Status: Work in progress.

Inexperienced

Opportunities

“Thank you so much, again, Coach.”

“We’re happy to have you on board Karen,” Coach Quenneville said giving me a warm smile. He stood up, reached over his desk and shook my hand.

“I think the boys will enjoy having a girl working with the strength and conditioning team,” he said, “it’ll be something new and refreshing since our team mostly consist of male trainers. But if any of them get out of line or start bothering you, bring them straight to me and I’ll straighten them out. Although I have a feeling you’ll be able to handle them yourself. Just don’t hurt them too bad if they start to irritate you, I still need them.” He chuckled and led me to the door.

Laughing along, I reached down to retrieve my bag and slung it over my shoulder. “Don’t worry Coach, I wont let those boys mess with me. Though I can’t make any promises on going easy on them if they start to irritate me. I just hope I don’t irritate them.” I chuckle nervously. I fiddle with the rings on my fingers, a habit of mine whenever I get nervous.

“Well I guess we’ll just have to see how it goes and I’m sure they’ll love you. Trust me. They’re going to enjoy having you on the staff. I’m pretty sure you’ll become fast friends with some players. Especially Kaner. Just let me warn you that the kid can be a pain in the ass and incredibly annoying as hell.” He rolled his eyes and shook his head, but I could clearly see the small smile playing on his lips.

Getting the chance to work with my favorite team, also my hometown team, was amazing, but the thought of becoming friends and getting the chance to know my favorite players was simply unbelievable. But I had to remind myself that I was here to work. I can’t go around distracting and disturbing the players.

“Alright, I guess that’s all,” Q said. “I’ll see you bright and early at 7:00 Monday morning for training. I’ll have your uniform ready then. Just wear a regular Hawks shirt and some black joggers.” He held the door open and shook my hand again.

“Alright. See you then Coach.”
I walked out of his office, through some hallways, and out to the parking lot.

As I headed toward my car, I couldn’t help the ginormous grin from appearing on my face. I probably looked like an idiot while walking to my car but hey; right now I couldn’t care less. I was offered a job as part of the strength and conditioning team for the Chicago Blackhawks and it was honestly a dream come true.

Growing up, all I ever did was watch hockey. Money was tight so I was never able to go to any of the Blackhawks games, but I never missed a game on TV. Even if it was a school night, I would stay up until the game and the postgame highlights were over despite my mother constantly threatening to cut the cable if I didn’t go to sleep. She never did, of course, because she loved watching the games almost as much as I did. Whenever my dad would come home from work, he would always stay up and watch the games with me although he’d usually fall asleep during the 2nd period from working a long day.

When I got a call from Paul Goodman, their S&C Coach, offering me a job with his staff, I was all but screaming with excitement. This was basically my dream. I would always find myself daydreaming about working with my favorite players and, you know, living the life every die-hard hockey fan dreamed of having. Never in my 22 years of life did I ever think that was going to happen. And now I actually get to live that dream.

Driving home, I made a mental note of all the things I had to do.

First, I had to start packing. Coach and Paul insisted I moved into a new place a bit closer to Johnny’s IceHouse since I lived pretty far, so they hooked me up with an apartment at some fancy condo. Turns out, I’ll be living in the same building as Brandon Saad and Kris Versteeg and on the same floor as Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane.

I’m still having trouble processing that information.

Next, I had to call my brother to help me move in. I didn’t own much, so it shouldn’t take long to move all my stuff into the new place, but I still needed some help.

Once I got to my flat, I unloaded the cardboard boxes from my car that I would be using to pack my stuff. I was greeted by Dylan, my cute little pup, once I got inside.

Looking around my place, I noticed how crammed it actually was. Hopefully the new place had a bit more space.

I fed Dylan, made myself a quick snack, and started packing.

I would meet the team in three days.

Psh… I’m not nervous.

Nope.

Not one bit.

I am not nervous, and I am lying to myself.
♠ ♠ ♠
THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING I SWEAR IT GETS BETTER

I'm open to suggestions!
Stay beautiful!
xx
-A