‹ Prequel: Chances Risked
Sequel: Life's Chances

The Three C's

Chapter One Hundred One

-Maggie-
After the wedding, people started to leave to head towards the reception, while Pat and I and everyone in the wedding stayed behind to take photos. Pat and his boys were together, my girls and I were together. My parents and I, his parents and himself, everyone, Pat and I, but before it was over, I asked the photographer if I could have a picture of Troy and I together.

At the end of the photo, I bent down in the sand and looked at my four year old nephew, “Hi buddy,” I smiled and he smiled back at me, “I have something for you,” I said and Troy looked at me confused, “I was going to give it to you after the final game, but I just had a hard time parting with it.”

“What is it, Auntie?” he asked and I smiled towards him, hugged him and then kissed his head.

I looked up and saw Pat walking towards us, he stood a little behind Troy, “You probably don’t remember this,” I said and then placed my hand on the necklace that was around my neck, the gold cross that belonged to my brother, “When you were first born, you grabbed onto my necklace and didn’t let go for quite sometimes,” I said and smiled and he placed his hand on the cross, “Do you know what this is?”

“My daddy’s necklace,” he said and I nodded my head, trying not to cry, but knowing that this is an emotional moment.

“It’s the only thing I have of your father, my brother, and I told you when you were born, that when you were old enough, I would give this to you,” I said and then reached back and unclasped the chain from around my neck and held it in my hand, “You’re old enough, Troy,” I sniffled and then wiped a tear that fell, “You deserve to have something that belonged to your father,” I said and placed the chain around Troy’s neck and he watched me, “I know you call Jon you daddy,” I said and he looked at me and I smiled, “And that’s fine, he takes very good care of you.”

“He tucks me in at night with mommy and reads me stories!” he said and I giggled and nodded my head, “Mommy told me that daddy went to heaven.”

“Yes,” I sniffled and wiped my tears, “Your daddy was a good man that took care of your mommy and I until the very end, I believe he takes care of all of us from heaven too.”

“Auntie,” he called and I looked at him, he reached his little hand up and wiped my tears and then hugged me, “I love you.”

“Aw little man,” I cried out and hugged him tight, “I love you too.”

“Will you tell me more about daddy?” he asked and I laughed and nodded my head.

“Another time, I’ll tell you everything about him,” I said and then kissed his head, “Come on, we better get back to everyone.”

“Ok,” he said and I stood up, took his hand and then let him run over towards his mom, when he passed Pat, Pat ruffled his hand and then looked up at me.

“You ok?” he asked and I smiled and nodded my head, “You gave him the necklace?”

“It was time,” I said and Pat smiled and nodded his head, “I was going to give it to him after the Stanley, but- I don’t know.”

“You weren’t ready,” he said and then hugged me and kissed my shoulder, “It’ll be good for both of you.”

“You think?” I asked and Pat nodded his head and then laced his fingers with mine.

“Come on, we have a reception to go to.”

Pat and I got in our own car and drove to the reception, we were the last to walk in, everyone already there and sitting at their tables. My mom announced us in and we started to walk around, talking to everyone and taking photos with everyone.

I saw my teammates and their families, my old teammates, other players and their families, my own family, Pat’s family, friends, I did my best to go around and see everyone.

“Maggie!” I heard and turned around and smiled brightly.

“Ali!” I smiled and then hugged her tight, “You’re here! I’m so happy you’re here!”

“Thank you for inviting me, you look so beautiful!” she said and I smiled and stepped back and looked at her.

“So do you!” I giggled, “Anyone special to impress,” I teased and she blushed, I had been sending her emails about how my good friend James Neal was interested in meeting her at my wedding.

“No, but thanks for putting me at his table!” she laughed and I smiled brightly, “Always planning something and playing matchmaker!”

“That’s me!” I giggled, “Oh, congratulations on making it!”

“Thank you, I actually have rookie camp when I go back,” she said and I smiled and nodded my head, Allison had just been drafted to the Dallas Stars and was excited to play in the NHL.

“You actually might meet some of your teammates here,” I said and she nodded her head, “I know Seguin’s here, your Captain is here too, and a few others.”

