Status: I hope you enjoy this, I'm just posting it straight from my wattpad because idfk how this website works o k a y

Counting Down the Days for Christmas

6 - Realisation

It was Kellin's sixth Christmas, but instead of spending it at home with his family, he was lying unconscious in a hospital bed.

Vic was sat on one of the orange plastic chairs beside Kellin's bed, waiting impatiently for him to wake up. Vic didn't know why Kellin wouldn't wake up - he wouldn't even wake up when Vic shouted his name. Vic could feel his eyes watering; he just wanted his Kellin to be okay.

Mary was sat on the other side of Kellin's bed. Her son had passed out earlier that day, she was just waiting for the doctor to explain why it had happened.

"Miss Quinn, can you come outside for a quick chat please?" The doctor asked, with a kind smile on his face.

Mary shot up out of her chair, making her way towards the doctor slowly. She wanted to know what had happened to her son, the sooner the better.

Vic felt the tears running down his cheeks and before long he was full on sobbing. Why wouldn't Kellin wake up? Did Kellin not like him anymore?

A nurse was walking past the door of Kellin's room, when she heard the sobbing of a young child. She was a kindly nurse, so it was her natural instinct to open the door and see what was wrong.

Vic could hear the door being opened and someone walk in. He looked up with puffy eyes and tear-stained cheeks to see a nurse looking down at him, an expression of pity clear on her face.

"What's wrong dear?" She asked him curiously, a pitiful smile etched onto her face.

Vic scowled at her. How could she be smiling if his Kellin was poorly? He didn't like being pitied, not one bit.

"He won't wake up!" Vic shouted, pointing at Kellin, before bursting into a new set of tears. He wanted his Kellin back!

The nurse glanced over to where Vic was pointing, her eyes suddenly landing on the young boy lying on the bed. She made her way over to the boy, gently pushing him over to the side a bit so that she could see his name tag: Kellin Quinn.

Vic shot out of his chair, glaring at the nurse, running over to Kellin's side.

"Don't touch him, you'll hurt him!" Vic spoke angrily, before facing Kellin and carefully brushing his long black fringe out of his face. That nurse had no right to touch his Kellin.

"Is he your brother?" The nurse asked Vic curiously. Why was the young boy so protective over him anyway?

"No! He's not my brother!" Vic told her angrily, rolling his eyes. Why couldn't this nurse just leave him alone with his Kellin?

"Then why are you so upset? Is it because you can't have your presents yet?" She questioned him again, genuinely confused as to why Vic was acting the way he was.

"No! You just don't get it! Why would I want presents if my Kellin's sick? He's much more important." Shouted Vic, rolling his eyes at her again. She was stupid to think he would choose presents over Kellin.

And at that moment the nurse realised. She realised why Vic had been so protective over Kellin and so hostile towards her. She smiled widely, because that was definitely the cutest thing she'd ever seen.

"Well I guess I'll leave you with him then," She said, before walking out of the door to get on with her life, the smile never once leaving her face.

Vic rolled his eyes at her once she'd closed the door, he was just glad that she'd finally left him to be with his Kellin.

He put his head in his lap, holding Kellin's hand lightly. "Please wake up Kellin," He whispered out sadly. The only thing he wanted for Christmas was for his Kellin to wake up, then he'd be the happiest boy ever.

He stayed holding Kellin's hand for another five minutes, until he finally felt a light squeeze back. Vic's head shot up, overjoyed that Kellin had held his hand back. That meant he must be waking up!

"Kellin?" Vic asked cautiously, not wanting to push his luck.

"Vic," He heard Kellin say in return, his voice throaty and hoarse. "Vic," He repeated, before his eyes fluttered open, blinking at the sudden light.

"Kellin!" I'm so glad you're awake!" Vic shouted in excitement, sweeping Kellin's weak body into a tight hug. He felt the tears coming on again, except this time they were tears of happiness.

"Vic... You're hurting," Kellin gasped out, feeling a sharp pain in his side.

Vic immediately let go of Kellin, not wanting to hurt the weak and fragile boy. "I'm so sorry Kellin! I'm just so glad that you're finally awake!" He stated, still overjoyed that his Kellin was better now.

"Yeah, me too," Kellin joked quietly, shooting Vic a weak smile. Then he took a closer look at Vic and saw his tear-stained face. "Have you been crying Vic?" He asked, stroking Vic's cheek lightly.

Vic felt weak at Kellin's touch. He could feel the butterflies running through his stomach at Kellin's words. He could feel himself smiling at the fact that Kellin had just woken up from being very sick, yet he still cared enough to ask if Vic was okay.

"Of course I was crying! I was so worried about you!" Vic exclaimed, taking Kellin's hand and giving it a squeeze.

They stayed like that for a while, sitting on Kellin's hospital bed with their hands clasped together. It gave them both a sense of security when they were holding hands, though neither boy could fully explain the connection. They just knew that it was there, which was enough for them both.

But while the two boys were sat on Kellin's hospital bed making the most of their Christmas with each other's company, the mothers were outside the doctor's office with a very upset Mary.

"He might not even make it to be ten, Vivian! My own son might not even live to be ten!" Mary wailed, tears steaming down her face. She knew what the doctor had to say wouldn't be good, but she never though it would be quite as bad as this.

"The doctor said that was only a possibility. He has 70% chance. That's a lot better than what it could be." Vivian said, in desperate attempts to try to comfort a distraught Mary.

"That's not good enough! What about the other 30%? What if he doesn't make it because of that 30%, what then? He's my son! He deserves so much more than this." Mary sobbed, unable to grasp the fact that her own son had 70% chance of survival.

"Only time can tell Mary. Only time can tell"
♠ ♠ ♠
i haven't updated in ages i keep forgetting i'm so sorry