‹ Prequel: We Are Broken

Run, Don't Walk.

1.

Run, Don’t Walk.
Chapter One.
__
I breathe you in with smoke, in the backyard light.
We used to laugh until we choked, into the wasted night.
It was the best time of my life, but now I sleep alone.
So don’t, don’t wake me up ‘cause my thrill is gone.
And that sunset turning red behind the smoke, forever and alone.
__
It was a house party. Zack Merrick’s house party. He was one of the coolest guys ever, in their university anyway. He was tall and buff, sweet, and studied photography. But he was also really quiet, and Alex’s friend.

Tay was convinced that she was only invited to the party, as well as her friends, because she was dating Alex. Only a week or two so far, they had been together. But since Alex was kinda popular, word got around fast. People actually said hi to her, smiled at her, and waved- But only when his fingers were laced with hers, and his arm was around her.

Cassadee and Cameron begged in such a childish way (On their knees, hands pressed together and saying ‘Please, please, please!’ repeatedly.) that Alex couldn’t say no to them. So, the four of them walked to the nice part of town together in the dead of night, stupid grins on their faces.
Tay learned some stuff that night. Alex was hilariously dumb when he was drunk, and was into anything with a heartbeat. Cameron was a lightweight, only able to handle a bit of liquor. Cassadee just wanted to dance while intoxicated.

It was funny, since she didn’t drink much that night. Just laughed at her friends, pushing her hair out of her eyes and making sure they didn’t get themselves into any trouble. She noticed Cameron was kind of into Cassadee, too. This was something she kind of expected, though she wouldn’t tell anybody. The two had flirted a lot during their friendship, always teased each other, made each other laugh. They also had playful arguments.

Alex was laughing his ass off, Tay kind of forgot why, but his laugh was intoxicating. It made her giggle, bury her head into his shoulder. “Look! It’s Zack!” Alex hollered, waving wildly and holding onto Tay tightly with his other hand. “Yep, I see ‘em.” Tay nodded, laughing slightly. Zack gave them both a wide smile, showing off his dimples and perfectly white teeth. “Come here Zacky!” Alex beckoned the male forward, running his fingers through his neat brown hair. Tay shifted a little uncomfortably, smelling the alcohol on Zack from where he stood close to Alex. Alex was also drinking, but clearly not as much as Zack did. She averted her eyes from the men, but kept her hand around Alex’s wrist, and looked through the crowd of people for Cameron and Cassadee.
Cassadee was easy to find, jumping up and down while holding hands with their friend Jack, standing where the speakers were blasting Blink 182.

Cameron, on the other hand, was actually right behind Tay, a frown on his lips. “Cam, grab a smoke with me?” Tay suggested, letting go of Alex and linking arms with Cameron instead. The tall brunette kept close to Tay, pushing people out of their way as they made their way towards the front door.

“I didn’t know you smoked.” Cameron said once they reached the porch, where it was quiet. You could still hear the music from inside, but it was muffled slightly. “I do now.” Tay lied, shrugging slightly. The only others outside were a couple, who seemed too invested in each other to care that others had joined them.

“No you don’t.” Cameron argued, but pulled his pack of cigarettes out of his back pocket, as well as a lighter. “Don’t start that with me, Hurley. Just light me one.” Tay rolled her eyes, leaning against the balcony. Cameron obliged, a laugh escaping his lips as he took a drag of it first before passing the death stick to Tay, shaking his head slightly. “You’re gonna hate the way it tastes, Tay.” He told her, the thick smoke entering the clean air from his mouth, just as A Day To Remember started playing inside.

“Fuck it.” Tay told him in response, rubbing her hands over her face. “I don’t want it.” She admitted, sitting on the railing now, swinging her legs as Cameron sat beside her. “What’s the matter, Tay?” Cameron asked, leaning his head on her shoulder, the cigarette in between his fingers now. “Alex.” Tay answered simply, closing her eyes for a moment, then opening them. “What’d he do?” Cam questioned, furrowing his eyebrows. “He’s flirting with everyone, hugging people. Dude, he was gonna kiss Zack.” Tay explained softly. A laugh escaped Cameron’s lips at her words.

“Really, Tay? You’re all pissy about that?” He rolled his eyes, sitting up now. “Tay, he’s wasted, man. He doesn’t mean any of this, anything that he’s doing. He’s just being his drunken self. His drunk personality is different from his regular one, girl.” Cameron explained, a soft smile forming on his lips. “You’ve got nothing to worry about.” He finished, sliding off the railing and onto his feet, holding his hand out for Tay. “Okay?” He said, receiving a nod. “Okay.” She shrugged, getting her cheek kissed by a boy she considered her little brother, his arm slinging around her shoulder as they began to walk back inside. “And, stop flirting with me, Jardine. You’re gonna make him jealous.” Cameron laughed, pushing people once again. “Get off me, dingus.” Tay added, shoving him playfully as she bumped into Alex, who stood there with his hands in his jean pockets, eyebrows raised.
“Everything okay?” The elder man hiccupped, Tay nodding. “Yeah. You?” She asked, Alex shrugged, “Yeah, some kids wanna start shit with me, though. Wanna fight are something. We should get Cass and Jack, leave now.” He finished.

