Until Next Time

This is my last breath.

Hesitating for only a split second, Bay ran towards the house. Most of the people on her street had come out to see what was going on so she recieved some weird looks when she ran past their doors. When she reached her front door everything had gone quiet, too quiet.

Swinging the door open, Bay took a deep breath and stepped inside only to be greeted by the smell of stale alcohol and tobacco. Bay trod carefully over the old, worn floor boards and towards the living room. The air was still filled with a thick silence as she opened the door to the living room and took a cautious step forward. The door creaked back on its hinges making, an already on edge, Bay jump slightly at the sound. Bay surrvayed the room; Nothing untoward: Empty bottles and cans, a couple of bags of cocaine and a couple of pizza boxes. Her mother had obviously had a busy day. Bay sighed at the thought of coming home to a normal family; No drunken Mother, a sister, a Father, all the things most teenagers already have. She was, once again, ripped from her thoughts by a loud noise but this time it was a desperate gasp for breath. Bay looked around the room frantically, trying to find the source of the sound when her eyes settled on something she never thought she would have to see. A body. But not just any body, her mother's body.

"Mum!" She gasped and fell by her Mothers side. "Mum! Mum! Can you hear me!?" Bay asked. She checked her pulse and applied pressure to the bleeding wound in her Mother's chest. There came no reply to Bay's question as her mother inhaled her last breath. Tears fell from Bay's eyes and she held her Mother's paling hand in her own. "Please Mum...Please!" She sobbed into her hands. Bay was no stranger to the violence that came with her Mother's dangerous habbit; the drug trading world is a very nasty place but not once did she ever think it would have this big of an impact on her life. She knew it would be the death of her Mum but not like this. Bay sat by her Mother's body and cried until the tears had run dry and she felt numb. After calling 911 she sat and stared at the white wash wall in her bedroom. Although her Mother was the cause of Bay's pain and insecurity, she couldn't help but feel the grief that loosing a family member brings with it.
"Miss?" A voice came from the doorway. Bay didn't speak, just turned to face the Paramedic.
"Miss I'm afraid we can't allow you to stay here, It's a crime scene now. Do you have alternate accomadation?" He asked. Bay nodded.
"You have until lunch time tomorrow to remove your belongings." He nodded and left. Bay wasted no time in picking up her phone and texting Beau to let him know what happened. As Bay expected, he told her she could stay with him until everything was sorted out.

*Bay's POV*

Never have I been more thankful about having someone like Beau in my life! He's my only real friend. After the Paramedic left my room i grabbed my phone and texted Beau, telling him the basics of what had happened and asking if i could crash at his place until i could find a place of my own. He said that was fine so i grabbed enough clothes for about a week, my notebook, my IPod and my phone before i walked down the stairs.

I passed the living room to see my Mother in a body bag. I was sad about Mum's death, sure but how much could you miss someone who had been the reason you've thought about suicide? I would never have wished death on her but I can't say i didn't see it coming. She hasn't been paying her dealer the correct amounts lately so something like this was enevitable. I walked out the door, only stopping to speak to a Police Officer on my way from the house. I looked up at the sky as i walked along the road towards Beau's house, thinking about what had happened. It had to have been the dealer. He was the only person who would have a reason the kill Mum. I can't help but feel bad about not missing her or feeling much grief. She was my Mother and here i am not letting it bother me much. I sighed slightly as i walked up Beau's garden path and knocked on the front door. It soon opened to reveal a shirtless Beau. Without speaking, he pulled me into a brotherly hug and rubbed my back.
"Are you ok?" He asked. I could tell he was a little happy about what had happened. He was always the one telling me i should run away and live with him or tell the police but i always told him i couldn't do that because she was family.
"Yeah I'm fine..." I sighed and slipped my shoes off. Beau took the bags out of my hand and set it by the stairs. "Am I in the spare room?" I asked. He smiled and nodded, leading me up the stairs and to the room i would be staying in for a while.

"Do you want to go back tomorrow or did you pick up everything you need?" Beau asked as he set a plate of food down in front of me on the table. I picked up the fork and shoveled the food into my mouth. I hadn't realised how hungry i was.
"Uh no i think I've got everything." I said through a mouthful of pasta. I'm not very lady like. Deal with it! Beau nodded and pulled up the chair opposite me.
"I'm glad she's gone Beau" I smiled, a small amount of guilt finding it's way into my voice.
"Me too Bay... Me too" He smiled back.