Status: In progress, starts off slow, but their adventures will soon enough become dangerous, fast paced and exotic!

Shifted

Chapter Twelve: Life in Longreach

Teolan looked at the sight ahead of them with relief and a sense of contentment. After five days in the Crags, with only one incident with a pride of feral yowlers to show for it, the western wall of Longreach was in sight. The city was more like a large town, inhabitated by only about six thousand people. It was walled all around, the walls about forty feet tall, made of worked stone. Frendar's people, a small community of them to the north of the city, had been involved in the construction of the walls and the two iron gates, one on the east wall and one on the west wall. The gates were about ten feet tall, and the mechanical mechanisms that ran them were run by one simple lever. The internal workings, however, were a complex set of pulleys and gears. Every thirty or so years, ten dwarf craftsmen would come down from the small mining clan, and perform maintenance on the gate assemblies for about two weeks. It was a standing agreement from when Longreach was first formed, the walls built almost two centuries ago. The north and south walls were about eleven hundred meters long, and the eastern and western walls were about thirteen hundred meters long.

It was a rather crowded little community, the roads tight, the buildings almost all interconnected. But it was homely, and although tough, the variety of inhabitants were hardy, kind, and generally honest folk. Despite the community's small size, there was generally a fair amount of crowded hustling and bustling along its streets, especially during the trading season, late spring to early autumn. During that time, the eleven or so inns were rarely with a vacancy, and most people always had family or old friends visiting for a time. The number of people in the town during the trading season could be closer to eight to ten thousand on any given day. Six thousand was just the rough number of permanent residents.

Leliana looked back at her mother, who was staring out back into the Balin Crags, as they slowly left the edge of them behind, running parrallel to the ever receding edge of the mountain range, crossing flatter land. To the west of them now, they could see the land getting flatter, where it eventually became flat plains, decent farmland. Further south, it slowly and eventually became marshy and swampy flatlands, although that was easily another two hundred kilometers of travel. The fertile plains just south of the city were the breadbasket of Raechin. Two hundred kilometers north to south at its widest point, and about the same east to west as well. It was tough farmland, especially on the edges, where the farms were prone to wild grazing, and predatation of livestock. Also, it wasn't uncommon for raiders and robbers to strike farmhouses on the outskirts either, especially in the winter, when wild pickings were scarce. Like the rest of Raechin, of Valerick in generally, it was a tough but hearty land, with a decent living available to be carved out by those tough enough to work it.

Liandry loved her home, and loved the edge of danger. The cleanliness of the existence. Knowing that at any moment you could be in a fight for your life. It could be a sickening thought to some, but Liandry found it exhilarating, because of the purity of it. She fought only to defend herself and her family, and only when their lives were on the line. The fact of Valerick, however, was that if you didn't have the ability to defend yourself in some way, unless you were rich, or lived in one of the bigger cities, you were probably going to die young. It was an environment that encouraged martial prowess, and discipline. The knife's edge, a warrior's favorite place to live. Most people in Valerick were here because they wanted to be. It was known that there were at least four other continents on Tariek, and although the journey by vessel could take up to a year or two, it could be done.

No, most people on Valerick were like Liandry and her family. They liked their lives here, and wouldn't change it for anything. "The risks and dangers might be many and dangerous," Liandry thought, as she glanced pointedly at her elbow, where the pale pink scar from the yowler's claws still itched. She smiled as she looked at her family, and especially her wonderful husband and beautiful daughter, finishing her train of thought. "But the rewards are well worth it." As they approached the gates, Liandry took off her helmet, and for the first time in almost two weeks, carefully pulled her long hair out from under her breastplate, taking it out of its ponytail. She shook it out, letting her guard drop a little bit, relaxing her instincts. It was good to be home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Leliana just managed to get her shield up fast enough, the steel head of Mercy clanging loudly off the shield's iron bosk. She swung her own mace hard and fast, trying to follow up quickly, to catch her mother off guard. But Liandry wasn't still here by being easy to hit. Her shield was in position quickly, and Leliana's mace bounced harmlessly off the shield. The two opponents fought hard, moving quickly, occasionally landing what should have been vicious blows on each other. But they were fighting without fear for they were both temporarily invulnerable, thanks to their good friend Nano the gnome illusionist. He'd cast two rather strong stone skin enchantments, one on each of them, and was now monitoring them whilst the pair fought.

