as they cuddled on his couch, watching a movie.

"Yeah?" Lily said, waiting for his question.

"Have you gained weight?" asked her boyfriend, bluntly. Lily looked at him like he was crazy.

"Excuse me? Why would you ask me that?!" Lily questioned, getting defensive.

"Just wondering", he shrugged, not seeing the problem with his question. "It's just that I've noticed your stomach is a bit rounder lately. I'm just being honest with you, baby", Mason said, kissing her nose. Figuring it was just helpful honesty, her anger died down.

"Oh, well, maybe a couple of pounds", Lily answered, shyly. "I'll, uh, I guess I'll go on a diet or something. Ya know, watch my figure from now on."

"Good girl. Wouldn't want you getting fat on me now", Mason said with a smirk. Faking a laugh, she laid her head on his shoulder and stared blankly at the television.

Shaking her head in a desperate attempt to clear her head, Lily sighed. That was just the beginning of where her relationship with Mason went wrong. Taking a deep breath, she willed herself not to think about Mason any further. She was having such a good day today. Thinking about her ex-boyfriend had the potential to ruin her for the rest of the day. Lily refused to go down that road.

Unfortunately, the more you tell yourself not to think about something or someone, the harder it is to put it out of your mind. Lily squeezed her eyes shut, as another memory flashed across her mind.

Lily was sitting on Mason's couch, waiting for him to come back from the restroom. They had just had dinner and were getting ready to spend time together, watching a movie. They had been together for about six months, and Lily was really happy.

As she sat in silence, she heard his phone vibrating, which he had left sitting on the coffee table. She picked it up, debating on answering it for him. She decided against it, but she couldn't help but notice the caller was a female. Lily was curious, because it obviously wasn't his mother and he didn't have any sisters. A couple of minutes later, Mason's phone beeped, signaling that he had a text message. Her eyes narrowed as she read the name 'Alison'. The same name as the person who had just called.

Hearing Mason's footsteps, Lily quickly put his phone down. Not wanting to be one of those clingy girls who refused to allow her boyfriend to have female friends, she let it go. After all, she was sure that's all she was. He wouldn't hurt her like that.

Decidedly less perky than when she woke up that morning, Lily retreated from the memory. She scoffed, Just friends, indeed!

Bringing her hand up to her cheek, she realized a lone tear had slipped down her face. Drying her eyes, she stood up. Making her way to the front of the diner, she clocked back in. With a stronger resolve, Lily swore that she would not fall for Michael. Love was just too painful.

Little did Lily know, however, just how stubborn and determined her heart would be. After all, the heart wants what it wants...