Sequel: The Anomaly's Enigma
Status: Complete

The Enigma’s Anomaly

Looky Here, Another Cliffhanger? What a Shocker!

“Is there any point in me appealing to your better nature?” I ask after I’m shoved into the car carelessly.

“We all have jobs to do,” the big man says, and I nod, because that’s the answer I’d give in his place. That’s the answer I told myself when I was him. I was never this hands-on, but still.

“I understand, I just wish I didn’t have to die,” I say. “You know, I found the person I’m meant to be with? I don’t know how much they really told you about me, and my friend, or his brother. That guy you just let go though, he’s the brother of the man I’m in love with. I was going to have a life with him. Start a family and shit. Or at least if he’d wanted me, I would’ve had that life, but I don’t have that chance anymore, because I’m here with you.

“Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure you two are marvelous people, and I do understand why you’re doing this. I understand more than most people you’ll meet, because it does make sense, but still it’s a bummer to be on the receiving end. Gotta pay the bills though, right?”

The bigger guy is looking at me with his gun slack on his knee, but it’s still pointed at me. The other guy, the one with the buzz cut, is driving the car. If I were to come up with an escape plan, it would have something to do with stealing that gun from the man’s fingers, but I‘m not going to come up with an escape plan. I’ve been battered through this all so long, that I can’t ruin it all now. This is how the actions have to pan out, and it’s Gerard’s only chance at a normal life, so I’m fine with it. I’m glad in knowing that what happens today is going to be the end of it. It’ll all be over, and I’ll be able to rest. Finally sleep.

“Have either of you had a near death experience before? This isn’t really a near death experience when you think about it, because I’m going to die, but the fear is identical in this situation as when I thought I was going to die. It was actually only a little while ago, I’ve lost track of how long ago it was, but I thought I was going to drown. It was scary, I practically did drown. Had to get out of zip ties by myself, and let me tell you that’s hard to do on any good day, but it’s even harder while you’re underwater.”

Either they think I’m boring and talk too much, or I’m going to touch their heartstrings. I definitely don’t expect it to be the latter, but even though I’ve accepted this, I want to live. Part of me is always going to want to live. Human psychology from back in high school has told me that they’re more likely to empathize with me the more I tell them about myself. I’m trying, but I doubt it’ll work.

“Well anyway, people like you, different models, but still the same, they snatched me and they threw me into the ocean, and it was fucking freezing. Like it was the middle of spring, and it was nighttime so the water was absolutely glacial. I ended up having to wrap my legs around a post under the dock, and I cut myself free with a loose nail in the boards,” I say.

“Why are you saying all this?” the bigger man asks.

“The more you know about me the less likely you are to kill me.”

“That ain’t true,” the guy riving says.

“You ever heard of Stockholm Syndrome, boys? Well if you’re familiar with the concept it’s this sort of psychological reaction that occurs in the mind of a captive, wherein they start to empathize with their captors. It’s usually seen in hostage situations.”

“So?”

“Well it goes both ways. The opposite of Stockholm Syndrome is Lima Syndrome, and it’s much more common than the former. That’s the reaction where a captor starts to identify with their victim,” I explain, looking at the man in front of me casually. It’s not every day that you try to fool someone into caring about you.

“Do you believe either is possible?”

I shrug, “I’ve seen proof of it. Usually it takes a long time to form that kind of a bond though between abductor and victim. You two have to realize though, that I have nothing to lose. I’m going to die with near absolute certainty. The odds of my not dying are smaller than the odds that I am going to die. I have nothing to lose though, so I have to try.”

“You don’t believe you can though?” The man with the gun says, and he train his weapon on me a little more intently.

“If I had more time, maybe I would be able to get you guys to fall in love with my bright personality, but I don’t have enough time, unfortunately.”

“Sorry kid,” the bug man says.

“No it’s fine. I was like you once. I mean, you don’t believe me, and I get that, but I was. It was hard, like I fucking hated killing people. It’s tough. Then I met Gerard and I just didn’t want to hurt people anymore, because it was like, a crude awakening for me. I’d sort of galvanized my soul, and then I met this guy who was just so perfect and I had to change for him. Do you get it? Like killing people sucks,” I say, and the man looks at me skeptically. I didn’t really think he’d believe me but oh well.

The car ride only takes about ten minutes before we’re stopping, and my heart is stuttering. I can’t manage to find a way to keep my breath even.

I kick my foot against the seat, letting the phone fall from my shoe. If wherever we’re going is near this car then that should do the trick. It should still be traceable.

“Time to go?” I ask, when the man points the gun at me and grunts. “Seriously, you can use your words, I’m going to die. Who am I going to tell?”

“Just hurry up,” he says, and I roll my eyes, but I follow him out of the car. The gun is still on me and there’s no hesitation in his eyes.

When I step out of the car I come to another big looking warehouse, similar to the one where I was taken last time. I’m starting to think Banks is a giant empty warehouse mogul. That doesn’t seem like the best paying job, but who am I to judge?

“So where to now, boys?”

“Just move forward,” the big guy says.

“What? Are you not going to tie me up? I know I’m small, but I’m quite the contortionist.”

He rolls his eyes, and nudges me forward with the barrel of the gun.

“Oh, I don’t know how much I like you,” I say, “I feel like you’re a little impolite. You could say please.”

“You’re quite the smartass,” he says.

“I’ve been told that before. I never seem to shut up, especially when it’s the worst time possible,”

He says nothing but pushes me forward across the big dark expanse of the warehouse. There are a few doors on the sides, but none that seem to lead anywhere. I’m not looking forward to whatever is about to happen. Hopefully Banks is just going to kill me.

“So is he here? Your boss? Banks. You know, I feel a little guilty that I don’t even know the guys first name. Oh wouldn’t it be great if he were, like, Donald. Or Marvin! Or Sheldon. Oh god, what about Eugene? I’d fucking love it if his name was Eugene.”

I get to the other side of the warehouse. Now I don’t know what comes next, but I’m not going to lie to you, the smartest thing for me to do right now is to make a run for it. I won’t get away, I’m positive of that, but if I run away, I’ll get shot in the neck or something and it’ll be over. Painless, quick, and easy. At this point I can’t rule out the idea that Banks is going to torture me. That’s actually a likely possibility. If I run away now though, then it’s going to be so bad on my pride. I’ll go out with a whimper. I don’t want to go out with a whimper. I want it to be a bang. So if I’m going to die, I’m going to die kicking.

“In there,” The guy says, and he points to a part of the warehouse that’s been sectioned off by heavy black curtains. There’s a gap in the folds of the fabric, but I do not want to go through it. I don’t know what I’m going to see on the other side.

“Am I going to like what comes next?” I ask the guy and he shakes his head.

“Should I throw away my dignity and run away now so you can shoot me?” I ask him.

“That’s up to you,” he says.

“No, I’ll keep my head up,” I say, and I step through the barrier to meet what’s on the other side.
♠ ♠ ♠
Muse and Blink-182 both have songs called "Stockholm Syndrome." If you are not familiar with one or both of these songs then you should really fix that.