Bulletproof Love

Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen: (I WENT TO THE WORLD TOUR ON 11-15-14!!!!)

Today is the day. Today I am 23. And Vic still won't tell me what my surprise is. Even my kids already know. That jerk. Well, he really wasn't. He had woken me up in such a nice way this morning.

I was still sleeping when I hear someone whispering in my ear, "Honey, sweetie, it's time to get up." I had stirred and groaned, but sat up and stretched only to be attacked by my kids. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOM!" I groaned a bit and laughed with them. "Thank you, boys." They climb off me and go stand beside Vic who I see had a bunch of balloons in one hand and a breakfast tray in the other.

He walks up to me and places the tray on my lap, setting the balloons at the side of the bed. They all said Happy Birthday in Spanish. "You didn't have to do this," I tell him as he sits on the bed.

"I know," he responds, grabbing my hand and placing a kiss on it. "But I wanted to, and you deserve it." He leans in and places a kiss on my forehead. Then he stands and walks to Cope who was standing up in her crib trying to get to us. She squeals when he picks her up.

"Come on, baby. Tell Mommy happy birthday," he coos at her in a baby voice, but she just giggled. "Thank you, Cope," I tell her, pretending as though she had told me.

"Mom, Dad, can we go play with Uncle Mike and Tony?"

"Yeah, go ahead, boys." They run off, off to find their stupid uncle. I turn to Vic. "Who made the food?"

"I cooked it, but the boys are the ones that poured you the juice and placed the spoon and fork on the tray. They wanted to help, so that's what I made them do," he says, sheepishly. I laugh silently and grab the fork, but not before drinking some of the juice. I cut a piece of the egg off and bite into it.

When I finish, Vic picks up the tray and places it on the desk he has in the room before setting Cope down in her play pen and walking back to me. I was getting out of bed when he picks me up and kisses me. Then he moves my body so that my legs are wrapped around his waist ans my arms at his neck. His hands sneak under my shirt and my breath hitches. He takes of it and moves his tongue into my parted lips.

"Happy Birthday," he breathes into my mouth before pulling back. "Now, go get dressed. I will be taking you to your surprise now." He sets me down and I walk to the drawers before pulling out some shorts and a shirt. I turn to face him and see his back was to me. I change quickly, "Okay, Vic. I'm done."

He turns to face me, but I grab Cope when he takes my hand and leads me down the stairs. "Wait- Vic, Cope's bag - "

"Is already at the surprise. Alan has it." I nod. And that's where we are now. He had taken Cope from me and put a blindfold over my eyes. Now I was nervous. I hear a door opening and closing and Vic finally removes the blindfold. I squint my eyes at how dark it was until the lights blast on and everyone is screaming, "SURPRISE!" I jump back in shock before bursting out laughing.

Looking around, I see a stage. It was medium sized, but big enough to fit a few dozen people. Then there was a table full of presents that reached the roof. There was another table full of food. The whole thing was decorated in balloons and string, and a happy birthday sign. It looked great.

"Thank you, guys."

Vic takes my hand and begins leading me deeper into the pit of people. I run up to Jesse and launch myself at him. "I can't you all helped Vic do this."

"Of course."

"And the stage?"

"That was Vic's idea, and then you said you wanted to preform, so it worked out perfectly. Plus, Vic is suppose to annoucne to everyone that if they want to preform, they can." He gives Vic a pointed look, and then Vic realizes what he meant. He runs onto the stage and turns on the microphone.

"Everyone," his voice rings through. "I forgot to mention, but if you want to preform, you can. There are instruments up here, the microphone. Go for it. The Birthday Boy will also be preforming something for us." Everyone cheers, and I blush.

Then I see Austin and couple others go up, but not Alan. Hmmm. "Hey, guys. As most of you know, this Tino," he points to the guy at the drums. "Phil," he points to a guy with a guitar. "Shay," he points to the guy with a bass and who was at the microphone. "And Aaron," he points to the last guy with another guitar.

"They're about to help me preform a song for someone special," and he locks eyes with someone in the crowd. I turn to look who it is - Alan. Shay begins singing just as they all begin playing.

"Friend of mine,
I've tried,
A revolution.
Everyone screaming,
'It's not fair!'"

And Austin joins in screaming and Holy shit, it was amazing.

"'It's not fair!
(It's not fair!)
It's not fair.'"

