This Is Only the Beginning

Day 68

Have you ever had a moment where you feel stuck in time? A second seems to drag on. That's what it felt like; being forced into watching her die. Slow and agonizing. I don't care who you are, you're never prepared for something like that. Her screams echoed, carried by the wind. She fell silent as blood filled her lungs, choking her. Gasping for air she reached out for me. I couldn't get to he. Only a few feet separated us but it looked like miles. I waited to meet the same fate. Her body became still, quiet, lifeless. Any minute she would turn and come after me.
"What are you waiting for? Just kill me already." I begged.
"Now what kind of fun would that be?" They laughed.
"In the old days when a sister betrayed her coven they did kill her. Perfect justice yes but to quick. Why just kill a traitor when you can make them suffer first." Rae smirked.
"Consider this your punishment dear girl."
"If she's this upset over her, I can't wait to see her reaction to us killing the rest of her little group." Rae teased.
"The little traitor deserved it." Jinx snapped.
The body on the ground began to twitch.
"Oh look sisters, the bff is waking up. Release her Jinx." Lidiah ordered.
I collapsed to the ground.
"Come along sisters, let them have some girl time. They can braid each others hair, do their names, grab a bite to eat. We'll be seeing you real soon though." Their laughter echoed as they disappeared into the night.

A moan rose from her throat, then a snarl. Her lifeless eyes found my gaze. Nothing in them but hunger and the desire to tear apart my flesh. Everything we had shared together, no longer dwelled within her. She crawled towards me, scratching at my shoes. I allowed her to come closer. Part of me just wanted her to bite me, get this so called life over with. The other part thought about the people I would be leaving behind. She crawled closer and closer, pulling at my skirt. All I could do was look at her. Hoping somewhere the woman I had loved as a sister was still in there, but I knew better. She was long gone. It didn't make burying the knife into her skull any easier. Now she was nothing but a corpse in my lap.

A Month Earlier

Day 68-It's a quiet morning as usual. The sun is beginning to rise above the trees. There's a calm breeze blowing, rustling the leaves. I can't remember the last time I watched the sun rise so many days in a row. Sleep doesn't come easy now a days. Just two months ago everything was fine. Now, the dead control the world. Yet, somehow the little farm I found refuge in just last month remains untouched. For how long I wonder.

Somethings coming though, I can feel it in the wind. I fear for what it may be. Hershel remains optimistic that this will all blow over soon. Others in the house have a little more sense. All he says is have faith. Honestly, I think we need more than just plain faith. I've seen whats out there, we need a miracle. No amount of faith or praying will be enough for something like this.

"I knew I'd find you out here, writing away in that journal. What is it with you and that thing?" Beth asked, startling me.
"Have to keep track of the days somehow." I half joked.
"What's the point? They all just mold together."
"It's good to keep record of what goes on. I can look back and see how much has changed, how we've all evolved."
She smiled.
"Here, look at this. Exactly one month ago you discovered you had magical abilities."
"It's been a month already? Doesn't feel like it. What did you write that day?" She asked intrigued.
"Day 38. What started as a day I have always feared, turned out to be one of the greatest. Beth, the youngest daughter of the house discovered my secret. My first thought, was that she would react like everyone else, with fear and misinterpretation. Instead, she did the opposite. She was curious. She wanted to know everything there is to know about being a witch. What surprised me the most is what I discovered not about myself but about Beth. She too has magical abilities. My only hope is that she accepts her gifts and who she is. I know with the right teachings she will blossom into the powerful woman I know she can be."
I sat patiently waiting for her response. All she did was smile.
"This journal not only holds the accounts of what happens each day, but also what you accomplish and how much you grow as a young witch. Maybe you should keep a journal. Record what you see from your point of view." I encouraged.
"You know that's not a bad idea."
She leaned behind me.
"Which is why I've already been doing it." She smiled, pulling out her own journal.
We both laughed.

The screen door opened.
"Morning Otis. Where are you off to?"I asked.
"Goin huntin. Feelin a lil cooped up." He said tipping his hat.
"Okay you be careful now." Beth called after him.
"See yall later." He waved.
"What do you say we get a little fresh air ourselves?" I asked.
Beth didn't say anything, she just jumped up and headed off the porch.
"Hey! Wait for me!" I called, running after her.

