‹ Prequel: Chances Risked
Sequel: Life's Chances

The Three C's

Chapter Fifty Three

“Thank you guys- Really!” Tom said as he stepped back from hugging his parents and hugged Pat and everyone else.

It’s been a little over a week, Pennsylvania had come to pick Tom up and bring him to the Luzerne County prison, he didn’t last long there, as soon as the officers realized what Tom looked like, comparing him to the person in the security footage, they realized that Tom’s identify had been stolen. All of his charges were dropped and then we were called to come and get him in Pennsylvania, a five hour drive that Pat and I shared with Tom’s parents.

We stayed overnight in a hotel and then drove back the next day, Pat and I were in Buffalo for about three days before we needed to head off to Las Vegas for the awards. The LA Kings won the 2014 Stanley Cup, beating the New York Rangers in Game 5, two weeks into the month of June.

This weekend was the NHL awards, and then next weekend was the draft, Dana and five other girls were going to be attending that draft and the NHL network wasn’t letting anyone forget it. I got a call from the Chicago GM that my trade announcement was going to be made this weekend; I was excited to see everyone’s reaction. Some of my family from Vancouver were going to be attending the draft, wanting to see where Dana was going to go, my parents and I were also going to be there.

Pat and I flew to Vegas, Emma flying with us surprisingly because she was going to be Jon’s date, which surprised all of us. We got to the hotel, Pat and I went to our room, Emma went to hers, it was just across the hall from ours. I had my dress for this year’s awards; I hung it on the back of the door and told Pat that he wasn’t allowed to look until tomorrow night at the awards. This year we were going as each other’s dates, not carrying that the world will find out the truth, even though pictures have been shown of us together.

-Kane-
I smiled brightly as Maggie and I stepped out of the limo to head towards the awards. I looked back at Maggie and smiled brightly, seeing her in this tight fitting nude sequenced dress. She had her hair down and pinned to the side, lightly curled, bright smile on her face.

We looked ahead; there was a large line of media snapping pictures of everyone that walked down the carpet. I looked at Maggie, lacing my fingers with hers and she looked at me, we both took a deep breath and I gave her a smile, “Ready?”

“Yes,” she said and I squeezed her hand and we stepped onto the carpet.

Both of our names were yelled in every direction, flashes blinded us and Maggie tensed next to me, I knew she was nervous. We had to stand against the wall and pose for pictures, I had my arm wrapped around her waist and had her close.

The one reporter asked if Maggie and I were together and we finally came out in public and said that we were, after two years, we finally announced that we were together. When we finally finished we headed into the building, the seating was different this year, we got to sit where we wanted, not assigned to team sections. Maggie and I sat next to Emma and Jon, who had arrived before us and then we saw Duncan and Kelly coming over.

Throughout the awards, Maggie won the Lady Byng award for the third year in the row and I smiled brightly as she made her speech about how proud she felt to be in the NHL and how honored she was to be there. After the awards, everyone met up at the clubs, and partied, I watched as Maggie socialized with just about everyone.

“Soon she’ll be you’re social butterfly,” I heard and turned my head to see Kris Letang standing next to me, “You ready to take that responsibility?”

“It’s not much of a responsibility when you love the person,” I said and looked at him, taking a swig of my beer, “I’m ready- I’ve been ready for her to come to Chicago- Question is,” I looked him in the eye, “You ready to let her go?”

“I’ll never be ready for that- You should know that by know,” Kris said, leaning over the banister and looking down towards the dance floor where you saw Maggie goofing off with players from the NHL, “I know she’ll be a Hawk when the season starts-“

“We’re making the announcement next week,” I said and he looked at me and nodded his head, “She’s welcomed in Chicago- Everyone’s excited for her to come.”

“You know,” Kris looked back at me, “We figured she was going to leave the second she found out what I did.”

“The only reason she stayed was because of Mike-“

“At first,” Kris said and I looked at him, “Some of it was that she was scared of leaving the first team that gave her a shot.”

“Makes sense,” I said and leaned against the bar next to him.

“Look, all I’m trying to say-“

“I know what happened that day in the locker room,” I blurted out and Kris looked at me, “When Crosby and I were out in the hall- The day-“

“I know what you’re talking about.”