Leliana had developed into a strong young elven woman. Now almost a third of the way through her fourth decade of life, she was just starting to mature physically, her body gaining the beginnings of a woman's curves, and some height. She looked much the same, although due to the added figure growth, and the heavy muscle building training, and was now probably close to a hundred and twenty pounds. She still had some growing out left to do, but was well on her way, with her breasts already about the size of large apples. Liandry was happy that her daughter didn't let slowly becoming a woman change her, however. She still trained hard, and still had the insatiable desire to be like her mom.

In truth, Leliana had grown to look a lot more like her mother, muscle and feminine traits alike. She was now about four foot nine inches, having hit a rather large growth spurt. She also dressed like her mom, right down to the armor now. With twenty years of training, and ten of training with real weapons and armor, she was by all rights a fighter. She'd also shown flashes of divine magical ability, and Liandry had begun her clerical apprenticeship, teaching her the prayers and the ways of nature. How to heal, how to ward off danger, disease and sickness, and how to fight with her divine magic. Five years into that training, and she still devoured it all like she had as a child since when she could read. She wanted to learn, to be like her mom. She loved the feeling of being connected to nature, to Talia, the goddess of the natural order.

Leliana's breastplate was obviously smaller fitted in the chest area for now, although not by much. She was nearly matured in that regard, and would probably be close to the same as her mother. In other regards as well, Liandry expected they would be similar. She was proving tough, with excellent stamina to go with her speed. Leliana wasn't yet as strong as Liandry herself was, but Liandry had full belief that Leliana would get there soon enough. Leliana didn't even have a fight under her belt yet though, and Liandry knew that would be her true test. The last two decades had been rather peaceful along the trade roads, and Leliana knew her role. The few problems they'd had that the family hadn't been able to run from, Leliana hadn't been needed. The other four veterans, Liandry, her husband Teolan, and their adopted brothers Nano and Frendar, had always dispatched the threats easily enough.

Liandry wasn't worried that her daughter would prove incapable in combat, its just she'd had no need. She was still a child by elven standards, and Leliana still willingly embraced that fact. Although she was now halfway to her eighth decade of life, which was about the time most elves fully embraced the responsibilities of adulthood. Soon enough she'd probably have to fight, there was no reason for her to until she had to.

That didn't mean Liandry babied her when it came to the training and sparring, however. It was evident from the layer of sweat on Leliana's face, under her helmet, that Liandry insured she was in for a workout every time. It was very much a student and teacher relationship on the training floor, although it transisted smoothly and easily back into a mother and daughter relationship everywhere else in the family's home.

Liandry and Leliana both kept their ears open for Nano's voice. The gnomish mage had aged quite well, and although he was now over fifty years old, he was still going strong, and still as sharp as ever. He watched the mother and daughter pair, with more then a passive interest. Liandry was teaching Leliana it was true, but lately Leliana kept catching her mother off guard with her own improvised attacks and tactics. Nano could tell it was testing Liandry every time. In Leliana you could see the makings a great methodical warrior, just like her mother. Leliana also showed the mental potential, and desire, to also seem she could follow the clerical path her mother had followed. She had a sharp curiousity, a strong mind, and was strong in her faith in the natural order, in Talia.

Nano turned as Sagerious landed on his left soldier. The owl was older now, and less hyper. He had aged gracefully, but aged he had. The bird was rather old for its kind, and both he and Nano knew his time would probably come soon. Last winter, he'd suffered a really infection in his chest, and the poor owl hadn't been the same. It had survived, but the infection had taken its toll. But the bird didn't want to slow down. He kept travelling with the group, because like all of them, the owl called this his family. The bird hooted and chirped softly, asking Nano who was winning. The gnome smiled and shook his head. It was still to close to call, the pair were step in step.

