‹ Prequel: Chances Risked
Sequel: Life's Chances

The Three C's

Chapter Twelve

-Toews-
“So wait- wait, wait, wait!” Sharp said, shaking his head and looking at Abby, “Coach called her into the office when we were in the locker room and she came back all depressed looking?”

“Basically-“ she stopped and we turned our heads to see Pat storming back through the doors looking pissed.

“What’s up, Pat?” I asked but he moved passed me and headed down the hall.

“Jon!” I snapped my head around and saw Maggie, “Stop him!”

I turned around and went after Pat, not knowing what’s going on but figured Pat was gunna do something stupid. Sharp came up next to him and we both grabbed Pat as he headed for Coach’s office.

“Let me go!” Pat growled as we held him back from walking through the doors. Corey and Duncan appeared and acted without asking what was going on. We pulled Pat back and he glared at all of us.

“What the hell dude?!” Corey asked.

“What’s going on?” Jon asked and the door opened and Coach walked out, looking at his players.
Coach got one look at Pat’s angry face and sighed, “I’m guessing she told you.”

“What the fuck, Coach?! You can’t do that! The league can’t do that!” Pat yelled and I was so confused.

“Can’t do what? What are they doing?” Duncan asked.

“You want to tell them- Since you told Kane,” Coach said and I turned my head to see Maggie standing there, looking sad.

“I,” Maggie sighed, “I’ll be staying with the Penguins next season-“

“What?! Why?!” I asked and took a step over towards her, “Maggie,” she just looked down and I looked back towards Pat to see him glaring at the ground, “What is the league doing?”

“They’re making a rule because, since girls are signing up for the draft and most likely be drafted onto a team, the league wants to protect their places and will announce at the end of the season that no teammate will be able to have a relationship with one another,” Coach said and my eyes widened and I looked back and forth between Pat and Maggie.

“If we want to stay together, I can’t come to Chicago,” Maggie said and I understood now, I understood why Pat was angry, he was so close to having Maggie here.

“My contract doesn’t end for a while and we both know that either of us are going to retire,” Pat said and Maggie nodded her head.

“What’s going to happen?” Duncan asked and Pat just turned around and started to walk away, “Pat!”

“It’s all right,” Maggie said and I looked at her.

“How are you calm-“

“I am NOT calm,” she barked and I took a step back, “I’m pissed! Bettman can’t fuckin’ control this! This rule can’t happen!”

“Nothing I can do, it was his decision and then a vote with the owners,” Q said and we looked at him.

“What did Wirtz vote?” Sharp asked.

“Does it matter?” Q asked, “Whatever it was- that’s what the rule is going to be.”

-Maggie-
Pat ended up leaving, so Jon gave me a ride to Trump Towers, ended up coming up with me to make sure everything would be all right. We walked through the doors and I walked towards his bedroom, saw him lying on the bed just staring up at the ceiling.

“Pa-“

“We were this close,” he growled, holding up his fingers, but not looking at me, “This close.”

“Pat,” I breathed and he stat up, I saw the bottle of Jack Daniels in his hand.

“What are we gunna do, Maggie?” Pat asked as he slid off of the bed and looked at me, still on the other side of the room.

“Just keep doing-“

“I don’t fuckin’ want to do that!” he yelled and threw the bottle across the room and I jumped when it smashed against the room, “Do you know how long I waited for you to at least go out with me?!” Pat yelled and I looked down, “I thanked god when Kris fucked up and gave me a chance to show you how to be treated! I changed everything about me to be with you Maggie! Fuckin’ suffered through the long distances! The temptations of every girl when I was out with the guys- And when we finally were together- I couldn’t wait to make you a Hawk!”

“I still can be a hawk,” I breathed and he glared at me.

“What the fucks the point?! We can’t be in a relationship!” he growled and I was sure that if he had another bottle in his hand, he would throw it, “Two fuckin’ years! TWO YEARS, Maggie!”

“What are you saying, Pat?” I asked sadly.

“I can’t do this! I fuckin’- I can’t,” Pat was looking at me, tears were in his eyes, “I waited two years to get you to stay in Chicago, for us to be on the same team- And now it can’t happen.”

I could feel myself breaking, having a feeling of where this was going, “Pat-“

“Just don’t,” he breathed and turned around, “Pittsburgh just a better place for you Maggie.”

“Pat-“

“Go home, Maggie,” he said and then crawled back into bed.

“Fine,” I bit my lip and choked back my tears, turning around and walking out of the door, slamming it as I left. Walking down the hallway and see Jon in the kitchen just looking at me, “Can you take me to the airport-“

“Maggie-“

“Please, Jon,” I said and he sighed.

“Just stay with me- Wait till he cools down-“

“He’s said what he wanted to say, Jon- He’s given up,” I cried and Jon pulled me into a hug and held me tight, “Just take me to the airport so I can go home.”

“All right, Maggie- I’m sorry.”

“I know,” I said as I walked over towards my suitcase, opened the top part and pulled out small box, Pat’s Christmas present, I left it on the counter and looked at Jon, “I’m ready.”

-Sidney-
The guys and I were back in Pittsburgh, most of us were at Diesels celebrating the New Year, it was after midnight, most of the guys were drunk. I chuckled as I watched as Kasey danced with some of the girls on the dance floor, I made sure to keep a good eye on her while we were here.

“Sid!” I heard and turned to see Beau coming over, he was drunk, but the look on his face told me something was wrong.

“What’s up?”

“Olli texted me,” he slurred and handed me his phone.

I looked down at the smartphone and read the text to myself, ‘Maggie’s home, something’s wrong’

I handed the phone back to Beau and looked back down on the dance floor; I cursed when I lost sight of Kasey, but jumped when she appeared next to me. She giggled and apologized for scaring me, “Hey, I have to go,” I said and she looked at me confused.

“Why? We’re having a good time-“

“You can stay, Vero can give-“

“Sidney, what’s wrong?” Vero asked from next to Kasey.

“Not sure-“

“I got a text,” Beau said as he popped out from behind me, “Maggie’s home.”

“Maggie?” Vero asked and I sighed, “She’s supposed to be in Chicago right now.”

“Something must have happened,” I said and Kasey looked at me.

“Go,” Kasey said and I nodded my head, she knew that Maggie was like a little sister to me, to all of us, “Make sure she’s all right and call me if you need me.”

“I’ll make sure she get’s back to your place, Sid,” Vero said and I nodded my head, quickly kissed Kasey and then turned around, moving quickly into the VIP room to grab my coat.

“Sid!” I turned and saw a drunk Geno and James, “Leavin’ already?”

“Yeah, something’s wrong with Maggie,” I said and that was like the magic word, they jumped up, leaving the girls that were attached to their hips and grabbed their coats, no asking any questions, just following.

It was a quiet drive to the house, Beau ended up coming too, wanting to know what was wrong with Maggie as well. Olli must have been waiting for us; he opened the door as soon as we stepped out of my car and moved out of the way when we walked in.

“Where is she?”

“Upstairs, she was crying before,” he said and I sighed, “She wouldn’t tell me when she got home; I was a little surprised that she was home.”

“Something must have happened with her and Kane,” James said and I nodded my head and we headed up the stairs.

I knocked on Maggie’s door and then opened it, she was still awake, sitting on her bed her knees pressed to her chest, leaning against her headboard. She wasn’t crying, but her face was red, her eyes redder and swollen. I breathed her name, but she didn’t look at any of us as we walked into the room and walked to the bed, sitting down around Maggie and looked at her.

“What happened, Maggie?” James asked, it was only a few hours ago that we were parting at the New Jersey airport with a happy excited Maggie, she was the complete opposite now, “Maggie.”

She breathed out her answer, it wasn’t loud, but it was loud enough for us to hear. My eyes widened at what Maggie had just said, telling us that Kane broke up with Maggie.

“The fuckin’ dumbass.”