‹ Prequel: Chances Risked
Sequel: Life's Chances

The Three C's

Chapter Twenty One

“You are honestly so sweet!” I smiled brightly as I hugged TJ, after hearing what he said to the reporter when he called him the ‘American Hero’.

“What? It’s nothing but the truth,” he said and I giggled, my arms wrapped around his neck and he chuckled. TJ had told the reporter that he was no hero that the people wearing camo were the real heroes, and I’m sure a lot of people appreciated that, especially those in the military.

Everyone right now was absolutely buzzing over the win against Russia, smiles were found on everyone’s faces. Someone yelled for music to be thrown on and I don’t know who threw their ipod in, but we all laughed when the song that popped up was ‘Crazy in Love’ by Beyonce. I was completely loving it, practically dancing at my stall as I sat and took my gear off, and when it was off, oh, I was having a blast.

After we all showered and changed, we headed back to the hotel and Pat and I collapsed onto our bed, exhausted and ready for bed. It was after eight at night, and we still hadn’t eaten dinner yet, there was a knock at the door and I groaned and looked to see that Pat was face down on the bed. I sighed and went to the door, opening it and was instantly greeted by arms.

“You played so well today!” I smiled at the sight of my parents and brother standing in front of me.

“Hey guys, I thought we were going to get together tomorrow?” I asked tiredly and Mom gave me sad eyes.

“We brought dinner to you- Is Patrick here? We have food for him,” she said and I giggled and moved out of the way for them to come in.

“Physically he’s here- Not sure about mentally,” I said and they saw him faced down on the bed, “Pat,” I called and tapped his foot a little, “Pat,” I giggled and shook his leg, he groaned a little, “Get up, babe.”

He sighed and pushed himself off of the bed and then jumped up when he saw my parents. Mom giggled and held up two bags while Nicky held up two, “I brought food.”

“My hero,” Pat said and Mom and I laughed and I watched as she walked over towards the little table and placed the bags down and started to open them, it smelled really good.

-Kane-
I got out of the bed and walked up behind Maggie, wrapping my arms around her waist and laying my chin on her shoulder. She leaned her back into my chest and I felt her hands on top of mine, which were slipped into the front pocket of her hoodie. I didn’t know what her mom had brought for dinner, but whatever it was, it smelled really good.

There was a knock on the door and I watched as Nick answered it and Maggie’s two Penguin teammates, Martin and Orpik walked into the room. They greeted Maggie’s parents, hugging her mother as if she was their own, and I wondered how her parents’ would act towards the guys when Maggie became a Hawk.

“Eat up boys, there’s plenty here- You all played well today,” she said and I smiled towards Maggie, we each grabbed a plate and threw the chunky potatoes, whatever the meat was and then there was some soup. Maggie and I decided to share one of the small bowls since there were only five. I don’t think Maggie like it though, after three bites, she didn’t want any more of the beefy flavored soup.

“So son, what did you do for Valentine’s day, with my daughter?” Maggie’s dad asked and I nearly choked on my soup, instantly feeling guilty that I had completely forgotten about the day.

“I uh- you see- I-“

“We’re waiting until we get back to the U.S.,” Maggie said quickly and I looked at her, “He’s coming to Pittsburgh with me before going back to Chicago.”

‘…Damn, I love this girl…’ I thought and Maggie gave me a smile and I nodded my head, ‘…How the fuck did you forget about Valentine’s Day, you idiot!...’

After all the food was gone and we watched a little of the highlights from today’s Olympic events, it was getting later and Maggie’s parents and brother decided to leave to head back to their hotel, Martin and Orpik leaving a little while ago. Once they were gone, Maggie closed and locked the door and I came at her and wrapped my arms around her waist and pinned her against the wall.

“I am so sorry, I for-“ she cut my off my cupping my face and pressing her lips against mine.

“Stop,” she breathed and rubbed my cheek with her thumb, “You’ve got a lot on your plate, a lot on your mind even before you came to Sochi,” Maggie said and I sighed.

“But you’re my girl and I love you- You don’t deserve for me to forget the special day that every girl loves-“

“Wrong,” she said and I looked at him, “Not every girl loves Valentine’s Day- Actually, I hate it,” Maggie said and I chuckled, “I only liked it because it was another reason for me to go to see you, or you to come see me.”

