‹ Prequel: These Things We Do
Sequel: A New Life

The Maroon Beret

Thirty Four

-Charlie-
For the first time in months, I know I look beautiful. I knew before we got to the courthouse. Before I saw Sean’s reaction when he saw me for the first time. I have to admit, seeing him completely speechless looking at me gave me a ridiculous jolt of confidence. But as beautiful as I know I look, Sean looks just as handsome in his khakis and polo. Neither of us felt the need to get dressed up, and I think that was the right decision. We look like ourselves, and for a courthouse wedding that’s all we really need to be.

It’s already been the most wonderful day, and I know it’s just going to get better. That is, until the door slams open and the one voice I never wanted to hear again in my life rings out.

“There’s no way in hell I’m letting this marriage happen!” She yells.

Sean and Drew recognize her instantly, but it takes the rest of our entourage a minute to figure out exactly who this woman is. I’m stunned. How did she know where we were? Isn’t she in jail? How did she know Sean and I were getting married?

“Look at my babies, all grown up and next to each other.” She coos, walking over to where Drew and I are standing.
“You’re not welcome here.” Sean says, his voice stone cold.
“Did I ask you?” She snaps, bringing me back into reality.
“Don’t talk to him like that.” I defend, stepping between Anne and my soon-to-be husband.
“Oh, darling. Did you honestly wear that to get married?” She asks, scanning my outfit. “Isn’t the bride supposed to wear white?” I’m seething.

“Not that it’s any of your business, but members of the Air Force typically wear some aspect of their uniform for all formal occasions. Men wear their dress uniforms instead of suits, and women wear the color navy. I’m perfectly happy with what I’m wearing. But what I’m not happy with is you showing up like you have any right to be here. Who the fuck are you to show up here and say you’re not going to allow this marriage to happen?”

I feel Sean and Drew’s hands wrap around my waist, steadying me.
“I’m your mother Charlotte! Did you forget that?”

Sean’s parents’ eyes go wide. I forgot they have no idea who Anne is.
“No. You’re not my mother. You’re the woman who donated her genetics and uterus to me for nine months. You pretended to be my mother for a couple years, but then when things got tough you left. You’re nothing more than that to me.”

I can tell the tears in her eyes are fake as she turns her attention to my brother.
“Andrew, darling. You look so good. You’re so strong and handsome.”
“I’ve looked like this for years. Since I joined the Army. You would have known that if you didn’t leave us.” Drew states, clearly not having any patience for this.
Anne pretends to cry, and I really just want to smack her.

“Do I need to call security?” Judge Matthews asks. I almost forgot why we’re here.
“You should be happy. You’ve already ruined my wedding. Do you need to be escorted out, or will you leave on your own?” I ask, my voice filled with edge.

Anne looks at me.
“You didn’t even listen to what I have to say.” She exclaims.
“I have no need. Sean and I are getting married. Nothing you can say will change that. Now I’m going to ask again, are you leaving on your own or does security have to be called?”
“You know, marriage never works. Especially not at such a young age. And he’s a professional athlete? I’m sure he’s cheated on you hundreds of times. Like with that girl in the article. You can do better than that.” She declares. I see the Judge signal for security out of the corner of my eye.

“Excuse me, but that’s my son you’re talking about.” Sylvain says, standing up. “I don’t appreciate you talking about him that way. And I certainly don’t appreciate the tone you’re taking with my daughter-in-law.”
Anne scoffs. “Your daughter-in-law?” She sneers. “How cute.”
“I think it’s time for you to leave.” Danny says, joining Sylvain.

Anne simply stares at them before two security guards come into the room. Judge Matthews points to her and they calmly stand on either side of her. She turns her attention to me one last time.

“We’ll be seeing each other again.” She promises with fire in her eyes, sending a chill up my spine. With that, she turns and heads out the door, security guards on either side of her. I feel myself shaking, but can’t seem to calm down enough to make it stop. I can’t breathe. I can’t see. I feel like I’m drowning, but there’s no water around me.

“Charlie, baby. Hey, Charlie.” Sean calls, getting my attention. I look at him, finding peace in his soft brown eyes. “Are you okay?” I close my eyes and rest my face into his chest, feeling his arms wrap around my shoulders. I hear him ask everyone to give us a minute alone and the next thing I know, it’s just the two of us and the judge in the room. He’s leading me towards one of the chairs and helps me sit, claiming the one next to me.

