I Could Be the One

three ;

With a groan, I rolled over onto my back. I was comforted by the musky scent of Nicky before I even dared to open my eyes. His warmth, however, was oddly absent from my side. I finally willed my eyes to open just to see that Nicky was no where in sight.

I yawned with a stretch of my arms and the memories of last night came rushing back. Feeling disheartened, my fingers worked the screen of my cellphone, but there weren't any messages or calls from my boyfriend. There were, however, a few from Tim but instead of reading them, I tossed the phone aside and made my way to the bathroom to scrub the stench of the expensive tequila from my skin.

The next few hours were filled with countless matches of FIFA and occasional glances at the door when I heard someone moving in the hall outside of the hotel room. Each time, I was overwhelmed by disappointment when his always smiling face didn't open the door. By the time Nicky finally arrived, it was nearing lunch time.

Not a word was spoken between us as he immediately plugged his phone into the charger in the wall and then sat down with it still clutched in his hand, waiting for it to restart. The silence blanketed over us as the air felt as though it was growing thicker by the second. I watched as cradled his head in his large hands.

"Nicky," I said softly and cautiously as it crossed my mind to make a move towards him. He raised his bloodshot eyes to meet mine and let out a sigh.

"Please, Adelina, don't talk, mijn hoofd doet pijn," he spoke so quietly that I could barely hear his words though I only sat a few yards away.

The gears in my brain turned as I tried my best to translate the words he said in his native tongue. Though I wasn't sure he had done so intentionally. It wasn't unusual for the Dutchman to ramble off in his first language without realizing he was doing so. Sighing, I gave up after only recognizing that he was saying something about his head.

I wandered towards the provided mini fridge and searched for Nicky' favorite flavor of Gatorade. Perching myself on the arm of his chair, I laid my hand on the middle of his back, applying a gentle pressure to his muscle. He graciously took the bottle from my other hand.

"You left me alone at the club last night," I pointed out, eyeing him as he took a long drink. My words echoed through the mostly silent hotel room aside from the music that quietly played from the long paused video game. Nicky's eyes fell back into his lap and I retrieved my hand from his warm back, resting it in my lap.

"You weren't alone," he said under his breath, taking this opportunity to lounge back into the cushion of the chair.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I demanded, straightening up. Nicky's eyes fluttered closed as he tilted his head back.

"I don't want to fight right now, Adelina." With a scoff, I stood to my feet. This was a common ritual with us that was becoming too expectant. Nicky was a passive person. He was too laid back to argue when things didn't truly matter. And that's what worried me the most. Maybe I didn't matter enough to fight for.

"Right, because you were too busy out having fun without your girlfriend," I spat in his direction as I turned my back to him. With my lips pursed, I stomped away, but not before snatching my phone off of the nightstand.

I could felt the insecurity hit me like a tractor trailer as I closed the bathroom door behind me. Though I hadn't bothered to ask Nicky where precisely he had run off to, I couldn't help but to assume the worst. I felt my heart shatter as I examined my appearance in the mirror. After throwing my hair haphazardly into a messy bun at the crown of my head,
I slipped on the white and gold bikini that was at the edge of the tub, where I left it to dry. I tugged my white jean shorts on and exited the bathroom.

Nicky was laying face down on the bed, ignoring his phone as it vibrated on the table. His icy blue eyes stared blankly at the ugly wallpaper. I grabbed my sunglasses and room key and crept out of the door, hoping he didn't notice me leaving. Whether he did of not, he left my exit wordless.

Grabbing a fresh towel off of the maid's cart as I passed, I sauntered down the hallway. Every reason Nicky and I would never last as a couple flashed through my head. Before I depressed myself too much, I pulled out my phone and finally opened Tim's text conversation. Without reading the most recent messages from him, I typed something quickly and hit send before stepping into the blazing sun.

Hotel pool.'

After sliding the shorts down my legs, I spread my newly acquired fluorescent white towel across the lawn chair. After getting comfortable, my muscles began to relax under the hot rays that the sun was sending to earth.

It wasn't long before a body sat beside my feet. I opened one eye, looking at Tim through my sunglasses. His hair was pushed back from his face and his eyes were squinted in the bright sunlight.

"I heard he's mad at you," he said quietly, playing with the water bottle that was in his hand. I frowned. I'd still been hopeful that Nick was just grouchy due to his hangover. Besides, I wasn't even sure why exactly he was so angry with me.

"Yeah, I think so," I admitted through a sigh, pushing my glasses on top of my head. Tim watched me closely, his pale blue eyes smothering me unintentionally. I looked past him and at the water of the pool. "We're leaving for Holland this evening," I paused to connect our eyes, "I don't think I'm gonna go, Tim."

He nodded shortly in response, almost as if he had been expecting those exact words to leave my mouth. It was him now who broke our strong gaze. He scanned the hotel windows, as if he were looking for a face staring back at him

"My flight leaves for Vegas in a few hours," he said. "Addy, you should come with me."

My eyes snapped towards him at the offer. And just like that, I had a very tough decision to make and I had to make it very soon.
♠ ♠ ♠
If I didn't cut this chapter off here, it would have been over 3,000 words and no one wants to read a chapter that long. I'm on an update spree today, so watch out. Since I have some new subscribers on this story, yinz should make yourself known and leave me a comment ;)

Next on deck: Secrets(cowrite).