Bulletproof Love

Chapter Three

Chapter Three:

The bus stops and I feel myself tensing up. It's actually happening, I actually left the United States. "Alright, everybody off. Todos vajense." I don't know what he said after that, but I got off the bus and as soon my feet touched the ground, I realized there was no going back. I was in Mexico.

I smile and laugh, I was in Mexico. This is all real. I was free. I was free... but alone. I look around and see nothing but buildings that are different from those in the U.S. of A. They were brown, with a pattern. They were beautiful. People were everywhere, walking. How was I going to communicate with anyone? Communicate? Commun... I have to call Jesse! I look around and see a woman around her mid-thirties. She seemed nice enough. Hopefully, she's as nice as she looks.

"Excuse me, ma'am," I say when I reach her. She turns to look at me. "Yes?"

"May I borrow your phone?"

"Sure, do you need to call to America?" I nod. She did something to it and then handed it to me. I smile and mumble a thank you to her. Then I'm pressing the numbers of Jesse's memorized number. I place the phone to my ear. "Hello?"

"Jesse! It's me, Kellin. I'm in Mexico."

"Kellin? Oh, Thank God. What's it like?"

"It's hot. But, Jesse, what were you thinking sending me here? I don't know the language, I don't have the currency, I don't have a place to stay!" I hesr him laughing on the other end. "Kellin, I have a friend in Mexico. I'll call him and tell him to pick you up. His name's Jack. Jack Fowler."

"Ok. Bye, Jesse." And then I hung up. I walked back to the lady, and handed her her phone, "Thank you, ma'am."

"No problem, sweetie. Bye." And when she left, I was truly alone in a foreign country. I walk to a bench and wait and wait and wait. I look around and see the sun going down. Where was this Jack guy? People were going into their homes and I was the loner still out. I should have stayed in Michigan.

I lay down on the bench and look up at the sky. There were millions of stars, that's something you didn't see in Michigan. One bonus to being here. I hear a few cars still out and I wonder why they aren't home with their families, cozy in their beds. I sigh. I've here two hours and still no Jack.

The wind starts blowing and it feels great in this heat. It blows my baggy tank top. I have to giggle a bit at that. I probably wouldn't be this skinny if it weren't for him. I love food and if it were to have been up to me, I'd probably be a fat hippo, but he loved to starve me. My skinny jeans were probably smaller than a girl's size.

I sit up and pout. I've had enough of waiting for someone that isn't going to show up. I get up on shaky legs and bite my lip, looking both ways. I didn't know where to go. I go a random direction and walk. Who knows, maybe I'll find a random motel and they'll be generous enough to give me a room for free. Yeah, right, Kellin. I sigh at myself. But I knew I was right, who would give me a free room.

I had been walking down the same road for who knows how long, and nothing, not one single hotel, just random buildings. And all of them seemed to be empty. Except for a few where I saw people watching me through cracks in the wall and through their windows. None of them seemed dangerous, they seem more scared than anything, but it made me so uncomfortable to be watched in such a matter.

I had my head down, hands in my pockets when I heard yelling, "Corré, no vayas para a ya. Estan a ya. Corré. Ve a casa! Escondase!" Now I had no idea what he was saying, but he looked so frightened, I kind of wished I understood him. I started trembling. Shit! He started running away and I first didn't understand why, but then.... I heard gun shots. Double shit! I hug my book close.

I went in another direction and kept walking. When the gun shots were light is when I knew I was going in a different direction. I had my head down, not wanting to attract attention to myself. My book was tucked inbetween my arm and pocket. The night air was nipping at my skin, but I couldn't bring myself to care. I didn't really have anything to live for anymore anyway.

I was walking past an alleyway when I heard yelling and I tensed up. It sounded like to mean arguing in Spanish. I scurry past the opening but then I bump into a garbage can and the arguing stops. Shit, shit, shit, shit! I hear footsteps coming and burst into a run. Will I ever stop running? "Ey, ven paca!" I sigh, Guess not.

I turn a corner and bump into someone. I look up and see he was holding a gun. He reaches down to grab me, but I escape his hold. I burst into another run and go in the opposite direction. I hear a gun shot and I feel a bullet past me. Are they serious?! I start running faster.

