‹ Prequel: We Are Broken

Run, Don't Walk.

3.

Run, Don’t Walk.
Chapter 3.
--
We are the reckless,
We are the wild youth
Chasing visions of our futures
One day we'll reveal the truth
That one will die before he gets there.
--
“Tay, babe.” Alex’s voice has a hint of softness in it, as well as laughter as he enters her apartment. She’s in another room, unable to see him yet. “Yeah? I’m in the back.” She calls back to him, not looking up from the book she had borrowed from Cameron, hearing that it was ‘The coolest fucking words and things in one book.

Alex is carrying a little boy in his arms, the boy’s around two years old. He’s got blonde hair, blue eyes, and seems to be confused as he’s clinging to Alex. “There’s someone I want you to meet.” Alex says as he walks into the small room, the living room. It’s white, all white. Small, has a brown couch, and a bookshelf and a coffee table. That’s all.
“Mhm.” Tay hums, glancing up for a second, placing the book down in her lap as her eyes looked up at Alex. “Oh, woah.” Her eyes widened, slowly standing up to meet her boyfriend of one year, and the little one in his arms. “Who’s this?” She asked, smiling softly as she placed her hand on Alex’s forearm, looking up at the small boy. “This is Thomas. Call him Tommy, or Tom.” Alex said, Tommy giggling a bit.

“Well, hey there, Tommy.” Tay waved to the child, who buried his head in Alex’s neck, growing shy. “Tommy, this is Tay. She’s my girlfriend.” Alex spoke softly, bouncing the little boy gently.

Tay heard about her boyfriend’s son very briefly. Alex didn’t see Tommy very often, due to the fact that his mother lives in Baltimore, Maryland still. Tommy’s mother was Alex’s long time girlfriend, Lisa. They remained friends, for their son’s sake. Alex got to see Tommy twice every two months, which was enough. They weren’t very close, but that was still his son. He loved the child, but he had his own life and things to do. Lisa knew that and she let him go, being that she was able to care for their son full time. Tay was honestly alright with Alex being a father, she thought it was nice. He had a different side of him when with kids, Tay liked that side. It was adorable, watching him pull faces, buy things, spoil the child rotten. He took responsibility for his actions. He got his highschool sweetheart pregnant, he paid child support, and saw his child often.

“Hi!” Tommy waved after a few moments, giggling afterwards. Tay grinned in return, waving once again. “Daddy!” Tommy exclaimed, clapping a little as Alex let out a laugh.


“Hey Tay.” Lisa smiled, holding onto her son’s hand as Tay opened the door of her and Alex’s home, nodding a bit. “Hi Lisa, hey Tommy.” Tay said warmly, moving aside as Tommy let go of his mother’s hand, rushing inside with a few laughs escaping his lips. Lisa laughed, tilting her head slightly to get a look inside, making sure her son was alright. “He’ll be fine, don’t worry. The TV’s on.” Tay told the other women, leaning against the doorframe. “Okay, sorry, he’s just..You know, he’s Tommy.” Lisa shook her head, shrugging a bit. “You alright?” She asked after a moment, examining Tay slightly. “Yeah, yeah, I’m alright. Why?” “You look..different.” Lisa shrugged again, squinting this time. “Did you get a haircut or something?” She questioned, a light laugh escaping Tay’s lips. “Lisa, I’m pregnant.” Tay stated, a loud ‘oh!’ coming from Lisa. “Congrats! Oh, wow, that was obvious.” Lisa shook her head, reaching out and touching Tay’s wrist. “I’ll be back tomorrow night. I’ve gotta go.” She said, and with that, she left.

Tay stepped inside, slamming the door shut after her, making her way into the living room. “Hey Tommy.” Tay smiled at the three year old, plopping on the couch beside the boy. “Hi Tay!” Tommy said enthusiastically, looking up at Tay with wide eyes. “Where’s daddy?” He asked, leaning forwards slightly. Tay frowned for a moment, pushing her hair out of her eyes. But she knew Tommy’s eyes were on her, so she placed the smile back on her lips. “Daddy’s working, sweetie.” She said, breathing in slowly. “Oh.” Tommy blinked. After a moment of silence, Tay ruffled the child’s hair. “Tommy, why don’t we go get a cookie from the coffee shop? I know you like those.” She suggested, receiving an enthusiastic nod.

