‹ Prequel: Chances Risked
Sequel: Life's Chances

The Three C's

Chapter Seventy One

-Kane-
Weeks had passed and it was the first week of December, Christmas was close and I still didn’t know what to get Maggie. The Blackhawks had been doing really well in the league, managing to be in the top three. Maggie was fifth in the league for the top scorers and everyone was talking about the 2015 All Star game, wondering if she and any of the other girls had made the teams. The All Star game was picked to be hosted in Columbus; however, none of the Captain’s were chosen yet.

Dana was brought up from the NHL only two weeks ago and she was so excited to be able to play in the same league as her older cousin. However, if she wasn’t going to be brought down, we wouldn’t play her until next month.

The team and I had just finished a game against the Predators and we were a little upset about losing to them. Maggie was happy to see her friend James Neal, I had to admit, that even if he didn’t like being in Nashville, he was definitely helping the team. We finished in the locker room, everyone had only a few minutes to say goodbye to their families because as soon as everyone was ready, we were heading to the airport to fly to Pittsburgh for our game against them tomorrow night.

“Nealer!” I heard and turned to see Maggie dart down the hallway and jump into her friends arms. I chuckled as he had to drop his bag and brace himself for Maggie to come at him.

“You sure there’s nothing going on there?” I heard and turned to see Shaw looking at the two friends.

“Naw, they’re just friends,” I said and he just shrugged his shoulders, “Come on, don’t do this to me again!”

“What?” Shaw laughed, “He is prettier than you!”

“What?!” I laughed and Shaw just shrugged his shoulder, “You’re just- Wow! Fuck you man!”

“What’s up?” I heard and felt an arm around my shoulder and saw Sharp and Abby.

“Shaw just said that Neal is prettier than me!” I said and Abby giggled and then looked towards Neal and Maggie, leaning her head to each side and then looking at me and then back down at Neal.

Well-“

“Abby!” I gasped.

“You don’t have to be worried or anything, Kaner,” Sharp said and I looked at him, “She’s got your ring on her finger,” I smiled brightly and then looked back towards Neal and Maggie and saw them finishing up, “You know it’s going to be like that tomorrow when we see the Penguins.”

“Yeah, I know,” I sighed.

“Just have to get used to it man,” Shaw said and then patted my shoulders and then turned around to head towards the door that lead to outside, wanting to get a good seat on the bus that was going to take us to the airport.

-Maggie-

“Wait, wait, wait, I think I got- I got it!” I cheered and then high fived Pat, “Suck on that, Seabiscuit!”

The team and I were on a two hour flight to Pittsburgh that felt like it was taking forever, the guys and I were trying to stay awake, since it was late at night, because we knew that once we got to the hotel, we would crash. So I was spending my time taking over Pat’s PsP and attempting to kill Seabrook in this fighting game.

“Great job, Mags, one out of twenty two!” he yelled from the back of the plane and I held up my arm and flipped him off, hearing some guys chuckled.

“Can I have my game back?” Pat asked as I started a new game, this time finding myself playing Shaw.

“No.”

“Maggie-“

“No.”

“Mag-“

“No,” I said and then giggled when Pat whined a little, “I’m gunna beat him.”

“Who are you playing?”

“Shaw.”

“No you won’t,” Pat chuckled and then sighed and I growled and just started pressing all different buttons, hoping that the one I was pushing was the right one.

When the plane landed and we grabbed our bags, got to the bus, managed to make it through the snowy streets of Pittsburgh to our hotel, we all crashed in our bedrooms. It felt weird not to be in the same bed as Pat, but Coach had a strict rule that Pat and I have separate rooms.

I grabbed the pillows off the other bed, since I had the whole room to myself, and then threw them onto my bed, making a little wall with them; I needed to make it feel like someone was lying behind me. As soon as I got comfortable, I fell asleep.

However, sleep only lasted a few hours. The reason why we left Chicago after the game yesterday, instead of this morning, was because we were granted permission to use the ice for practice and early in the morning was the only time we were given.

At six in the morning I’m waking up to my phone ringing, my wake up call, and fifteen minutes later, a knock at my door, saying that breakfast was ready downstairs. I opened my door in my pajamas and saw a tired Pat and Jon, we were all in our pajamas, black pajama pants with a hot pink long sleeve thermal shirt.

We made it downstairs to see breakfast set up for us and some of the guys already downstairs. The first thing I went for was the coffee, and I’m pretty sure I growled at Saad, hell, maybe even Coach too, just to get to it. After grabbing a plate of food and heading over towards the one table, sitting with Jon, Pat, Sharp and Crawford, I listened to the boys talk about the plan for tonight to beat Pittsburgh.

“What do you think, Mags?” Crawford asked and I sighed, “Mags.”

“Huh? What?!” I snapped my head up.

“You hear us?” Jon asked and I sighed and shook my head.

“Still not awake,” I said and they chuckled and nodded their heads.

“We were saying that we could try to get you the puck, you know the team and their skills pretty well,” Jon said and I nodded my head.

“Sure, whatever,” I said and then pushed my plate away.

“You all right?” Pat asked and I picked up my coffee cup to find it empty.

“No.”

“What’s wrong?” Sharp asked and I gave him a sad face and held my coffee cup upside down.

“I’m out of caffeine,” I whined and the guys laughed.

“Here,” Pat said and then stood up, grabbed my cup and walked away.

“Awww, look at that!” Sharp teased as Pat brought me a new cup of coffee, “Ain’t he sweet.”

“Me gusta!” I smiled and wrapped my arms around Pat’s neck and kissed his cheek, “I think I’ll keep you.”

“Good,” Pat chuckled and I felt his arm wrap around my waist as I poured some cream into my coffee and a bag of sugar.

When we finished breakfast, we all headed back to our rooms to get dressed into some clothes that we could wear to the rink, we were going to have a light practice.

-Kane-

“Maggie, Maggie, Maggie, Maggie, MAGGIE!!!” we all stopped and turned our heads just in time to see Maggie bull dozed to the ground and two giant children on top of her, “We missed you!!!”

“I think you crushed her,” Crawford said and I bent down and looked at Maggie’s face.

“You alive?”

“Can’t breathe,” she managed to get out and I chuckled and patted Bennett and Maatta’s back.

“She can’t breathe guys.”

“Yo! Don’t kill her before we get to hug her!” I heard and turned my head to see Fleury, Malkin, Crosby, Dupuis, Letang, Sutter, Martin, and Kunitz.

“Maggie!” Malkin yelled and jogged forward and we just watched him, push Bennett and Maatta off, picked Maggie up and hugged her.

“I feel like a doll right now,” she giggled and then looked back towards Maatta and Bennett, “Ya’ll almost killed me!”

“Sorry,” the pouted and she smiled and threw them both in a headlock.

“OW! Come on Mags!” Bennett yelled and the two tried to get out while we all laughed. Maggie then let out a scream and Maggie let the boys go and turned around to see Fleury smirking.

“Flower, you jerk! I hate when you poke my sides!” she yelled and he laughed and I smirked when they hugged.

‘…I know she misses being in Pittsburgh, but I’m happy that she’s in Chicago…’ I thought as I watched her go up to each of her friends and hug them.