Then they go into a guitar solo and it was just incredible. The whole band was alive up and dancing, and moving. I was in awe.

"I'll play the Romeo,
You play the Juliet.
The sun won't set,
Until you appear.
'Cause I know you are the one,
My love,
My love.

What light through this window breaks?
So bright, so bright.
My life just for one more day.
So bright, you're so bright."

Jesus Christ, Austin was great. And Shay had a beautiful voice.

Fall fast (Fall Fast), the course of love never did run smooth.
(Ah, ah, ah, ah, ah)
I'll try,
I'll try to sleep on my own tonight.
(Ah, ah, ah, ah, ah)
We will meet in the moonlight.
Meet in the moonlight.
Oh!
We will meet in the moonlight.
Meet in the moon - LIGHT!

This is not pretend.
Don't play the end.
I know you're real,
Not just a book I read.
Soon,
I will show you how heart can never fail,
Never change.
(I'll never change 3x)

If music be the food of love,
Play on,
Play on.
If music be the food of love,
Play on.
Play on."

Austin's screams were incredible. He could hold them for a long time without his voice cracking. And the ending was amazing. The guitar solo was great. The crowd went wild, people were roaring, jumping up and down. They sure knew how to riot a crowd. But they were great. The lyrics were great.

I see Alan run up to the stange and jump into Austin's arms, kissing him full on the mouth. They pull back and Austin moves to the mic. "That song was called This One's For You. How about another?" We all cheer. They chuckle. They begin discussing until they hand Alan a guitar.

"Alright. This song is called Ben Threw. We might have played it before, but this one's called Ben Threw." They begin playing. And Alan and Phil were just rocking out.

"Loose lips sink ships,
So I'll keep silent.
Suggest your words stay in your mouth.
It's never ending,
The cycles ascending,
People keep asking,
I'm not here.

I don't really think that you've ever walked
A mile in my shoes.
I don't really think that you know what
I've been through.
What I've been through.

All your life,
I wish you would have learned to swallow your pride.

And stop preaching,
I know what you're thinking,
You're so far above me,
In your mind.

All the power and glory forever,
We share this together,
I will never,
I will remember what I've become."

Austin was amazing on this. Especially on the last line.

"I'm finding out,
The only thing left to lose is time.
With all these doubts,
The worst parts behind me."

Shayley begins singing and Aaron joins in. They sounded beautiful together.

"Don't forgive me, please,
I don't want this.

Only when I'm back at home, I will,
Only when I'm back at home, I will,
Don't forgive me, I'll forget you,
Write this on the wall.

You don't know what I've been through,
I've been through,
I've been through,
I've been through."

The crowd went wild and looking at Cope in Vic's arms, she seemed to be enjoying it. I walk to Jesse. "I think I want to go on next."

"Sure, I'll the others, what songs?" And I whisper it in his ear.

"Yeah, alright. I'll teach it to them while Austin does his last song." I nod. I see Jesse walk up the stage and whisper something in Austin's ear who nods. Then Jesse walks back down to me. "Done. I'll go teach the guys the songs." I nod, smiling.

"I've just been informed we have to preform one more song, then it's a certain someone's turn." The crowd cheers. They again discuss something until they all go back to their instruments. And they begin.

"We'll bring you to your knees,
You can not see something you can not please.
We'll bring you to your knees,
You can not see something you can not please.

I met a girl with predictable ways.
Open doors, yeah she's here to stay.
Come clean, just open your mind.
Shut those legs, girl, it's closing time.

Oh faithful, I'm amazed to find you look that way.
Oh faithful, put away the pills,
Come waste away with me."

Shay begins singing and I swear he is a much better singer than I am. His voice is just so undescribable.

"You see these hospital walls are full
From the bodies of all the dead.
It's spreading around the room,
Just like it wants to be fed.

Bloody hands stop beating hearts.
Bloody hands stop beating hearts.

Oh!

Bloody hands!

We'll bring you to your knees,
How can you be something you can not see?
We'll bring you to your knees,
How can you see something you can not please?

Black,
Block out the sun,
Blot out your eyes,
Pray for the ones you love.
The sun,
Runs from the sky,
Beg for your life,
Pray for the ones you love.

Block out the sun,
We'll block out your eyes,
Pray for daylight.
Your time has come,
This is the get off,
I can't give up now.

Oh faithful, I'm amazed to find you look that way.
Oh faithful, put away the pills,
Come waste away with me.
Oh faithful, I'm amazed to find you look that way.
Oh faithful, put away the pills,
Come waste away with me.