After putting on shoes, Tay had Tommy on her hip as she walked down the street. Tommy found the city exciting. There was a lot of noise and everything was interesting, the people, the cars, the buildings. Reaching the Central Perk quickly, Tay spotted her friends in their usual place on the couch. “Tommy!” Cassadee squealed, jumping up from the couch as Tay walked over to them, Cassadee taking the child from her arms. “Hi Cassy!” Tommy exclaimed, clinging to Cassadee slightly. Cass loved kids, in all honesty. She didn’t see Tommy often, but when she did, she loved to spoil him. “You wanna get a cookie? Or a brownie? I’ll buy you a brownie, Tommy.” The green eyed girl chattered to him, walking over to the desert counter so he could pick out what he wanted as Tay plopped down on the couch.

“Hey, Jardine.” Cameron grinned, plopping down beside her. Despite the fact he was working, he still made an effort to talk to his friends whenever they popped in. “Hey Hurley.” Tay said in return, leaning her head on his shoulder for a moment. “What’s up?” Cameron asked, crossing his legs and putting his little notepad on his lap. “Watching Tommy.” Tay replied, not really up for conversation, a bit of worry creeping over her features. “You don’t sound happy.” Cameron noted, sighing softly as Jack made his way into the café, some excitement in his tone as he took notice of Tommy in Cassadee’s arms. “I’m not happy.” Tay told Cameron. “Have you seen Alex at all today?” She asked Cameron, who nodded slowly. “Yeah..This morning.” Cameron answered, biting his lip. “He was with Taylor, wasn’t he?” Tay questioned, receiving another nod. “Cam..I’m scared.” Tay admitted, closing her eyes.

“Why?” Cameron questioned, looking down at Tay. “Cam, he’s barely been around us all week. I get that he’s working and stuff, but he’s always been working. She suddenly comes in, I barely hear from him. He’s going out for lunch and for dinner, comes back at eight at night extremely tired. I get a peck on the lips and then he’s going to bed. If he’s going to continue this on for the next eight months…” She explained, Cameron rolling his eyes. “You’re over thinking it again, Tay.” He tsked, Tay sitting up slightly. “I’m not, Cam. This isn’t some college party we’re attending anymore, you know that. We’ve got jobs now, we’re starting a family, Cam. I need him through this, I can’t do it alone. I need him here for me, for this. He’s gonna be the father of my kid, I want him here for this. Some blonde bimbo comes into his life and suddenly he’s completely busy.” She sighed, narrowing her eyes slightly. “You saw her, didn’t you? You know what she looks like, she’s..she’s probably exactly what Cassadee said. She probably likes Alex, she’s gonna fuck with our lives.” Tay finished. “Tay, he’s not cheating on you.” Cameron said, receiving another sigh. “I didn’t say that, Cam. But thanks for putting the thought in my head.” She said once she stood now, grabbing onto Cam’s arm and pulling him up as well.

“Where are we going?” Cameron questioned. “To Drop Dead. We’ve got to pay Hayley and Oliver a visit, find out about Taylor Swift.” Tay answered. “Nuh-uh, I’ve got work.” Cam shook his head. “Shit, right.” She sighed, glancing over at the counter, where Tommy sat happily eating his cookie. Cassadee beside him, as well as Jack, talking to him. “Jack, Cass, come with me. Tommy, you stay with Cameron, okay?” Tay called to the little boy, who nodded as he stuffed his face with more cookie, as Cassadee and Jack made their way over to Tay. “Cameron, watch Tommy!”
Walking on the busy sidewalk again, Tay linked her arm with Cass’ as they walked beside Jack. “Going to Drop Dead?” Jack guessed, raising his eyebrows. “Yep.” Tay answered. “Jenna and Hayley are the only ones working today, Oliver’s out.” He told her, knowing this because he stopped by earlier. “Good. We’ll talk to them.” She nodded. “For an hour, then I’ve got a doctors appointment.” She added, Cassadee raising her eyebrows. “Want me to go with you to the appointment?” Cass asked, Tay shook her head in return. “No, Alex said he’d go with me.” She said as her phone buzzed in her pocket, which she took out and read a text.

‘Baby, can’t make it to the docs with you. Lunch meeting with Taylor & Marky. I’ll be home just after the appointment ends, promise. Xxxxxo’

“Cass..I need you to go to my apartment, actually. Jack’ll come with me to the appointment.” Tay decided with a sigh, Jack raising his eyebrows. “I don’t remember agreeing to this.” He mumbled, getting elbowed in the side by Cassadee. “I mean, I’ll totally go!” He added, shaking his head. Tay passed her phone to Cass, who read over the message with a frown. “I’ll definitely talk to him for you, Tay. Don’t worry about it, honey.”
♠ ♠ ♠
*disclaimer