‹ Prequel: Chances Risked
Sequel: Life's Chances

The Three C's

Chapter Seventy Two

We ended up winning against the Penguins, beating them in overtime, with Maggie scoring the winning goal, three minutes into the extra period. After the game, the guys and I headed back to the hotel, but not Maggie, she was going out to dinner with some of her former teammates.

“It’s Saturday night, we won the game, we’re staying overnight, and I want to have some fun!” Crawford said and I chuckled and nodded my head, “Let’s go out!”

“Where?” Jon asked.

“Maggie was always talking about this Diesels?” I said and the guys looked at me, “Wanna check that out?”

“Sure,” some of the guys said and I watched as Shaw pulled up on his phone the address and directions to the club.

-Maggie-
“So let me see it, let me see it!” Vero begged as she came over towards me with Kasey, Sidney’s girlfriend, and Maureen Kunitz behind her.

“I wanna see it too!” Kasey giggled.

I didn’t have a choice, I felt me hand being snatched up and the girls staring at the ring on my finger.

“It’s so pretty!” they gushed and I looked towards the guys to see some looking at it, some in a conversation with others.

“How’d Kane do it?” Sidney asked and I giggled and blushed.

“It’s gunna sound stupid, but it’s actually an inside joke,” I said bit my lip, “Um, you ever see the kids movie the jungle book?”

“Yeah,” Kasey said.

“Um, well, our first time out was to the zoo in Chicago, he was taking me out while his teammates decorated his apartment for a surprise birthday for me, the scene with the vultures, I joked about it with him that day, and he proposed to me that way too.”

“Aww, cute!” Vero said and I giggled and nodded my head, “When’s the big day?”

“Sometime this coming summer,” I said and she nodded my head, “Probably right before we all go back for training.”

We all sat down at the steakhouse that we usually went to, I was in-between Beau and Olli, I missed my two troublemakers. I felt my phone buzz and looked at it to see that Pat texted me saying that he went to Diesels with some of the guys and I let out a little laugh.

“What?” Sidney said, sitting across from me.

“Some of the guys went to Diesels,” I said and he chuckled, “I’m afraid now.”

“We should go!” Beau said and I smirked and nodded my head.

-Kane-
“I like Timbers better,” I said, talking about the one club in Chicago that we usually went to.

“Definitely,” Jon said, taking a swig of his beer and looking down at the dance floor.

“Miss me!” I heard and saw Jon jump as Maggie scared him.

I chuckled and turned around, seeing him with some Penguins, “Definitely,” I smiled and then pressed my lips against hers and wrapped an arm around her waist, “You have fun at dinner.”

“I did, I missed them, but I missed you more,” she said and I smirked.

“Oh, ick, don’t be all lovey around me,” Jon teased and Maggie laughed and then playfully pushed him.

“You’re just jealous that Emma’s not here!” Maggie said and I laughed and watched as Jon wrapped his arm around Maggie’s neck and he kissed her head, whispering something into her ear and I watched as her face lit up and she jumped up and hugged Jon, “I KNEW IT!!!”

“What?” I laughed and Maggie looked at me and then back at Jon.

“Can I tell him?! Please let me tell him!” she said and I laughed.

“Sure.”

“He’s seeing Emma!” she squealed and I smirked and gave my friend a hug, happy for Captain Serious to dim it down a little.

“My lady,” we heard and I turned to see Bennett, “May I have this wobble?”

Maggie giggled and then looked at me, I smirked and watched as she grabbed Bennett’s hand and he pulled her towards the dance floor and Jon and I laughed when she drug Crosby with her.

“Oh I have to get this on video!” Jon said and I held his beer as he pulled his phone out, aimed it for the dance floor and leaned against the banister.

The wobble song came on and Maggie absolutely loved to dance to this song and I couldn’t control my laughter as Crosby attempted to do it as well. Some of the other guys came over, from both teams and watched as Maggie danced to this song, some even going down to join her.

“Youtube?” I asked and Jon looked at me and smirked, “Youtube,” I laughed and nodded my head.