Come waste away with me!
It's all in your head."

The screaming took a different turn and it just - they blew me away. They knew real music.

"It's all in your head.
If you see it.
Just close those blue eyes,
Like you mean it."

I clap along with the audience as they all take a bow. "Okay, it's the birthday boy's turn. Come on up, Kellin!" I blush, but make my way along with Jesse, Justin, Jack, and Gabe. We form small huddle. "Everyone knows what they're doing?" They all nod.

"Jesse, you remember your lines, right?"

"Yep."

"Okay, then. Let's do this."

We all go to our designated areas and I stare out into the crowd. I see Vic with Cope and then I see the boys playing with Mike and Tony. I see Austin and Alan with their friends. I see Jaime looking up at Jesse. Oh, my Gosh! Jesse is going to ask out Jaime today! I smile and they begin to play just as Jesse begins to scream.

"You!
You!
Tell me how,
Has it taken so long for me to open up my eyes?
I see through you now,
I won't fall for,
The things you've said before.

How has it taken so long for me to finally realize,
I'm on my team,
I won't run away,
Back-back to-to believe.

And when they all turn against you,
You better be prepared to fight.

They say I'm a sinner,
But nobody knows.
You only do what you're told.
You better hope that you're right.
They say I'm a sinner,
I'm not the only one.
You want to point your finger,
You better make a choice tonight.
'Cause I'll stand up,
For what is right.

How,
Has such a bitter person become the man I am?
You're tearing my heart out!
Don't leave me to die!
Tell me how,
How am I to change to when I'm still trying to figure out how (how to save a life) how to be saved?
(Save me, so save me)

And when they all turn against you,
Try not to look the other way.

They say I'm a sinner,
But nobody knows.
You only do what you're told.
You better hope that you're right.
They say I'm a sinner,
I'm not the only one.
You want to point your finger,
You better make a choice tonight.
'Cause I'll stand up,
For what is right.

You,
You better choose your side,
Make your choice tonight.
You,
You better draw the line right now,
Between wrong and right.
I am a sinner,
I'll never be a martyr.
You stand up for what's right.

They say I'm a sinner,
But nobody knows.
You only do what you're told.
You better hope that you're right.
They say I'm a sinner,
I'm not the only one.
You want to point your finger,
You better make a choice tonight.
'Cause I'll stand up,
For what is right.

All my life,
I've been the person I am.
Who are you to try and judge?"

I hear the crowd cheering, but when I look out, all I see is Vic and my children. And they were smiling up at me. That was all I needed.

"How would you guys feel about another?" They cheer. I look to Jesse and he nods. "Okay, this one's for my sons." I smile at them. Then Sleeping with Sirens begins to play.

"Yeeee-aaah.
Oh, oh, oh, oh.

I know that hope weighs on your mind.
Lost within the seems.
It seems like we lose ourselves inbetween.
Oh, oh, oh, oh.
But the harder things become,
The harder you push away.
Oh and, baby, yeah, baby.
It kills me!

You said it,
You said it.
I'll take you at your word.
Promises that you can't keep,
It's getting harder to hold on.
You said it,
You said it,
Don't ever let me fall.
Don't give up because you're losing.

You haven't lost.

In time we'll find that we can sober up.
Clean up any dirt so we can open up.
These wounds have been open for forever now.
Come on, (Come on!)
Be strong. (Be strong!)
Your mind has gotten the best of you,
You've done enough.
And you are enough.
Let's fall asleep tonight,
I'll hold you close and show you you're not broken! (Broken!)."

I look out to my boys, and sing them that line only to find them crying and smiling up at me.

"You said it,
You said it.
I'll take you at your word.
Promises that you can't keep.
It's getting harder to hold on.
You said it,
You said it,
Don't ever let me fall.
Don't give up because you're losing.
(Losing, losing, losing!)

Hold on,
Hold on, (Hold on)
Hold on, (Just hold on!)
Hold on,
Hold on.

Don't you think,
If it's meant to be,
It will be?
Don't you think,
This will work out eventually (eventually)?
Hold on!

You said it,
You said it.
I'll take you at your word.
Promises that you can't keep.
It's getting harder to hold on (hold on!)
You said it,
You said it,
Don't ever let me fall.
Don't give up because you're losing.

