Status: On Going

You'll Never Take Us Alive

Chapter 7: Like the ocean

Gerard had taken me outside for the first time in what seemed like forever. The fact that I can stretch my wings once again and fly if I want to and not worry about running away. I truly do like Gerard.

I now can trust the Way’s now, I know that they aren’t going to harm me. I could hear the waves of the ocean and my head snapped up. Gerard starts to laugh.

“It’s the lake and water fall you’re hearing. But I’m getting a bit hungry so I say we get some food and then go and sit by the water, what do you think?” Gerard was a bit distant today. It seemed like he was drowning in his thoughts but I would try to help him.

I nodded food sounded good, the waterfall also sounded nice. I had always liked the water, maybe that was the reason I had stuck to the lakes and rivers. It was always so soothing. For some reason i would always loose myself just by staring at the rushing waters.

I lost myself in my thoughts while Gerard went to get what was necessary for, I guess I could call it, the picnic. I thought back from when they first found me to now. My perspective on these vampires changed drastically. They were so kind to me and to think they would hurt me.

Sure Gerard stepped and broke my wing but that was an accident. Beside it's all better now thanks to Mikey. Occasionally my parents would drop by to visit me. I couldn't understand why they weren't allowed to stay in the same room with me. Must be because there isn't enough room or something.

My unborn brother is almost here. I was devastated for a while when I found out my previous unborn brother didn't make it, but now there's a new one on the way and that's all that counts.

Gerard also told me about how his family for generations has been protecting my kind, and I'm really grateful. I actually met his father once.

Gerard's father was tall with many expression lines. He had rough hands, his voice was hoarse and raspy. Yet his features and bone structure is extremely similar to Gerard's. His eyes was what caught me the most though.

His eyes were cold and hard as if he'd seen too many tragedies. His eyes weren't like Gerard's. Gerard's eyes are soft with a warm hazel and specks of honey gold in them, they always seems to be filled with some type of emotion.

His father's eyes, they're a dark brown. They're so cold that if you stared into them you'll practically fall to your knees, his eyes are emotionless there's nothing in them. Regardless of his eyes he is very kind. He helped Mikey heal me and he has a great sense of humor.

I could tell Mikey and Gerard look up to him greatly. I was so deep in thought that. Didn't see Gerard approaching me with a basket in hand. I jumped when he put a hand on my shoulder. My reaction seemed to amuse him because he flashed me his pearly whites and lengthen canines.

"Did I scare you?" He joked. Yet I felt my cheeks heat up and turned away slowly nodding. "Hey, there's no need to feel embarrassed I zone out too." He assured me. I smiled a bit.

"Alright so I got the food and a blanket are you ready to go?" He asked. My smile widened and I nodded. Sometimes I think I annoy him by not talking and just nodding my head and smiling but he just smiles back and motioned for me to follow him.

After turning a few lefts and rights -and maybe a potty break in the middle of the words on Gerard's part- the sound of water hitting water became louder and soon enough we arrived at the waterfall. It was huge! The waterfall was at least 30 feet tall and the lake was really wide. The water was clear and I could see that the lake was fairly deep. But the water reminded me of crystal.

Gerard kept on walking and stopped a safe distance from the lake. He set down the basket and pulled out a blanket, unfolded it and set it on the ground. He turned to me and motioned for me to sit down, so I did.

He took out the contents of the basket. He made a salad for me and took out was seemed like a bottle of blood for himself. I honestly didn't mind it. It's who he is. A comfortable silence fell upon us and for a while we just gazed at the water transfixed by its beauty. Gerard was the firs to break the silence.

"It's beautiful isn't it?" He asked. I just nodded, keeping my eyes on the lake. "Do you like the ocean?" At this I looked at him and smiled widely nodding my head. "Me too."

"I like how the waves would just splash on the shore like they're they're trying to hold on to something or someone. Sometimes I think it's hiding secrets. That's the reason because the waves are so rough and the animals there are dangerous is because it's protecting whatever it is from us. Something so precious that if someone takes a hold of it, everything beautiful jus vanishes." Throughout his whole speech all I managed to do was nod my head. Gerard had this was with words.... It was very poetic.

"You know what I think, Frank?" He asked looking at me straight in the eye. I looked back at him with a questioning look. "I think you're like an ocean." He said, the same expression remaining on my face.

"You're like an ocean." He said again. "You keep on reaching out trying to hold on to something or someone,but at the same time you put up your defense trying to keep people away from something so pure and so perfect that if they took a hold of it you'll break. You're afraid to break. That why you wont let anybody hold you lovingly not even your parents." I just looked at him I felt tears rimming my eyes, but they wouldn't fall.

"It's okay to let go Frank. It's okay to feel." He said.

"Feel?" I asked. He seemed taken back by my response but nodded.

"Yeah feel like hug?" I shook my head I hadn't had a hug in a long time.

"When was the last time someone made a loving gesture to you Frank?" He asked. I merely shrugged my shoulders. What he did next caught me by surprise. He leaned in and hugged me. I was shocked I didn't know what to do at first. Eventually I wrapped my arms around him and buried my head in the crook of his neck.

His hold was strong yet his arms were welcoming and warm. I forgot the last time I was ever held like this. It truly is nice. We stayed like that for a while just holding each other. It was only me and him.

We both pulled back though. I leaned up and pecked his forehead as a type of thank you from me. I looked into his eyes and he gazed at mine and smiled. I broke the gaze and looked back at the lake and waterfall slowly eating my salad .

Gerard did the same. Sipping blood from his bottle and occasionally throwing comments in about something and me just nodding my head to whatever he had to say. It was like that the rest of the day.