My Saving Grace

I Don't Understand

"Let's Go!" Clark barked at her. He was impatient, if anything, very antsy. He knew nothing of patience, nor manners. Nobody really ever understood what Rae saw in him, or what any other girl saw in him for that matter. Clark was a tall, bulky, and broad Neanderthal type guy who couldn't hit the broadest side of a barn if he even tried. Nothing he ever said seemed to make much sense.

"You can quit yelling at me any day now. You're pissing me off by how rude you are," Rae said, beginning to grow very upset with him.

"I'm not being rude," he retorted, "You're just being really fucking slow!"

She stormed off, eyes welling with tears. She really had no clue how she had put up with his cruel treatments. He was always yelling at her and threatening her with things he knew would do everything include hurt. She pulled out her cell and opened her texts. About mid-way down, she swept her gaze over the messages between Joe, a guy she had known since before high school graduation, and herself. The texts were, hateful, oh they were everything but pleasant. Joe has had a crush on her, ever since they met, but it never happened. He had professed his undying love for her, but something just held her back. Now, after starting college, she had found Clark and had fell in love, or so she thought.

"Who are you talking to?!" Clark demanded as he stomped up next to her, questioning her motives with his hateful glare.

"I'm not talking to anyone. I was just texting Joe back," she said, eyeing him with hateful passion.

"Oh, Joe huh? What'd he have to say this time?" Clark snorted at her.

"He told me he loved me again..so I told him to go, that I was happy," she said, with a look of sympathy.

"He needs to leave you alone before I go kick his ass," Clark said, his temper beginning to flare.

"No, leave him alone, I can handle this," Rae said, assuring him.

"I'm sure you can.." Clark snarls as he walks away.

"He is so immature," she thought. "Always getting mad and trying to control everything I do."

Clark never could keep a job for long and his temper, laziness, and attitude always ruined the ones he could manage to get. Whenever she asked for help buying something she needed, he never had money. Whenever he wanted to buy things that he knew he didn't need, he always had some money.

When she left his house and returned to her dorm, she sat and thought about everything for a long time. Clark was so rude, immature and possessed no manners whatsoever, yet he claimed he loved her. On the other hand, Joe always argued with her, but had claimed to love her even longer than she had been in school.

"Why is love so complicated?" She asked the empty room around her. No matter the swirling thoughts inside her head, she had an agenda and didn't have time to sit and wonder why the world turned in circles. When she arrived to the recital that she was scheduled to work, she was greeted by her fellow colony sisters.

"Hey! Glad you could make it!" Ashley, a colony sister said.

"Hey glad I made it!" Rae smiled. She began helping set up tables for refreshments after the recital. She needed a distraction anyways. Clark had been distant and very argumentative lately. When she could sit down and check her phone, she found Clark's ever so distant response to her question, "Do you want to break up or what?"

The text read, "I don't know, I guess so." He guessed so. How could someone just "guess" that they wanted to leave the person they said they loved? After reading the text, Rae felt her face flush, mind go rigid, and everything slow to a molasses-like crawl.

"Are you okay?" Her sister Nicole asked, very concerned.

"I think..I think Clark just broke up with me.." She said with an eerie-like calmness.

"Are you serious?!" Nicole said, voice raising with anger. "What a DICK! He's stupid, you didn't need him anyways!"

She really didn't need him, and she knew it, but that's not what her heart felt. Later that night as she sat in her room, she cried, long and hard for what she once had.

Everyone told her it was a great thing, but at the time, she didn't want to believe anything. Her life had seemed to revolve around him. Now what did it revolve around? What did she plan her evenings or weekends around? For four days she cried until tears would no longer come. During those days, he came to get his things, leaving her in the parking lot bawling her eyes out. One odd thing she always thought of was why he would never say why he left her. She caught herself asking time and time again, but to no avail.

Through the whole ordeal, Joe talked to her. He hated Clark for who he was and the pain he had cause Rae. Of course, Joe wished she wouldn't have been so stubborn and would've dated him instead, but it never worked that way.

"Are you okay?" Joe asked softly.

"No," she sniffled, "Everything hurts."

"It will get better," he said, "He only brought you down, but look, he can't do anything to you now, you're free."

It took weeks for Rae to finally quit crying and grieving. One day, Joe texted Rae and asked, "Will you come stay with me?"

"Sure," Rae said, extremely anxious and very nervous. The emotions she had for him back then suddenly began to bubble back to the surface. She began to anticipate seeing him as she came downstairs that day.