Sequel: The Anomaly's Enigma
Status: Complete

The Enigma’s Anomaly

Gerard's Savior

“You saved my life,” Gerard says looking void of any emotion, but shock.

“I guess?” I say, just as alarmed as him. I’m the one trying to kill him, I can’t believe I just saved him.

“How did you...?”

“I mean, I saw the laser thing and I just, I don’t know, guessed?”

He looks vacant for another few moments before shaking his head to gather his brain cells and then he looks directly at me.

I feel his eyes piercing into me and that’s when he quickly attacks me into a hug. He leans in too quick for me to even process it, and then wraps his arms around me. His arms trap my own to my body but they still bend at the elbows so I manage to hug him back.

I shouldn’t really be hugging him back, but it’s hard not to. He’s so warm, and his grip is really tight, like he’s trying to squeeze the air out of me, but it feels really amazing. I don’t know how else to put it, I just really enjoy the way he’s holding me right now, with his chin on my shoulder and his head resting against mine.

It’s a long hug, one that goes pretty much unnoticed because everyone is focusing on the guy who just got shot in the arm, but I barely realize what’s just happened. Gerard’s body being so close to mine is all I’m aware of. That guy will be fine though, it was just his shoulder. Gerard could have died.

Why do I care if he would’ve died though? It’s my job to make that happen yet I’m the one who prevented it.

He pulls away after a bit too long but I don’t care. I hope my face doesn’t look gleeful but that embrace was something out of this world.

“I can’t believe you saved...” He struggles for words, “thank you so much.”

“Um, you’re welcome I guess. I mean someone did just try to kill you,” I point out.

His face falls slightly, “shit, you’re right!”

“You should be fine as long as we stay hidden under here,” I say to ease his mind.

“How can you be sure?” He looks petrified. I’ve seen that fear before. I’ve inflicted that fear. It hurts so much to see that fear in someone I know.

“Math. The only angle it could’ve been coming from to cause the ice to shatter would be that way,” I say pointing in the direction that hides us from whoever just shot at him.

“I’m not good with math,” Gerard says, “Who got shot? Is he okay?”

To be honest I’m not good with math either but I know my guns and that angle is the only possible explanation for how the bullet flew the way it did.

I turn to look at the man who’s bleeding into his suit pretty badly, but he’s really not in that bad a situation. I can tell from the way that he grips his shoulder that no permanent damage has been done.

“He’ll be fine, it’s just a shoulder wound.”

“Where is he? I should apologize,” Gerard says, and tries to stand up but I push him down. No way am I letting him get shot at again.

“Apologize for what? Being the intended target and not dying?”

“Well... no, I just mean, it should’ve been me,” Gerard says.

“No it shouldn’t. You would have died, Gerard,” my throat closes at the thought. He literally was about to die. How could I ever forgive myself if he died? I mean, shit, that’s not what I mean! How could I forgive myself if I’m not the one who shoots him?

Something about that question doesn’t sit well in my stomach and I feel a little woozy as I sit there waiting. I’m not sure I had been aware of what I’m waiting for until I actually saw the police arrive. I’d spaced out and forgotten someone would need to call them.

There’s no reason I won’t be able to handle them though. I’ve never been interrogated or anything before but they won’t be asking me as a suspect, they’ll be asking me as a witness. I’m just another citizen as far as they know. Besides, I was standing next to Gerard and I saved him.

“Excuse me you two, I’d like to ask you a few questions about what happened tonight,” A woman says and I look up to see a cop standing over us. We’re still looking like morons under the bar counter.

“You can stand up we’ve already found the place that the shot was fired and the shooter is gone,” she assures us.

We nod and Gerard gets up much quicker than me, then helps me to my feet. For a moment I actually do get to hold his hand like I’d imagined, though I almost slip out of his grip because we’re both sweating. There’s electricity all the same.

As soon as I stand up I run my hand against my thigh to get rid of excess moisture.

After a little while of telling her everything that happened, and Gerard giving me way more credit than I deserve for saving him, she finally finishes up.

“Mr. Way, it seems you were likely the intended target,” The cop says. She’s blonde and looks tired but it looks like she really wants to help.

“Yeah, I guess,” Gerard says. He gulps and I can see his Adams apple physically bob in his throat.

“So do you know who’s trying to kill Gerard? A name at least?” I ask. I need to know who wants him dead. Maybe then I could ask, or try to convince them otherwise. Or threaten to rat on them unless they take the bounty off of Gerard’s head.

“We don’t know who exactly, but we’re pretty sure we know who the assassin is,” she says. I guess they’re going on the assumption that the person who shot at Gerard tonight is the same assassin as before. It’s not, because that wasn’t me. Someone else shot at Gerard, and they probably did it in my name.

“Who?” Gerard asks.

“We don’t know his true name, as he’s managed to stay under the radar, but the name everyone knows is ‘The Enigma.’”

“What do you mean you don’t know who he is?” Gerard asks.

“Well the assassin himself is just the one who carries things out. We’re looking for the person who hired the assassin. As for The Enigma, he’s good. He’s very good. He’s got at least 30 bodies on his hand, probably more.”

So they do know who I am. I don’t know if I should feel proud or nervous. I maintain a neutral expression though.

“If he’s so good then why did he miss three times?” Gerard asks. Hey, it was only twice! This guy isn’t me. He’s my replacement! Oh god, I’ve been replaced. That’s so demeaning.

“We don’t know yet, but I’m recommending you allow us to put a security detail on you,” she says.

“I think that’s a good idea Gee. I don’t want anyone to hurt you,” I say. Anyone who’s not me at least.

“I don’t want this taking over my life! I want to be able to have my privacy,” Gerard says.

“You won’t have a life to keep private if your dead though,” I say. I want him alive. Er- um, I mean so that I get to be the one who collects the money. Not because I care about him or anything like that.

“How intrusive would this be?” Gerard asks.

“We’d post people outside your building and keep someone around you 24 hours of the day.”

“For how long?” Gerard asks looking unconvinced.

“As long as it takes to catch the person who hired the assassin,” she responds sadly, looking at Gerard with complete empathy. Everyone sympathizes with the poor bastard. Even the guy meant to kill him, me, can’t help but feel the need to protect him.

“Please, Gerard?” I ask. If they’re outside of the building I could easily kill him with a silencer or something to that effect. It won’t be easy, but it’s not impossible. I do know the basics of burglarizing a house and sneaking in for a murder shouldn’t be too different. I know how cocky I probably sound, but you honestly have no idea how good I am at what I do. I am practically the best there is.

“Fine,” Gerard says looking defeated.

“Good choice,” the cop says, “thank you for your time.”

She walks away after that and starts saying something into a radio. I assume she’s calling in to get Gerard’s security.

When she’s out of ear shot Gerard turns to me and he looks scared, “Frank, I know I sound stupid, and I know how idiotic this is to say, but I’m too scared to be alone tonight.”

“What? Oh, no that’s not stupid. I’m a little wigged out myself.”

“Would you stay over maybe?” Gerard asks. “I have a guest room, I just need to know someone is there.”

“Um yeah, sure. I just need to stop off at home to grab something,” I answer. It looks like I’m going to be alone with Gerard tonight. If that is so than I’m going to need my gun.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment?