‹ Prequel: Chances Risked
Sequel: Life's Chances

The Three C's

Chapter Fifty

“So that’s the layout of the house you would like?” the contractor asked and Pat and I nodded our heads, “All right, do you know what the interior and exterior will look like?”

“Not quite yet, but we have the idea of the home,” Pat said and I looked at the three men sitting in front of us. I wasn’t really paying attention; I was too excited at the fact that after this we were heading to the airport to pick up my little brother, Nick, he was coming to visit.

Pat talked to the men, setting the date for next week when the house would start to be built and would take a few months. We were both excited for this and then I was handed a boat load of books to look through, deciding on what we would like the design of the home to be.

It’s been three days since the final game and Pat has been all right, I’ve been trying to keep him busy to avoid anything and everything hockey. We’ve had the place to ourselves for the past few days; Emma’s been with Jon a lot and we’ve been on the hunt to figure out what was going on between the two.

We were back home now, packing some bags because we were going to head to Buffalo for a week or two. Pat was excited to see his friends and family and I was excited just to go, he had called his friends and told them that were going out on the boat, I left a message with Jon and Emma to come, but they probably wouldn’t.

Pat drove his Hummer with the three dogs in the back to Buffalo, it was about a nine hour drive, having to stop for the dogs and then for food. We pulled up to Pat’s house just after six and just opened the doors and practically kissed the ground for being here.

After bringing the dogs and the bags inside the house, we decided to order food and Pat ran out to get the food and some beer. There was a knock on the door and I walked over and opened it, smiling brightly at the sight of Pat’s three best friends, Tom, Matt and Mike.

“Howdy boys,” I giggled and then moved out of the way for them to come into the house, each of them hugging me hello.

“Where’s our boy?”

“Food and booze run,” I said and they chuckled and nodded their heads, “Make yourself at home.”

We waited about a half hour before Pat walked into the doors and was happy to see his three friends, “I had a feeling you would be coming over- Good thing I got extra food and beer.”

“You know us so well, Pattycakes,” Tom said and I giggled from where I sat on the arm rest on the couch.

Pat rolled his eyes and then walked into the kitchen, we all followed him, he placed the pizza and two bags of beer on the counter and then I watched as the four boys dug in like wild animals. Jazz, Bella and Stanley stood around begging for food, but I waved them off and then went for my food when the boys walked into the living room, turning on the TV, ignoring it and then talking about the local gossip.

I decided that I was going to walk outside, the dogs coming with me, enjoying Pat’s backyard, I pulled out my phone, called my mom and sat back, listening to it ring, “Hello.”

“Hi mom.”

“Maggie! How are you sweetie?! I haven’t heard from you in a while!”

“Sorry, I’ve been a little preoccupied.”

“I understand, how’s he doing after his loss?”

“Better, we’re in Buffalo now, just wanting to relax before we head to Vegas for the award thingy and then start the summer training-“

“Ah yes, summer training, I always remember your father was always coming home and then just passing out-“

“Well Mom, we have to train for like six hours for six days, you expect us to be anything other than zombies after that,” I laughed and heard my mother giggle.

“It’s good to hear from you baby, I miss you.”

“I miss you too, mom, I’ll come visit after Vegas, I miss everyone!”

“We miss you too, baby, don’t you worry about that- And your father and I will actually be up at the end of June to see the draft.”

“Oh! You’re coming to see Dana get drafted!” I said excitedly.

“Yes, we wouldn’t miss that for the world!” mom said and I smiled brightly.

“I’ll be there- I don’t know about Pat, but I’ll definitely be there, I wouldn’t miss that too!” I said and heard my mom giggle, “You hear from Nicky?”

“He’ll be home for about two weeks actually tomorrow, and I think after that he and some friends are going somewhere for vacation- I don’t remember where he was telling me,” she said and I smiled, “But he sounds like he’s doing well- Made the Dean’s list for his freshman year.”

“Good, I’m happy he’s doing well,” I smiled brightly.

“Oh, here’s your father- It’s Maggie, honey,” mom said and I giggled and waited.

“Maggie!”

“Hi daddy, how are you?”

“I’m doing well, happy to hear from you, how’s Chicago?”

“It’s good, we’re actually in Buffalo right now-“

“Ah, gotchya, so when is the contract going to be announced?” dad asked and I giggled.

“Probably at the end of June, beginning of July,” I said and then sighed, “Not too sure, but all I know is that I have a red and black jersey starting in the fall.”

“You sure you want to do this? You’re only moving because of Kane,” he said and I sighed.

“Not only because of Pat, daddy,” I said and looked down, “It was time, I needed to go, everywhere I looked in Pittsburgh, it just reminded me of Mikey- I mean every time I’m on the ice I see him- But-“

“I get it sweetie, just looks like we have another team to cheer for,” dad grumbled and I giggled.

“Don’t forget to cheer for whatever team Dana gets drafted onto!”

“Chicago, Pittsburgh or Boston looking at her?”

“Maybe, guess we’ll find out!” I said and dad chuckled.

“There you are,” I heard and turned my head to see Pat walking outside with a beer bottle in his hand, “You’re on the phone?”

“Just with my dad,” I said and Pat nodded his head and sat next to me.

“Well baby, I’m gunna go- It was nice talking to you- Oh, did your mother tell you that we’ll be up for the draft?”

“Yes she did- I can’t wait to see you! And then probably after the awards I’ll be coming to Dallas to visit everyone,” I said and looked at Pat and he smiled and nodded his head.

“Sounds good, can’t wait- Oh! One more thing- Before I forget again,” he chuckled and I smirked, “Ran into an old buddy of yours.”

“Of mine? Who?”

“You remember- I think he went to school with you- He’s name was Eric something- Think his last name started with an ‘H’- Babe, what was that kid’s name?” dad yelled for mom and I tried to think of the name.

“Eric H?” I asked more to myself and tried to remember high school, “Eric H?” I breathed again and then shot up, “Shit! Eric Huntson?”

“Huntson! Yes, that’s it!” dad said happily, “You remember him!”

“Damn dad, he was mine and Mikey’s old Captain for the high school hockey team,” I said and rolled my eyes, “He was a dick that hated us-“

“Well, I guess he’s the assistant Coach for that hockey team-“

“Guess he didn’t get too far with hockey,” I muttered and dad chuckled.

“Never had what it took I guess,” he said and I shrugged my shoulders.

“Whatever, he’s not my problem,” I said and then my dad and I said goodbye and I looked at Pat and then leaned back against him.

He wrapped his arm around my neck and kissed my shoulder, “Who’s Eric Huntson?”

“Old high school Captain that was a jealous dick of Mikey and I,” I said and Pat chuckled and leaned his head against mine.

“So we’re going to Texas after Vegas?”

“Yup, kind of volunteered you,” I laughed and Pat chuckled and nodded his head, “You want to go?”

“Yeah, maybe we’ll run into Eric Huntson,” he said and I scoffed and rolled my eyes.

“Don’t do anything stupid, Pat.”