“Thanks,” she said and I nodded my head, “But I think they might have me on the AHL for at least the first year.”

“Ah, you never know, that’s not what happened to Dana, or any of them last year,” I said and she smiled and nodded her head.

“Enough hockey talk, you have more people to talk to,” Allison said and I giggled and nodded my head.

“Make sure I see you before you leave, all right!” I said and she nodded her head and I left to continue my mingling.

Before I knew it, I took my spot next to Pat at our table as we ate dinner and enjoyed each other’s company. After dinner the DJ decided that he was going to introduce the bridal party and groomsmen and then reintroduced us.

And then my father decided that it was time to start the first speech of the night, “Ladies and Gentlemen, as father of the bride I have the pleasure of making the first speech. I have been given lots and lots of advice on what to or what not to say such as keep it short, no smutty jokes, try and remember names, excreta. However, it is over twenty five years since I was allowed to say anything without being disagreed with, laughed at or ignored so this is too good an opportunity to miss,” he said and the room laughed and I smiled towards my father.

“At the end of the day it is my speech and I can say what I like. I would like to start by on behalf of the brides mother, myself and grooms parents giving a warm welcome to all the relatives and friends who have joined us to celebrate Pat & Maggie’s wedding. I know that all of you have traveled long distances to be here. Thank you all for coming to help celebrate this very special day. As I look around the room I realize how many friends Pat and Maggie have and I hope that you all have a wonderful afternoon and evening.

“Today I must admit that I am the proudest dad in the world to have accompanied Maggie today. I think that you will all agree that she looked stunning. This is where I am supposed to say a few embarrassing things about her when she was younger but as she worked with me for a time she probably knows more gossip about me than I know about her so I have called a truce,” he said and I giggled as some people laughed, “Suffice it to say that my wife and I are both very proud of how she looks today and how she has grown up and are both delighted that she has found someone who she obviously loves and cares so much for.

“There are two things which we as parents try to give our children, one is roots and the other is wings. Maggie you have now grown your wings,” he chuckled, “No pun intended for being a Blackhawk,” he said and I heard some of my teammates cheer and Pat and I laughed, “Anyway,” he chuckled, “You grew your wings and fled the nest but you will still be loved all always still have roots within our family.

“And Pat, I believe that Maggie has met her perfect partner. Although we have not known Pat long both my wife and I think he is everything one could hope for in a son in law. He has many good qualities, not least of which is an ability to appreciate the finer things in life. Well, after all, he did marry our daughter didn’t he?”

The room laughed at my dad’s joke and I just smirked, shook my head and covered my face, “Oh god, he’s trying to be funny, someone stop him,” Pat chuckled and patted my hand and then laced his fingers with mine.

“Now we get to the tricky part of the speech. According to the internet's idiots guide to wedding speeches this is where I am supposed to give advice on the subject of marriage. I believe that Pat and Maggie do not need my advice. The only thing I would say is that you must choose the right partner for the right reason and I think that they both have done this.

“I suppose that after almost forty years of happy marriage I ought to be able to manage something a bit more constructive,” he said and snickers were heard, “Patrick, just remember these three words …all, just and only. You will hear them time and again. Such as, all you need to do is, it’s only costs so much and it will just take five minutes. These are all gross understatements but as a great philosopher or comedian said, women are to be loved and not understood,” Dad said and I smacked my forehead and shook my head as laughter from many were heard throughout the room, “Mind you, helping around the house is not a bad idea. I know from the crime statistics that there has never been a case of a wife shooting her husband while he was doing the washing up.

“After that I had better finish, but before that I would like to offer one or two final thoughts.
Marriage is the meeting of two minds, of two hearts and of two souls. It is clear that Pat and Maggie are a perfect example of this. May they be blessed with happiness that grows and with love that lasts and a peaceful life together. I wish them enjoyment for today, the fulfillment of all their hopes and dreams for tomorrow and love and happiness always. It is now my pleasure to propose a toast to the happy couple. Please be upstanding and raise your glasses to the bride and groom Mr and Mrs. Kane!”