‹ Prequel: Chances Risked
Sequel: Life's Chances

The Three C's

Chapter Sixty Nine

It was early in the morning when I woke up to Troy crying in the baby monitor, I sighed and crawled out of bed, looking at the time to see that it was after three in the morning. I cursed when I tripped over Bella, or at least I thought it was Bella, looked back at the bed and saw that it was empty, Pat hadn’t been home yet.

I sighed and then walked out of my room, into the next bedroom and picked up the two year old, “What’s wrong, little man?” I was hugging him when I heard something outside, I walked over towards the window, still carrying him, and looked outside to see Jon’s car pulling up, “Finally,” I breathed and just watched as Jon got out of the car, over towards Pat’s side, opened his door and pulled him out. From the second floor, just seeing how Pat was walking, I figured he was bombed, I just sighed, walked back over towards the bed, laid Troy down and left the room.

I walked downstairs, flicked the stair lights on and went into the living room, Stanley was already downstairs, he bark at the sound of someone at the door. I just leaned against the wall and watched, waiting to see how drunk Pat is, or how drunk they both are for that matter.

“Kaner, where are your keys?!” Jon growled from behind the door.

“Pocket.”

“I’m not digging through your pockets!”

“I think it’s in the pocket,” Pat slurred and I giggled.

‘…Did he even grab his keys before we left?...’ I thought and then walked over towards the table by the door and then bit back a giggle, there they were, his keys in the glass bowl, they were for both of our cars, the house and then for the shed out back, ‘…This should be interesting…’

“I can’t find your stupid keys!” Jon growled, “Did you drop them- I’m not waking Maggie up!” Stanley started to bark because Pat knocked on the glass part of the door and yelled out my name, “Shut up, Pat! You’re gunna wake up the baby and Maggie!”

“Baby?! I have a baby?!” Pat asked and I scoffed and shook my head.

“Just shut up and help me find your fuckin’ keys before Maggie comes down!” Jon hissed.

“Maggie? But she was at the club,” Pat slurred.

“No she wasn’t! Shut up!” Jon yelled.

“Hey! Keep your mouth down! The baby not asleep!” Pat yelled and I rolled my eyes.

“You just shut up! You’re not making any sense!” Jon growled and then I decided to give up on this. I walked over towards the door and swung it opened. Pat must have been leaning on it for support because he flew forward, and if it wasn’t for Jon, he would have fell flat on his face in front of me, “Maggie!” Jon said nervously as he held Pat up, “Um, wow-“

“Maggie?” Pat slurred and looked forward, he had to lean forward a little and squint his eyes, but when he saw me, his face lit up, “There’s my girl! I’ve been lookin’ for you!” he slurred and then attempted to hug me, but it didn’t work out so well, he ended up hitting the doorframe.

“He looks toasted, Jon,” I said and Jon sighed and nodded his head.

“He may have had a little too much fun tonight,” Jon said and I gave him a light glare, “Where do you want him?”

“Just throw him in the guest bedroom- He’s not coming upstairs!” I hissed and Jon grabbed Pat, and helped him into the house and then followed me down the one hallway, passed the office and game room and to the last door, which was the first floor guest bedroom. It had an attached bathroom and was going to be used when either of our parents came to visit, “Just throw him there,” I said and watched as Jon threw Pat onto the bed and I walked into the bathroom, grabbed the trashcan, closed the blinds because when the sun rose the light was going to bother him. I walked out of the room, into the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of water and bottle of Advil, placing them both next to Pat on the nightstand, “Thanks for bringing him home, Jon.”

“It’s fine, sorry he’s a little messed up-“

“He’ll feel it in a few hours,” I said and then sighed, “Come on- Let him sleep it off.”

I walked Jon out of the house, locked the doors and then walked back towards the guest bedroom. I sighed when I looked at Pat; he was laying on his side, clinging to the one pillow, snoring loudly. I shook my head, closed the door and then headed back upstairs to bed. I let out a laugh though, when I walked into my room and saw Troy sleeping on the floor, leaning against Jazz. I picked him up and laid him on the bed; I crawled into bed, feeling Jazz jump up as well and then went to sleep.

