Status: Work in progress.

Inexperienced

"Shut up and eat."

“Whoa.”

Those were our words when we saw the view my place had.

It had a beautiful view of Lake Michigan and Navy Pier. It was breathtaking. Especially right now since the sun was setting and the sky was all kinds of shades of pink and purple. The sunlight was reflecting of the water so it gave it a magical effect.

After we finished admiring the view and brought all my stuff up, Luca helped set up my TV while I ordered us takeout as a token of my appreciation.

Thankfully, the place was already furnished and it looked great. I was thinking about painting some walls of the living room a nice mahogany or maroon and painting my bedroom a pretty shade of yellow or something like that. I wasn’t sure. But I had a lot to do to finally call this place “home”.

As Luca finished his sandwich, I heard the faint ding of the elevator outside the hall.

Luca looked up at me, confused. “Are you expecting anyone?”

“Yea, the Chinese food.”

I walked to my door and looked through the peephole just in time to see Jonathan Toews opening the door to his apartment. Oh right, my new neighbor.

“It’s just Toews,” I said, walking back to beer I was opening.

My head snapped up when I heard things fall to the floor. I looked to where Luca stood. He was gaping at me, my video games lying scattered at his feet.

“Toews? As in To-es? As in Jonathan fucking Toews? As in the CAPTAIN OF THE CHICAGO FUCKING BLACKHAWKS? That Toews?” He walked towards me as he spoke, a bewildered expression plastered on his face.

“Uh…yes,” I spoke slowly, “he lives next door, and Patrick Kane lives across from him.”

He just stood there struggling with his words.

“AND YOU JUST CONVENIENTLY FORGOT TO TELL ME?!”

Oops.

“I guess I forgot. I’m sorry?” I nervously looked up at him.

“I just… I… you… how can you… but… AGH!” My brother, ladies and gentlemen. Twenty-eight year-old and can’t even form a proper, complete sentence.

“Well now you know.” I said, handing him a beer and a quick sandwich I made him while we waited for the food.

He sat down on the island in the middle of the kitchen and took some bites.

Then with his mouth full or food, he attacked me with more questions.

“Do they know you live here?”

“No, I haven’t met anyone yet.”

“Can we go say hi?”

“No, finish your sandwich.”

“Why not? What if we end up being best friends? Why don’t you meet them now?”

“Because. I’ll meet them Monday. Shut up and eat.”

“This is a great sandwich by the way.”

“I know, I made it, that’s why. Thanks you, though.”

“You look lovely today baby sis.”

“Flattery will get you nowhere.”

“Aw! Come on Kare! This is a once in a lifetime opportunity! It’s not every day a guy’s sister moves and has two of the best players of the NHL as neighbors!”

“Four.”

“Four what?”

“Players. Manchild and Verbeauty live downstairs.”

He just sat there, staring at me with mayonnaise on his chin.

“Are you fucking kidding me. Come on Kare-Bear pleeeeaaassseee,” he whined like that for the next fifteen minutes and I was second away from beating the crap out of him to make him shut up. Finally, I had enough of his annoying voice pestering me.

“YOU CAN MEET THEM NEXT TIME! JUST SHUT. UP.”

He ran to me and I was once again engulfed in his bear hug.

“THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!” He gave me a sloppy kiss on my cheek. Lovely.

“But I’m not sure how I feel about you being the only girl on this floor and living next to those guys.” Great. The big brother side was coming out.

“Luke, I’ll be fine. I promise. I’ll kick their asses if I have to. Don’t worry, alright? I’ll be fine.” Even though I knew I could defend myself, I was worried about what would happen to my new neighbors if they ever did anything to piss Luca off.

Luca has always been protective of me. Not overly protective, but it was enough to ward off every single guy I’ve ever been interested in. Back in sixth grade, these boys made fun of my weight and my braces. One day, it was so bad that I ran to the bathroom crying. Word spread around the middle school and over to the high school side of the building that connected with my school. Luca was pretty popular and everyone knew I was his sister so once it reached Luca, he ran to my building to make sure I was okay and then went looking for the guys that were bullying me. If a teacher hadn’t interfered, the outcome would have been very bad.

My brother was a pretty muscular guy for a sophomore. He was on every varsity team and he was the star wrestler and everyone pretty much respected him and stayed out of his way.

So when I heard him say that, I was instantly worried and tried to reassure him.

After convincing him that I was going to be fine, he let it go.

Well, sort of.

After the food got here, we popped in The Avengers and ate our food while we watched. After the movie, I started cleaning up the kitchen while got ready to leave.

I walked him to the door, hugged him and he bent down so I could kiss his forehead.

“Thanks for everything, Lukey-Poo,” I said, opening the door.

“Anything for you Kare-Bear. Take care all right? And call me if these big shots give you any problems,” he jerked his thumb towards the doors on the sides.

“Will do. Love you big brother.” I shook my head and shoved him out the door.

“Love you too little sister.”

And with that he headed into the elevator, turned around and gave me a final wave.

Still smiling, I closed my door but before it was closed, I saw Jonathan Toews’ door open. Through the peephole, I saw him dressed up, probably going out or something. He gave my door a glance before heading towards the elevator.

With my back towards my door, I slid down to the floor.

Monday suddenly seemed to be coming too fast.
♠ ♠ ♠
Stay beautiful!
xx
-A