“Crosby’s not gunna live that down!” Jon said and I laughed and nodded my head.

-Maggie-
“Are you fucking serious?!” I yelled towards the ref as he called a goal for the Sharks a goal, when the puck never went into the net, “Open your eyes!”

“We’ll get it back, Mags,” Jon said and I growled and looked at the boards, the score was two to two in the third period.

A little over two weeks had passed, it was three days until Christmas and we were in the middle of a home game against San Jose. I was hurting after being slammed into the boards repeatedly after a hot headed San Jose defensemen, but I was trying to keep my cool.

Jon and I made it back to the bench, leaning against the boards and looking at our angry Coach, he knew that goal was a bad call as well. Coach went on about drawing a plan for Pat, Jon, Sharp, Shaw and Seabrook, when I saw that I wasn’t on the plan, I hopped over the boards and sat down.

Coach didn’t put me back onto the ice until there were three minutes left in the game. I tried my hardest to get a goal, to set my teammates up with a goal, but it didn’t happen. As I caught the pass from Hossa and tried to pass it to Smith, Tennyson, a defenseman from San Jose, the guy that’s been on me all night, stole the puck. I growled and chased after him as he headed towards Crawford.

I managed to steal the puck back and shoot it towards no one as I felt myself being shoved back. I caught myself and glared at the player and headed down the ice. San Jose got the puck back and headed for Crawford again, I was chasing after Tyler Kennedy, and old teammate, when I felt my skate being pulled out from under me and I started to belly slide right towards the net. I tried to turn to stop myself, but I made it worse.

I heard the buzzard sound; the Shark got a goal just as I flew into the net, hit the top of my helmet off of the post and felt Crawford fall on top of me. I groaned at his weight on me and the sudden dizziness. The horn blew, the game was over, the Sharks won the game and I was trying to push myself off of the ice, but Corey was still on top of me.

“Corey, get up, you gotta get up.”

“My skate’s stuck in the net, I can’t!” he said and tried to sit up, the pressure was starting to hurt my back, “I heard you hit the post, you all right?”

“A little dizzy,” I muttered, laying my head on the ice as I saw skates come around the net.

“OW! Fuckin’ don’t move the net, I’m stuck!” Corey yelled and I sighed.

“Maggie, are you all right?” I heard and sighed, the most I could muster was a thumbs up.

A few minutes went by and they managed to get Crawford free and off of me. I was helped up by Sharp and Pat and I blinked my eyes, leaning onto someone as I was dizzy again.

“Mags?” I heard but just took my glove off and pinched the bridge of my nose.

“I’m all right, just got a little dizzy,” I said and Jeff, the trainer, came over and helped me off of the ice and took me to see Doc.

Doc checked me over and I was fine, he just thought that the weight of Corey wasn’t allowing me to inhale a lot of air. I hopped off of the table and walked into the locker room to see the guys waiting for me.

“Well?” Jon asked and Pat stood up.

“I’m fine, Crawfish just has a fat ass and I couldn’t breathe,” I said and some of the guys chuckled.

“Good,” Pat said and I felt his hand on my neck and he kissed my forehead, he had stripped down to his under armor.

-Kane-
Maggie and I got home from the game, we were tired and just wanted to sleep, but needed to stay awake to get some food in our system. It wasn’t much, but Maggie heated up some leftovers and we sat on the couch, watching the highlights of tonight’s games.

“You remember that my parents are flying up tomorrow right- Nicky too,” Maggie said and I looked at her, my eyes a little wide, “You forgot.”

“No, I didn’t-“

“Patrick,” she said sternly and I sighed.

“I forgot.”

Maggie giggled and then kissed my cheek, “Don’t be nervous, they love you- Remember?”

“Patrick Kane, every fathers dream boy for their daughter,” I said and Maggie laughed and I chuckled, placed my plate on the coffee table, watched her place hers on the ground and I leaned her down, climbed on top of her and pressed my lips against hers.

Maggie pulled back and ran her fingers through my hair, “You’re my dream boy.”