You said it,
You said it.
I'll take you at your word.
Promises that you can't keep.
It's getting harder to hold on.
You said it,
You said it,
Don't ever let me fall.
Don't give up because you're losing.
(Losing, losing, losing, losing, losing)."

By the end, I was panting, and out of breath. I hear the crowd cheering, I didn't care. But that didn't stop the boys froming running up to me and hugging me close. I do the same. "I love you, boys."

"We love you, too, Mom."

"Good, now go find your father, I'm about to get your Uncle Jesse a boyfriend." They nod, and peck their foreheads before they wander off.

"Okay, this next song I will be singing for my dear friend, Jesse, to his love interest. They should know who they are." The crowds Oo's and I laugh before starting.

"Just open up,
Like a page in a book.
These words that I'm writing won't be misunderstood.
If I'm dishonest,
Bring me back to my knees.
Show me why I'm even able to speak.
I'll testify,
Please help me to see.
Don't close your eyes,
Keep your eyes on me.
Open up,
Open up now.
So make me strong.

There's blood on my hands,
And the killers not my enemy.
It's all for the sake of love,
It's all for you.

When all we know is falling,
I'll save something for you,
You who are all alone,
(All alone).
When everything is beautiful,
When everything's okay,
Even if it's not okay,
I'll say it's all for you,
For you,
For you,
For you, (for you!)
For you, (for you!)
For you and only you (only you).

These hands hold up nothing,
But scars underneath (scars underneath).
From swimming these oceans and learning to breathe (learning to breathe).
So often I tell them,
So often they listen to me.
So make me strong.

There's blood on my hands,
And the killers not my enemy.
It's all for the sake of love,
It's all for you.

When all we know is falling,
I'll save something for you,
You who are all alone,
(All alone).
When everything is beautiful,
When everything's okay.
Even if it's not okay,
I'll say it's all for you.
For you,
For you,
For you,
For you, (for you!)
For you, (for you!)
For you and only you.

I can tell it in my fingertips.
Oh,
I can feel!
And I can taste it in the air,
And I'm hoping there's someway I can follow!
I know somehow there's something new,
I see it so clearly.

I can feel your hands on my fingertips.
I'm seeing oh so clear.
I know it's for you,
I see it so clear.
(It's all for you).

When all we know is falling,
I'll save something for you,
You who are all alone,
(All alone).
When everything is beautiful,
When everything's okay,
Even if it's not okay,
I'll say it's all for you
For you, for you."

I smile at the crowd, sweaty and gross, but oh so alive. I look for Jaime who was blushing in the crowd. "Jaime! Come on up here!" He starts walking up here slowly. He reaches the stairs and I run to him, pulling him up and faster towards Jesse. I look to Jesse pointedly. He sighs, but takes Jaime's hands in his and Jack begins playing the chorus to Scene One. I begin singing.

"They say that love is forever,
Your forever is all that I need.
Please stay, please stay as long as you need.
Can't promise that things won't be broken,
But I swear that I will never leave.
Please stay forever with me."

I sang that repeatedly and quietly so that Jaime could hear Jesse.

"Look, Jaime. I know we don't know each other that well, but I really want to give us a chance. I like you a lot, and I know that it can grow to love. And with the distance thing - I can move my base somewhere in Mexico here for you, or you can move up north with me. I just know that as long as you're here with me, I know I'll be okay."

I feel tears forming and when Jaime nods, they fall freely. Jesse leans down just as Jaime leans up and they kiss. I start clapping, stopping my singing. They break apart and I turn to the crowd. "How was that, guys?"

Cheering. "Now, do you want one last song?" More cheering. I nod and walk to the guys. "Which song do you guys want do to?"

"Let's just finish Scene One and we'll do other songs later," Justin says. I nod. "That works. Are you all going to be playing guitar?"

"Nah, just Jesse will be up here with you." I nod.

"Alright." They all put back their instruments. I grab a stool and place it near the microphone and grab another one and place beside the stool for Jesse. I grab another microphone stand. Jesse had gotten an acoustic guitar and he takes a seat. "Alright guys, I want everyone to grab a partner and start dancing. This one is for Vic and now Jaime. Enjoy." Jesee begins strumming the guitar.

"Stay for tonight.
If you want to,
I can show you
What my dreams are made of
As dreaming of your face.
I've been away for a long time,
Such a long time.
And I miss you there.
I can't imagine being anywhere else,
I can't imagine being anywhere else, but here.