****

We spent the morning working on illusions. Something Beth really enjoyed doing. She was getting better by the day.
"You'll be a powerful witch in no time Beth."
"Only because I have a great teacher."
A sudden gun shot caught our attention.
"What was that?" Beth asked, worry in her voice.
"Maybe Otis found something." I replied.
We stood there for a moment pondering the possibility then ran for the house.
"Did you guys hear that?" Maggie asked, running outside.
"Yeah, do you think it was Otis?" Beth asked.
"It had to be but just in case lets all go inside." Maggie suggested. Beth and I agreed.

Moments later we saw a man running towards the house. He looked like he was carrying something.
A child.
We all rushed out.
"Was he bit?" Hershel asked.
"Shot, by your man." The man answered, winded.
"He said find Hershel. Is that you? Help me, help my boy." He pleaded.
"Get him inside! Patricia, I need my full kit. Maggie, pain killers, coagulates, grab everything. Erie, clean towels, sheets, alcohol." He ordered.
We all rushed off in different directions of the house.
"I was tracking a buck. Bullet went through it." I heard Otis explain as we entered the room.
"The deer slowed the bullet down, which certainly saved his life, but it did not go through clean. It broke up into pieces." Hershel explained.
"You know his blood type?" Hershel asked.
"A Positive. Same as mine."
"That's fortunate. Don't wander far, I'm gonna need you."
"My wife doesn't know." The man panicked.
"I'll go find her." I offered.
"No Erie, I need you here. Maggie, take a horse and find Rick's wife." Hershel instructed.
"Where's your wife?" Maggie asked Rick.
"About a mile back through the woods, maybe two."
Maggie rushed out.
"We need some space to work on your boy. Patricia can show you where to clean yourself up."
Rick hesitated, he didn't want to leave his son. Who would?

"We need to get the fragments out. Bring Rick back in." Hershel instructed me.
I hurried out of the room and grabbed Rick.
"He needs blood."
The boy began to cry.
"Hold him down." Hershel ordered, beginning to pull out the bullet fragments.
The boy screamed.
"Almost there." Hershel informed.
The boy continued to scream.
"Stop! You're killin' him!" Rick shouted.
"Rick, do you want him to live?" Hershel asked.
"He needs blood. Erie do it now." He ordered.
I sat Rick down. The boy quieted down.
"He passed out. One down. Five to go." Hershel stated pulling out a fragment.
"Pressures stable." Patricia stated.
Rick was relieved for the moment.

I helped him outside to get some fresh air. Another man sat waiting on the porch. When he saw us he jumped up.
"How's Carl?" He asked.
"He's stable. The bullet shattered on impact. Got one out. There's five more left." Rick sighed.
I left the two of them to talk.
Back in the room Hershel was examining the boy, Carl.
"What's wrong Hershel?" I asked, worried about the answer.
"His pressures dropping. I fear he has internal bleeding."
"We don't have the equipment for that." I sighed, knowing what was to come.
"I have to talk to Rick. Keep an eye on him."
Hershel got up and left the room.

I stayed by his bedside. He was pale, his breathing was shallow. I wanted to help him. To save him. Somehow we needed to get that equipment. The door opened.
"Otis and that fella Shane went for supplies." Hershel Patricia informed me.
"Where?" I asked confused.
"The high school, where they set up that FEMA shelter before they got overrun. Otis thinks it's clear now." She said, worry in her voice. I hugged her. I knew she feared for his safety.
"He's feels responsible so he's doing whatever he can to help."
"It'll be okay. This kid is going to make it. I know he will." I reassured her. I just hoped I was right.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello all. It's good to get back into writing. So much has been going on this last year and a half. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with this story and not make everybody wait super long for updates. I attempted to write a Walking Dead story before but gave up on it because I felt that it wasn't going anywhere but I have faith in this one. I haven't really seen anything with a supernatural base to it so I really hope you guys like it. As always questions and comments are always welcome. Thanks for reading.