Status: writers block ugh :/ may update soon, may not.

The Girl With the Half Beating Heart

i just came to say hello

“So,” Santiago says quietly, looking to Acacia.
"So?" She looks back at him, smiling.
“This boy,” He smirks.
“What about him?” She laughs.
They’re in his mother’s rental car. Santiago agreed to take her to his job, but of course, not without some questions.
“Es él tu novio?” He asks, his smirk not leaving his face.
“No! Somos solo amigos.” She reassures, and Santiago nods slyly. ‘That’s actually why I wanna talk to him.’ She thinks to herself.
“Alright, te creo.” He replies, putting the car in reverse. They pull out of her driveway, and drive to Alex’s job.
Before they arrive, Acacia sees the donut shop.
“Oh! Santiago!” She says excitedly, causing him to turn to her quickly. “That donut shop, stop right there.”
“Pinche gorda.” He whispers, and she hits his shoulder.
“Callate!” She laughs out, hitting him again. “They have the best donuts I’ve ever had in my life! Excuse me for wanting to share that experience con mi favorito primo.” She sings out, and he playfully rolls his eyes.
They stop at the donut shop, and Acacia buys a dozen assorted donuts.
"Why did you buy so many?" Santiago asks as they pull out of the parking lot.
"Because," She answers, opening the book to look at them. "I am a generous person, who loves to share." She finishes, smiling. "And they had a special, a dozen for 5 dollars."
"Yeah, that's what I thought."
They arrive at Alex's job within minutes, since it's so close.
"Thank you for the riide." Acacia sings, kissing Santiago's cheek.
"Cochina." She whines, whipping his cheek.
"Oh stop, tu sabes te quieres mi." She smirks, and he rolls his eyes again.
"Dame una rosquilla." He says, smiling.
Acacia opens the box, and gives him one with chocolate frosting.
"Aqui, feo." She replies. He bites into it, making a face at her.
"Damn, this is really good." He mumbles, his mouth full of donut.
"Told you!" She exclaims.
"Okay, gracias. Now get out my car."
"It's not even yours! Or your mom's for that matter!"
"Whatever, bye!" He yells, pushing her.
She sits up straight, and a sharp, tight pain runs through her chest. She puts her hand over her heart, and winces.
“Estas bien?” Santiago questions as he grips onto her arm, worried.
Her chest feels tight, as if someone had their hand wrapped around her throbbing heart, and squeezed it repeatedly. And like it was on fire.
She gulped, shaking her head. “Mhm, I’m fine.” She lies, smiling.
“Acacia,” Santiago says, pulling her back into the car.
“Santiago, I’m fine. I mean it.” She says firmly, snatching her arm out of his grip. He looks at her wearily, and she sighs. “I just want to stay out of the hospital until New Years. Please give me that.” She pleads.
“What if something happened to you? I wouldn’t be able to live with the fact that I knew you weren’t okay, and I let you go.”
“I’ll be fine, I promise you.”
He nods uneasily, biting his lip. “Bye, I’ll call you if I need you to come back.” She says as she gets out of the car. She hopes she won’t though, she wants to ride with Alex. She smiles at the sight of his car. She shuts the car door, and flips off Santiago. He laughs, doing the same, and driving away.
After a few deep breaths, she strolls slowly into the record shop.
“What do you want?” A girl says blankly to Acacia, leaning on a countertop beside her as soon as she walks in. She has dark black hair, a half sleeve tattoo, stretched ears, a nose ring, and a septum ring. She looks kind of intimidating, and Acacia is indeed intimidated.
“Hi, uh,” She starts nervously, looking down to the pink box in her hand. The girl bursts into a fit of laughter, leaving Acacia confused.
“Oh god, you’re totally scared of me, aren’t you?” She says as she laughs, still leaning on the counter.
“I wouldn’t say scared,” Acacia says quietly. She isn’t scared. But she sure as hell is intimidated.
Another boy pops up from behind a counter, rolling his eyes. “Don’t worry about Alex she’s trying to mess with you.” He reassures, making the girl laugh even harder. ‘Alex?’ Acacia thinks to herself, then nods, realizing her name must be Alex too.
After she calms down from laughing, the girl talks to her again. “I’m sorry, but I had to.” She breathes out. “Is it the nose rings, the tattoos, or the ears?”
“Honestly, none of those. It was your demeanor.”
The girl laughs again, and the boy from before pops up.
“Hillridge, go away.” He shoos her off, and she holds up a finger.
“Let me introduce myself, Matt.” She regains her composure, and turns toward Acacia.
“Hi, I’m Alexandria Hillridge, but I go by Alex. Nice to meet you.” She says, extending her hand.
“Hi.” Acacia says softly, offering her hand as well. They shake hands, and Alexandria smiles. “I’m not mean, I promise. I’m actually reaally sweet, like a cupcake.” She puts her hands under her chin, and grins widely, her eyes shut.
“Okay, cupcake, back to work. I’ll help her out.” The boy speaks up again, shooing her off for the last time.
“Okay okay!” She groans, walking away. Acacia smiles to herself.
“Helloo, I’m Matt. And you are?” He asks as he leans over the counter, smiling.
“Hi Matt,” Acacia waves, putting down her box of donuts. “I’m Acacia.” She replies.
“Acacia, that’s pretty.”
“Thank you.”
“What can I do for you today, Acacia?” He asks, tapping his fingers idly on the countertop.
“Uh, I don’t know if its okay or not, but I came to see Alex today.” She replies softly. Matt looks at her confused for a second. “Oh, my bad. The other one, Gaskarth.” She smiles, and Matt nods.
“Oh! Yeah, that’s fine, not a problem. You can see him whenever, as long as he still does what he needs to.” Matt replies.
“Okay. I brought donuts.” She giggles, opening the box.
“Oooh, can I have one?” Alexandria calls from the back of the store, grinning widely.
“When you’re done with your work, yeah!” Matt calls back with a grin alike to hers, causing her to groan. Acacia laughs again. Alex works with some funny people.
“Can I have one?” Matt asks, looking back to Acacia.
“Of course.” He takes one, takes a bite, and nods. “These are amazing, thank you.” He replies, his mouth full.
“No problem.” She grins, taking one for herself. She bites into it, and smiles as the sprinkles hit her tongue. She really loves those donuts.
“Hillridge!” Matt calls again, and Alexandria runs to the front of the store.
“Yeah?”
“Go get Gaskarth, tell him he’s got company.”
“Oh, you’re here to see Gaskarth?” Alexandria questions, smirking.
“Mhm.” Acacia hums, shifting her balance on her toes.
“He didn’t tell me he has a girlfriend!” She says giddily, her eyes growing wide.
“He doesn’t.” Acacia laughs out, taking another bite of her donut. “We’re just friends.”
“Sure.” She winks, then glances at the donut box. “Can I have one pweaase?”
“When you get Gaskarth, sure!” Matt chimes in with a smirk, taking another bite. “So delicious.”
Alexandria rolls her eyes, and disappears to the back of the store. Matt turns to Acacia again, who is way too intrigued by this donut.
“So, are you really just friends with Alex?” He asks, smirking.
“Yes!” She laughs out, smiling.
“Okay, okay. I’m just teasing. But that’s good, he needs a friend. I mean he has Alexandria and Rian, but its good to know he has you. I think you’ll be good for him.” He replies.
“Why do you think so?” Acacia asks, curious. She doesn’t really have any friends of her own either, but she always thought Alex had a ton. He seems charming enough to have as many friends as he liked.
“Because, he seems down sometimes. Like, I can tell he tries his best to put on a fake smile, but it doesn’t always work. And lately, he’s been really down. I don’t know why.” He says quietly, causing Acacia to frown. She has a clue why, but she doesn’t know exactly why. “But you, you’re like, happy, I think. You seem happy anyway.” Matt shrugs, and Acacia nods. She’s not exactly on top of the world, but she is feeling alright. Especially with Alex in the equation. “And he needs that. You’re like, the sun, warm and shiny, and he’s a town that never stops raining, gloomy, with gray but not quite black skies. Like Seattle.” He laughs, and Acacia laughs as well. “You’re the sun to his Seattle, the sprinkles to his donut, the strawberry to his banana?” He questions, making Acacia laugh again. “Well they taste good together in smoothies.” He says again with another shrug. “But he needs you. He might not say that, or show that, but I think he needs you.”
Acacia smiles widely, taking in everything Matt just said. To know that someone needs her around, to know that she makes someone happy, that just makes her the happiest she’s ever been.
She looks to Matt, her cheeks flushed crimson red. He smiles, noticing it. Before she can respond, the two Alex’s stroll in, side by side.
“Hey you, what are you doing here?” Alex says with a grin, wrapping his arms around Acacia. She hugs him back, shutting her eyes as she takes in his scent. She always admires the way Alex smells. Its kind of fresh, like laundry detergent, mixed with vanilla. Not where the vanilla is saccharine and overbearing, but just enough to notice it.
They separate, and he holds her by her waist, with one arm wrapped around her.
“I just came to say hello.” She smiles. "Hello."
"Helloo." He smirks at her.
“Sorry to break up your friend moment,” Alexandria begins, stepping closer toward the donut box, “But can I have one nooow?” She whines, turning towards Matt.
“Hillridge, take a donut before I slap you.” He groans out, walking back to the cash register. Alexandria silently praises herself before grabbing a donut, and bouncing back to the back of the store.
“You brought donuts?” Alex asks Acacia with a smile, turning toward the pink box filled with pastries.
“Duh.” She replies with a smirk, picking up hers and biting into it.
“Fatty.” He murmurs softly, pulling her closer into him. She giggles. “Would it be bad if I kissed you while I should be working?” Alex whispers cheekily, smirking.
“I don’t know,” She gulps, swallowing what was left of her donut, “Its your job.” She grins. He rolls his eyes, and leans into to kiss her. She presses his lips softly against his. The kiss only last for a few seconds. The two of them seperate, smiling widely.
“JUST FRIENDS, YEAH.” Alexandria calls from the back of the store, standing on her tippy toes.
“Hillridge, shut up!” Alex laughs back, throwing a pen at her. She catches it, and makes a face at him.
“Hillridge, I’m gonna make you throw up that donut if you don’t get back to work.” Matt calls from a back room, out of sight. “And Gaskarth, I don’t know what you’re doing, but apparently its attracting Hillridge’s attention.”
“Okay! I’m sorry!” Alexandria calls back, looking down to her toes. “Jeez.”
Alex mocks Matt by mouthing what he just said, making Acacia laugh.
“When do you get off?” Acacia asks, still in his arms.
“Not for a while, I’m making up for missed time.” He answers, picking up a plain donut from the box, and biting into it. “Why?”
“I want to talk to you. I came here to tell you not to worry. Its nothing bad, I promise you. I just wanted to tell you in person.” She runs her finger up and down his forearm, then glances back up at him. He looks into space, as if he’s thinking for a moment, then back to her.
“Okay. Hold on, I’ll be riiight back.” He lets go of her, spinning her around as he does so. He runs to the back room where Matt is.
“Hey Matt?” He says as he knocks on the ajar door, poking his head in the room.
“Yeesss?” He hums in response, turning around to face him.
“Can I take my lunch now?” He asks with a smile, stepping all the way into the room.
“How long will that be?” Matt asks in return, crossing his arms over his chest.
“I was kiiinda hoping an hour.” He leans on the door, giving Matt his famous side smile. He knows that his lunch is usually half an hour, but he wants to talk to Acacia, and still take her home.
Matt narrows his eyes at him, and Alex grins widely in anticipation. “Pweaase?” He begs with a pout.
“Fine.” Matt groans out, and Alex praises himself. “But only an hour, no more than that. And you’re making up those 30 minutes tonight.” He says sternly, and Alex nods.
“I will, no doubt.”
He runs out of the room, to find Acacia leaning on the counter, eating another donut as she plays with her phone. He smiles to himself before tapping her on the shoulder.
“Hmm?” She hums, turning around.
“Let’s go.” He grins, grabbing her hand.
“I thought you weren’t off yet?” She asks, confused.
“I’m not.” He answers. “But I’m on lunch right now. So let’s go, before Matt changes his mind.” He pulls her to the door, as she laughs, clutching onto her stomach.
“My donuts!” She whines, reaching her hand out for them. Alex groans with a laugh, lets go of her. She stands still for a moment, then turns back to him. “I don’t need them, everyone else can have them.” She grins, skipping back to him.
Alex lets out an exasperated sigh, and pulls her out the door, still laughing.
♠ ♠ ♠
ahh they leavin
i'm sorry i didn't update sooner! i've been typing this chapter for days, but i just finished it today. i'm reaaally busy right now because i go back to school soon, and i'm still unpacking my entire house. so sorry about that.
but i don't really have anything to say? that's a first.
well thanks for reading this! let me know what you think about it, babes.