‹ Prequel: Chances Risked
Sequel: Life's Chances

The Three C's

Chapter Seventeen

Pat and I were better; the petition was still going around even after three weeks, we were three days into the month of February and I was getting anxious because it was almost time to head over to Russia. The opening ceremony was on the seventh, Coach informed me that I was going to be leaving on the sixth to head to Russia, because I was going to be in the opening ceremony. Hockey players usually miss the opening ceremony because their games start a little later and their still home dealing with their regular games, but I was going to miss one of mine to go to Russia early, and apparently Boston’s Captain, Zdeno Chara was as well.

Right now I was celebrating with my team about the win we just had over the Senators in overtime. Everyone had showered and were in the middle of changing when Coach walked into the room and turned on the TV, “You’re going to want to see this Maggie,” he said and everyone turned towards the TV.

It was NHL highlights of the games tonight, Pat was on the screen and it looked like he was crying, Coach played the interview and he had explained that as he walked into the King’s rink before the game his mom called him to tell him that his grandfather had passed.

‘…Oh no…’ I remember that the man was sick, had been for a while. I remembered meeting him at Pat’s Cup day. Pat always looked up to his grandfather and it broke my heart to see him upset. I turned to my locker and looked at the schedule, tomorrow nothing was planned and we had a game the day after against Buffalo, in Buffalo, ‘…Perfect…’

“Coach-“

“Your ticket’s already bought, you leave tomorrow morning,” he said and I sighed and nodded my head, “Just make sure you’re at the rink on Wednesday.”

“I’ll be at the game, don’t worry,” I said and then sighed, “Will I be leaving for Russia from Buffalo? Or am I going back to Pittsburgh?”

“Pittsburgh,” Coach said and I nodded my head.

-Kane-
It was cold outside, but I didn’t care, I sat on the docks looking out at the lake with the bottle of vodka handing from my hand. After breaking down during the postgame interview yesterday, I had left California to fly back to Buffalo; my grandfather’s viewing was going to be tomorrow and then the funeral the day after.

I was in the middle of a memory of my grandfather when I heard footsteps on the dock, I sighed, figuring the steps to belong to one of my sisters or my mom. But I was surprised to feel arms around my neck and a head on my shoulder, I turned my head, shock overcoming me when I see Maggie there, she was hugging me from behind.

“I’m sorry,” she breathed and I looked back towards the lake, but brought my hand up and placed it on top of hers, “I’m here for you, Pattie.”

“Thanks,” I said and Maggie she hugged me tighter.

We were out there for a little while longer before I knew it was time to head back, I was freezing, almost numb and I knew that Maggie was cold. She laced her fingers with mine and held my arm as we walked up the little hill to my home. I walked through the backdoor to see my three friends, Matt, Mike and Tom there, sitting at the kitchen island, waiting for me.

“Dude, I’m sorry about your Pops,” Mike said and he and the others hugged me and I nodded my head.

“Anything you need, just like us know,” Tom said and I thanked them.

That night, I went to bed, Maggie just held me that night, my head on her chest and she ran her nails up and down my back, running her fingers through my hair, and I went to sleep just happy that she was here.

-Maggie-
I felt horrible, I wasn’t going to be able to make it to the viewing or the funeral, I had a game the night of the viewing and then I left for Russia for the funeral. I spend the whole day with Pat, never leaving his side and giving him hugs whenever he looked to really need it.

I hated to leave him when I needed to head to the arena to play my game against the Sabres. Some of the guys asked me how Pat was doing, but all I could tell him was that he was coping. We played well against the Sabres, winning the game with the final score of five to one; I managed to score one goal, but other than that, nothing. My mind wasn’t on the game tonight.

I showered and changed and the boys and I were heading to the bus to drive back to Pittsburgh, when I heard my name. I turned and saw Kris, he nudged his head to the side and I followed his gaze to see Pat leaning against his car. I threw my bag with the others and then walked over towards Pat, wrapping my arms around him and then feeling him hold me tight.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t be there tonight,” I said, Pat was in a suit and he looked like he had just come from the funeral home.

“It’s all right, I understand, you came to see me anyways,” he said and I ran my hands over his chest.

“I love you, Pat,” I breathed and he cupped my neck and kissed my forehead.