“I hate her.” I whisper.
“I know.” His voice is soothing. “You have every right to hate her. You do.”
“Why?” I ask. “Why did she have to show up on what’s supposed to be the happiest day of my life?”
“Because she’s a heartless bitch. Because she’s crazy. Because she’s jealous you have a wonderful life without her.” Sean says, smoothing out my hair. “Baby, if you don’t want to go through with this today-” His voice cracks and it’s the first sign that this has affected him as well.
“No!” I all but shout. “I am not letting that awful woman ruin this. Ruin us. No.”

Sean smiles and I suddenly know that everything is going to be okay. I still have him.
“Why me?” I ask. “Why the mentally and physically and emotionally broken girl? You could have anyone.”
“Because you’re my everything. I don’t care what’s broken. I’ll fix it.” He responds, simply. “I love you, Charlotte Rose Coleman. Soon to be Charlotte Rose Coleman Couturier.”

I smile slightly, my face still buried in his chest. I take a few deep breaths, inhaling the overwhelming scent of male and soap and hockey and Ralph Lauren Big Pony Collection cologne- which I bought him because it’s my personal favorite. All things that I like, but when mixed together make Sean. Which is my favorite thing ever.

“Let’s get married.” I state, looking up at him. His kind eyes smile and he presses his lips to mine.
“Let’s get married.” He responds.

The rest of the ceremony goes over perfectly. I feel slightly embarrassed by Anne’s actions, and having to explain to the judge and Danny and Sean’s parents why I no longer speak to her. But they all take it in stride, and encourage me that I’ve done the right thing.

Drew actually sheds a tear as he ceremonially hands me over to Sean, giving both of us a big hug.

When it gets to the point where we have to recite our vowels, there isn’t a dry eye in the room. Between Sean’s profession of his love for me, promising that he’ll give me the world, and me thanking Sean for everything he’s done for me, since day one, the emotions are overwhelming. I’m pretty sure even Judge Matthews is touched by the obvious love between us.

When it comes time for the rings, Brayden and Janine both stand, taking their place as our best man and maid of honor. Although we aren’t having a real ceremony, we still wanted to give them those titles of honor. It’s only fair, after everything the two of them have done for us. Specifically for Sean. Without them, he likely wouldn’t have made it through my accident. I owe them everything for taking care of him when I couldn’t.

Judge Matthews finally says the words I’ve been waiting so long to hear, and I can’t contain my smile.
“I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride.”
Sean pulls me in for a world-stopping kiss and, if it was possible, I’m pretty sure he impregnated me through his lips. The passion and love and desire coursing through our veins and between our lips is felt throughout the room. Neither of us want to pull apart but we reluctantly do, only to be attacked by our friends and family.

Sean’s mom is crying, and I give her a big hug.
“Thank you for making him so happy.” She whispers.
“Thank you for making him the most wonderful man I’ve ever met.” I respond.

Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Sean and Drew in a similar embrace and it warms my heart.

“I took an amazing picture of that kiss, and I’m going to insist that it gets put on twitter and Instagram immediately.” Janine says, wrapping her arm around my middle. I laugh.
“Go ahead.” I say. “I’ll even let you caption it. I trust you.”

After all the congratulations are said, Sean and I find our way into Danny’s car, with simple plans to head to the all-star house, pick up Sean’s overnight bag, and go straight to the hotel for the night. When I get into the car, I notice my phone is absolutely blowing up and decide to check my social media accounts. Janine was right, the picture she took of our kiss is absolutely amazing.

”@SrACharlieC: Officially Mrs. Couturier! #AboutTime #WeGotHitched”

I laugh and show it to Sean, who in turn gives me a panty-dropping kiss. I immediately moan into his mouth.

“I know you two just got married and everything, but let’s refrain from making a baby in the back seat of a car that someone else is driving, eh?” Danny laughs.

“You better drive fast cause we’re definitely making a baby soon.” Sean jokes, pawing at my shirt. His eyes are dark with lust and I know that even though he was joking, he was also completely serious.

Although he plays it off well, I recognize Danny’s slight discomfort and do my best to control my husband.

Holy fuck. Husband.

