Pyro

Red Scarf

Once again, the sky was grey.
Nothing different.

However, something did feel off.

Maybe I was still shaken up from yesterday.

I shook off the thought as I made my way towards the event from yesterday.

There was nothing left but the burnt remains of the building, ready to collapse at any minute.

I pulled out my camera and took off the lens cap before turning it on.

Ka-chik!

“That’s the second time you’ve came here.”

I turned to see a guy about six inches taller than me, black hair swooping over his eyes, hands stuffed into the pockets of his faded, burgundy striped hoodie, black skinny jeans that were ripped at the knees, and worn out Vans.

My eyes wandered to one distinct accessory: A red scarf, lazily wrapped around his neck.

Bright and different. Like the fire from yesterday.

“It’s rude to stare at someone and not say anything, even after he acknowledges you.”

I mumbled an apology before I turned back towards the burnt remains.

Ka-chik!

“Do you like it?”
“Hm?”
“You keep taking pictures of it.”

I turned the camera off and placed its lens cap back on.

“I just like taking pictures.”

I could feel him staring at me, as if he was waiting for me to continue.

“This town is always grey and boring, but every once in a while, something interesting happens. I take pictures to capture those moments.”

I turned towards him, startled to see that he was closer this time.

“To answer your question: I did like it when the bright orange flames engulfed the building. There was finally color. But now that the flames are gone, the remains are just as grey and dull as this town.”

I tensed up when he came even closer, leaving only an inch of space between us.
I felt myself shrink as he stood there, staring down at me with bright, hazel eyes without a word.

He moved away and gave me a bone-chilling smile before he walked off, eventually disappearing from my sight.

//πυρ//

Another iced coffee, more people conversing about the fire.
Among them happened to be the ex-owner of the burned building.

Ka-chik!

Luckily, they didn’t notice.

I took a sip from my drink and listened in on their conversation.

“Hey, electrical fires are common. Let’s not jump to conclusions.”
The cashier.

“That’s the second fire this month, Giov! I know this town is old, but this is just ridiculous!”
The ex-owner.

“It’s hard to believe that someone would do something like that…”
A woman in her twenties.

“But it is possible.”
A woman in her sixties.

“The police and firemen haven’t found anything suspicious.”
The young woman again.

“I’m still keeping my guard up.”
The ex-owner again.

I finished my coffee and took my leave.

On my way back to my apartment, however, I saw the guy from earlier, standing before the burned remains of the building.

First, he had that bone-chilling smile spread across his face.
But then it disappeared as he glared at the sight with disgust and disdain.

It’s almost as if he looked down upon the grey remains for contrasting with his red scarf.

Ka-chik!

“You lack a lot of manners.”

He turned his head towards me, the disdainful look no longer there.

“It’s rude to take pictures of people without their consent.”
I bit down on my lip as I turned off my camera, dropping my gaze to the ground.

“Then again, I’m a little rude myself because I haven’t introduced myself.”

He walked over to me and stood right in front of me.
Only this time, he hooked his finger under my chin, forcing me to look up at him.

“So, I’ll let you in on a little secret.”

He brought his lips to my ear.

“I hate this town, too.”

With those words, the last remains of the building collapsed to the ground.

He let go of me, walking away without another word with his scarf blowing in the wind, the red contrasting with the grey atmosphere.

Red.

My mind flashed back to yesterday and I froze with a sudden realization.

He was the one who followed me home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Got a little excited, so here's the second chapter, lovelies! <3
'Til the next chapter!