‹ Prequel: Chances Risked
Sequel: Life's Chances

The Three C's

Chapter Fourteen

-Maggie-
“So what exactly happened?” Sidney whispered as he sat next to me on the bus, we were heading to the airport to fly to New York for our game against the Rangers. It was the first of our five game road trip; we were going to be touring some of Canada, playing Winnipeg, Vancouver, Edmonton and then Calgary.

“I don’t want to talk about it, Sid,” I muttered and I could feel his eyes on me.

“Maggie,” he breathed and I looked at him, “You’ve told no one what happened, you look broken.”

“Please,” I begged, “Don’t make me talk about it.”

I don’t know if he saw my eyes start to tear up again, but he just sighed and nodded his head. When we got to the airport, on the plane, I went to the back, really wanting to be by myself. I stared out the window; it was early in the morning so the sun was just starting to rise. The plane took off and when the attendant gave the all clear, I slipped my headphones in and closed my eyes.

I didn’t realize that I fell asleep until I jumped awake when I felt a plop next to me, I opened my eyes and jumped against when I found Kunitz sitting in front of me, leaning onto the back of the seat looking at me, I turned to my side and saw Marc, I was trapped. I sighed and pulled my headphones out and looked at the two, “Can I help you?”

“You can tell us what happened,” Kunitz said and I looked down and shook my head.

“No thanks, I’m good,” I said and was about to put my headphones back on when Marc took them and I glared at him, “I don’t want to talk-“

“Not talking is not going to take back whatever happened, Maggie,” Marc said and I sighed, “Come on, tell at least us what happened. You know we’re good at giving advice,” he said and I gulped, brought my knees up to my chest and wrapped my arms around them, “It’s all right, Maggie- If you want, we won’t tell anyone else.”

Marc's hand was on my knee, I looked at him and Kuntiz and sighed, “You know that I planned on being a hawk at the end of the season when my contract ran out, right?”

“Yeah,” Kunitz said, “We all know.”

“Planned?” Pascal asked and I nodded my head, “What happened? What changed?”

“Did you know that Bettman came up with a new rule that will be announced at the end of the season?” I asked and they looked at me confused, “A rule that every owner voted on.”

“What rule?” Kunitz asked.

“Because of me, more girls are signing up for the draft, they want to be a part of the NHL,” I sighed, “Which is great! But, Bettman wants to protect the players and wrote a rule that teammates will not be able to have a relationship with one another.”

“Wait- Wait- What?!” Marc asked and I nodded my head.

“Apparently it’s something all of the owners and Coaches were told about,” I muttered and then looked at the two to see them looking towards the front of the plane towards Coach.

“Does Sid know?” Kunitz asked.

“I have no idea, I would hope not, because he would think that he would at least tell me if he did,” I said and then felt Marc's arm around my shoulder and he pulled me into his side.

“So what happened with Kane?” Kunitz asked.

“He gave up,” I muttered and felt my eyes tearing up again, “He couldn’t handle the long distance anymore and gave up.”

“Maggie,” Marc breathed, “I’m sorry.”

-Sidney-
We were at the hotel in New York, Pascal was usually my roommate, but with him out with a torn ACL, I didn't have one. There was a knock on my door and I opened it and saw Marc standing there, I saw him talking to Maggie on the plane with Kuntiz, and couldn’t wait to talk to him alone. When he walked into the room I closed the door and looked at him, he must have known what I wanted.

“I can’t tell you Sid,” he said and I threw my hands in the air, “She doesn’t want to talk about it to anyone yet.”

“She talked to you!”

“We pulled it out of her,” he said and I sighed.

“Flower, come on- You’re horrible with secrets and I need to know what’s going on with Maggie- She’s not only my friend Marc- She’s my player.”

He sighed and sat on the bed and looked at me, “I’m going to ask you a question Sid, don’t lie to me,” Marc said and I nodded my head, it must be serious if he was standing up for it, “Did you know about this new rule that will be in effect at the end of the season?”

“New rule?” I asked and looked at him, “Which one, there’ll be a few.”

“The one where teammates can’t be in a relationship,” Marc said and I tensed, I did, but I didn’t think that Bettman was serious about it, “Fuck Sid! You did!”

“Yeah, Mario told me about it a while ago-“

A while ago?!” Marc growled and I sighed, “Don’t fuckin’ tell Maggie that you know this- She’ll murder you!”

