‹ Prequel: Chances Risked
Sequel: Life's Chances

The Three C's

Chapter Sixty Seven

I had woken up in the middle of the night to find that my bed was empty, it was after one and when I went to bed at nine, it was empty, Pat hadn’t come home. I sighed and crawled out of bed, I wanted to see if he was home and if he wasn’t, I was going to kill him for making my worry.

I walked downstairs, the stairs ended in the kitchen, I flicked the lights on and was taken back to see flowers, dozens and dozens of flowers all over the kitchen counters, roses of every color and fall bouquets engulfed the counters. I walked out of the kitchen and through the dining room to see more flowers, I sighed and shook my head, it was a little extreme, if this was an apology.

Hearing the TV on gave him away, I walked into the living room and found Pat asleep on the couch, tucked underneath a large blanket, the dogs all around him on the ground and arm over his face. I sighed and leaned over the couch, looking down at him.

“You’re an idiot,” I breath and saw Pat smirk, I didn’t think he was awake.

“I’ve been called much worse,” he said, moving his arm and I saw his bright tired blue eyes looking into my green ones.

“I waited for you upstairs,” I said and he sighed.

“Thought I was kicked to the couch tonight, I didn’t want to bother you,” he said and I looked at him sadly, climbed over the couch, sat on his lap and laid on his chest. I felt his arms wrap around me and I tucked my under him.

“I love you, Pat,” I said and he kissed my head and I snuggled my face into his neck.

“I’m sorry about before,” he said and I picked my head up to look at him.

“I want a baby, Pat,” I said and he looked at me, “Just not yet, I have a three year contract and then I’m retiring- We’ve talked about this.”

“I know, I just- When I saw you with Troy, I just- I don’t know, I just wanted three years to come fast,” he said and I gave him a small smile.

-Kane-
Maggie and I ended up falling asleep on the couch, we woke up the next morning, we had a day off because the next day we had a game against Toronto. I woke up today deciding that I was going to drop Troy off at Jon’s he was going to watch him for a few hours, pick Maggie up and take her on an adventure.

“Where are we going, Pat?” Maggie giggled and I smirked towards her and then laced my fingers with hers as I drove on the highway.

When I pulled into the zoo parking lot, there were a few people there, I heard Maggie let out a laugh and she shook her head. I smirked towards her, “Do you approve?”

“Yes!” she laughed and we got out of the car and headed towards the zoo hand in hand, “Why couldn’t we bring Troy too?”

“I just wanted the two of us. I have to worry about you wondering off already, I don’t need to worry about him too,” I managed to make up and Maggie giggled towards me. I paid for the tickets and walked into the park, grabbed the map and Maggie opened it up.

“To the penguins-“

“We’re going to do it a little differently this time, Mags,” I said and she looked at me confused, “Start from the back and work our way up.”

“But that’s not how the map says we should,” she whined and I chuckled.

“Ok, well, we’ll at least do the bird section last,” I said and she compromised and nodded her head, I had a plan.

We walked through at the zoo, being in there for almost three hours, taking our time at each place even though we had been to the zoo, more than a few times. Occasionally we saw fans and signed autographs and took pictures, Maggie took a lot of pictures with me and I got a few of her with animals.

After going through all but the bird section, we headed there. Maggie was carrying around stuffed hawk that I had bought her at the gift store that was in the middle of the zoo. She said she was going to name him Fred, I don’t know why; we were both in goofy moods today.

As we got closer to the bird exhibit, I got nervous, my fingers twitching and I seemed to be checking my pock more often, if my hand ever left my pocket.

We got to the exhibit, seeing the hawk, eagle, owl, different birds that they had. I pulled Maggie over towards the vulture exhibit and smirked towards Maggie. She giggled and leaned against the rail.

“Seems like it wasn’t long ago that we were here for the first time,” she said and I stood behind her and wrapped my arms around her waist, kissing her cheek.

“Three years?” I asked and she nodded her head.

“God, it’s been that long?” she giggled and I let out a laugh.

“Yup, you’ve put up with me for that long,” I teased and she smirked, moving next to her and looking at her, “Hey Mags?”

“Hmm?”

“What we gunna do?” I asked, a smirk on my face as she turned and laughed at me.

“I don’t know, whatchya wanna do?” she smiled brightly, remembering the joke that she had started three years ago, doing the quote from the Jungle Book, a movie that she made me sit down and watch, “I’m so happy that you watched that movie!”

“Did I really have much of a choice?” I laughed and Maggie leaned against me and kissed my cheek.

“No, no you didn’t,” she giggled and I smirked towards her.

We looked at the birds for a little bit longer, and then I looked at her, “Ok, so what we gunna do?”

She giggled, “I don’t know, whatchya wanna do?”

“Look Mags! First I say, ‘What we gunna do’- Then you say, ‘I don’t know, whatchya wanna do’, then I say ‘What we gunna do’, then you say ‘Whatchya wanna do’, and then I say- I don’t know let’s do something!” I quoted jokingly and Maggie was laughing, something I loved to see and hear from her.

“Ok!” she giggled, “Whatchya wanna do?!”

I smirked, it was perfect, I reached into my pocket, felt the little black box, I was so amazed and happy that this was going as planned, “I know what I wanna do,” I said and she giggled.

“Oh yeah? Whatchya wanna do?”

“I wanna marry you,” I said as I bent down on one knee and held out the box. I looked up to see Maggie’s eyes wide and her hand over her mouth, “That’s what I wanna do.”

“Pat,” she gasped and I smiled up at her.

“Is that what you wanna do?”

She let out a laugh, I saw her eyes welling up, she started nodding her head, I stood up and wrapped my arms around her, she cupped my face and pressed her lips against mine, “I do- Yes! I wanna marry you!”

I slipped the ring onto her finger, it fit perfectly and I wanted to give myself a pat on the back for managing to steal one of her rings when I went to visit her to find out what her size was. Maggie looked at the ring and looked at me, I smiled brightly cupped her face and pressed my lips against hers.

“I want to spend the rest of my life with you, Mags- I love you, through the good and the bad, I want to do it together.”

“Patrick Kane,” she said and I just looked at her, “You’re stuck with me whether you like it or not.”

I smiled and nodded my head, pressing my lips against her, holding her tight and getting that feeling of never wanting to let her go, “Good, because I want that so much.”

“Hey Pat,” she said, looking up at me, “What we gunna do?”

“Now don’t start that again!” I said and we giggled.

“Pat.”

“Yeah.”

“Take me home.”

“Yes, ma’am!”

-Maggie-
I stared at the rock on my finger, the phone in my hand against my ear as I listened to it ring. Pat was upstairs in the shower, it was a little late at night and I was so pumped with energy, only hours before, Pat had proposed to me.

“Hello?” I heard the sound of my mother’s voice.

“Mom!” I tried to contain my excitement.

“Oh baby! Hi! How are you?!”

“Is dad there?” I was almost going to explode.

“Yeah, he right here watching the Boston and Pittsburgh ga-“

“Get him!” I squealed.

“Oh, calm down,” she laughed, at least a minute went by, “Ok, you’re on speaker.”

“Hi baby-cakes!” dad yelled into the phone.

“Guess what?!” I yelled.

“What?” they laughed.

“I’M ENGAGED!!!”