He looked at his hands. Both their stoneskins were only at about a quarter strength. He started watching more intently, getting ready to call it off, because it wouldn't take much more to hammer through one of the stoneskins completely. After that, if that person took a hit, the consequences could be severe. The pair weren't holding back, so the hits wouldn't even be pulled. He watched intently, keeping his eyes on both the green balls of light in his hands, the size of which told him how strong the enchantments were, and on the fight in front of him.

Leliana stepped back, seemingly pushed back by Liandry's harder hitting presence. Liandry stepped in to press her advantage, but as she did her reactions were put to the test. Leliana quickly spun on her left heel, and as her body turned sidelong, Liandry's swing, which had been a vertical drop, found naught but air. As Leliana came around, her shield arm flew out, as she straightened her elbow. Leliana's back was now to her mother, but her shield hammered directly into Liandry's face....or would have. Liandry was caught almost completely unawares by the move, but managed to react to her own vulnerability on instinct. She got her own shield up, and there was a dull thud as both shields smashed into each other. Leliana quickly stepped away from Liandry, and pivoted to be facing her again. She smiled at the look of approval on her mother's face.

Liandry had to admit she'd admired the guts behind the move. And in truth, had she been any slower, it would have worked. She'd nodded her approval at Leliana, who smiled a little bit. Liandry smiled too, and then stepped in. The two continued their dance, maces pounding off shields and stoneskin enchantments alike. It went on for another two or three minutes, and then they both heard Nano's voice. "Alright, stop! Both your stoneskins are down!"

Liandry stepped back, and smiled at her daughter, as they both removed their helmets, and pulled their tied back hair out from under their breastplates, letting it out of the ponytail. Liandry nodded her approval, as she spoke. "You're getting a lot stronger, Leliana, and quicker and smarter as well. That spin move with the shield would have had me, but thankfully I guessed what you were trying to do. You didn't advertise it at all or anything, I just guessed, and thankfully was right. Good thing, cause if you had of made contact how you were trying to, I would have been basically at your mercy."

Leliana blushed. "Thanks mom, I've been practising my balance for weeks to try that." It was true, for the last two or three months whenever she'd had the chance, she'd been practising and training her balance, doing everything from walking across narrow ledges and railings, to simple balancing exercises on one foot every morning and night in her room. All of these exercises were not just in aid of that one move, but also to try and improve her overall fitness.

Liandry nodded and moved to the railing by Nano, where two towels were hanging. She tossed one to Leliana, and used the other to wipe off her face. Leliana caught the towel and did the same, also wiping her hair as well. They moved across the training room floor, to the small cabinet on the far side, as Nano nodded and moved out the door that led to the rest of the house. Leliana and Liandry both placed their weapons and shields in the cabinet, and Liandry closed it and locked it with the key she wore around her neck. Leliana moved off, and undid the side clasps on her breastplate, taking it off. Underneath she'd been wearing a faded blue cloth tunic. She was also wearing light brown pair of studded leather greaves, and iron plated boots and gauntlets much like her mother's. She looked at her mom with inquisitive eyes, obviously wondering if the day was over.

Liandry smiled. "Leliana, that's all we're going to do today. Your father and I have to finalize the inventory for the run, and complete a few small pieces of paperwork. We've only got the rest of today and all of tomorrow to get everything ready, if we're going to leave the morning of the solstice, like we planned." It was the last run of the summer, a rather small routine run out to Joakim's sanctuary with some supplies and goods. Not really a profit trip, more a donation a token of Teolan's appreciation every year, in thanks for Joakim's hospitality whenever he was travelling by. It was also a bit of homage towards Talia, thanking her for allowing Teolan another successful trading season.

Leliana looked at her mother, and nodded. She moved off excitedly back throught he door that lead to the rest of the house. It was a rather decent sized home, two floors and the basement. The house was her family's, although legally the owner of the property was Frendar. The basement was nothing but storage and his safe room, which contained a fortune in gold easily in the range of thirty thousand gold pieces. The room was locked, magically and physically, and also booby-trapped rather heavily. Frendar, like most dwarves, didn't take lightly to the idea of someone trying to pinch any of his hard earned coin. He did however put it to good use, never begrudging any in need who came to him for financial aid. It was the principle of the thing that really bothered him. If someone came and asked him for a few hundred gold pieces, because they were desperate for money, he wouldn't think twice. But the key was the respect given, the fact that they'd asked, not just tried to take.