How the hell did you ever pick me?
Honestly, 'cause I can sing you a song.
But I don't think words can express your beauty.
It's singing to me.
How the hell did we end up like this?
You bring out the beast in me.
I fell in love from the moment we kissed.
Since then,
We've been history.

They say that love is forever,
Your forever is all that I need.
Please stay as long as you need.
Can't promise that things won't be broken,
But I swear that I will never leave.
Please stay forever with me.

If you want to,
I can show you.
If you want to,
I can show you.

It goes to show,
I hope that you know that you are
What my dreams are made of.
And I can't fall asleep,
I lay in my bed,
Awake at night.
And I'll fall in love.
You'll fall in love.
It could mean everything.
Everything to me.
Ooh, ooh.
This could mean everything to me.

They say that love is forever,
Your forever is all that I need.
Please stay as long as you need.
Can't promise that things won't be broken,
But I swear that I will never leave.
Please stay forever...

The way that we are
Is the reason I stay.
As long as you're here with me,
I know I'll be okay.

Ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, da, da.
Ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, da, da.
Oh, oh.
Ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, da, da.
Ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, da, da.
Oh, oh.

They say that love is forever,
Your forever is all that I need.
Please stay, please stay as long as you need.
Can't promise that things won't be broken,
But I swear that I will never leave.
Please stay forever with me."

Jesse brings the microphone closer to him. He was going to have to start singing with me.

(It goes to show, I hope that you know that you are [that you are] what my dreams are made of [dreams are made of].)
(It goes to show, I hope that you know that you are, that you are.)
Please stay, please stay as long as you need.
(It goes to show, I hope that you know that you are what my dreams are made of.)
They say that love is forever,
You forever is all that I need.
(It goes to show, I hope that you know that you are, that you are.)
(They say that love is forever.)
Please stay forever with me."

The crowd stops dancing and they begin to clap. Jesse and I walk off stage. Vic meets me half way and smiles at me. "You were great!"

"Thank you." He pecks my forehead, and I take Cope from him. "Vic, I'm going to go talk to Austin and Alan?"

"Alright. I'll come find you later, I need to set up the DJ." I nod and walk off to find Austin and or Alan. Luckily, they found me. "Kellin!"

"Alan!" He runs to hug me.

"Happy Birthday."

"Thank you. Now where's Austin and the rest?"

"Over here, follow me." And I do. Finally reaching them, I see they were all holding hands with someone. "Hello, you must be Kellin. Happy Birthday."

"You're... Shay? Right?"

"Yep. That's me. Killer voice by the way. I think you may be better than me."

"What? No way. Your voice is amazing! I could listen to you sing all day."

"Well, thank you."

"You're welcome, I hope you sing more today. I bet even your humming is great."

"Thank you, but high notes are way better than mine."

"I refuse to believe so. And, Austin, you can sure scream. You were incredible!"

"Aw, thanks, Kellin."

I stay with them for a while, just talking. Vic having turned on the music long ago. And we talked until it was time to cut the cake. Alan dragged me over to the table and they set the cake in front of me, handing me a knife. I set it down until they were all ready and I took the time to grab frosting with my finger and feeding it to Cope who sucked happily.

They were finally ready and I began cutting it into pieces as they all cheered and took videos and pictures. I made sure everyone had a piece before getting one myself. Jesse and Vic helped me pass it around. And I finally sat down with Cope in my arms as I fed her some of my cake.

Vic sat beside me and took Cope to change her diaper. I swayed my body to the music which had turned out to be rap which I don't like, but this particular song was actually really good. I feel someone grab my hips roughly and I gasp at the harsh movement. I haven't been treated like this in forever. I turn my head to look at who it was but they moved from my line of vision. Then they whispered in my ear, and my blood ran cold.

"Happy Birthday, Kellin." Then he was gone. I turn around to see if I could spot him, but I didn't. Someone taps my shoulder and I jump. "Woah, sorry, Kellin."

"It's okay, Vic. Just lost in thought."

"Well, come on. Austin's playing again."

I turn to the stage and see they were setting up. When they finish, Austin and Shay walk to the microphones. Shay begins humming, and I was right. Even his hums were beautiful.

"I hope you know,
I swear,
I've never done this before,
And I care,
I'm so sorry.
Scarred you for life.
Please come back to me,
Down on my knees.
Repeating apologies.

