‹ Prequel: Chances Risked
Sequel: Life's Chances

The Three C's

Chapter Forty Four

-Maggie-
“Shit, we’re going into overtime,” I grumbled as I looked at the tied score of three and the clock ticking to zero.

We were in Game two of the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs, up against the Columbus Blue Jackets. The Penguins won Game one without going into overtime; however, this time, we weren’t getting out of it. I growled as the horn sounded and then hopped off of the ice, allowing the zambonies to clean the ice during the five minute break that we had to prepare for the extra twenty minute period.

The whole team from both teams were exhausted, the game was at seven tonight, it was now after ten and we were still playing. We pushed our bodies to try and score a goal and win the game. After the first overtime period ended with no one scoring, it being after eleven at night, we were tired and starting to get hungry as well. During the five minute break for the ice to get cleaned, pizza was brought down to us and we were stuffing our faces, trying to get some energy into our bodies.

‘…Oh my god! Fuckin’ someone score already!...’ I growled when the second overtime ended and it was after midnight, we were going into the third round of overtime. I sat on the bench, my arms draped over the boards and my head laid on my arms, I was trying to catch my breath because I was so tired.

I felt a hand on my back and I picked my head up and saw Geno looking at me worriedly, I gave him a small smile and laid my head back down. When the third overtime started, I pushed myself up, climbed over the boards and drug my body onto the ice. I couldn’t wait for this game to be over so that I could go home and go to bed.

During the middle of the third overtime period, Columbus scored, winning the game, we were disappointed, but happy the game was over because that meant we could finally go to sleep and prepare ourselves for the next game. We all practically crawled off of the ice and headed back towards the locker room, did our interviews and then tired and lazily got out of our gear, took a shower, changed into our clothes and left.

Beau, Olli, Gibbons, who was back in town, and I got into my vehicle, I drove home and everyone automatically crashed. Beau, Olli and I barely made it up the stairs, while Brian almost fell going down the stairs, sleeping on the couch in the basement. As soon as I walked into my room, tour my clothes off, threw my pajamas on and went to bed just before three in the morning.

-Kane-
“Hey,” I heard, looked up from my stall and saw that the guys had the highlights from today’s games.

“New York Rangers beat Pittsburgh Penguins three to two and advance in the NHL playoffs. Henrik Lundqvist stopped thirty five shots and the Rangers beat the Penguins in Game seven of the Eastern Conference semifinals…”

“Turn it off,” I breathed and didn’t hear the announcer anymore, once Maggie’s face appeared on the screen and she looked upset, I didn’t want to watch it anymore. I cursed because Pittsburgh and Chicago were supposed to play for the Stanley; at least that’s what we hoped.

“Some of them didn’t even look like they wanted to be there,” Jon said and I sighed, “Crosby- I mean like, what the fuck-“

“She’s gunna not want to talk to anyone- I’m not gunna hear a word from her for like a week,” I said and Jon sighed.

“It’ll be all right,” he said and I nodded my head. The same day the Penguins lost their series to the Rangers, we won our series against the Wilds, Chicago was moving on without Pittsburgh, “We’ve got a few days until the next game, we still need to wait for LA and Anaheim to finish their series,” Jon said and I nodded my head, “Go see her.”

I nodded my head, finished up in the locker room, headed home and then booked a flight to Pittsburgh for the next morning. When I got home it was almost midnight, some of the guys were going out to celebrate at the fact that we won our series, I didn’t, which surprised everyone. When Maggie came into the picture, I had cleaned my reputation up and I think everyone thanked her for it.

My flight was booked, I packed a bag, set my alarm, and slept for about five hours, waking up to the blaring alarm telling me to rise before the sun was up and headed off to the airport. Like usual, it was a two to three hour flight right from Chicago to Pittsburgh, I landed, rented a car and drove to Maggie’s house well before, eleven in the morning.

I figured everyone was asleep; they were emotionally drained from losing yesterday’s home game against the Rangers, their season was over well before it should have been and I knew my girl was hurting. I snuck into the house, up the stairs and to Maggie’s room, her door was slightly cracked, I opened it and saw that she was indeed still asleep, Jazz cuddling with her on the bed.

I sighed, placed my suitcase on the floor, kicked off my shoes, slipped out of my jeans and t-shirt, and then crawled into the bed. Jazz looked at me and when my face got close, he tried to lick me, but I pulled back. I looked down at Maggie, her tear stained cheeks made my heart break. I laid in front of her, wrapped my arm around her, she groaned and blinked her eyes opened.

“Pat?” she breathed and I cupped her neck and rubbed her check, “What are you doing here?”

“I saw your game,” I said sadly and she sighed and turned around, her back now to me, “Mags?”

“I don’t want to talk, Patrick,” she mumbled and I sighed.

