‹ Prequel: Chances Risked
Sequel: Life's Chances

The Three C's

Chapter Fifty Eight

“Push it! Push it! Faster Duchene! Marshall’s makin’ you look bad!” Andy yelled and I laughed with Sidney as I skated back to the blue line, finishing the drill that our trainer had us doing. Sidney came up behind me; I was a nose length in front of him, Carter and Benn coming up behind us and then Duchene.

It was mid August, over a month had past, I was three weeks into my training in Colorado, Pat was in Winnipeg training, Dana had started her Carolina rookie camp, and Nick was back in Pittsburgh for his football training for his Junior year at the University.

After hours of working out, Andy cut us some slack and told us that we could head out an hour early, it was Saturday, we didn’t have training tomorrow and the boys wanted to go out, well, Carter, Duchene and Benn wanted to go out. Sidney and I were happy staying at our rental home and watching TV, the other three weren’t.

Next thing I know, I’m in my room, showered and getting dressed in light bleached ripped jean shorts and a plain white tank top. My hair was up in a pony tail and I was tying my converses when there was a knock on my door, it opened and Carter was standing in my doorway.

“You ready?” he asked and I nodded my head, “That what you’re wearing?”

I looked at him and then looked down at my outfit, “I’ve got no one to impress-“

“That came out wrong,” he said and I giggled, “You look good- Even in something simple like that-“

“Jeff Carter are you hitting on me?! What would your girlfriend think?!” I teased and I watched as he squirmed in my doorway.

“You’re a real bitch, you know that Maggie,” he said and I laughed and walked over towards him,
patted his cheek and walked past him.

“Love you too, Jeffy,” I laughed and headed down the stairs, seeing everyone waiting for me and was surprised to see that they convinced Sidney to come out.

“What was that?” Benn asked and I looked at him confused, “Upstairs, you were yelling?”

“Oh, just bustin’ Carter’s balls,” I said and the guys chuckled.

We left the house, picked up Duchene at his home, where he proceeded to show us the best bars and clubs in Denver, there weren’t really a lot. It was early, we wanted something to eat and drink before we headed to the clubs, so we went to the one sports bar, watched a Yankee and Rays game, signed some autographs, took pictures with fans, ate food that Andy would kill us if he found out we ate, and of course, drank alcohol.

“Best wings in Denver,” Duchene said as he finished his dozen and I laughed and nodded my head.

“They’re good,” I said and then leaned back in my chair, finishing my dozen.

“Well it’s eight o’clock, what time did you say the club opened?” Carter asked, looking at Duchene.

“It opens at ten,” Duchene answered and we nodded our heads, learning we had time to kill.

“I think I saw a pool table in the other room,” Benn said and I snapped my head on.

“I’ll play you,” I smirked, “I haven’t played pool in a long time!”

“All right.”

“Bet ya fifty bucks that Mags is gunna win,” Carter said to Duchene and I laughed.

“Naw,” Sidney said and I looked at him, “I’ve seen her play, I wouldn’t bet fifty.”

“Sid!” I whined.

“Less?” Carter asked.

“Nope, I’m gunna bet,” Sidney pulled out his wallet and put down two hundred dollars on the table, “Two hundred.”

“Wow, so much pressure to win now,” I laughed and Sidney smirked towards me.

“Flower was the best player at pool on our team until Mags came along,” Sidney said and I smiled proudly.

“All right, I’ll take you bet,” Carter said and looked towards Benn, patted his shoulder, “You got this, buddy.”

“I love how they’re making bets and we’re not gunna get any of the money,” Benn said and I laughed and nodded my head.

“I’m gunna order another pitcher of beer- Mags, what girlie drink did you have?” he said and I
laughed.

“Just get me a Redds,” I said and he nodded his head and headed for the bar while Carter, Sidney, Benn and I headed for the pool table in the other room.

“I’m breaking!” Benn yelled and I nodded my head and grabbed my pool stick, watching as Benn set up the balls and broke them. He didn’t get anything.