The other rooms were simply storage for his own little collection of odds and ends, nothing really valuable. Just interesting looking knicknacks from his adventures. From strange and old books and pictures, to things as simple as odd looking rocks. He even had an entire room devoted to pieces of steel that had managed to hurt him. Arrow points, spear tips, mace heads, all manner of broken off pieces and edges from various blades. Leliana loved the collection, because whenever he went down there, she could go down there and just spend hours listening to tales of grand adventure. The dwarf could remember every quest, every battle, and every adventure he'd been on. He'd even kept journals, and those were another seperate room. Leliana loved to spend time down there reading them. She dreamed of one day having her own collection of tales and experiences like Frendar did.

The first floor was rather spacious. The training room she'd just left was fifty feet by forty feet. It had archery targets on the walls, and a cupboard where the five friends stored their weapons, along with stands where their armor generally hung. Leliana liked to keep her gauntlets, boots and greaves on, even in town, but always would leave the breastplate and helmet. She had learned from her mother, and carried a knife in her left boot. Only about five inches of blade, it wasn't the best weapon, but was better then nothing. Straight edged, both sides sharpened, the hilt was about three inches in length, made of steel wrapped with leather.

From the training room, you came out and entered a hallway that was about eighty feet long. In the middle, there was a twenty foot wide entry hall that started on her right side. It led to the back half of the first floor, which was a decent sized kitchen and pantry, and the other half a large dining and living room, complete with a small bar, a few comfortable chairs, and a fine fireplace. The kitchen came with its own big cooking fireplace, about ten feet across. The other rooms were mostly guest rooms. There were four of them, each unoccupied most of the time. Occasionally Teolan, Nano, or Frendar would entertain guests overnight. But mostly they were unused.

Attached to the far side of the hallway, through a wooden barn style door, was Erika's stable. The horse was twenty-seven now, and although older, and suffering some from arthritis, she was amazingly still strong and able bodied. Not quite as fast now, this would be her last run, then over the winter Teolan would retire her, letting her live out in peace with the family. He already had a new younger horse, a geldling who was now about five years old named Flame, for the odd flamed shaped white birthmark on his face, between his eyes. Other then that he was a dark chestnut color. They'd gotten him as a foal, three summers ago, and he'd fit right in. His youthful energy had seemed to do Erika good, and the old girl was much happier now. The pair had become good friends, and starting next spring, Flame would be taking over solo pulling their wagon. He'd already been with them on a few excursions this season, he and Erika alternating days hooked to the wagon, so he could get used to the weight. Depending on the day, the other horse was generally ridden by Leliana or Liandry when on the road.

She turned into the entry hall, admiring the simple design of it all. The walls weren't even painted, the wood left its natural color. There were four coat and cloak stands made of maple wood, with iron feet, by the front door. The door itself was made of stone, some clever craftsmenship on the part of Teolan and Frendar together. Frendar had worked and shaped the stone, even carving some designs and shapes into it. Teolan had worked on the hinges and supports, making them just right to insure that the weight of the door wouldn't warp or snap the wooden beams and pieces that made up the wall. It had been a tough project, but they'd managed to make it work after almost three months of trying, almost six winters ago.

She turned to right, moving into the large entrance way, and onto the set of stairs. There were almost thirty of them, which lead up to the hallway of the smaller second floor. Only about half the size of the floor below it, it was simply the bedrooms, and the bathroom. Magic being magic, most larger towns in Valerick had something similar to plumbing. A shower, something of a toilet, and a small sink made up the room. All three worked on drawing clean water from the plane of Uisce. The dirty water would flow down the metal pipes, pushed by powerful magic, into sewers below the town, that flowed out into a magical resevoir just to the north of the city, where the contents of the water were broken down and returned to the basic energies from whence they came. Powerful magic had established the system, and its upkeep was tough. Longreach actually had its own small group of mages, paid by the taxes, to keep and maintain the magical enchantments that made the system work.