“Marc-“

“This was the fuckin’ reason- I knew it was weird that you weren’t getting upset when Maggie would say that she was going to Chicago next season- You knew! You knew that the plan was going to fall through- That she wouldn’t go because of this rule!” Marc said and I sighed, sat on my bed and nodded my head, “Sidney, how could you? You know that girl is in love with him- And you participated in this heartbreak.”

“I didn’t do anything-“

“No, you didn’t- You didn’t fuckin’ tell her,” Marc growled and then headed over towards the door, opened it and walked out, slamming it closed as he left and I sighed, rubbed my face and laid back on my bed.

‘…I’m sorry Maggie, I just didn’t want to lose my team…’

-Maggie-
I was looking out the window at the city below, it was hard to grasp that Pat was only an hour down the road; he had a game against the Islanders tonight. I hadn’t heard a word from him, no a text, tweet, phone call, nothing. Jon and the others on the other hand, my phone wouldn’t shut up, constantly asking if I was all right.

Beau was out, I didn’t know where he was, there was a knock on our hotel room door and I walked over and opened it to see James. I was about to tell him that I didn’t want to talk when he walked into the room, passed me and closed the door.

“James, I really don’t-“

“What happened, Maggie?” he asked and I looked up at him, he was standing in front of me, towering over me as I leaned against the wall, “You still haven’t told me yet- We cuddled and everything,” James said trying to get me to smile at his tease, but I just looked down, “Maggie, why did Kane break up with you?”

I told James everything that I told Pascal and Kunitz on the plane, he just looked at me sadly, pulled me into a hug and I honestly didn’t want to let him go. James pulled me over towards my bed, laid down and pulled me into his side, rubbing my back as I just clung to him, trying not to think about what happened in Chicago.

-Beau-
I walked into my hotel room and was a little surprised to see Maggie and James on her bed, she was tucked under his arm and they were both asleep. I know, we were all supposed to be taking our pregame naps now, but I was just a little surprised to see this.

‘…Does Nealer like Mags?...’ I thought as I slowly walked out of the room and headed down the hall, everyone saw Maggie talking to Pascal and Kunitz on the plane today, most of them tried to get her to talk before, but just wouldn’t. I walked to a room and knocked on the door, it opened and Kuntiz appeared.

“What’s up, Sunny?” he asked and I looked passed him, seeing Marc sitting on the edge of his bed.

“I need to talk to Flower,” I said and Kunitz moved out of the way and Marc looked at me, “It won’t be long.”

“All right kid,” he smirked and then walked towards the door and then walked out, “What’s up?”

I looked back towards the door, it was closed, I walked him down to my room and opened the door, peaking inside to make sure that James and Maggie were still in the same place. I looked back at Marc and told him he needed to be quiet and just look inside, he did and then I closed the door and saw his surprised face, “Dammit Neal,” he muttered and sighed.

“Does Nealer like Maggie?” I whispered and Marc looked at me.

“If he does, then it’s new to all of us- They got close after the accident on the ice in Chicago-“

“When Maggie got cut with Kane’s blade?” I asked and he nodded his head.

“Yeah, it was right after Neal came onto the team and he and Maggie couldn’t stand each other, I don’t know what happened on the ice during that game, he was just ready to fight anyone and I guess Maggie tried to stop him and he shoved her and she fell- Yeah, well they became friends after that,” he explained and I nodded my head, this was the first I was hearing about this, “But, I don’t know, he could, but he never told anyone.”

“Is this all right?”

“I’m sure it’s nothing, Sunny- Don’t worry about it, you probably didn’t know, but Nealer and G are Maggie’s cuddle buddies,” he chuckled, “When either of them are upset with something, they’re there for each other- Another reason why they’re one of the perfect lines.”

“Yeah, all right, I think I’m just gunna stay with Nisky for now,” I said and Marc nodded his head and watched as I walked down the hall towards the bedroom and knocked on the door. Matt answered and looked like he was about to lay down for his nap, “Um, so-“

“Nealer comforting Mags?” Matt asked and I nodded my head, he moved out of the way and saw the bed that wasn’t touched and figured that to be James’, “Might as well get comfortable, pretty sure he’ll stay with her after the game too.”

‘…There’s no way that Nealer doesn’t have feelings for Maggie- There’s just no way- I’m fuckin’ pretty sure that everyone thinks about her in some way…’ I thought as I laid on the bed and stared at the ceiling, ‘…Everyone…’