Status: This was my flash fiction I handed in to my English teacher and got a 75% mark on it. I think it turned out really good and my teacher loved it. So I decided to share it with all of you :) Enjoy and tell me your thoughts are on my flash fiction. (c) 2014 Midnightloverz

The Price You Pay

The Price You Pay

I did it; I stole the beautiful red dress. I was walking downtown shopping for dresses. I came across a rundown store called “Midnight Valley” I don’t know what interested me in going to the store, but I really needed to find a dress for the school dance. I entered the store and saw a blind old lady folding clothing. The store had a musky smell, very dusty and had strange items placed along the shelves. The old lady looked creepy, kind of like a witch would look like; messy hair, ripped clothing, and her clouded eyes just made her scarier. I looked on the dress racks but no luck. As I was about to exit the store a beautiful red strapless dress hanging on a display at the back of the store caught my eyes. I just had to get it.
“Hello, I would like to try on the red dress hanging on the display in the back” I say as I tap the old lady’s shoulder.
She grabs her walking stick and bangs it on the floor towards the dress. She carefully took it off the display and handed to me. She leads me to a small dressing room and goes back to fold clothing. I enter the dressing room and try on the dress. It’s a perfect fit I check the price, crap it’s too much money. I then make a decision to steal it. The old lady won’t notice me anyways. I unzip my backpack quietly and fold the dress. I open the change room door quietly and look around. I see the old lady arranging items on the shelves her back is turned towards the exit, perfect escape. I place the folded dress in my backpack and zip my bag quietly. I sneak past the old lady, tip toeing towards the exit. As I got to the door I take a quick glance at the old lady, she’s looking straight at me, her face has no expression she mumbles weird words under her breath. I decide to make a run for it. What a strange lady I thought while running towards my house.

Tonight was the school dance and I would finally get noticed by Luke. I put on the strapless red dress and look at myself in the mirror. Perfect. I grab my makeup bag and unzip it. As I started putting makeup on my face, I saw at the corner of my eye the old lady from the shop standing in my bedroom! I turn around and shout towards her.
“What the heck are you doing here? How did you even get inside my house? The door is locked!”
The old lady looks at me with her clouded eyes and wrinkled face, she looks angry. She shouts back at me.
“You stole from me! Return the dress or else I’ll steal from you!
Then she disappears. What the heck just happened? I shake my head and blame it on my conscience. My conscience probably feels bad for me stealing the dress I shake it off and put my makeup on.
________
I entered the school gym and saw Luke talking with his football buddies. Luke looks really handsome in his suit. I take a deep breath and walk up to him. He compliments on my dress and a slow dance song comes on. He smiles at me and asks me for a dance. I feel nervous and happy and he leads me to the dance floor. We started to slow dance; I could feel his heartbeat through his chest. I lean my head and close my eyes on his chest. My dream is really coming true. I open my eyes and look up at him only to realize I’m dancing with the old lady. She grabs me tight and leans towards my right ear and whispers in an irritated tone.
“You stole from me. Return the dress or else I’ll steal from you!
I gasp and push her away only to realize I pushed Luke down to the floor. He looks up at me in shock. He gets up and looks at me. There is anger in his voice.
“Why did you push me down Amanda? What is wrong with you?!
“But you were an old lady and I got scared and…” I reply with tears going down my face.
“Wow you are a freak and to think I was starting to develop a crush on you.” He says and walks over to his football buddies.
I’m in shock. I look around and everyone is looking at me and whispering to each other. The music has stopped and Luke’s football buddies started laughing at me as well as other classmates. I cry and run out of the gym. When I get home I take off the dress and hang it in my closet and put comfy pajamas on. I get into bed and cry myself to sleep.
________
The sunlight shines bright through my windows. I wake up and yawn. I open my eyes. I scream. I can’t see! I fall off my bed and crawl towards my dresser. I grab the edge of my dresser and pulled myself up. I feel around my eyes. I can’t feel them! They are gone and only two black holes remain. My beautiful blue eyes are gone forever. I passed out from my fear.
________
The old lady at the store laughed and looked in her refection admiring her new pair of blue eyes.
“As I said if you steal from me, I’ll steal something precious of yours” She said towards the mirror. “I’m going to enjoy my new eyes and the gift of sight”
The old lady then went back to folding clothing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoy this short flash fiction
Tell me your thoughts and check out my story Isabel :)
Thanks
-Midnightloverz