“I love you too,” he said and then wrapped his arms around my neck, “I’ll see you in Sochi.”

“I’ll save you a bed,” I said and he gave me a little smirk and nodded his head, “One week.”

“One week,” he said and then pressed his lips against mine. I heard my name and sighed, Coach was calling me, I groaned and laid my head on Pat’s shoulder, I kissed his neck and he rubbed my arms, “I’ll see you soon, babe.”

I pressed my lips against his again and then back up and headed towards the bus, I got on, took my seat next to James and sighed. The four hour bus ride went by fast after I fell asleep against James’ shoulder. But my crazy life didn’t stop there; we arrived in Pittsburgh around four in the morning. Because I was already in Buffalo when the boys left, I didn’t have my car at the Consol, Marc gave Olli and I a ride back to my house and from there, I grabbed my suitcase that was already packed and threw it in my Escalade. The guys had already told me goodbye and good luck in Sochi, and Geno, Sidney, Kunitz, Paul and Brooks said they would see me soon.

After I packed my car I turned to see Nick, Emma, Olli and Beau standing there, I smiled towards them and then hugged each of them. I hugged Nick and pulled back, my hands on his shoulders, “I’ll see you soon,” I smiled, “Mom and Dad will be up next week and then you’ll fly over-“

“I can’t wait to see you kick ass,” he said and I giggled and hugged him again, happy that he was taking a week off from school to come to Sochi to see me play.

“All right, I have to go- You,” I pointed towards Olli, “Prepare to get your ass kicked!”

“I highly doubt that,” he said and I giggled.

“We’ll see,” I said and then hugged Emma and kissed baby Troy’s head, who was sleeping in her arms, “I wish you were coming.”

“I know,” she said and then I sighed and opened the garage door, “See you soon.”

I hugged everyone one last time and then got into my car and headed towards the airport for my six in the morning flight. I was supposed to arrive in Sochi the next day around three in the afternoon and then I was going to rush to my hotel and then to the opening ceremony. I would fly from Pittsburgh to JFK and then to Moscow and then Sochi.

After almost twenty four hours worth of traveling, I finally made it to Sochi, to the hotel, to my room. I just laughed and shook my head when I saw the room and saw how small the two beds were. I took a picture of the two twin beds and sent it to the guys and Pat, telling them that this was what we were going to be sleeping on. I ended up pushing the two beds together because I knew that when Pat got here, we were going to do it anyways.

I managed to get in a two hour nap before I needed to head over towards the building where the opening ceremony was. Zdeno Chara and I met up and headed over, there was a bus that drove us over, but we were told that other than the opening and closing ceremony, we were going to ride a bike to and from Olympic park.

Zdeno went off towards where his country was, he was going to be holding their flag, and I went towards the USA area. I was instantly greeted by excited people, pulled into a room and told to wear the USA sweater and hat. I started walking around, looking at everyone who was here for the same thing, to win the gold.

“Hey, hey, you’re Maggie Marshall,” I heard and turned my head and smiled, nodding my head, “Cool, I’m Shaun White!”

“I know, my brother’s a huge fan of yours,” I said and he chuckled and we shook hands, “Nice to meet the flying tomato-“

“Hey, whoa, shhhh, hate that nickname,” he said and I giggled.

“Gotta say, like the haircut, but miss the long hair,” I said and he chuckled and shrugged his shoulders, “Here to win your third gold metal?”

“You know it,” he said and I laughed and nodded my head.

When we waited for Team USA to be called, Shaun and I decided to stick together, he was holding a mini camera and taking lots of pictures and videos. I had my phone out and was taking my own pictures and videos.

“Maggie, Maggie,” I turned and saw a reporter, I smiled and looked at her, she said her name and where she was from, but I couldn’t hear it, everything was so loud. She needed to practically scream in my ear for me to hear the question, “Not only are you the first woman in the NHL, but the first allowed on a men’s team- How does that make you feel and are you worried about how the other countries are going to treat you?”

“You know, when I played in the 2010 Olympics on the women’s team, it was amazing, but I’m looking forward to playing by the side of my boys. And I’m not scared about playing the other countries, if they’re picked to represent their country, then that means that they’re the best, I’m here to show them that I’m just as good as they are,” I said, smiling brightly and proudly.