We pull into the driveway and Sean jumps out, pulling me with him. Danny just laughs at us.

“You’re going to need the keys to the car, kid.” Danny laughs, tossing them our way.

We walk into the house and are met by a round of applause. Sean and I are both confused.

“Mr. And Mrs. Couturier!” Someone shouts. I remember that some of the guys here are following me on twitter, so they must have seen my picture. I laugh and blush as they all congratulate us.

“Go get your bag.” I encourage Sean. I’ve already decided that there’s no way in hell I’m going up to his room with him. We both know we wouldn’t be heading to the hotel room any time soon if I do. So I choose to sit next to Max Talbot instead.

“Congratulations, chérie.” He says, giving me a hug. “I can’t think of a more beautiful couple.” I blush.
“Thanks, Max.” I respond. I really miss Max in Philly. He was always one of those guys that could put a smile on everyone’s faces when he needed to.

We begin talking about his life in Colorado, and his new son. Even though he’s had the reputation of being a play boy for so long, I’ve always had the feeling that Max would be a good father. And I’m right. His face beams as he talks about his son. He asks me how I’m adjusting now that I’m officially retired from the Air Force, and I tell him the complete truth. Most people would get the standard answer that isn’t completely true. But this is Max I’m talking to. I tell him about how I’m still trying to figure out what to do with my life. And how I’ve been busying myself helping out with the Timonen girls.

“Well, you’ll just have to have a couple mini-Couturiers for yourself!” He laughs.
“I’m hoping to.” I admit.
He smiles brightly at me.
“Having a kid will change both of your lives forever. It’s the single most amazing and scary thing in the entire world. But I have a feeling you and Couts will be excellent parents.”
“Thank you, Max. I hope we are.”

Max’s eyes dart behind me and he stands.
“Guess I gotta let you go now.” He pouts, holding out his hand to help me up. “Don’t come back until she’s pregnant.”
I hear Sean’s laugh behind me.
“That’s the plan, my friend.”

His response is met by a loud whoop from a couple guys who were hanging out, and a blush spreads across my face. I laugh and follow him out the door, to the car.

“I love you, Charlie.” He says once we’re in the car and on our way to the hotel. “I can’t even begin to describe how happy I am to finally call you my wife. It feels so strange to say. My wife. But it feels so right at the same time.”

“I fell the same way.” I respond. “I’m the happiest I’ve ever been right now, because I can’t stop calling you my husband in my head.”

He pulls up to a red light and reaches over to grab my neck. He pulls me towards him and attaches his lips to mine in a passionate kiss. It takes my breath away, and makes my heart skip a beat. I hope this feeling never goes away. He only pulls away when he notices that the light has turned green, and refocuses on the road in front of him.

“I took another test this morning.” I admit, playing with the hem on my skirt.
“Oh?” He sounds nervous.
“Negative.” I whisper, wiping moisture from my eye.
He grabs my hand and places it on his knee, rubbing circles with his thumb.
“Good. That means we can continue to use making a baby as an excuse to have raging sex as often as we want.” He smiles.

I know he’s trying to make me feel better, but I can’t help but feel worse. He wants a baby so bad and we haven’t been able to conceive yet. It’s been a month of non-stop sex. At least once a day, unless he isn’t home.

“It’ll happen, Charlie. We have the rest of our lives to make a baby together.”
“What if we can’t?” I whisper.
“If we can’t, then we look into other options. Adoption has always been an interest of mine, especially once I got drafted and realized I’d have the money to help a little kid in need.”

My eyes furrow in confusion. He’s never mentioned this to me before.
“I didn’t know that.” I say.
“Yeah. It’s not something I’ve ever shared with anyone. I figured it would just come up when the time is right. And I guess now the time is right.”
“I think that’s very noble of you.”
He smiles. “I’m glad you aren’t opposed to it.”

We pull into the hotel and get out of the car. Sean hands the keys to the valet before leading me into the lobby. When we reach the front desk, Sean wraps his arm around my shoulder.

“I’ve been waiting forever to do this.” He whispers, confusing me for a second.
“Good afternoon, welcome. Are you checking in?” The lady at the desk asks.
“Yes, it’s under Couturier.” Sean responds. She clicks at her computer quickly.
“Ah, yes.” Her eyes go wide. “Welcome, Mr. And Mrs. Couturier. Um- let me get your room keys for you.”

