‹ Prequel: Chances Risked
Sequel: Life's Chances

The Three C's

Chapter Fifty Two

-Maggie-
“It’ll be all right, Maggie- We’ll fix this!” Mrs. Kane said as Jon hugged me tight, “We’re working on getting Pat out- Tom too!”

“How did this happen?” Erica, Pat’s sister asked as she hurried over, eyes wide with fear for her brother.

“Tom was being arrested because apparently there was a warrant in Luzerne County,” Matt said and Erica looked at him, asked him where that was and he shrugged his shoulders, “Somewhere in Pennsylvania.”

“And why was Pat arrested?”

“It was a bullshit arrest,” I growled and Erica looked at me angry face.

Pat and Tom were in jail and had been in jail for over twenty four hours, we knew nothing, had nothing to help get them both out. I had gotten no sleep, worried about Pat, worried about Tom, I felt so helpless.

“Mags, why don’t you get some sleep?” Jon said and I rubbed my tired face and shook my head.

“No, I want to be up if he calls,” I said and Mrs. Kane shook her head.

“He probably won’t be able to- At least not yet,” she said and I looked at her, “That’s what happened last time though.”

“And it was the same cop?” Mr. Kane asked and Matt and Mike nodded their heads, “That asshole had it out for Pat, said last time that he’d be watching him.”

“What are we going to do?” I asked and Mr. Kane sighed.

“Call the lawyer,” he said and Mrs. Kane nodded her head, “I know if have the number at home in my office- We’ll take care of this, Maggie.”

I just sighed, turned around and headed up the stairs, making my way to Pat’s room and looked at the bed. I was alone for about a minute before I felt a hand on my shoulder, turning my head to see Jon looking at me. One look at him and I burst into tears, he pulled me into him and hugged me tight, rubbing my back and leaning his head on top of mine.

“It’s gunna get fixed, Mags,” he said and I nodded my head, “Get some sleep.”

-Kane-
“Don’t think this is over, Kane,” I heard and turned my head to see the Officer that arrested me in 2009 and then two days ago, “Just because you’re a hotshot in Chicago doesn’t change the fact that you’re still a little punk here.”

I don’t know what had happened, I was in jail for a little over forty eight hours, right now I was being released and the cop was glaring at me. My parents had pulled through and got me out of here on this uncalled for arrest. The charges were dropped and I was released, I called for my ride to come and get me and then while I waited, I asked what was going to happen to Tom, I found nothing out.

I walked outside and waited on the sidewalk, it took about twenty minutes when I saw my familiar Hummer pull up. Before the car ever stopped Maggie jumped out of the vehicle and ran towards me, I stood up and almost fell back when Maggie wrapped her arms around me and held me tight.

I wrapped my arms around her waist and she shoved her face into my neck and I could hear and feel her crying. I picked her up off of the ground and we both leaned back and she pressed her lips against mine. I set her back on the ground, cupped her face and then roughly pressed my lips against hers.

Maggie clung to my side as Jon walked over and hugged me, patted my shoulder and told me he was happy to see me. Jon drove me to my home, Maggie and I sat in the backseat and she just leaned against me. During the drive, Maggie had her head on my shoulder and then when we got home, Jon parked the car and looked into the backseat, giving us a small smirk.

“What?” I asked and he nudged his head towards Maggie.

“She’s finally fallen asleep,” he said and I slowly moved my head, I couldn’t get a good look at her, but I could hear her slow breathing, “Kind of hate to wake her up.”

“I feel bad,” I said and then shook her a little, she groaned and shook head, “Mags, we’re home.”

“I don’t wanna,” she grumbled and I chuckled.

“Come on, we’re gunna go inside, we gunna go to sleep,” I said and she sighed and then nodded her head, picking herself up and then climbing out of the car.

The three of us walked into the house to see my parents and sisters were there, ready to give me a huge hug. I hugged my crying mother and sister and then my quiet father, looking back to see Maggie standing next to Jon, giving me a tired smile.