Why do I deny the heart that's grown colder?
Too quick to criticize the lullaby.
Why do I deny the heart that's grown colder?
Too quick to criticize.

Sweet serenity, (I wish you sweet serenity!)
Sweet serenity, (Sweet serenity!)

Back on the mistakes I've made,
Please come home to me,
I'll show you truth,
I'm all for you,
I'll hold your hand.
Ease your mind,
Yeah we'll be okay.
Repeating apologies.

Why do I deny....?

Stay here with me,
Let what I am,
Let it speak more,
More than words.
They can't compete with,
It's always been you and me.

Why do I deny the heart that's grown colder?
Too quick to criticize the lullaby.
Why do I deny the heart that's grown colder?
Too quick to criticize.

Sweet serenity, (I wish you sweet serenity!)
Sweet serenity, (Sweet serenity!)."

They stop to let Shay hum again before he begins singing.

"I hope you know,
I hope you know,
I've never done this before,
Done this before,
And I,
I hope you know,
I hope you know,
Baby, you're not alone.
You're not alone.
(You've ruined me!)

I hope you know,
I swear I've never done this before.
And I care,
I bet you're sorry you've lied to my face.
All these words that I say are the things
That I wanted to hear from you to me."

I clap for them and then I see something I never thought I would. Vic was going up there with Jaime, Tony, and Mike. They all walk to a certain instrument.

"Okay. I don't usually sing, but I know it makes Kellin happy. Kellin, you're my only exception," he says. And I laugh. He smiles and begins strumming his guitar.

"I changed your mind,
And ended up here.
Through stained glass eyes,
And colorful tears.

Fine!
Maybe I'll pretend right now,
But I swear to God,
I'm going to change the world.
I promise you someday we'll tell ourselves,
'Oh, my God, this is paradise.'

I cherish my,
American girl.
She holds them down,
While I destroy the world.
Oh, oh, oh.
My desperate cries.
She don't seem to care.
Oh, yeah.
She bites her tongue,
So that we can tell each other.
'Baby, this is paradise,
And it's so god damn good.
Now we live like we should.'

Fine!
Maybe I'll pretend right now,
But I swear to God,
I'm going to change the world.
I promise you someday we'll tell ourselves,
'Oh, my God, this is paradise.'

Fine!
Maybe I'll pretend right now,
But I swear to God,
I'm going to change the world.
I promise you someday we'll tell ourselves,
'Oh, my God, this is paradise.'"

The ending part with the guitar was amazing, it made me fall in love with the song. I cheer for them and I see Vic grab Cope from his mom. I walk over to them.

"Vivian!"

"Kellin," she says, pulling me close. "How's your birthday been?"

"Great! I really love what Vic did with the stage and all."

"I'm glad. Now, how's the food?"

I chuckle, "It's great, Viv. Your cooking is incredible as always."

She laughs. "You're too kind." I smile down at her. And the rest of the night went by uneventful. Everyone packed up and left. Those who ddin't live here, got a guest room. They helped carry all my presents in that I wasn't going to open until tomorrow because I was beat.

I lay a sleeping Cope down in her crib. Then Vic walks in after having placed the boys to bed. I was already changed and as I waited for him to finish showering and changing, I went out to the patio and I saw him. I tense and run inside. I grab my journal and begin writing hurriedly.

By the time I was finished, Vic was done as well. I blush as he drops his towel and look away. But I feel his fingers grab my chin and he turns my had to face him. He connects our lips and leans down so my back touches the bed. I cup his cheek while my other hand was on his shoulder.

One of his hands travel under my shirt. I shiver. I pull away and just stare up at him. "Thank you, for today. It was the best birthday I've had, well until he showed up," I mumble the last part, but Vic heard.

"Who?"

"No one," I say too quickly.

"Kellin," he says in a stern tone and I sigh.

"I saw my uncle," and his breath hitches. I finally let myself break down and I clutch to him.

"Vic, I'm so scared. I'm just so scared." He switches positions so I'm on his lap and he rubs my back.

"Shhh, don't be scared." I cry silently into his shoulder. He picks my head up and makes me stare at him. "Don't let the world bring you down, Kellin. You're not alone anymore. You're with me. I'll protect you. I promise. I will kill him before he even gets the chance to even touch you. Okay?"

I nod. "Good, now let's go to bed."

"Vic?"

"Hmm?"

"Lay me down and tell me things will be alright."

"Things will be alright." And I let myself fall asleep in his strong and safe hold.