The fact that she just called me Mrs. Couturier makes my heart swell. But her suspicious behavior makes me eye Sean, who is trying to hold back his laughter. She hands us our keys and explains how to get to our suite, fumbling around for a second. I kinda feel bad for her, she seems so nice and yet something is making her so nervous. We head for the elevator and as soon as we’re inside the doors Sean cracks up.

“Would you like to explain why she just freaked out?” I ask, a smile tugging on my lips.
“Oh man, that was fantastic!” He howls.
“Sean!” I laugh. “Explain.”
“Since I’m supposed to be staying at the house, I had to go through the NHL offices to book the suite. So when I did, I made sure to make us VIP guests. Like, very important. Top of the line important.” He chuckles.
“You’re so mean!” I smack his chest, but I’m smiling. “That’s horrible.”
“Admit it, that was funny tho. She got so flustered.”
I laugh. “Okay, now that I know why she was acting weird, it was funny.”

We reach our floor and Sean takes my hand, leading me to our room. We stand outside the door and he gently presses his lips to my temple.

“I know as soon as we get into that room it’s going to be a frenzy of fucking, so I just want to say right now that I love you and by becoming my wife, you’ve made me the happiest man in the world. I love you, Mrs. Couturier.”

I press my lips to his in a sweet embrace.
“I love you too, Mr. Couturier. You’ve officially made me the happiest and luckiest woman in the world. I fell bad for every woman who isn’t your wife.”
He nuzzles my nose with his and presses another kiss to my lips.
“Now open the door so we can get to the fun stuff.”

As soon as the door is open, Sean tosses his bag to the side and picks me up by the ass. Before the door is even closed, he’s pushing me against it, grinding his hips into mine. His lips smash against mine, and my fingers work furiously to rid his glorious chest of the shirt covering it. He pulls away just enough for me to slide the polo over his head and his lips go to work on my neck, biting and licking exactly the way he knows I love. My hands travel south and begin working on his belt buckle. I finally pop his pants open and shift my hips so I can slide them down. They pool at his feet and he steps out of them, carrying me to the bed. He falls backwards, with me on top of him and gropes at my ass. “You’ve got too much on.” He mumbles, pawing at my shirt.

This is what I’ve been waiting for all day. I pull away from him and stand up, earning a small moan of disapproval. He pushes up on his arms and watches me intently as I slowly begin untying the strings on the sides of my shirt. They finally come undone and I let the shirt drop to the floor, leaving me in a white lacy strapless bra. Sean’s eyes practically pop out of his head and his jaw drops to the floor.

He shifts so he’s sitting on the edge of the bed and pull me to him, settling my legs between his. His calloused hands run up my side from my hips to my chest, settling under my breasts. His mouth finds my nipple through the thin fabric of my bra and bites down gently.

“Sean.” I whisper. “Wait.”
I take a step back and he whimpers. But his protest cuts short when he sees me sliding my skirt down, revealing a matching white lace g-string.
“Turn.” He demands.
I slowly face the wall, giving him a view of my ass. I hear him groan and an idea pops into my head. I reach behind me and undo the clasp on my bra, letting it fall to the floor. My hands cup my breasts and I pull at one of my nipples, releasing a soft moan.
“Fuck me.” He whines.

I turn back to him and find him palming at himself through his briefs. I can feel my panties dripping.

“Stand.” I demand. He does, and I let my fingers slide into the waistband of his briefs. I slowly slide them down over his massive thighs, springing his erection free. I give his head a sloppy wet kiss, earning a moan. “Sit against the headboard.” I tell him. He smiles, and he knows what’s coming next. We rarely have sex with me on top since my accident, because it takes a lot out of me. Even though me riding him is his favorite position, I still have to hold back. We’ve figured out some adjustments so that it’s easier for me, but it’s still difficult. Since my left leg is useless, I essentially have to put all my weight on my right leg, and use my arms to move up and down.

He slides backwards on the bed so he’s sitting against the pillows, his strong shoulders resting against the headboard. His eyes are glued to me as I trail my fingers down my abdomen, hooking them around the string of my panties. His fingers wrap around his dick, not moving. He just needs to feel the pressure right now. I slide my panties down and step out of them.

