‹ Prequel: Chances Risked
Sequel: Life's Chances

The Three C's

Chapter Eighty Eight

-Maggie-
“Looking good, Mags,” I heard and looked up to see Sharpie he was holding onto his IV bag, like myself, and walking in the small hallway in the ICU room.

“You too, Sharps,” I said and he nodded his head towards me. I turned my head and looked up, seeing names on the curtains and went to Pat’s room. I pulled back the curtain and saw him still in the bed, he wasn’t awake yet, I had been awake for two days, most of the team was awake. I saw his parents around him, they looked at me and gave a small smile.

“You’re awake,” Mrs. Kane said and then came over and gave me a small hug, “I’m happy.”

“He didn’t wake up yet?” I asked and she shook her head. I walked over towards him and sat in the chair, holding his hand and just looking at him.

“He moved a little bit this morning, so the doctors think he’ll wake up today,” Mr. Kane said and I gave a small smile and nodded my head.

“Maggie,” I heard and looked up and smiled in the doorway, Jon was standing there, holding his IV bag, but he was up and walking.

“You’re up,” I said and he nodded his head and walked into the room, Pat’s parents left the room and gave us some time with Pat, “How are you feeling?”

“Sore,” he said and I laughed a little, “You?”

“Same,” I said and Jon sighed and sat on Pat’s bed.

“He still didn’t wake up?” Jon asked and I bit my lip and shook my head, “Shaw, Saad and Seabrook didn’t either.”

“My dad said there was a rookie that had an allergic reaction to the antidote- How’s he doing?” I asked and Jon sighed.

“Last I heard, not good,” he said and I sighed and looked back at Pat, “I’m going to go and check up on everyone.”

“Even hospitalized you still do job as Captain,” I said and Jon gave me a quick smirk and kissed the top of my head.

“Happy you’re awake, Mags,” he said and I nodded my head, “Don’t worry, it’s Kaner, he’ll be fine.”

“Thanks Tazer,” I said and Jon nodded his head and then left the room, leaving me alone with Pat. I bit my lip and then kissed his hand, “Please wake up soon, Pat, I love you.”

I sat in front of Pat for hours, waiting for him to move, to wake up, but when the sun went down and visiting hours were over, he was still asleep. The nurse came in and told me that I needed to go back to my room, but I didn’t want to leave, even when I told her that he was my fiancé.

“I’m sorry, it’s just the rules of the hospital,” she said and I sighed, stood up, kissed Pat’s head and then left the room with her, heading down to mine and depressingly sat on my bed and then laid back and stared at the ceiling.

-Toews-
I woke up to Emma sitting next to me sipping on a coffee, Troy was sitting on the cot in the corner of the room, playing with his toys. She smiled at me and then sat up and kissed my head, “Hey there, sleepy head.”

“What time is it?” I asked and she giggled and looked at her watch.

“After ten in the morning, I’ve been here for about two hours,” she said and I sat up.

“You could have woken me up,” I said and she shrugged her shoulders.

“Doctors are saying that you and some of the others can move more into the hospital, go outside and maybe even take a shower,” Emma informed me and I smiled.

“I’m like the whole shower thing,” I said and she giggled.

“Trust me, me too,” she said and I scoffed and rolled my eyes, hearing her giggled, made a smile form on my face.

“Code Blue! Code Blue!” Emma and I heard yelling outside of the room and we both perked up.

“Mommy,” Troy said, getting up and running over towards Emma, she picked him up and walked over towards the curtain, pulling it back and looking out.

I followed, standing next to her to see nurses running down and over towards a room, I couldn’t tell whose it was, I just heard a scream and then crying. I froze and started to shake, ‘…Who did we lose?...’ I thought and then looked at Emma, her hand was over her mouth and a shocked expression on her face as we listened to the loud crying. I wrapped my arm around Emma’s waist and she laid her head on my shoulder.

“What happened?” I heard and looked up to see Sharpie, he was looking better.

“I don’t know, nothing good though,” I said and Sharpie nodded his head and then headed closer, coming back later with a sad face, “What is it?”

“The rookie, Kirk, he didn’t make it,” Sharpie announced and my eyes widened.

“He was the one allergic to the antidote, right?” I asked and Sharpie nodded his head. I sighed and then rubbed Emma’s arm and looked down to see the crying family standing outside of the rookie’s room, “Shit, he’s the one that didn’t go into the second period?”

“Yeah,” Sharpie said and I sighed.

“What’s going on?” I heard and looked up to see Maggie, I nudged my head for her to come here and she did, she and Sharpie came into my room and Emma closed the door.

“The rookie didn’t make it,” I said and Maggie’s eyes widened.

“Pat’s still not awake yet, Jon,” she started to panic, “Even Shaw and Saad are awake, they woke up during the night,” tears started to form.

“That doesn’t mean anything Mags, he’s going to wake up,” Sharpie tried to sooth her, but it wasn’t working, “Seabrook still isn’t awake yet.”

“What if they don’t wake up?” she asked and Sharpie hugged her and rubbed her back as she started to cry.

-Maggie-
Word had gone around about the rookie not making it, that was the bad news, the good news was that the police had managed to catch Grant Burnley and he was going to get hit hard with a shit ton of charges. Attempted murder had now just turned to murder one and he was going to go to jail for a very long time.

I was sitting next to Pat humming a tune that was stuck in my head, I wasn’t paying attention when I heard his voice, “Haven’t heard you sing in a while,” my head snapped to the side and met his bright blue eyes.

“Pat,” I breathed and he just smiled at me.

“Hey beautiful.”

I jumped up, wrapped my arms around his neck and pressed my lips against his. Pulling away when we both needed air and then climbing off of him when I realized I was hurting him. I started to cry and laugh at the same time, just so happy that he was awake.

“Oh, you’re a nice view to see when I wake up in the morning,” he said and I laughed and pressed my lips against his.

“You had me worried sick,” I sniffled, “You wouldn’t wake up.”

“How long have I been out?”

“Nine days,” I said and he just looked at me and nodded his head, “I woke up three days ago.”

“What happened?” he asked and I explained to him what happened and told him everything, from the rookie passing to the bastard being caught, “Sounds like I missed a lot.”

“I love you so much, Pat,” I said and he smiled and sat up, with my help, cupped my neck with his hand and then pulled me forward, pressing his lips against mine.

“I love you too, Mags,” he said and I just started to laugh at the fact that I was so happy he was awake.

“I hear voices,” we heard and then looked towards the door and I smiled seeing Pat’s parents walking in.

I moved and sat in the chair when his mother walked over wanting to hug her son, crying, like me, out of happiness that he was awake.

The flap opened again and I saw Jon smiling face, “He’s awake,” he said and I nodded my head, “Good, we’re all awake.”

“Saved the best for last, eh?” Pat said and Jon laughed.

“And he woke up Canadian,” Jon said and we all laughed and I hugged and kissed Pat.

“Yeah great I’m awake, now we just have to bust out of this joint,” Pat said and I giggled and held his hand.

“In a few days we will, babe.”