‹ Prequel: These Things We Do
Sequel: A New Life

The Maroon Beret

Four

-Brayden-
Ever since the other night in the hotel when we talked to Charlie, Sean has been a different person. I’m not sure what she said to him, but it worked. He’s actually making an effort to interact with us outside of practices and games, and everyone is noticing. It’s starting to feel like he’s a normal member of the team again. By no means is he okay, that much I know. But it’s definitely nice to see that familiar smile on my friend’s face every once in a while. I also know he found a local support group for military families and started going to their meetings. It took him two and a half months to finally admit that he needed help, but now he’s getting it. That’s all that matters.

Unfortunately, the media got wind of Sean’s personal issues and of course had to make a huge deal out of it. I don’t really understand why they care that he’s going to a support group. His fiancee could be killed at any point defending her country! If any of them were in the same position, they would be seeking help as well. We’ve all been doing our best to distract them from his personal life. Janine and I even did a public announcement about our engagement, including a photo shoot that we both kinda thought was lame.

To be honest, the reactions to his situation around the league have really surprised me. This sport is so tough, and guys typically jump on anyone who shows any weakness. But the guys from other teams have actually been really supportive of him. I’ve been around when a bunch of them have stopped him either before or after games and told him they appreciated her service and his sacrifice. I think it helps him to know that the league isn’t judging him for needing someone to talk to during this time.

We’re heading out of morning skate together when we hear his name being called. I look behind us and see Eric and Jordan Staal jogging towards us. They’re just heading into our arena for their practice before tomorrow’s game. As they stop in front of us, I can tell they’re here to talk about Charlie. Everyone always has the same face when that’s what they’re here for, a mix of respect and pity.
“Hey man, we just wanted to see how you’re doing.” Eric says, shaking Couts’s hand.
“Yeah, our cousin’s husband is in the military so we kinda know what you’re going through.” Jordan adds.

It’s funny, I used to hate him when he played for the Penguins. He was such a tool both on and off the ice, always giving hockey players a bad reputation. I guess moving to Carolina with his brother and getting married changed him.

“Thanks guys.” Sean says. “It’s hard, but I’m starting to get used to it.”
It’s his standard answer. They both nod their heads.
“Our cousin joined a therapy group, too. She was miserable before she did, and they really helped her get through each of his deployments.” Jordan starts.
“We just wanted to tell you how much we respect what you’re going through. I bet a lot of guys are giving you shit for seeking help, but we understand.” Eric finishes.
I laugh a little and they look at me.
“It’s funny, actually. Everyone always says the same thing. I guess no one has high expectations for anyone else in the league.” They chuckle and Sean smiles. We hear their coach call them for practice.
“Thanks, guys. It really means a lot to know that I’ve got a good support system behind me.” Sean says, shaking their hands.
“I know we’re not good friends or anything, and we’re all the way in Carolina- but if you need anything that we could help you with, let us know.” Eric adds before heading towards the door.

We head towards our cars and I notice that my friend is smiling.
“You know, I thought everyone would give me shit too.” He says. “I mean, I’m attending meetings with a bunch of women who sit around and talk about how much they depend on their husbands. And I’m agreeing with everything they bring up. I’m a total bitch about it, but even guys like Jordan Staal are telling me they respect what I’m going through.”
“It’s definitely not what I was expecting either.” I agree.

As we reach the parking lot, I notice a woman leaning against Sean’s car. He notices her too, and I feel him tense up next to me. He groans and curses under his breath.
“Can I help you?” He asks, not too nicely. I’m taken back with the tone of his voice. This is way out of character for him.
“Well that’s not a nice way to greet a friend.” She smiles, flipping her blonde hair over her shoulder.
“I’m sorry, but I’m not your friend.” He responds. She doesn’t even bat an eyelash, but turns her attention towards me.
“Hi, I’m Kelsi.” She purrs, sticking her hand out. “With an i, not a y.”
I shake her hand cautiously. “Pleasure to meet you.”
“Where are you boys off to?” She asks, placing her hand on Sean’s bicep. He shifts uncomfortably.
“We have lunch plans.” He responds shortly. Her fingers are now trailing down his torso and he pulls away. “Which we’re already late for. So if you’ll excuse us, we should be going.” He throws his bag into the back of his car and sends me a look, basically telling me to get the hell out of here. She pouts, but doesn’t press any farther.
“Here’s my number.” She says seductively, pulling out a card and placing it in his hand. “Give me a call when you finally get tired of waiting around for that girl.”
His face turns furious, and he jerks away to get into his car.
“It was nice meeting you.” She says to me. I nod politely and open my door.
“I’m gonna head home and change real quick. See you there, man.” Couts calls and I wave to him.

I pull up to my house and turn the engine off. My driveway is littered with cars, so I know some of the guys are already here. Janine is going to kill me for not getting home earlier. As soon as I walk through the door, I’m instantly rewarded with an amazing smell. In the kitchen, I find my beautiful fiancee chatting with my brother while stirring what looks like pasta sauce on the stove. Over the breakfast bar, I can see some of the other guys in the living room playing NHL on my xbox.
“You know, I figured as my brother you’d have some sort of respect when it came to my woman.” I joke, getting their attention. I am lucky enough that the two most important people in my life get along really well, and it’s become a joke between the three of us that Luke would have picked her up if I hadn’t gotten there first.
“It’s not my fault you left her here to fend for herself.” He laughs.
“Yeah, where were you?” Janine demands with a smile. Our conversation has drawn in some of the other guys, who jump up on the counters.

