We Salute You In Your Grave

Four.

Rayne's Point Of View. 1:00AM.

I'll admit, I had my doubts-- and guilt.

Should I? Shouldn't I?

I decided on the first option.

I wanted to take a stand for something I believed in.

So, with that mindset, my bag was packed and ready to go. We didn't intend to bring much.

I was just waiting. All of us were, in my room.

Not talking, really, just staring into space and waiting for our signal to go.

Half-eaten popcorn in a bowl--cold, greasy, and untouched.

Opened sodas barely sipped, and sitting nearby.

The TV was on, but I couldn't tell you what was even showing at that moment; it was all part of a facade. A "sleepover", then a "trip to the lake" for the weekend.

We were all too focused on what we were about to do. We'd already lied to our parents, arranged for all calls to the lakehouse to be forwarded to our cell phones, and gotten plane tickets to fly across the ocean to a completely different continent.

The air was thick with adrenaline that set my teeth on edge and made my mind race.

A barely-audible tap on the window snapped us all into attention:

It was time to go.

We climbed down the trellis without very much difficulty, with Francesca's younger sister waiting below and dodging the luggage we tossed down with a self-muffled yelp.

"You guys ready?" Briana (Frankie's sister) whispered.

We nodded, lips pressed together, and the four of us slinked away to her car, driving off with utter stealth.

---

By the time we got to the airport, it was 10 minutes until the plane took off.

Standing at the gate hesitantly, Briana blinked away tears as all of us paused to say our goodbyes.

"You be careful, alright? Mom'll kill me if something happens to you..."

Francesca nodded gravely. "Love you."

"Love you too," she sniffled. "All of you be careful, okay? Something tells me this isn't just going to be a good old-fashioned protest..." She sniffed again, addressing all of us this time.

"Are you crying? I thought I was the one who was the pansy," Frankie managed to pull her lips into a wry smile, her dark bangs falling into her eyes even though she wore a black beanie.

"No," Bri rubbed her eyes with her sleeves. "And you still are."

"We'll see about that." Frankie's eyes narrowed.

"Bye, Pansy..." Bri narrowed her eyes, walking backwards.

"Bye, Toadface..." Frankie walked backwards into the gate with us, blowing a kiss.

"Take care of yourself, kid," I managed to hear Francesca murmur before we boarded the plane.
♠ ♠ ♠
woot. hiatus over. <3

thoughts?