But then I felt arms wrap around my waist. I tense up, remembering that night. I feel a hand press a cloth to my face and I struggle against the hold. But it was no use. I felt myself losing conciousness, but before I  go out, I say, "Book, please." Then everything went black.

~~~

When I come around, I hear someone arguing. Kind of like what got me here in the first place. I look around and see I'm in some kind of holding cell, my wrists shackled to the wall behind and I was on my knees. My book was nowhere to be found and I panic. Where is it? They must've taken it. Shit! I look to the door and see two silhouettes on the other side by looking inbetween the metal bars.

"Estaba en nuestras tierras."

"¿Porque?"

"¿Que voy a saber yo?"

"¿Es gringo?"

"Si, creó que esta perdido. Creó que el esta corriendo."

"¿Y porque dices eso?"

"Pues, tenia moretones."

"Esta bien, esperaremos a Victor entoneses."

"Ok. Cuando llega?"

"Mañana." That's all I hear. And who is this Victor they spoke of? I didn't have time to question life because then the door was opening and I tense up and look away out of fear. That and the light hurts my eyes. "Olle, ¿gringo, sabes español?" And I just stare at them confused. "What?"

"Mike, no creo que sabe."

"Eso lo se ahora. Alright, I guess we'll stick with English." And I'm surprised, he knew English? "Why are you here," he asked me. And I bite my lip, what would they do if I didn't answer. "Um, not to be mean or anything, but that's not really your business." And this Mike guy smirks. "You're lucky my brother isn't here because he won't care who you are, he'll get an answer out of you, one way or another." And my eyes widen.

"You have pretty eyes. Weird mixture between green, blue, and gray," and my eyes widen more and I feel my cheeks heating up. "T-Thank you."

"You're welcome. Now, I'll ask again, why are you here in Mexico, alone at night?" I didn't want to answer, but I was scared of what this Vic dude would do to get it out of me. "Um, I ran away, my friend bought me a ticket here and that's where I ended up."

"Why'd you run away?" I look at him, dead in the eye. "Alright, does it have to do with your bruises?" I just nod, that was all he was getting. "Ok. Well, tomorrow, Vic is coming in to talk to you and if I were you, I'd pray he go easy on me. Vic is... unpredictable, and ruthless." I bite my lip. Why me? When will I ever stop having to run away?

"Good night, Kellin." And my head snapped up to meet his amused gaze. He knew, he knew my name, but how? I feel myself getting more anxious as to how he discovered my name. It wasn't an easy or typical name, so he couldn't have guessed it.

"How do you know my name?"

"Your book, it has all your information." My book, they had it. They must've kept it. They did listen to my plea. "Can I have it?" I knew they were probably going to say no, but it was worth a try since it's not like I had a phone there anyway. "Sure, tomorrow I'll give it to you when Vic comes in to talk to you." I nod.

They leave and I'm left alone with my thoughts. Who is Vic? Who are they? Where am I? Why am I here? What were they talking about before coming in here? I need to learn Spanish. No, Kellin, stop. Don't let yourself get lost in your thoughts, nothing good comes from it. And I was right, last time I let myself get lost in my thoughts, it led me to self-harm. I regretted afterwards because that wasn't for me. I kind of hate myself, but not enough to do that.

I had to go to the hospital afterwards because I had cut to deep. The three scars were still there, reminding me of how weak I had been, of the harm I had caused myself, not him. I had felt like him because even though I wasn't causing harm to anyone else, I was causing harm to myself, so I swore never to do it again. And I haven't, no matter how tempting it is. I would not become like him.

I wonder what he's doing right now. Probably passed out drunk, but did he even notice I was gone. Sure he'd notice his punching bag was gone. I don't think he'd miss me as a person, more like someone he let's his anger out on. I guess that was better than nothing.

I watch the door, expecting someone to walk in. I had no idea what time it was. Days could have passed without me knowing. I should have asked Mike or that guy that was with him. Why didn't I? Oh, right, because I was intimidated by his tattoos and his height. And his scrutinizing brown eyes. Kellin Quinn, you are a wimp. I sigh, knowing I was right. So, I stayed and waited, not sleeping, but not awake either. Just there. I had to stay alert for anything. For all I know, they could be a cult.

And I don't know how many hours passed, or days, or whatever. But I hear commotion on the other side of the door. I hear yelling, arguing, and talking. "No lo mates, Vic."

"¿Por que no?" I hear an angry voice ask. It was so frightening. It sounded angry, annoyed, and exactly like the devil himself. "Porque es inocente. Solo estaba en el lugar equivocado en el momento equivocado." That sounded like Mike, and it seemed as though he was pleading.