“As if we need a reason,” I said and she giggled as I pressed my lips against hers. I moved my hands down to her thighs, picked her up and carried her over to the bed. Laying her down and climbing on top of her, feeling her legs pinned at my sides as my hands roamed under her hoodie, pulling the material up and over her head, “I love you, Maggie.”

“I love you too, Pat,” she breathed and then pressed her lips against mine and then remove my shirt and moved her hands down my bare chest, “Sucks that we have a game tomorrow,” she said and I sighed and nodded my head.

“After the game, you and I are locking ourselves in this room,” I breathed into her ear and nibbled on her neck, hearing her giggle.

“Deal,” Maggie moaned and I smiled and kissed her lips quick, before we both crawled up the bed and she got comfortable in my arms before going to sleep.

-Maggie-
We had won another game, the Slovenians didn’t have a chance and the only person upset on the team was Ryan Miller. The final score was five to one and we all thought for sure that we were going to have a shutout, but seconds before the game ended, the opponent managed to slip the puck past Miller and he was pretty upset with himself now. Kessel had a hat trick and Pat and I only had one assist each in this game.

After the game, I know that Pat said that we were going back to the hotel and locking ourselves in the room because we had a few days off, but Coach wanted us to catch the Canada/ Finland game. We missed the first few minutes of the game, but when we got there no one had scored yet.

Less than fourteen minutes into the first period, Drew Doughty scored a goal on Tuukka Rask, who was representing his home country, Finland. Shea Weber and Sidney Crosby assisted his goal and the red and white was flying in every direction.

“You definitely see more red and white than blue and white,” Quick said and a lot of us nodded our heads.

“Maggie,” I heard and smiled towards my fellow Penguin.

“Sorry about your loss, G,” I said and he nodded his head, sad because he needed that win. I wrapped my arms around his waist and leaned against him.

“How they do?” he asked and looked at the ice and sighed, “Be tough to beat.”

“One of us will do it,” I said and Geno looked down at me and smiled.

“Well, well, well, if it isn’t Marshall,” I heard and leaned back passed Geno and saw Ovechkin walking over with Kovalchuk, a former NHL player that was a Devil but retired to come back to Russia.

“Oviechkin,” I said and he smirked and came up in-between Geno and I and threw his arm around my shoulder. I didn’t like him, well, on the ice I didn’t, he was a pain in the ass and Sidney hated him, but he was all right off, “You recover quickly.”

“Fuck you,” he said and I smirked while he rolled his eyes, “Who’s winning?”

“Who else,” Kovalchuk said and we all sighed.

At the end of the game, Canada ended up winning against Finland, leading with a point. I sighed and decided that it was time to leave, not wanting to stick around for anything else. Pat found me, laced his fingers with mine and we started to walk with the others through the halls of the building, heading towards the exit that we were assigned to leave out of.

For whatever reason I started to pat my pockets and then groaned, “What?” Pat asked as he looked at me confused.

“I think I left my ipod in the locker,” I said and he nodded his head.

“Let’s go get it-“

“You go, I’ll catch up,” I said and Pat just looked at me, “Go, I’ll be all right, I’m just going to the locker room.”

“All right, see you in the room- Where I am locking that door and we’re not coming out,” he said and I giggled and nodded my head.

“Get the room ready for me then,” I said and Pat smirked and started to walk off with the others, while I went in a different direction to go to the building that we had a game in today. I managed to get to the locker room, walked over towards the one that I occupied, climbed on the bench to look at the top shelf and I smiled with relief when I saw it still there, “Come ‘ere, ya little bugger.”

I turned around and headed out of the locker room, thinking that maybe I could catch up with the others when I felt a hand over my mouth and an arm around me, pinning my arms down. I muffled out a scream and tried to kick whoever grabbed me. I growled when I was thrown against the wall and then shoved to the ground. I managed to turn around and throw a punch at whoever attacked me but I was kicked in the stomach and punched in the cheek.

“Vy dumayete, chto vy tak zhestko, vy ne prinadiezhat,” the person breathed into my ear and then punched me again and I blacked out.