‹ Prequel: Chances Risked
Sequel: Life's Chances

The Three C's

Chapter Forty Eight

“What is this place Pat?” Maggie asked as she looked around the area of nothing, Troy propped on her hip looking with his confused Aunt.

“Hello!” I heard and turned to see our realtor, Eric.

“Hi!” I smiled and he walked up to me and shook my hand.

“Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Kane,” he said and I nodded my head.

“Likewise.”

“Ms. Marshall, pleasure to meet you!” Eric said and shook Maggie’s hand.

“I would say it’s a pleasure as well, but I’m afraid I’m confused,” she said and I chuckled.

“This is Eric, our realtor,” I said and she nodded her head, starting to get it, “And this, is the land we might get to build a home.”

“I’m sorry, build a home?” she asked and I smiled towards her and nodded my head, “Um.”

“We can start planning and the building can begin this summer, be finished by October,” I explained to her and she looked at me, “All I need is your word.”

“I- um, I,” she sighed and I looked at Eric.

“I’ll give you a moment,” he said and I nodded my head and walked over towards her.

“You and I can’t agree on a house Mags, so I figured that if we can’t find one we both like, let’s build one,” I said and she looked at me, “I didn’t sign anything or agree to anything without you- I want us both to be in on this,” I said and she looked at me, “Do you need time?”

“How much space do we have?” Maggie asked me, looking back towards Eric.

“Two acres,” Eric answered and Maggie sighed and looked at me.

“That’s a lot of land- A lot of grass for you to mow,” she said and I chuckled, there was a smirk on her face, so that was a plus, “October, you said?”

“Yup, they can start building next month, we can build our home from scratch,” I said and Maggie looked at me, “You and I.”

“All right,” Maggie breathed and I looked at her.

“Yeah?”

“Yeah,” she smiled and nodded her head and I smiled brightly and looked towards Eric.

“All right, we have a deal!” I said happily and the realtor walked over, smiling and shook mine and Pat’s hand.

“Wonderful, I can make up the papers and have you come in to sign them tomorrow?” he said and I nodded my head, “Great and then you and Ms. Marshall and your little baby will have a wonderful home.”

“Oh, uh,” my eyes widened when he mentioned Troy as my child, “He’s not.”

“My nephew,” Maggie said and Eric looked awkwardly at us.

“I’m sorry-“

“It’s all right,” I chuckled and looked at Maggie who was blushing. We finished up with Eric and he left, Maggie and I stayed and looked around, she was walking around the property and I smiled, we were really going to do this, we were going to build a home together, “So what are you thinking?”

“I’m just- I mean it’s just- Wow,” she said and I chuckled and walked over towards her, my hands on her hips, “We’re really building a place?”

“We can go back and start planning it right now,” I said and she smiled and nodded her head, but I heard my stomach growled and she giggled, “Food first?”

“Sure,” I said and he smiled and nodded his head.

-Maggie-
“One floor or two?” Emma asked as she and I sat at the kitchen counter with books paper, internet and imagination.

“Two,” I answered and she nodded her head, “I want an open layout, a room for the dogs, a memorabilia room for my-“

“Dad’s things, already have it there,” Emma said and I smiled, looking at the list that she was creating, “How many bedrooms?”

“Five,” I said and she nodded her head, “Um, actually, can we have one downstairs?”

“Sure, where would you want it?”

“Not sure, I just know I want it on the first floor,” I said and Emma nodded her head.

“Hello,” Emma giggled and I looked to see that Stanley had placed his head on her lap, I smiled and watched as Stanley enjoyed his head being scratched.

“There they are!” I heard and turned around to see Pat walking through the door with Jon behind him.

“Hi boys, how was practice?” I asked and Pat nodded his head.

“It went well, I have hope for tomorrow,” he said and I smiled towards him and watched as he walked over, wrapped his arms around my waist and kissed my cheek.

“Good! Hi Jon.”

“Hey Mags,” he smirked and walked over and I hugged him, “What are you ladies up to?”

“Planning,” I said and he chuckled.

“What did you come up with so far?” Pat asked and Emma handed him the list, “Just about everything I see,” he laughed and I smirked towards him.

“Yup,” I said and he chuckled and placed the paper down, “Well, we just have to plan on where everything is going to be.”

“Sure,” Pat said and then kissed my cheek and placed the paper on the table, “I’m starving.”

“Same,” Jon said and then the two boys headed over towards the fridge.

I heard Troy crying through the baby monitor, he was sleeping in his crib in the guest bedroom. Emma sighed and then got up, but I pushed her down and then got up and headed into the bedroom, walking over towards the crib and seeing Troy standing up.

“Hey baby boy, what’s wrong?!” I asked and picked him up, bouncing him a little to try to calm him down, “Let’s go socialize,” I giggled and then walked back into the kitchen to see Jon and Pat making a sandwich.

“Look who it is!” Pat chuckled, walking over towards Troy and smiling brightly, it made me so happy to see how Pat acted around children, “Wanna come to Uncle Pat?”

I laughed when Troy dug his face into my shoulder and whined a little, “No?” I giggled and saw the pouting look on his face.

“What? No love,” Pat whined and Jon walked over and pushed Pat to the side.

“What about Uncle Jon?” I asked and turned to show Troy Jon, “You like Uncle Jon?”

Jon started to make funny faces towards Troy; he was laughing and started to clap his hands. Jon held out his hands and Troy leaned in and I laughed when Jon picked him up. Pat scoffed and shook his head, walking back into the kitchen and grabbing his sandwich.

“I see how it is,” Pat chuckled and I smirked and looked towards Jon to see him standing next to Emma, he had Troy standing on the counter and was holding his hands, “He’s getting big.”

“He’ll be three in December.”

“Three already?” Jon asked and Emma nodded her head.

‘…It’s really been three years…’ I thought and then sighed, looking at Pat to see him giving me a sad look. I bit my lip and then sighed, bringing my hand up to the cross that hung from my neck, the cross that used to belong to Mike.

-Kane-
“Showtime baby!” I yelled happily as I scored the winning goal that going to bring us to Game seven against the Kings. The series was now tied at three and we were happy to have come back from previously being down two games.

Game seven was going to be in two days in LA, Maggie was going to be there with some other wives and girlfriends, if we won against the Kings, we went to the finals, playing either Montreal or New York. We all walked off of the ice, feeling really good about ourselves, I heard my name and turned my head and smiled brightly, seeing Maggie walking with Abby Sharp.

“Babe!” I yelled and then laughed when she ran over towards me and then jumped up into my arms.

“You won!” she squealed and I pressed my lips against hers and picked her up off of the ground, “And you stink!”

“Thanks, Mags,” I laughed and Maggie giggled and kissed my cheek, “We’re going out after we’re finished here- You coming?”

“Where are we going?”

“Bar,” I said and Maggie nodded her head.

“I’ll go,” she said and I kissed her head, “But you seriously need a shower- And a haircut-“

“Hey, don’t dis the mullet- We’ve been through this,” I said and she giggled and patted my chest, “What’s with you and my sisters about my mullet?”

“Did I say anything about your mullet?!”

“What else would I have to cut?” I asked and she giggled and ran her fingers through my hair and I rolled my eyes.

“All right fine, I don’t like the mullet,” she said and I snorted, “But I sort of like you.”

“Thanks Maggie,” I said and she giggled and winked towards me, “I’m feeling the love.”

“Good.”