Status: Please leave me a comment with your opinion of my story!

Young Dreamers

δΈ‰

"Woah, you look like you pulled an all-nighter." Oli said when I hobbled into the kitchen. Alice gave me a hug.

"Not sleeping again, Bub?" I shook my head,

"Apparently not..." I sighed, letting my eyes travel up Oli's body from where he was, cooking a bacon sandwich for each of us.

"Anyways, can I help?"

"You can get us the orange juice." Alice replied with a cheeky grin.

As we sat eating, Sara piped up.
"You know, John, you've been such a great help since you and Al got here, I don't know what we would've done without you-"

"Ain't that the truth." Oli agreed with a smile.

"And Al told me it's your birthday today!!!" I groaned, slouching over the table and Sara got up, coming round the table, Oli just looked surprised at the announcement.

"Soo...I got you a little present, nothing huge, but I thought you'd like it." I hugged her round her waist as I opened the bag she handed me.

"Beer...always a great thing to have, oh wow, it's the stuff from Maine. This is good beer. Thanks Sara. And a t-shirt, now this is very nice. Thank you. And more?" I burst out laughing and so did the girls, except Oli who had no idea what was in the bag.

"Sex wax and a card-" I pulled out the card and read the words as I handed it to Oli who laughed.
"You suck..I like that in a man." I planted a kiss on Sara's cheek.
"Thanks very much hon, great birthday presents." She smiled and sat back down.

"You seriously think I didn't get you anything?? C'mon open up." Alice said as she handed me an even bigger gift bag.

"Alt-J CD, very nice, and a key? A key...." I glanced sideways at Alice who shared and excited look with Sara.
"Al, honey, what did you do?"

"C'mon!!!" She grabbed my hand and pulled me up, running towards the driveway.

"Tadaaa!!!!" I felt my heart skip a beat and I turned round and hugged her tightly.

"Oh my god you didn't!! You didn't- oh my god!!" In front of me was an old, slightly rusty, faded red pickup truck. The truck that I'd wanted for years and had never been brave enough to buy.

"How much money did you spend on me?"

"I got this for a few hundred dollars!"

"Seriously? How??"

"Had sex with a really hot, greasy mechanic. Trust me the pleasure was all mine." I laughed at her and kissed her head.

"Seriously, I love it. Thank you so-"

"Oh. Yeah. I may have sold the mini for a very high sum. You've got five hundred dollars in the front seat." I laughed and sat in the truck, feeling the old leather interior.

"This is awesome Al. Thanks so much you guys!" Both girls gave me hugs and kisses, Oli stood smiling gently, but there was a shadow on his face and it bothered me.

"Now that we've had breakfast and given you your surprises, we need to go get ready! The first guests are gonna be here in two hours!" Me and Oli groaned and started cleaning up as the girls ran off.

"Sorry, didn't know it was your-"

"Don't worry. I don't usually tell people. Don't know why I expected Alice to keep her mouth shut." He laughed quietly.

"What's up?"

"Hmm? Nothing."

"Oli."

"I'm just getting stressed. Like...before it was just us four, and it was kind of like we were doing up the house for fun, the wedding didn't feel real. Now guests are coming and I just...I'm fine. Let's go." We cleaned up the kitchen and I went to turn around to say something, and Oli was gone. I frowned but continued with the work, getting the drinks ready to pull out of the fridge, getting the food out, and I didn't hear Oli come back in until a hand tapped me on the shoulder.

"Where have you been? I was starting to think you'd done a runner!"

"Come on." I frowned in confusion but followed him out into the garden, and through the tall hedges and trees, trying not to get too badly scratched, and finally down a small path.

"Where are we going?"

"Just come on. I've been meaning to tell you about this place all week." We headed down the path quickly, in silence, approaching a large rocky outcrop.

"Oli what-"

"Just trust me." We reached this large wall of rock, and I shrugged in askance, he just smiled and got down his knees, ducking underneath a small gap and crawling through it.

"Oli!"

"Come on!" I sighed and did the same, gaping when I saw what he was talking about. We were now inside a giant kind of cave, the sea lapping up to the miniature beach that was inside it. The ocean stretching out in front of us.

"Wow!!" Oli grinned happily.

"I'm glad you like it."

"How did you find this place, man?" I asked, walking up to the waves gently lapping against the pebbles.

"Just...y'know, exploring. Anyway. I showed you this for a reason." I turned round to face him.

"I feel something sinister is going on..." I said dramatically, making him laugh, not breaking eye contact.

"I, umm, got you something. Y'know, happy birthday and all that." He muttered awkwardly and passed me a small tissue-paper wrapped item.

"You didn't have to get me anything-" I trailed off when I saw the item inside it.

"A new shark tooth necklace." I said, smiling down at it, trying in vain to suppress the emotion that welled up inside of me.

"I think it's time for you to move on. You owe it to yourself, John." I began to feel the emotion inside me too strongly and I tried to shake it off, but the sudden atmosphere in the cave mixed with the expression in his eyes drew me to him with such force it terrified me.

"Thank you." I coughed, my voice coming out as a croak.

"John...I..." My heart hammered in my chest as I waited for him to finish the sentence.
"I think...well, happy birthday. I'm gonna get back." My heart fell and I pushed down the disappointment, giving myself a few minutes before shoving the necklace into my pocket and heading back to the house to get changed.

Throughout the entire evening, the whole rehearsal dinner, I socialised with everyone, keeping up conversation, but Oli seemed almost dead in the corner. He only really spoke when spoken to, he drank too much, and I could tell Sara was getting upset. And of course, who else would she go to for help, but me?

"John, sorry, can you tell that Oli's upset?"

"Yeah..."

"Can you talk to him? Please? For me? I'm really sorry but I can't have him getting really drunk and making a scene the night before our wedding!"

"It's ok hon, I'll go talk to him." I kissed her cheek and headed over to Oli, memories of earlier stinging in my mind.
♠ ♠ ♠
Things are starting to heat up now! Please tell me what you think :) thanks for reading