“I was with Couts. We got stopped by the Staals on our way out of Wells Fargo. They wanted to talk to him about Charlie. Apparently their cousin’s husband is in the military, so they kinda know what he’s going through. Then some chick was waiting for him at his car and we got stuck talking to her.” They all give me bewildered looks and I realize what I was implying. “Oh, no! Not like that!” I shout out. “I mean, she was like a bunny or something. Totally pushing it. He clearly knew her from before, but he wasn’t dealing with any of her shit.” Their faces softened. “Her name was like Kelli or something. With an i, not a y.”
“Kelsi?” Rinaldo asks, and I stare at him.
“Yeah, that’s it. How do you know her?” He groans.
“She’s definitely a bunny, dude. She was at the bar the other night, trying to get him to go home with her. He had no interest but she wouldn’t leave him alone. I had to jump in and distract her so he could get away.”
“Oh, he told me about that!” G chimes in. “He was frustrated and said she wouldn’t take a hint, even when he mentioned he’s engaged.”
“Yup, that’s the one.” Rinny confirms.
“That was right before I told him to just go home, wasn’t it?” Janine asks. G and Rinaldo both nod their heads.

As we’re discussing, I hear my front door slam and an angry Sean comes barreling into the kitchen. “Who the hell does she think she is?” He yells, surprising all of us. “I told her the other night at the bar that I wasn’t interested. And then again when she followed me out to my car. I’m engaged, for fuck’s sake! I don’t fucking know this girl. You know, I could have forgotten about the night at the bar and left it alone, but then she shows up after practice and practically shoves her number into my hands. Calling Charlie ‘that girl’ like she’s nothing? Like I’m ever going to want another woman other than her?! Fuck no! And then, on top of it all, she has the fucking nerve to follow me home and try to force me to let her into my apartment?! That’s fucking creepy and completely not okay!” He ends his rant by punching the wall, leaving a hole. We’re all stunned in silence. This is so out of character for our typically well-mannered team mate. He takes a deep breath and sits down on one of the chairs at the breakfast bar, holding his head in his hands. We all stand there for a minute in dead silence, trying to process what just happened. “Sorry I kinda put a hole in your wall.” He finally says, looking at me.

“It’s okay, Sean. I wanted to repaint anyway. I don’t really like this color.” Janine says quickly. She’s clearly the first out of all of us to regain some composure. “Why don’t you guys go in the dining room and set the table. Sean and I will plate everything and bring out lunch.” It’s not really a question, and we can all tell. I grab the plates and head towards the dining room, my teammates following my lead.

“Is there any way we can get him that angry before a game and just unleash him on whoever we don’t like?” Luke whispers, pulling chuckles from all of us.
“Seriously, that was crazy as fuck.” Mase agrees.
“Now I gotta fix that hole.” I grumble.
“I had a bad feeling about her at the bar. I just thought she was a bunny, tho. I didn’t know she was psycho. What do we do, cap?” Rinaldo asks.
G just shakes his head. “I’m not sure. I’ll start by telling security about her. That way they’ll know not to let her in anywhere. Or at least keep an eye out for her.”
“Makes sense. I can’t believe she followed him home.” Raffl adds.
“Bitches be cray.” We all have to laugh at our crazy goalie for trying that one.

Janine and Sean walk in just as we finish setting everything out and place lunch on the table. He looks a little less angry, and I’m instantly proud of Janine for whatever she said to him. “Before we start eating, I’d like to formally apologize for my outburst.” Sean begins. “It was not appropriate and unfair to all of you.”
“It was totally appropriate.” Raffl speaks up. “She can’t take a hint, even when you tell her straight up. We get it.”
“And she fucking followed you home. That’s totally deserving of an angry rant of epic proportions like that one.” Rinaldo chimes in.
Sean looks relieved to hear that we are understanding of his outburst.
“Dude, just help me fix the wall on our next day off and we’re good.” I add with a smile.
“I can do that.” He responds.

We all dig in and conversation is at a minimum for a while. Everyone is just enjoying the delicious food my wonderful fiancee cooked for us. “Definitely should have scooped you up first.” Luke jokes and we all laugh. At the end of the meal, we all help clean up before collapsing onto the couches and starting up the xbox again. Not too much longer, Janine’s phone goes off and she steps into the other room to take it. We’re discussing how to beat the Hurricanes tomorrow when she comes back in, flustered.
“That was Johanna. She and Kimmo were at Scott’s place when TJ just went into labor!” She announces excitedly. Everyone cheers.
“Ah, shit. That means there’s about to be another Hartnell in the world!” G exclaims, and we all laugh.
“She said they’re going with them, and she’ll text me when the baby is born so we can all go over and visit them.”

I smile and pull her into my lap. One day soon that’s going to be me and her, bringing a baby into this world together. If you had told me a couple of years ago that I would be engaged and thinking about kids, I would have called you crazy. Yet somehow I’ve found myself with the most wonderful woman, imagining what our future kids will look like. I can’t wait to be a father, especially with Janine as my partner in crime. I wonder if she’s willing to start before we’re married...
♠ ♠ ♠
Two updates tonight!!!! Woohoo!

Comments would be really nice! (hint hint)