‹ Prequel: White Roses
Status: In the process of completing

Black Roses

Lay low

Rose’s acute hearing could pick up the group settling in through the stone walls while Hershel disinfected her wound. He was still not walking yet. Hell… they’re both still immobile. But T-Dog found him a wheelchair to get back and forth from Rose’s cell which was moved downstairs for easier access. Rose, on the other hand, still laid in her bed recovering. Hershel began to pour alcohol over her wound, expecting her to flinch or shout out in pain. Yet her face remained unmoving. It was unnerving sometimes. However, the scars on her body told a different story. Hershel was now aware of the psychical abuse that Rose had undergone in her past and knew that she probably suffered worse before. Hershel decided to strike up a conversation with Rose. “You know. Human bites are the nastiest. Even before this outbreak. So we’ve got to keep an eye on that Rose.”

“Okay,” Rose’s eyes narrowed onto the elderly man, unnerving him again. No matter how often he had seen these eyes, it still shocks him. He’d seen heterochromia in animals often but had never seen them so dominant in a human. “Well I’m going to get up today. I hear them clearing out the courtyard.”

“Take it easy. I’m assuming that once you get up, you’re not coming back to rest. Just make sure you come to see me tonight to change your bandages.” Hershel scolded, making Rose feel like one of his daughters. She chuckled and took a grasp of Hershel’s hands as if she was assuring him. He wondered when if this girl would ever stop surprising him. Rose forced herself to get up but felt the mild protests her body gave as she took a long stretch. “Well wheel me to my room, Aurélien... do you mind if I call you by your first name?”

Hershel glanced up, meeting Rose’s eyes. He was curious to see how she would react to her first name being used. It was a nice change for Rose. She was always considered Project Rose. It was… nice to be called by her first name like most people were. The elderly man seems so worried that he might’ve pushed the boundaries too far. He feared that he’ll just end up pushing Rose away and making her shut down; she had already done that to the rest of the group, including Daryl. “Yeah you can call me that Hershel.”

“What does that mean by the way? Your name?” Hershel got slightly bold as they turned into his room. Rose stepped back to resume her usual position. That slouching against the wall, nothing behind her position. Hershel called it her predator position. He had seen Rose do it too many time and observed how her eyes would scan the area and remain silent like a lion watching its prey.

“Golden. Aurélien means golden. Emerwen means princess and Rose means… well a rose,” Rose slowly explained, feeling strange to reveal so much to this older male. “Golden Princess Rose. My…-“

The warrior faltered, not sure how to explain the person who named her or even if she wanted to reveal that to him. The fact that the person created her but wasn’t her father. He just happened to be an extraordinary scientist that was obsessed with “Lord of the Rings,” and… creating her. She was the center of his research that took decades to create. A young prodigy that began the journey to create the ultimate human being with only best qualities. That very same scientist called her his golden princess. The ultimate rose. Hershel watched as a soft but sad smile made its way to Rose’s face. She was really extraordinarily beautiful in a sharp exotic sense.

The sun felt amazing on Rose’s skin as she emerged through the narrow enclosed stairway into the courtyard. Maggie and Glenn were stacking up the bodies, looking slightly ashamed. T-Dog, Daryl, and Rick were moving bodies aside as Carol continued to move cars. It was clear that Carol was starting to step up and pull her weight. Rose assumed that Carol felt some sort of responsibility because she knew that Rose was incapable for a few days. Needless to say, Rose was pleasantly surprised how well the group had functioned without her. Maybe they weren’t idiots after all.

Rick glanced up, trying to locate the bright glare out of the corner of his eyes. The redneck saw him getting distract and followed his line of sight and his heart skipped. Rose’s presence had put a complete halt on everybody’s action. It was hard to miss how the shimmer from the sunrays hitting Rose’s blazing red hair made it seems like she was on fire. Carol caught Daryl’s eyes and then winked, teasing him. Rose took long strides towards the group, appearing as if she wasn’t near death days before.

But suddenly Rose noticed something she didn’t like. Alright. She’ll take back her previous comments. The group were a whole bunch of idiots. The prisoners were hanging out by the automobiles. “Want to explain to me why the hell these prisoners are here in OUR courtyard?”

“They showed up. Said their cell block is spooky,” Rick explained, trying to remedy the situation. “I was pissed too. Kicked them out of the prison. But T-Dog here wants to give them a second chance.”

“They either stay in their cell block or take their damn chances out on the road.” Rose redirected her intense stare onto T-Dog. Her voice sounded mild but there were an underlying tone of danger. As if she was daring T-Dog to defy her or disagree. But luckily T-Dog agreed silently, happy with the remote possibility of a second chance for the prisoners. “Now get the degenerates out of my sight.”

Glenn and T-Dog went ahead, beckoning the prisoners over and took them to their cell block along with other supplies. Rick was grateful that Rose could be “the bad guy” in this situation. It was good to have her back. Rose had given the rest of the group a scare when she showed up bleeding. He remembers his son, Carl crying every night and sitting outside of Rose’s cell endlessly waiting for her to wake up. They wanted to visit Rose and see how she was doing. However Hershel had forbid them to visit, stating that Rose’s wound was pretty deep and he was afraid of the risk of infection. The poor elderly man, still recovering from his leg being cut off, jumped up immediately to aid Rose. Rick also had a sneaking suspicion that Rose wouldn’t appreciate many people coming in and out in moments of her weakness. She wasn’t trained to show fear.

Yes… it was definitely a relief to have Rose up and aware of everything that’s going on. Rick didn’t like the burden of all the responsibility weighing on him. Half of the time, he didn’t know what the hell he’s doing. His number one priority was his son and his pregnant wife. Neither one were too happy with him. Rose provided stability. She provided an opportunity for dictatorship. There’s no such a thing as a democracy in this world anymore. Rose didn’t allow stupidity or any form of protests. It’s either her way or the highway. She’s a phenomenal warrior. Rick liked it that way. He liked that she made decisions and he’s the one to “break it easily” to the group. They worked together well. Rick smiled, meeting Rose’s eyes, “Good to have you back Rose.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Really just a filler chapter.... kinda disappointed that nobody commented. :-/

I post my stories on Mibba for a reason. I'd like to hear feedbacks and having my readers participate in this little magical world. Seriously thinking about finding another website to post my stories.