-Sidney-
I watched as Maggie walked over towards the table, looking to see where she could shoot the white ball. She bent over and I heard snickering, I turned my head to see three guys sitting at the table against the wall looking at Maggie with shit grins on their faces. I glared at them, as soon as they saw me, the snapped their head around and faced the wall.

“You’re stripes, Benn,” Maggie said and I looked towards the table to see that there were three solids gone.

I smirked, knowing that Maggie won this game before it even started. She came over towards me and stood next to me, leaning against her stick and looking towards the table. I stood there, a beer in my hand and watching as Benn planed his move.

“What’s with the sour face, Sid?” Maggie asked and I looked at her.

“The three guys behind us,” I said and she looked at me and then looked forward, that’s when I saw it, there was a mirror on the wall and Maggie was looking at the refection, “They were staring at your ass when it was your turn.”

“Men,” Maggie scoffed and I snorted.

“Thanks.”

“You’re welcome!” she said and I looked at her, “You used to stare at my ass too, Crosby,” she teased and I knew my face was red, she was right, “How’s Kasey?”

“Good, keeping herself busy with work,” I said and Maggie nodded her head, “So I was thinking-“

“Your turn, Mags,” Benn said and Maggie looked at me.

“Hold that thought,” she said and I nodded my head and watched as she walked over towards the table and planned her turn, bending over towards table and hearing the snickers again. I turned around again and glared and again, they turned their heads.

“Don’t mind them, Crosby,” I heard and turned to see Carter, “She’s gunna get that where ever she goes.”

“I know,” I grumbled and he chuckled.

“I think she knows it too, she just ignores it- You should too,” Carter said and I looked at him and sighed.

“He’s right,” I looked forward and Maggie smirked towards me, “They’re window shopping.”

“Come again?” I laughed.

“Look but don’t touch- Everyone does it,” Maggie said and I rolled my eyes.

“Really? You do it?”

“Yup,” Maggie laughed, “Especially when I met Chris Hemsworth and Channing Tatum.”

“Oh brother,” Carter and I laughed.

-Maggie-
“And I called eight ball, left corner pocket!” I said and then smiled brightly when the ball went into the pocket, “And game! Thank you, thank you!”

“And thank you,” Sidney said and I laughed when Carter grumbled as he handed the money over towards Sidney. I walked over towards him and we high fived.

“Do I get some of that? Ya know, since I’m the one who won,” I laughed and Sidney handed me a hundred of the four hundred in his hand, “Thanks, Crosby.”

“Anytime,” he laughed and I smirked and shook my head.

“Well, are we ready to head to the club-“

“Hey baby, how ‘bout you come with us?” I heard and then felt an arm drape around my shoulder.

I turned my head and saw one of the three boys that were sitting in the corner, they reeked of alcohol. I grabbed the guy’s hand and removed the arm from around me and backed looked towards my guys, “As I was saying,” I said and Benn snickered, “Are we ready to go?”

“Ready for you to come with us- Sure,” the guys said and I sighed.

“Lay off, she’s not interested!” Duchene yelled and I looked at him, he took a step forward and Carter put his hand out to stop him, knowing I was able to handle myself.

“You should mind your business! We weren’t talking to you!”

“What do you wanna do, Mags?” Carter asked and I rolled my eyes.

“I’m ready to get out of here,” I said and then started to walk away, ignoring the drunk boys, but when I felt one of them grab my ass, I snapped around, grabbed the pool stick, shoved the guy against the wall, the pool stick at his neck and I held it there tight, “You don’t ever touch me!” I hissed and he looked at me surprised.

“Hey now-“ the two others came over towards me and I shoved each end of the pool stick into their stomachs and watched as they fell to the ground.

The guy against the wall put his hand on my waist and I punched him in the cheek and he fell to the table. I sighed, turned around and threw the stick on to the table and looked at the boys, “Now can we go?”

The four of them just looked at me and Crosby, shook his head, “Trouble is attracted to you.”

“It’s just my personality,” I said and he laughed, “Can we go?”

Carter came over towards me, wrapped his arm around my shoulder, “Ladies first.”