She moved off into her bedroom, which was on the far right end of the hall, and closed the door most of the way. Her room was rather plain, but she loved it. A simple bed with deep red sheets, and a dark blue pillow. Above the bed, on the wall, was a massive and intricate painting of the tree of life and death, Talia's symbol. She wore a small amulet around her neck that looked like a downsized version of the painting. To the left of her bed, by her small closet and the window window, was a small altar. It was rather simple in design, a small stone pedestal, with various small twigs and pinecones and other such items. Old feathers she'd found, long discarded by the birds that had worn them, and even a dried out snake slough, from where the snake had shed its skin to grow bigger.

Against the wall across from her bed was a small oval mirror, and a small chair she liked sitting on, whilst she played her flute. Leliana and her father had made it. It was a simple thing, made of white pine. The back of it was well designed, shaped to the arch of Leliana's back. She loved it, and it was quite comfortable. She opened her closet, and took out her pale green cloak. It was made of a material almost like silk, and was her summer travelling cloak. She swung it around her back, and did up the small silver clasp, keeping the hood down. She pulled her hair out form underneath and shook it out. It was almost lunch time, and she wanted to spend the rest of the day out. There was a small tavern about six buildings down the roadway that she knew well. The owner liked her, and didn't mind her playing her flute. Some patrons sometimes tried to pay her. She would graciously accept, but generally wouldn't take much of it, giving most to the barkeep or serving girls as a tip. She had money, and was learning skills that could become a trade from her mother. The art of medicine, both herbal, and magical. She could already heal small hurts, like nicks, and small bruises, with her magic. Herbal medicine, however, she was already quite good at, having learned how to treat cuts, and many common and infections and sicknesses already.

Of course, Liandry was constantly testing her whenever they travelled. Leliana would gather the herbs, but only if she was able to answer Liandry's questions about it, such as what it was, what it was used to treat, and how to tell if it was ready to harvest. On her belt, Leliana had a rather large healer's pouch. It didn't hang down, because it was more long, almost a third of the belt. It had small sections, and in it were many of the basics. Needles and thread for stitching cuts, many basic herbs, vials of water, a few small rolls of cloth bandages, and some vials of herbal extracts. In the folds of her cloak she kept a small pot, about five inches in diameter, for boiling components if necessary. She treated it like a service, but again never asked for payment. She would accept whatever the person saw fit to give her, whether it was a simple thank-you, or a bunch of gold pieces. Generally a few silver pieces, or maybe a gold piece, were her reward.

She didnt mind, in truth she'd do it all for free. She enjoyed the idea, the thought that Talia had blessed her with this quick mind and memory for more then just learning to fight, to defend herself. She liked the idea that her goddess' plan included her being a healer, someone who helped those who needed it. In Longreach, she already had a reputation of being willing to help anyone in need. It was common knowledge that everyday for most of the afternoon and into the evening she could be found at Bivrik's tavern, the Horned Stag.

She checked her belt and her cloak, insuring she had her small coin purse, along with her flute and little pot, along with her herbalist pouch. She smiled and moved out of the room, and down the stairs quickly. She opened the door and stepped outside, making down onto the side of the narrow dirt roadway. She turned right, walking smoothly, smiling and tipping her head in greeting to all those who passed her. She passed four other dwellings and came to the corner of their street, which was at the edge of Longreach's main market district. A large square, with mazes of stalls, wagons, and on the outer edges, buildings. Taverns, about five of the town's ten inns, and a few large shops, including an armory and blacksmith, an alchemical shop, and a food market, among others. It was midday, and bustling with activity, easily two to three thousand people of various races. Human, orc, elf, dwarf, gnome, halflings, and many more bustled around, some there for business, some for a pleasant afternoon of window shopping and social activity.