“Well, you look like you need some sleep, son,” dad said and I nodded my head and then looked towards Maggie again.

“I’m gunna shower and get some sleep-“

“All right,” she said and then walked over towards me and stood at my side, leaning against me and leaning her head on my shoulder, “I’m tired.”

“I know,” I breathed and kissed her head.

“You go, we’ll take care of everything down here,” mom said and I nodded my head.

“Were you able to get answers about Tom?” Mike asked and I shook my head sadly.

Maggie and I walked up the stairs, headed towards my room and I pulled my shirt off, kicked my shoes off. I felt Maggie’s hands on my shoulders and I looked back towards her to feel her lips against mine, I cupped her neck and then felt her hands on my bare chest. I pushed her back a little, moving towards the bed, Maggie pulled back a little and looked at me.

“Bath?” she asked and I nodded my head.

We walked into the bathroom; Maggie started the water we undressed each other as we waited for the tub to fill up. When the tub was finally full, Maggie got in first and then I got in and leaned back against Maggie, my head on her chest, her hands running through my hair, over my chest and then over my shoulders. We soaked in the tub for a long while, getting out when the once warm water turned cold.

-Maggie-
I woke up feeling happy to be in Pat’s arms again, it was a long two nights without him and I was so happy to be with him again. I sucked in some air and looked up to see Pat still asleep and looking very peaceful, I gave him a quick peck on the cheek and then attempted to sneak out of his arms. Fail.

“Where are you going?” Pat grumbled tiredly and only tightened his grip around my waist.

“I was going to start breakfast,” I said and Pat opened his eyes and I gave him a smile.

“That’s all right, you can stay here,” he said and I giggled and leaned back down and laid my head on his chest, “Mhmm, we’re not moving.”

“All right,” I smirked, “But I’ll have to pee eventually.”

“Hold it-“

Paaaaat,” I whined and Pat let out a laugh, and at that moment, we heard a knock on the bedroom door.

“Maybe if we’re really quiet, they’ll go away-“

“Won’t work!” I heard from outside the door, “I hear you!”

I giggled and then watched as Jon walked into the room looking like he had just woken up, supporting boxers, old t-shirt and bed head.

“What’s up, Tazer?” Pat asked as Jon sat at the end of the bed, crossed his legs, leaned his elbow on his leg and held his head up.

“I’m tired and your mom woke me up to let you know that breakfast will almost be ready,” he said and Pat chuckled.

“Why you?” I asked and Jon looked at me.

“Seriously?” he asked and I shrugged my shoulders, “Who knows what you two were doing in here-“

“Hey! We were quiet!” Pat said and I giggled and watched as Jon rolled his eyes.

“What’s on the agenda today?” Jon asked and I looked at the time to see that it was almost ten in the morning.

“Finding out what’s going to happen with Tom and how can I get him out of jail,” Pat said and I looked at him sadly.

“What was it like?” Jon asked and Pat sighed.

“We were by outside- But it was complete hell- I could hear him freaking out in the next cell,” Pat said and I sighed, climbed out of bed and walked over towards the closet, “Mags?”

“We gotta get him out of there.”

“What can I do to help?” Jon asked and I looked at him, he was looking at Pat, “Would your friend do what he’s being charged for?”

“What is he being charged for?” I asked.

“Robbery, vandalism, the list goes on- But they’re all in this Luzerne County,” Pat said and I nodded my head, “None of us even know where that is-“

“It’s about two hours away from Philly,” Jon answered and I looked at him to see him looking down at his phone, “Wilkes-Barre is one of the cities- Isn’t that the AHL team for the Pens?”

“Yeah- Was Tom ever there?”

“Not that I know of,” Pat said and I nodded my head, “But I’ve known him forever, he would never do stuff like this- He’s the quiet one of the group!”

“It’s usually the quiet ones, Kaner-“

“He wouldn’t do this,” Pat told Jon, giving him a hard look.

“Let’s just focus on getting him out,” I said and the boys nodded their heads and then sighed, “How are we going to do that?”