Pyro

Closure

“I couldn’t wash out all of the blood. Sorry…”
Alessandro handed me my scarf – a dark red spot on the edge near where it was singed.

“That was the third time this week. Don’t worry about it.”
I wrapped it loosely around my neck, making sure to hide the spot.

“Did you pack up everything that you need?”
He nodded.

I watched as he picked up his camera from the table, hanging the strap around his neck.

“How is it?”
“There’s a small crack in the lens and my memory card is no longer in there. However, nothing too troubling.”

I bit down on my lip and stood face-to-face with him, placing a hand onto his shoulder.

“Are you sure you want to go with me? You can always stay here. It will be less trouble for you.”

“If I don’t go with you, I know that I will never see you again. Besides, there’s nothing left for me here. I should have realized that as soon as my parents were buried.”

“So your mind is made up?”
He nodded again as he picked up his bag.

We exited the apartment room – Alessandro locked the door and dropped the keys onto the floor.

As soon as we reached the sidewalk, I stopped.

“What is it?”
“There’s one more thing that I have to do.”

//πυρ//

“Hello again, Mother. I know it’s been a little while.”

I stood in front of her, eyeing her decrepit figure.

“I did what I said I would. Marco burned up in a pool of his own blood. He’s finally dead.”
No response.

“Aren’t you happy? I killed the man that ruined you! Aren’t you happy…?”

Her sad demeanor still remained, even after all these years.

“You still hate me…don’t you…? Because I…”

The dried bloodstains on the floor and on her long skirt, along with the ash and soot resting on the chair and her body, answered my question.

I let a couple of tears fall.

“It was your own fault…It was bad enough that you stopped loving me…but to remind me every single day that you had stopped…and then even when I needed you the most…”

I wiped my tears away and took out my matchbox, taking out a cigarette as well.
I placed it between my lips and lit it, putting out the match and throwing the box to the ground.

Inhale. Exhale.

“Now that this is all over…I’m done with trying to gain your love back.

I placed my hand onto the top of her head, watching as her already-singed hair lit up.
It was only a matter of seconds until her whole body and the chair were in flames.

I took my leave without another word towards her, closing the door and locking it behind me.

“What happened? Did you leave something?”

Alessandro was waiting at the gate, a concerned look on his face.
I gave him a smile.

“I took care of it. No need to worry.”

I could tell he wasn’t satisfied with my answer.

“I’ll tell you later. We should just worry about leaving.”
I grabbed a hold of his hand as we made our way towards the next town over.

“So what’s the plan?”
“We’re going to see how far we can get by train, and then we can start our lives from there.”

“The nearest train station is ten miles from here, Vincenzio…”
“Then it’s going to be you, me, the melting snow, and ten miles.”

He was slightly annoyed, but a smile did appear.

“Do you think we can make it to Vicenza?”
“Why there?”

He was silent for a moment.

“My father traveled there one day and took many pictures with this camera. It’s a beautiful place.”

“Then we’ll go.”
“Really?!”

I smiled before I stole a quick kiss from him.

“Of course. It’s our new life. Where ever you want to go and whatever you want to do, I will be happy with it, and I will be right by your side.”

“We can forget about everything that has happened. We can put it all behind us, like it never existed.”

I nodded in agreement and wrapped an arm around him, pulling him a little closer to me.

“I love you, Vincenzio…”

“Really…? You still do…?”
“I know you have reasons to doubt it…but I really do.”

A tear and a smile.

“I love you too, Alessandro…”

//πυρ//

“Two tickets to Vicenza , please.”

Alessandro was ordering the tickets when I came back with two cups of coffee for us.
The clerk stamped the tickets and handed them to him.

We sat down on the nearest bench and I handed him his drink.

“The train will be here in about fifteen minutes. This is really exciting…!”
“When was the last time you left town?”

“When I graduated secondary school…”

“Five years?”
He nodded.

“There’s so much to see in the world, Alessandro. Especially when you’re a photographer.”
“I guess you’re right…”

Twelve minutes have passed as people were already lining up to wait for the train’s arrival.
Alessandro handed me my ticket – whilst bouncing slightly in his chair.

“Excuse me.”

We both turned towards the source of the voice – two policemen.

I stood up from my chair. Alessandro seemed to be frozen.

“May we help you, gentlemen?”
“Are you Vincenzio Auciello?”

This can’t be good.

“Why do you ask?”

“So you are him. We have a warrant for your arrest as the suspect for the murder of Marco Castagno, along with two charges of arson.”

Alessandro stood up as well, looking fearfully at me.
I grabbed a hold of his hand, brushing my thumb against his knuckles.

“That’s an absurd accusation. I just arrived here with my boyfriend, about to go on vacation. I suppose you don’t have any witnesses or proof.”

“Actually…”

The second policeman pulled out a small plastic bag, containing an ash-covered memory card.

Alessandro squeezed my hand tightly.

“That’s mine…!”
Luckily his voice was quiet enough so that only I could hear.

“The proof is right on this memory card: a video of you in the action of the crimes mentioned. Mr. Castagno must have known you would do something along this line and set up a camera beforehand.”

Alessandro was shaking like a leaf. I still kept my façade.

I have to do something and I have to act fast.

In the distance, I heard the blaring horn of the train, along with the sound of the wheels screeching against the rails.
The train stopped, and people were starting to board.

“Mr. Auciello, you are under arrest and are guilty until proven innocent. You will go quietly, for resistance will only make things worse.”

I quickly grabbed Alessandro’s bag and dragged him to the front door of the train, shoving him and the bag inside and handing the ticket to the guard.

“Vincenzio! What are you doing?!”
“I’m sorry, Alessandro. Looks like you’ll have to wait for me.”

I took off my scarf and handed it to him before kissing him one last time.

“Take good care of it until I see you again okay? I love you.”

The door closed – Alessandro banged his fists against it, tears pouring down his cheeks.
Shortly after, the train had left the station, and the policemen caught up with me, guns in hand.

“Get on the ground!”

I turned towards them and smiled, feeling my body temperature increase quickly.

“Get on the ground or we’ll shoot!”
“I’m sorry, but prison isn’t in my plan anymore.”

And the flames begun.
♠ ♠ ♠
Welp. That happened. :P
Here you go, lovelies! One more chapter left!
Don'tFearTheReaper, polka dot perfection <3
'Til the last chapter!