The smells assaulted Leliana's nose in a wonderful rush. Fresh baked bread, fruits and vegetables, roasting meats, fresh fish. The aromas intertwined and were an aroma that would ignite an appetite in anyone. She would probably yet spend some time moving around the market square, looking and enjoying the sights, sounds and smells. She may even make a purchase or two, she wasn't yet sure. But it was noon, and she'd not eaten since breakfast, almost five hours ago, so she first wanted to go and eat. She looked up, and nodded as she saw the sign she was looking for. It was a simple sign, wooden sign, shaped like a deer head, hanging off a horizontal pole. It was fixed to the pole by two sets of steel 'antlers'. Hence the name of the tavern, which was painted on the sign in a bright orange. 'The Horned Stag, home of Bivrik's finest brew!'

She opened the dark wood and glass door and entered the smoky tavern. It wasn't large by any stretch. The bar could seat about twenty customers, and then there were six tables solid oak and iron tables. Two of them had five seats, one with four, and the rest only had three seats. There was a small stage in the left back corner, and beside, on the left wall, was the hearth and fireplace. A small blaze, was going, more for added light then any sort of warmth, since the flickering candles on the walls and tables didn't quite do the trick. Leliana looked around the tavern. It wasn't that full, with only five customers right now. There were a trio of rowdy orcs drinking at the bar, shouting and laughing in their native tongue. A goblin and young man were sitting at one of the small tables, partaking in a lunch, chatting about something. Other then that, the two serving girls, and Bivrik working behind the bar, she was the only one in the place. Although she knew that within the hour the place would be much fuller. It was early still, generally the place didn't start to fill up until an hour or so after midday. She assumed that there was also a cook or two in the kitchen at the moment.

Bivrik looked up from the glass he was wiping, as the small brass bell rang when the door opened. The young halfling grinned from ear to ear when he saw Leliana. "Hey there beautiful!" he said, winking. Bivrik was only about twenty three, but a great ale maker. He had short black hair, and a nice black goatee. For a halfling, he was well built and tough, and rather tall. He was about three foot seven, and his muscular arms and chest told the story. He was probably close to a hundred and thirty pounds, and his scarred knuckles showed he wasn't afraid to deal with drunken fools if they got out of hand.

The halfling was wearing a dusty brown apron, with a pale cream colored shirt, the sleeves rolled back to his elbows. As he came out from behind the bar to give greet his good friend, Leliana saw he'd topped the look off with a pair of black slacks on this particular afternoon. Bivrik shook her hand, as he called out. "Kyla, come and help Leliana would you my dear. Get her seated, the small table beside the stage please. I'll be coming to keep her company when Eric gets here. Until then, get her seated, and help her would you?" Bivrik looked back at Leliana. "So I'll join you presently, as soon as Eric gets here. He shouldn't be any longer then a half an hour or so."

Eric was an older man who was the barkeep Bivrik had hired on to work midday until late afternoon, just before dinner. It gave him a four to five hour break to get a bite to eat, and take care of inventory, and stock the bar again for the night-time rush. The kitchen generally closed an hour or so after night fall, although the bar was generally open until last call at about midnight. Leliana didn't really know him well, and didn't even really remember him. She nodded her thanks to Bivrik as he went back to the bar. One of the orcs was shouting for another drink, cursing. Bivrik yelled out at them. "I'm coming you lot, so stop yer bitchin'!"

Leliana smiled at Bivrik's demeanor, as he went back behind the bar, and pulled out three large mugs of orcish swill, sliding them to the orcs. The young woman Kyla came up to Leliana, as Leliana undid the clasp on her cloak and sat tossed it on the back of the chair. Leliana sat down, smiling at the young serving girl. She only looked to be maybe seventeen. She was very pretty, with bright blue eyes, and a soft face. She had gorgeous light brown hair, long and full. She was wearing a light purple dress, which was rather flattering on her. Leliana nodded to the girl, as she spoke. "So, Leliana, what can I get you to start?"

Leliana thought for a moment, and then answered. "I think a nice bowl of the icehorn trout stew along with a half loaf of the herb and garlic bread. To drink, just a nice big glass chilled peach juice please."

Kyla nodded and replied quickly. "I'll bring you your drink and food in a few minutes." She moved off, and passed behind the bar, and through the double door that lead to the kitchen at the back of the tavern. Leliana took out her flute, and started playing a little tune. It wasn't even an actual song, she just started playing random notes in patterns that amused her as she waited patiently for her food and drink, watching Brivik as he moved around, preparing the bar, and serving the trio of orcs.