Crawling on all fours, I make my way up the bed until my mouth reaches his thighs. I lean down and bite gently into his muscle, earning a tug from his hand on his cock. I trail my lips up to his hip, biting into the flesh there and earning another tug.

“You fucking tease.” He complains, but I know he’s loving it.
“Did you see the mirror behind me?” I ask, trailing my lips up his chest.
“Oh, fuck.” He breathes.
My mouth makes its way up to his neck and I spread my legs, straddling his lap. His hand leaves his cock and grabs my left leg, angling it the way he knows it has to go. My left hand grabs his shoulder and my right finds a notch on the headboard to hold on to. He grabs his dick and lines it up with my entrance, probing at it.

“Kiss me.” He whispers. I press my lips to his firmly and lower myself, sliding inch by glorious inch onto his cock. We both release moans of pleasure and his hands both quickly move to my hips, squeezing tightly. “Fuck, Charlie.” He whispers, letting his head fall back. “I always forget how fucking good this feels.”

I move my lips to his ear and begin moving up and down, eliciting mews from both of us.

“Watch me ride your dick, baby.” I murmur.
I can tell the exact moment when his eyes shift to the mirror behind me, because his dick twitches inside me.
“You feel so fucking good inside me, Sean.” I say, picking up my pace.
His hands help me bounce up and down on his cock, bringing both of us dangerously close to our release. His eyes never leave the mirror behind me, and his movements become frantic.
“Baby, slow down I’m about to-” His words are cut off by me slamming myself fully onto him, sending him over the edge. I feel his warm cum fill me, and pepper light kisses down his neck as he rides out his orgasm. His breathing is heavy and occasionally he lets out a soft moan. I know he feels bad for coming before me.

“Charlie, I’m so sorry.” He whispers once he’s come down from his high. “I tried to hold it, but I fucking couldn’t.”
“It’s okay, baby.” I coo. “That was the point of everything I did. I wanted to make you lose control.” He sighs and rests his head backwards.
“Well, I lost control alright. Holy shit.” He chuckles slightly. “But I still wanted to make you cum too.”
“I have faith that you won’t let this night end until you’ve made me orgasm every way possible.” I laugh, kissing his forehead.
“Give me a couple seconds and we don’t even have to worry about you getting off me.”

I lay my head on his shoulder and cuddle up to him, listening to his breathing even out. I feel his cock soften slightly, and he begins tracing patterns on my back.

“You’re so fucking sexy, you know that?” He asks suddenly, his voice returning to normal.
“It helps that I have a sexy husband to want to look good for.” I respond, feeling him come to life inside me.
“Call me that again.” He demands. I pull back from my spot against his shoulder and look him in the face.
“You, Sean Couturier, are the sexiest man in the world. And I’m so lucky to call you my husband.” I state. I feel him grow to his full size quickly.

He flips us over in the blink of an eye, driving himself deep inside me.
“You have no idea how much that turns me on, hearing you call me your husband.” He growls. “God, I’m going to fuck you so hard.”

I mew my agreement and he begins plowing me. His hips tilt and he hits my spot dead on, causing me to scream out.

“Fuck, Sean! Oh, God.” I cry out, curling my right leg around his hip. My nails dig into his back, causing him to groan and thrust harder. The little ball of fire in my core is growing and I know I’m practically there.

“You’re so fucking sexy, Charlie Couturier.”

That puts me over the top, and I feel myself break into ecstasy. I bite into Sean’s shoulder to muffle my scream and he slows down, letting me ride out my first orgasm of the night.

“That’s it, baby.” He coos, rocking into me gently. “I’m always going to make you feel that good. I promise.”

I whimper softly and he leans down to kiss me.

“Relax, baby. I’m going to make sweet love to you now. And then when we’re both ready, I’ll fuck you again.”

Fucking hell. Three cheers for the stamina of a professional athlete.

“Sean.” I moan. “Fuck. I love you.”
“I love you too, Charlie.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yo, fuck that bitch Anne.

I honestly didn't want to make this NC-17.....
But it's their wedding night. So oops. :)

I think the next chapter is going to be the epilogue, and the end of this story.
BUT if there's interest, I'll start another sequel (tri-quel? what the hell is a third one called?) that picks up after this one. Only if there's enough interest, though.