-Kane-
I woke up to hearing dogs barking, I groaned, rolled over and covered my head with a pillow, wanting to muffle out the sound. But then it hit me and I shot up, where was I? However, with me moving too fast, my head started to spin and I felt like I was going to be sick. I kept trying to remember how much I had to drink, but couldn’t. I went to jump out of bed to get to the bathroom, but found a trashcan on the floor; I grabbed it and dropped everything in my stomach. When I finished, I placed the can on the ground, leaned over the bed and held my pounding head, I knew that I hadn’t drank like that in a while.

“How are you feeling?” I heard and turned my head slowly and breathed out with relief to see Maggie standing in the doorway.

“Awful.”

“Good,” she said and I saw that she looked annoyed.

“How did I get home? What happened?” I asked and she just glared at me turned around and slammed the bedroom door shut. I winced and then groaned at the loud noise, ‘…What did I do?...’

I saw my phone on the nightstand, along with a bottle of water and Advil, I grabbed them all. Taking the medicine and then drinking the water, while I looked at my phone to see that I had a lot of texts. My eyes widened when I saw that my teammates were all texting me telling me not to do it, but I didn’t know what they were talking about, I was so confused.

I decided to call Jon up, figuring that he would know what happened. I looked at the clock and saw that it was after noon, I hoped he was up.

“You’re alive?” he said and I sighed.

“What happened?” I asked, hoping for some answers.

“You are so lucky that I am your best friend- That’s what happened!” Jon said loudly and I winced as his voice was painful, “You drank too much and almost went too far last night.”

“What did I do?”

“Saw this girl that looked like Maggie and practically followed her around all fuckin’ night and then started to dance with her and almost left with her!” he explained and my eyes were wide.

“Did I kiss her?” I asked, afraid to know the answer.

“I don’t know- I don’t think so, but-“

“Shit Jon, what if Maggie finds out?! I just asked her to marry me- She’s pissed at me already!” I panicked.

“Just calm down, breathe,” he said and I did, “Go take a shower, clean yourself up and just relax with her, we’ll figure things out tomorrow.”

“But-“

“Relax!” he growled and I sighed.

“Fine.”

“Good,” Jon said and then I sighed, looked down at the disgusting trashcan, went to the attached bathroom, cleaning it out and then leaving the room, finding out that I was on the first floor in the guest room.

I slowly and quietly headed for the stairs, finding Maggie to be in the living room watching cartoons with Troy. I walked up the stairs and went to our room, to our bathroom, stripped my clothes and took a nice long hot shower.

-Maggie-
The doorbell rang and I walked over towards it and opened it to see Abby and Sharp on the other side, “Hey guys, what’s up?”

“Just wanted to see how Kaner was feeling?” Sharp said and I moved out of the way so that they could come in.

“I think I hear him upstairs,” I said and they nodded their heads, “Jon brought him home this morning at like three- He was so gone it wasn’t even funny- I was actually kind of pissed that he drank that much.”

“He did more than drink-“

“Abby!” Sharp hissed and I looked at them confused.

“What did he do?” I growled and placed my hands on my hips.

“Nothing much- Just embarrassed himself,” she said and I looked at Sharp.

“What. Did. He. Do?” I looked at them sternly.

“Look Mags, don’t get pissed,” Sharp said and took a step forward, placing his hands on my shoulders, “It-“

I heard footsteps down the stairs and saw Pat appear at the bottom; I looked at him and glared. He stopped walking and looked at me wide eyed, “What’s going on?”

“What did you do?” I growled and Pat looked at me and then past me towards Sharp and Abby, “Patrick!”

“Nothing!” he said and I looked back towards Abby and Sharp.

“Mags, just breathe- He just drank-“

“And danced on the tables- A lot,” Abby said quickly and I looked at her, at Sharp and then at Patrick.

I just sighed, turned around and walked away, shaking my head, I didn’t want to deal with this right now, something didn’t feel right.