After a few minutes, Kyla came back out, tray in hand. She set it down in front of Leliana, who sighed as the pleasant aromas engulfed her. The creamy stew was a recipe of Birvik's. Finely sliced and diced icehead trout fillets, with leeks, green and red onion, and diced carrots, all in a thick creamy mushroom broth. The bread was soft and fluffy half loaf, with a crisp brown crust. It was already sliced for her, and it was warm, obviously freshly made. The bread was dotted with little pieces of garlic and various herbs, giving it a strong, but delicious flavour. The glass of peach juice was about twelve ounces, and the glass was frosted and freezing cold to the touch. Leliana nodded her thanks to Kyla, and picked up a piece of the bread, dunking it into the stew. She tore off the bite of the bread, enjoying the warm hearty flavor stew in combination with the soft, warm, fresh bread.

She finished the first piece of bread, and took a small drink of the ice cold peach juice. The ice cold drink was a delightfully soft and light flavour, and complimented the stronger flavors of the bread and stew quite well. She watched around the tavern whilst she ate, as it slowly filled up. Soon enough there were easily forty or fifty patrons, of various races, all eating and drinking. Bivrik came out from behind the bar, as Eric showed up, and took up his place behind the bar. Bivrik smiled at Leliana, who was just finishing off the last of her stew. In his hand he held a tray with a steaming cup of tea, along with a big sandwich, with many various toppings. The halfling put the tray down, to the side of where he'd be sitting, and pulled out from the pocket of his apron a piece of parchment and a quill and small bottle of ink. Leliana knew without asking it what it was as he started filling it in. It was his income management sheet for today. Sales, goods used, goods lost or wasted, and then figuring out profit and taxes. She'd once asked him if he made as much as others would think. He'd smiled and shook his head. "Not a chance lassie. Close, for the tax ain't that high. But its still a tax, and I still have to pay it."

Bivrik took a careful bite of his sandwich, and set to work, making conversation. "So how's your mother and father doing? Your dad's business still holding up?"

Leliana nodded, smiling. "Yes, my mother is excellent, been teaching me well, I'm getting far more comfortable with the mace and shield. My father's been doing well, this season's been a particularly profitable one for him."

Bivrik nodded. "That's good, I remember last year was a tough year for him. How's Frendar and that old fool gnome Nano been doing?"

Leliana chuckled, and replied, "Frendar is as you would expect, same old dwarf, with a few more small bumps and bruises. He's like a rolling stone, just keeps going and going. Nano's aged quite impressively, still quite the spellcaster. He refuses to let age slow him down."

Bivrik chuckled. "Just like that fool gnome. He had any more run ins with Cyrus' Mage-Hunters?" he asked in all seriousness.

Leliana shook her head. "After the last time, when he dazzled and confused them so bad that they ended up attacking each other. I think they learned there lesson about trying to come after him" She laughed, for that incident, almost four years ago, still made her laugh. The three heavily armored men had broken into their house for Nano in the middle of the night. Liandry and Frendar had been about to tear them apart, the dwarf particularly pissed off at being woken up. But Nano called off his friends, and went to work. As the self proclaimed 'templars' went to work, trying to take Nano, he soon enough had them completely confused via illusionary magic. They all ended up outside the house, and attacking each other quite viciously. Nano had then opened a dimension door, and tricked them all into stumbling into it. Where they'd ended up Nano had been unwilling to say, but he promised his friends that once they woke up, they would be just fine. Rather lost and confused, but just fine.

Bivrik nodded, and took another careful bite of his sandwich, and sip of his tea. Leliana turned her attention to the tavern, as people started greeting her, and some started coming to her for herbs, advice, or for small talk. Bivrik watched for a brief moment or two. In truth, even if all the people who came in to see Leliana play, or get medical advice or help from her never bought anything, he'd still let her do this here. It did his heart good to be involved in such goodwill deeds. Of course, he couldn't deny that the fact she also reeled in business was also nice. He smiled, and shook his head, getting back to his paperwork, as Leliana started to play her flute.