“Crosby thinks that I didn’t see,” I looked at him, “But I saw you kissing her,” he just stared at me, “I wanted to hurt you so much when you walked out of the locker room, but when you walked out and told me to-“

“To make sure you watched over her,” he repeated his words for last year.

“Yeah,” I nodded my head, “I don’t know, something felt like you finally given up- Accepted the fact that she wasn’t coming back.”

“Whether or not you saw, it obviously didn’t change anything between the two of you,” Kris said and I nodded my head, “Just make she’s happy.”

“I’ll do everything I can to always make her happy,” I said and Kris stood up straight, looked at me, patted my shoulder and then walked away.

“What was that about?” I heard and turned my head to see Jon.

“Just wanted to talk,” I said and then leaned against the banister again. Jon chuckled and I looked at him, he was looked at Maggie standing in-between two of the Staal brothers, talking up a storm with Kessel, Neal, Stamkos and a few others.

“She’s got a friend everywhere,” Jon said and I chuckled and nodded my head, “Do yourself a favor, Kaner,” I looked at him, “Don’t fuck up with her,” I snorted, “I’m serious, because just from looking at that,” he pointed down towards Maggie, “There are plenty more guys willing to take your spot.”

“Guess I’m just lucky that she loves me-“

“Yeah, you and all of your weirdness,” Jon said and I smirked, rolled my eyes and gave him a playful shove.

-Maggie-
“Oh my god, Maggie- I’m so scared,” Dana said as she stood in front of me looking like she was going to be sick.

It was time, a week had passed since the awards and it was now time for the draft. We were all in Philadelphia ready to hear where Dana was going to be drafted to. A lot of gossip on the NHL network said that Carolina was really trying to get her for her speed, even Tampa and well the list continued.

“You’re going to be fine, D- They’ve already come around and tested on you- You’ve shown them everything you can do,” I said, my hands on her shoulders and I was smiling down at her, “Where every you’re picked up- Whatever team it is- I’ll always cheer for you-“

“That is of course if I’m playing against you- Right?”

“Right,” I giggled and then we laughed. I hugged my cousin and then looked around at all of the boys and even small amount of girls trying out for the big league, the rookies to be.

“Where’s Pat?” Dana asked, looking around.

“He couldn’t make it, he had some charity even for that kids baseball team he sponsors,” I said and Dana looked at me confused, “The Kane Cougars- I don’t know, something like that- Back in Chicago.”

“Oh,” Dana said and I sighed.

“You know he wishes he could be here,” I said and she nodded her head.

“Ladies,” I heard and turned my head to smile, Mario Lemieux was standing in front of us.

“Mario,” I smiled brightly and then hugged him, “How’s your summer going so far?”

“Busy,” he said and I giggled, “Yours?”

“Busy,” I said and we both chuckled. I knew that he wasn’t going to go into detail and start telling me gossip on who they were looking at to be drafted, or even, who was going to take Dan’s place after he got canned.

“So this is the famous Dana, forgive me, I’ve heard so much about you from Maggie and even the boys- Though we’ve never met,” Mario said and I looked at Dana, she was awe struck.

“Big honor, Mr. Lemieux,” Dana said and Mario chuckled.

“It’s an honor to meet you, I’m just ashamed that’s it’s taken us so long to meet,” he said and Dana and I smiled, “Good luck out there.”

“Thank you!” Dana said and Mario looked at us and then walked away, “Oh my god!” she squealed and I laughed and hugged her.

They made an announcement that the draft was going to start; I hugged my cousin one last time and then headed back towards my seat, sitting in the family section with my own family. Speeches were given, stories were shared and the order of the draft was announced, Florida had the first pick and everyone was eager to see who was going to receive the first jersey.

“Just look at this list,” Uncle Jim said, Dana’s father and I looked at him, “Florida, Buffalo, Edmonton, Calgary, Islanders, Vancouver, Carolina, Toronto…” he continued to read off the first round pick.

“We don’t even know if Dana will be picked in the first round,” Mom said and I looked at her, “Mike and Maggie weren’t picked until the third-“

“She’ll be fine,” Dad said and I smiled towards him, “The NHL didn’t know what they were getting themselves into when they picked our twins’ up- the first female up- Now they do.”

“Dad’s right, Mom, the network has been keeping an eye on Dana- On all of the girls, so they’ll be treated like everyone else,” I said and Mom nodded her head.

“I just hope it all goes well.”