---
“Those assholes wanted to punch me in the face!” Alex exclaimed, holding onto the chair Tay was standing on top of, putting plates in the cabinet. “Which is why we left.” Tay laughed, letting him take her off of the chair to hold her in his arms for a moment. “I don’t remember shit from that party.” Cassadee frowned from behind the camera. The camera was a new thing for the group, deciding to vlog the next nine months for Tay and Alex’s unborn child. They were telling stories of their college lives from two years ago, deciding it would be cool for the child to watch and hear about when they were older.

“I don’t either.” Jack added, sitting on top of the counter, swinging his feet. “You guys were drunk off your asses.” Cameron told them, shrugging as he began to figure out how the coffee maker worked.
“Shit, guys, we can’t just be sitting here all day.” Tay exclaimed, shaking her head with wide eyes. “His parents are coming for dinner, we’ve got to clean and cook.” She continued, pushing herself out of Alex’s arms and storming towards the other side of the apartment.

“I’ll start cooking.” Cassadee offered with a shrug, picking up the camera and carrying it with her as she made her way over to the oven, kicking the chair Tay was previously standing on out of her way. “Aunt Cass is gonna teach you how to cook Italian, baby Jardine.” Cass spoke to the camera, placing it on the counter with giggle. “You’re gonna be a better cook then your mama, I’m gonna teach you. ‘Cause your mom knows how to burn water.” She explained, getting hit on the back of the head as Tay reappeared in the kitchen, meaning to grab Jack so he could get something for her, but deciding to hit Cassadee first. “Don’t soil my kid’s mind already.” She scolded, ruffling Cassadee’s hair afterwards, then leaving with Jack on her heels. “I can’t reach the top shelf, I need you to get that shoe box for me..” Tay’s voice faded out as she left.

“Uncle Cam’s gonna take baby Jardine, now.” Cameron interrupted Cassadee’s talking, grabbing the camera and holding it in front of him. “I’m the better Uncle, just saying. You’re gonna have three of them, baby Jardine.” Cameron told the camera, walking into the living room and plopping onto the blue couch. “You’re gonna have Uncle Jack, Uncle Jordan, and me, Uncle Cam. I’m better then all of them, though. I’m cool.” Cameron said, placing the camera on the table. “I’m cooler then your daddy, too. I’m like, ice cold.” He laughed, just as Alex plopped onto the couch beside Cameron, grabbing the camera.

“That’s a lie, kiddo. Your dad is the coolest guy in the world. I’m smarter then Uncle Cam, I know, like, everything.” Alex told the camera, nudging Cameron as he stood up. “That’s only ‘cause you studied the dictionary, Gaskarth!” Jack’s voice yelled in the distance, walking behind Alex with a grin. “Hey, baby J.” Jack waved to the camera, getting elbowed by Alex and a yelp escaped his lips. “Bye baby J!” He squeaked, leaving Alex’s side and stepping into the kitchen.

“Smells good in here.” Jack said to Cassadee, their voices distanced. “I only put the tomato sauce in the pan..But, uh, thanks?” Cassadee’s voice came off confused.

White noise came over the screen, going black for a moment.

“Doesn’t mommy look pretty?” Alex’s voice was talking to the camera, but Tay was being showed. “I think she looks gorgeous.” He continued, Tay laughed lightly. “Thanks. But, get out.” She grinned, blowing a kiss to the camera before turning. “Whhhhyyy?” Alex whined, sitting cross legged on the bed, the camera on his lap, the screen showing his girlfriend rummaging through the closet. “Because I need to get dressed.” Tay answered simply, pulling a pretty dark blue sundress out of the closet. “So?” Alex raised his eyebrows. “You need to get dressed too, Lex. Turn the camera off.” Tay demanded, playfully.

White noise came over the screen, going black for a moment.

“Don’t they look fancy?” Cassadee’s voice asked, holding the camera in her hands, the screen showing the child’s parents. Alex furrowed his eyebrows, pulling a silly face at the camera while he tucked in his white button up shirt into his dark pants. “He looks handsome.” Tay giggled, pulling her dark hair into a braid, well, attempting to. Her hair was short and layered, so it was difficult to braid. “You look snazzy.” Cameron agreed from behind the camera, seated next to Cassadee. “Thank you. Now leave the camera and get your asses out of my apartment.” Alex spoke, pointing to the door with a grin on his face.

White noise came over the screen, going black for a moment.

“Hey, look baby J! Grandma and grandpa are here.” Tay’s voice said from behind the camera, holding it in her hands as the camera focused on an older couple, dressed nicely as well. “Did..you say ‘baby J’?” Alex’s father blinked, his English accent proving that he was a bit confused. “I-Yeah. She did.” Alex nodded, standing behind Tay, his voice only being heard. “Are you saying that you’re pregnant, dear?” Alex’s mother’s voice was soft, her eyebrows raised. “Yep.” Tay nodded, smiling gently as Alex pressed a kiss to her temple, his arms wrapping around her waist.
♠ ♠ ♠
*disclaimer, I don't own anything here but my writing. Characters, places, etc, do not belong to me.