"¿Y?"

"Victor, creo que te va a gustar. No mas miralo y me dices si todavia lo quieres matar."

"¿Por que?"

"Porque tiene unos ojos, una cara, unos labios, un cabello, una vos - " The other voice cuts him off. "¿Y por que no sales con el tu?"

"Porque yo ya tengo a alguien. No mas ve y miralo. Por favor, Victor." Nothing happens for a while, until the voice speaks again, "Esta bien." I hear shuffling and before I know it, the door to my cell is being opened, I flinch away from the light and then two silhouettes cover the light and I squint to look at them.

One of them was Mike, as I guessed, but the other I didn't recognize, but just looking at him and I wanted to crawl under a hole and hide. He scared me, he made my face pale, my hands sweat, my eyes look down. He didn't just scare me, he frightened me to no end. I feel his gaze on me and I felt like vomitting. "¿Sabe español?"

"No. Deberias enseñarle." I hear a grunt. Then after that, nothing. No noise, I hadn't looked up yet. Just stared at the ground. "¿Que dices entonces? ¿Vive o no?"

"No se, Mike, ni e mirado sus ojos. Pero... si es bello." He sounded hesitant in saying that. I have got to learn Spanish. "¿Como se llama?" The other said. "Kellin." I knew they were talking about me now. But what were they saying? Was it good or bad? "Hmmm. Kellin, look at me." And I wanted nothing more than to not, but I remembered what Mike told me. So, I did. I hear a small gasp, and I wanted to bring my gaze down again, but voted against it. "¿Ves, que te dije?" Mike said.

"Callate. Pero, si tiene unos ojos bellos, se mira inocente. Muy inocente."

"¿Que vas hacer con el?"

"Va ser mio." Then before I know it, Mike is unshackling the chains and I fall forward. He pulls me to my feet and leads me out of the cell. I rub my wrists involuntarily. "Mike?"

"Yeah," he asks, looking at me. "Can I have my book now?" He seemed shocked for a moment. "Yeah, we'll stop at my room to grab it." He leads through a maze of halls, turning left, right, right again, left. I felt dizzy. Finally, he stopped in front of a door and he walks in with me and I see him grab my book off a desk. "Here you go," he says, as he hands it to me. "Thank you."

We're in the halls again and he leads me to another building. I see people everywhere as we walk to the other building. He opens the doors with a key. "This is Vic's private house. No one but him is aloud in here unless he lets you in." I frown. "So, why are we here then?"

"Because he's aloud you in here." My frown deepens. "When?" Mike laughs and smiles at me. "When he said he'd make you his." And I freeze right there. "What?" Mike nods, "Yeah, he said he would make you his back at your cell. It was either that or dying." And I feel tears build up, will I never have freedom? I pull my arm out of Mike's grip.

"I'm not his. I'm not some object he can claim ownership over! I knew I should have stayed in Michigan." I mumble the last part, not expecting him to hear. "Then why didn't you?"

"Because I couldn't. Jesse wouldn't let me and I had nothing there, but a - I just had nothing there." Mike stares at me. "What were you going to say, Kellin," he asks. I shake my head. I kept my mouth in a firm line. He can't and wouldn't know. Then I feel it, it hurt and I heard the sound of skin on skin, loud. I was slapped. I was slapped. I look at Mike, mouth agape. How could he?

"You're lucky Vic wasn't here, or else that would've been much worse." I don't say anything as he pulls me along. I keep my gaze to the ground and don't stop until Mike pushes me through another door into a room. Looking at it, it looked like an extravagant room. It had a huge, plush bed, a chandelier, a fancy rug, long drawers. A couch, but no windows. "This will be your new room with Vic."

I wanted to question what he meant, but I was too hurt to do anything. What did I expect, though? Mike wasn't my friend, he was just there. But the fact that he slapped me hurt. I thought I was passed the abuse. Guess not. I must have done something terrible in my past life for having deserved to be treated like this.

"Wait here for Vic. Okay?" I do nothing to show I understand. I hear a huff and then I hear shuffling. He grabs my arms again, harder this time. I wince against his hold. " You will wait here for Vic. Okay?" I look up to meet his gaze. He didn't show any remorse, not that I expected him to, he certainly didn't. He glares and lets go of my arm. I hear him slam the door and I wince. I, then, hear him lock it and I sigh.There goes my plan of escaping.

I look at my arm and see a bruise forming. I, then, open a door and it was the bathroom. I look into the mirror and see the cheek he slapped was also growing a bruise. I guess my skin will never be blemish free. I was pathetic. A twenty-two year old not being able to defend himself. Pathetic. I walk out of the room and go sit on the bed. But before I knew it, I fell asleep.

