Sequel: Radiate
Status: Finished // Currently edditing/correcting the mistakes.

As I Follow This Little Lies

Dead Serious

The silence that filled the whole area wasn't comforting at all. It was filled with tension, uneasiness and confusion. Billie's eyes shifted from his current girlfriend to his ex-wife in confusion and curiosity. Something told him there was more than they let him know and he didn't like it at all. Curiosity won and he directed his emerald gaze to Brittany, who stared at Sydney with some weird triumph or even preponderance. Sydney looked at her with fear and glanced at Billie and than back at her feet, thinking frantically about something.

"What kind of sick deal did you two come up with, hm?" Billie asked, shaking his head just a little. "Do I look like some kind of toy to buy on the sale?"

Brittany shrugged and she looked at Sydney, shaking her head and taking a step foreword. Billie raised his eyebrow, confused by the sudden change in Brittany's mood. Since when did she pay so much attention to Sydney? His girlfriend didn't look at Billie even for a moment. She seemed to be absorbed in her own thoughts as she eyed hatefully the lead singer of Strawberry Acid. The kind of gaze that Billie never saw in Brittany's eyes. Billie cleared his throat and again looked at Brittany, this time his face didn't show any emotion.
"What is it all about?" he asked and Sydney looked up at him pleadingly. He ignored her stare. He was sick of the secrets and he hated the fact that there was something going on without him knowing. Decisions that he should take. Not any of them. There was no reply and Brittany just glared at Billie swiftly what confused him to the point that he got angry suddenly. It seemed that none of them wanted to tell him.

"Can we talk about this later, Brittany?" Sydney asked, trying to control her voice, not to let anyone know what she felt at that moment. She was so scared that she barely could stop her body from shaking and her voice from cracking. She still had in front of her eyes that sharp knife and a promise that Billie would find out as soon as she breaks the deal. She felt like she was about to throw up. She felt numb and her heart was beating a little quicker. She refused to look at Billie or challenge Brittany with her gaze. "I think we can talk about this without your boyfriend."

Billie's eyes landed on Sydney with disbelief. He didn't know, if he heard it right. Did she just want to get rid off of him just like there was some kind of mystery? He had the right to know. The minutes passing by only angered him more and more. Brittany shook her head and smiled maliciously.
"Brittany. I guess you disturbed in our conversation. Come back later." Billie said, as another minutes passed by with both girls being silent. He could as well make Sydney tell him everything in private.
"No." she replied angrily. "I won't leave the two of you alone! Not this time."
"Come on, we just need to talk." Billie said with a roll of his eyes.
"I know what kind of we need to talk you mean, Billie!" Brittany snarled "I saw you two. You remember, Sydney."

Billie looked angrily at Sydney and shook his head as the girl still stared at the ground, not saying anything. She was biting her lip, looking so resigned.
"I don't know what are you talking about, Brittany." Sydney looked up at the green eyed guitarist. He looked so serious, like he just found out about it and tried to convince his girlfriend that he was innocent. "I can't believe that you-"
"Save it. I know what I saw. I'm not as dumb as you think." she shook with anger and Billie stood there not really touched by her anger. He didn't care that much. He only wanted not to get into more arguments with her. "Knowing you... you probably cheated on me, huh?"
He didn't reply. Sydney knew what her rival tried to do and she was even more nervous than before. Billie's jaw clenched even more and he furrowed his brows, challenging Brittany with his gaze. He wasn't about to admit this. For this, Sydney could feel somehow... thankful. Brittany sighed irritated.

"I think I'm not so wrong about one thing." she said slowly, careful not to anger her lover any more. "Why everything has to end the same, Billie? Do you even care for me?"
His face changed from angered to a confused one. Brittany looked at him hopeful, forgetting about Sydney, listening intently. She had mixed feelings about this. She wanted Billie to say he didn't care about her, but then what would Brittany do? This was like a dead end.
"You're my girlfriend, right? I guess I do then." he shrugged his shoulders, avoiding her gaze.
"You don't." Brittany hissed. "It's always about her." she nodded at Sydney with disgust painted all over her face. "What if you were about to chose? Right now? What would you do, Billie Joe?"
"But you don't mean it." Sydney whispered. "You want one clear answer."
No one payed attention to Sydney's words. The corners of Billie's mouth twitched into a faint smile and he laughed, confusing Brittany.
"What kind of joke is that?"
"I'm not joking." Brittany replied calmly. "I'm dead serious. It was always about Sydney."
"Goddamn it. Will you stop this already?" Billie stopped laughing and once again he was glaring at his girlfriend. "I'm not about to chose anyone. I'll do whatever the hell I want and none of you can stop me. I can't believe, Brittany that you suspect I'd come back to Sydney."
"That doesn't change the fact that you care for her more than me." she looked down at the ground. Her arms shook and Billie's mouth opened slightly as he didn't know what to say.

Sydney wrapped her arms around herself, refusing to look at Billie, who just managed to hurt her even more. What was she expecting after all? Billie made a step foreword to Brittany, but she wasn't crying. She was laughing just like someone just said a good joke, but her face showed nothing more than madness. Her eyes seemed to be empty. She looked at Billie Joe once again and laughed even more. "Do you think that you can lie to me like that?"
"Do you think I'm some dumb blond? Billie, sweetheart. You're blind. I'm not stupid. I know you love her. You even call her name while you're sleeping and you're always staring at her that way." she looked at Sydney. "We talked about this the other day, Syd."
"Don't say anything the both of us will regret." Sydney said in a dry voice, staring straight into Brittany's eyes. "It's not worth it."
"Right." Brittany laughed. "I still remember your words. You'll be the only one regretting anything here. Not me."