“We don’t have to talk,” I said and then wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her to me, “Let me just be here for you.”

It was quiet for a few moments, but when I felt Maggie turn around again and bury her face into my chest, I held her close and didn’t want to let her go. I knew she probably had to head to the rink in a while to clean out her stall, but until then, I was just going to hold her.

-Maggie-
“I love this city and I love all of the players in this locker room. It’s unfortunate how everything ended; however, all you can do is fix your mistakes and move on to the next season,” I said, standing in front of my stall, the media crowded around me, lights, cameras and mics shoved in my face.

“Maggie, your contract ends with the Penguins this season, what will you do?” a reporter yelled out.

“Ray and I are discussing my future, we’ll see soon what it has in tales for me,” I lied, already knowing that the Chicago GM already had a contract set up for me and managed to keep it secret from the media until it was time to announce my trade.

“Rumor has it you might go to Chicago- That true?” someone yelled out and I looked in their direction.

“You never know, I might stay or go, whatever happens, happens and I’ll be happy where ever I’m at,” I said and then looked over towards Sidney to see that he had his fair share of reporters around him.

“One more thing Maggie!” I heard and turned my head, “What happens now that your seasons over?”

“Take a little time to relax and then prepare for the upcoming season,” I said quickly.

“Will you go to Chicago to watch their series? A source say Patrick Kane arrive in Pittsburgh this morning,” he said and I bit the inside of my lip.

‘…What do I say?...’ I thought and looked at the reporters, ‘…They’re going to find out anyways…’

“Maggie?”

“Patrick came into town to give his support to me,” I said and looked around, wanting this to be over.

“So are the rumors true that you and Kane are in a relationship? How does your teams feel about that?!”

“All right, that’s enough questions!” Mario said as he appeared and pulled me away and I sighed and was grateful to be getting out of the spotlight. I was pulled into the hallway and Mario looked at me, “You all right?”

“Hate them,” I mumbled and Mario chuckled and patted my shoulder.

“So this is really it?” Mario asked and I looked at him, “Your late day as a Penguin?”

“Mario,” I sighed ad ran my fingers through my hair, “I’ll always be a Penguin,” I said and smiled towards him, “Dallas might have drafted me, but you gave me my first shot in the NHL- I’ll never forget that.”

“You’re a great player Maggie, and I wish the best for you, on Chicago or anywhere else,” he said and I smiled and nodded my head. I was going to shake his hand, but he pulled me in for a hug and I giggled at how I found myself going to miss the owner of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Mario walked away and I looked down the hall towards the ice, I sighed and walked towards it, out onto the ice and looked around. Last night was the last time I was going to be a Penguin, that wasn’t my plan, I wanted to win the Cup, but we all know that every players’ plan on twenty nine teams don’t happen when it comes to the Stanley Cup.

“Figured you be out here,” I heard and turned to see Sidney stepping out onto the ice, followed by some of the other players, “What are you doing?”

“Just remembering,” I said and Sidney gave a small smile and nodded his head.

“So this is it?” Marc asked as he came up beside Sidney I looked at him.

“This is it,” I breathed and Geno, James, Kunitz, Beau, Olli, Jussi, Paul, Brooks, Matt, and Kris were out on the ice, “I’m gunna miss you guys.”

“When are they going to announce it?” James asked and I sighed, “I know your contracts already made up with Chicago.”

“Three year contract,” I said and the guys nodded their heads, “Then I’ll probably retire.”

“Become a WAG?” Beau teased and I smirked and rolled my eyes, “Can’t really picture you as a WAG.”

“I can picture her as a tough ass hockey mom,” Paul Martin teased and I laughed and playfully pushed him and then looked around at everyone.

“Oh, here we go!” Kunitz teased and everyone laughed, they say my eyes tearing up because I was definitely going to miss everyone.

“Shut up!” I yelled and they laughed and we had a group hug.

“You such a girl, Mags,” Geno said and I laughed and shook my head.

“Thank you for noticing, Geno,” I said and then hugged the big Russian. I pulled back and looked at Olli, who was three people down from Geno, “And you, I know you’ve seen me naked, but try-“

“Wait! What?!” they guys yelled and I giggled, seeing Olli’s face starting to turn red.

“But try not to let that hold you back from getting girls,” I winked towards him.

“I’ll try,” he said and I hugged him.

“You and Bennett better take care of my house, I’m leaving it to you!” I growled and they looked at each other and smirked.

“What’s with the whole seeing you naked- I’ve never seen you naked!” James yelled and I giggled and hugged him.

“Long story,” I said and shook my head. I looked at everyone again, “Just do me one favor,” I said and they nodded their heads, “When I play you- You better bring me a challenge!”

“Always,” Sidney said and I smiled brightly.

“Good, because I don’t want it to be easy kicking your asses!”

“HEY NOW!!!”