~~~

I wake up to someone talking. "¿Por que le pegaste? Solo lo puedo tocar yo." It sounded like Vic. "Porque no me respondio."

"Eso no importa, Mike. No deberias haber tocado lo que es mio."

"¿Que esta haciendo ahora?"

"Durmiendo."

"Bien, revisa su cuerpo y vas a ver que tiene mas moretones de los que yo le di."

"Dame un minuto." I feel someone raising my shirt and I sit and push their hand away. I open my eyes to see it was Vic. He was just staring at me. "Wh-What are you doing?" And after I ask, I couldn't meet his gaze, I look around and see Mike was also in the room. "Searching for bruises. Mike, get out." Mike gets up from the table he was leaning on. "Alright. Bye. Bye, Kellin." I don't respond.

"Lift your shirt," Vic commans after Mike leaves. My eyes snap to his. They were probably bigger than they usually are. "W-Why?" I stutter out and pull the blanket higher over me. Wait - blanket? I don't remember covering up. "I covered you up." I look at him, "Did I say it out loud?"

"No, but you were staring at it in confusion." I blush and let out a small, "Oh."

"No problem, now take off your shirt."

"Why?"

"I'm checking for bruises." I look at him. Why would he be looking for bruises. "Mikes says you have more bruises than the ones he gave you." I blush. "I, uh, I really don't want to take off my shirt," I mumble.

"Doesn't matter. I wasn't asking." I feel tears build up. But I disobeyed. I was not going to take off my shirt. Next thing I know, I was trapped between Vic and the bed. He had my wrists in one hand over my head and the other holding my face. "Listen, Kellin, I don't think you get it, but when I command you to do something, you do it. I don't care whether you want to or not. I own you, so you are mine. And I will not have a disobedient possession. So, I'm going to say this one more time, take off your shirt." But I don't.

He growls and yanks my shirt off and then my pants. I kick out and struggle against him. "No, no, Victor, stop. Please. Victor, no," I yell, tears streaming down my face. "Kellin," he yells. "If you don't stop, I will rape you, here and now." I immediately stop struggling, but the tears don't. When he's done, he left me in my underwear.  He sits up and looks at me. Then he rubs a hand over my chest and I push it away. He glares and holds my hands down with one of his and the other goes back to my chest. He rubs it over one of the bruises and I wince. He frowns at that. He, then, moves his hand lower and he glares when he sees the hand prints on my thighs.

"Who did this," he demands. I just shake my head. He glares, but continues with what he was doing. His hands skim over my visable ribs. And he ran his hand over every bruise and hand print. When he's done, he tells me to put my clothes back on. Which I do, with no complaints what so ever. But then he takes off his shirt and I look away, blushing.

"Kellin, look at me." I clench my eyes shut, but when I open them, I look at him. "Come closer." I take a hesitant step forward. He grabs my hand gently and I feel my blood run cold. His touch disgusts me. He skims my hand over his chest, and I clench my eyes, lone tears escaping. But then my hand runs over a wound and I open my eyes and stare at it in confusion. I take a step closer and bring my other hand over to it as well. I skim my finger nails over it and he grunts a bit.

"What happened?"

"Bullet wound. Got shot in a riot with an opponent gang." I feel my eyes widen at the news. "You're in a gang?" I feel him laugh against my hand. "I'm the leader of the gang. My gang is called Pierce The Veil in English." I nod and run my hand over his chest and find another wound. This time it was a long scar, this time on his abdomen instead of his shoulder like the bullet wound. "What about this one," I ask softly. "Knife skimmed past me, but it left that." That's how we spent the rest of the day, me finding a wound and him answering how he got it. My tears stopped around the forth wound.

When I find each single one, he puts on his shirt and leads me to the bed. My heart rate picks up, what is he doing? "Ground rules," he says, when we sit. "One: You listen to me. Two: You are not to leave this building unless I let you. Three: You are not aloud to be with anyone else intimately, but me," I blush at that. "Break them, and you will be punished. Questions?" I nod.

"Am I going to have to be with you intimately?" After asking, I bite my lip in anticipation. He looks at me, before speaking, "If you mean will I force you into anything, the answer is no, unless you force my hand and in that case, yes." I nod my understanding. "By the way, you'll be sleeping with me. Okay?" I nod. "Good, now it's late and it's time for bed. I'll get you something to wear." And he walks to one of the drawers. He pulls out a shirt and then walks back to me.

"Here." And he hands it to me. I grab it, but then I just sit there, waiting for him to turn around, or look away or something. "Well," he asks. I blush, "Can-Can you please turn around?" I look down, blushing, biting my lip. "Alright." And he does so. I get up and drop my skinny jeans to the ground. Then I remove my tank top replacing it with the shirt he gave me. "Um, do you have any shorts or pants I could wear," I ask. "Kellin, you'll be sleeping like that. I want you in the most unromantic way, but I won't force you into anything, so I will stay with just watching. Okay?" And I nod, even though I felt so exposed and naked.

He quickly changes afterwards and we get into bed. It really was a comfortable bed. After turning off the lights, I just lay there, wondering what happened to my life. I feel an arm skim over my thighs and wrap around my waist. Stupid hairless legs. I feel myself tense up and clench my eyes shut. My breathing stops and few tears escape, but then Vic removes his arm and I let out a breath. I grab my book from the side table and hold it close, scooting as far away from Vic as possible.

What has my life come to? And I cry myself to sleep not caring if Vic heard.