A shiver run down Sydney's spine and she was pale, but what was this feeling? She wasn't scared. She didn't feel anything, but the adrenaline building up in her. She didn't know what might happen next. Brittany wasn't making any sense to her at all. Was she going to tell him about pregnancy? Words Sydney would regret?
"Brittany, hun. Let's talk in private on the bus." Billie regained control over his voice and smiled at her nicely. A grimace of anger run through her face and she hid her hands behind herself.
"Don't you talk to me like that." Brittany replied and Billie sighed heavily. "Better leave now. Me and Sydney have some business to talk about."
"I'm not going anywhere." Billie said through clenched teeth, glaring at his girlfriend once again. Brittany snickered and shook her head.
"Do you still love her?"
"What the fuck got into you!" Billie exclaimed, throwing his hands into the air.
"Do you?!" Brittany pulled out a gun and pointed it at him. His eyes went wide and his mouth opened and closed slowly. A triumphant smile appeared on Brittany's face. Sydney paled even more and her eyes clouded over with tears. "I think you do."

The gun was pointed next at Sydney and Brittany let out a mocking sound.
"Whose laughing now, hm?" Billie color drained from his face and he was about to make a step forward to Brittany when he realized the gun was pointed at Sydney and it wasn't some kind of stupid joke. It was real. His heart was beating faster and he knew he had to do something, before someone gets hurt. Mainly he thought about Sydney. "Stay where you are!" Brittany loaded the gun, still pointed at Sydney. "I might accidentally shot her."
Billie looked at Sydney and gulped, seeing her shaking, with tears streaking down her face. It seemed like her knees were going to give away any time soon. She was clutching her stomach and mumbling something.
"Brittany, goddamn it!" Billie said in a weak voice, a little above a whisper. "What the hell are you trying to do!"
"I'm doing what I was told to do long time ago." she shrugged nonchalantly. "Like Sydney said once... You won't have him. Not until I'm dead. or something like that. Well, I guess she was right. I'm fixing the problem."
"Put that damned gun down!" Billie cried out. "We're together. What else do you want."
"I want you to love me like you love her. I want you to care for me. I can't have any of this, because you have still feelings for her. If she disappears... We'll be happy finally."
"You can't just kill her!"
"Yes, I can." Brittany said, looking with interest at Sydney, she wasn't there anymore. Mentally. She was staring at the gun with fear, shaking and crying. "Maybe I won't have to kill her."
"Leave her alone." Billie spat. "It's between you and me. She's got nothing to do with this."
"Of course she does!" Brittany yelled. "Leave now, Armstrong."
"No." he clenched his fists. "I'm not going anywhere."
"You fool. Go." Sydney turned her head to look at him pleadingly. He shook his head. "Please. It's not the smartest thing to do. Go."

They stared at each other pleadingly, not aware of Brittany's anger raising as she saw the way they were looking at each other.
"After re-thinking... Billie, stay here. It's better if you see her dead, huh? You won't call for help. You won't do anything." she laughed. "If I can't have you.... I'll have to kill you too."
"Don't." Sydney said loud enough for her to hear. "Kill me, but let him live."
"I don't think so." Brittany shook her head and pointed her gun at Billie. Sydney made a step foreword towards the blond girl, determined to do anything to stop her from hurting Billie. He was rooted to the spot, but once Brittany's gaze caught Sydney moving towards her and the gun wasn't pointed at him anymore he screamed for her to run, but she was like frozen. She looked at him and he was running towards her. Everything was like in a slow motion. Brittany pulled the trigger. A loud shot was heard, but Billie already was by Sydney's side, they fell to the ground. Sydney managed to amortize the fall with her arm. Billie was over her. He saved her. She stared at him wide eyed and then realized something was wrong. Brittany stared behind them with gun still in the air, but eyes opened wide, mumbling something. Billie had a grimace of pain written all over his face. He sat back, clutching his right arm as scarlet blood was trickling down from his wound. Apparently, Brittany never took shooting lessons.

"Billie!" she screamed and got to her knees.
"It's nothing." he smiled weakly at her. "Really."
"So you'll even die for her?" Brittany shook her head. "Fine."
This time it was Sydney, who pushed Billie out of way. there was more than one shot. Both lead singers were lying on the ground. Sydney's leg and forearm were bleeding, but both of them were still breathing. There was some kind of commotion. Shots directed into the sky. Someone screamed something. Brittany screamed also. Billie crawled over to Sydney, bending over her. She hit her head on the asphalt and blood was dripping down from the small wound.
"I'll get you out of here, Sydney." he whispered and tried taking her in his arms.
"Leave me. You're more important."
"Stop this stupid talking, Sydney!" Billie exclaimed, looking her straight in her eyes. "We're getting alive from here together."
Her eyes were looking back at him, but she felt so dizzy. Billie looked worried at her thigh and arm that were bleeding and what she read from his face wasn't anything good. Her eyes were heavy.
"Stay with me! Sydney!" he caught her left arm tightly, trying to keep her awake. "Everything will be okay."
"It will." she smiled weakly.

"Someone call the ambulance!" Billie yelled over his arm. That's when Sydney realized there was more people around them. It seemed someone heard the shots. The sirens were heard in the distance. Sydney stared at Billie, who was saying something to her all the time. She wasn't quiet sure what. She felt like she was under water. Everything was so distant.
"Billie.." she said in a weak voice. "I'm..."
"Sh. Don't say anything. It'll be okay." he reassured her, grazing her cheek and smiling at her.
"But... you need to know." she whispered. He put a finger over her mouth to silence her.
"Just lay still. Don't force yourself to do anything."
Someone rushed over to them, someone said something to her, but then she didn't know if someone shut off the light or she just lost conscious. She only knew that nothing was spinning anymore around her.