‹ Prequel: White Roses
Status: In the process of completing

Black Roses

Now You Only Bring Me

Somewhere else in the corridors of the prison as the alarm wailed, Rose was on high alert, keeping an eye out for walkers as she led the two women and boy. She just needed to keep them safe. Her stomach was twisted with unsureness. Everywhere Rose took them, walkers were filling the hallway. It was nearly impossible and she wasn’t sure if she could get them out alive. Lori took a sharp intake of breath, telling Rose that she was in pain. Goddammit, the baby was coming now. Of course it would choose this perfect time to be born to the world. Lori stopped, leaning against the wall for support. Rose glanced around to ensure there wasn’t any immediate danger. The poor pregnant woman grunted from the pain as Maggie began to rub her back.

“Can you keep up?” Maggie whispered as she rubbed Lori’s back gently. Rose closed her eyes, knowing the grave situation they were in. Lori gave birth to Carl by caesarean section so she was most likely to require another one for this baby. Carol… wasn’t anywhere near them and Rose wasn’t sure if she could find her in time for Lori. She’ll have to do it. Lori whispered that there was something wrong with the baby. The warrior squeezed Carl’s shoulders, assuring him that everything would be alright. Her acute hearing told her that a herd of walkers were arriving soon. The baby was coming now alright.

The sight of them confirmed her suspicion and the boy beside her pointed his gun at them. Rose pulled him back gently, “No. We don’t want to attract them even more. Come on. There’s no time.”

Maggie and Rose threw Lori’s arms around their shoulders, rushing down the hallway. Carl pointed to a door, waiting for Rose’s approval to enter. She gave a curt nod and Carl opened the door while the three women entered. But to their dismay, the door didn’t close all the way. Rose heaved a sigh and pull Lori’s arm off her shoulders, approaching the door. She was now in survival mode. She knew she had to deliver Lori’s baby soon enough. But first she had to camouflage their surroundings. Carl backed away from the door, seeing the strange look in Rose’s eyes. He had to make sure his mother was okay but he wanted to make sure that Rose wasn’t going to lose it or something.

In a blur, Rose pulled a zombie into the room as Maggie and Carl watched in horror. They didn’t know why the hell she was allowing a lone zombie in the room. Rose clutched the zombie’s neck and stabbed it in the head with her hunting knife. Maggie rubbed Lori’s back even more, trying to comfort her. Rose was now slicing random lines in the now “officially dead” walker and shoved it in front of the door just in time as the horde of walkers arrived. To the group’s surprise, the walkers passed them in the hallway. Lori swallowed uneasily, “What are these alarms?”

“Don’t worry about that.” Maggie responded, watching Rose pace back and forth in the room. Carl asked if it would attract the walkers, worrying about his mother.

Rose suddenly stopped pacing back and forth. She turned her attention onto the expectant mother, analyzing how her stomach was contracting. Yes… the baby was coming alright. Maggie whispered, “Lori, let’s lay you down.”

“No, the baby’s coming now.” Lori refused as she leaned against the wall. Carl threw a desperate glance at Rose.

“We have to go back to our cell block to have Hershel help!” Carl half whispered and half yelled at Rose. He didn’t understand why Rose was intensely staring at his mother and not doing anything. Little did he know how afraid Rose was. She was scared shitless. Sure she had medical training. They trained her to take care of herself fully. But that was only on herself. She had never tried to attempt “doctoring” somebody else. Especially a caesarian section. But Rose was going to have to do it.

“No. We can’t risk getting caught out there,” Rose finally answered. She began to wipe her knife clean. “You’re gonna need to give birth to this baby here.”

“Great.” Lori panted out in pain. Carl asked more questions again only to get no answers again. Rose gingerly placed her knife back into her arm sheath. Perhaps Lori would be able to give birth naturally.

“Come here, let’s get your pants off. Maggie, please help her.” Rose gestured for Lori to come closer. Carl’s face broke Rose’s heart. He had no idea if his dad was still alive. And now his mother was about to give birth. Rose kneeled down to be eye-level with Carl, “Carl you’re gonna need to help deliver your baby brother or sister. You up for it?”

“Do you know how?” Carl whispered, searching for answers in her multi-colored eyes.

Maggie interrupted as she examined Lori, “Dad taught me. But trust me, it’s my first time… I
can’t tell.”

“I gotta push,” Lori whimpered as she shifted uncomfortably. Rose turned her attention back onto Lori, “I gotta push, I gotta…”

“Lori. Look at me,” Rose grabbed ahold of Lori’s arms. Their eyes met as Rose’s hands flew to the protruding stomach, feeling it as she searched for the baby’s position. But Lori’s contractions made it too difficult for Rose to examine. Rose sighed as she began to examine Lori, “You got to trust me Lori. You’re doing great, Lori. Just keep doing it. Your body knows what to do. And if not, that’s okay. I got you.”

“Okay Rose. I trust you.” Lori nodded as she pushed. Rose continued to examine her lower part.

“STOP pushing.” Rose snapped as she realized that something was wrong. No. Lori wasn’t able to deliver naturally. Rose have to do a caesarian section. Her hand was covered in blood when she removed her hand. She directed the pregnant woman to lie down on the floor.

“Mom? Mom, look at me, look at me. Keep your eyes open!” Carl yelled as he grab ahold of his mother’s hand. Rose and Lori made eye contact once again. They knew what was going to happen. They had made a silent promise so long ago on that fateful day Lori asked Hershel and Rose to join her in her cell. The baby came first. She didn’t. Rose silently nodded at Lori, assuring her that she knew what Lori wanted.

“We have to get you back to Dad.” Maggie whimpered, holding Lori’s other hand. Lori shook her head, telling her that she won’t make it. “Lori, with all this blood, I don’t even think you’re fully dilated yet. No amount of pushing gonna help.

“I know what it means, and I’m not losing my baby. You’ve gotta let Rose cut me open.” Lori whispered.

“No, I can’t.” Maggie choked back with tears. Rose bit her lips uncomfortably, knowing that with every passing moment, there were less chance of survival for this baby.

“You don’t have a choice.” Rose harshly whispered back. It was Lori’s wishes.

“I’ll go for help.” Carl began to stand up.

“No!” Lori yelled and grunted after a wave of contractions hit her like a brick. Carl dropped down, patting his mother’s forehead gently. “Please…”

“We don’t have anesthetic…. No equipment.” Maggie pointed out.

Lori gestured her head towards the redhead, “Rose has a knife.”

“You won’t survive.” Maggie finally realized what Lori wanted all along. Her heart sank heavily as she looked at the young boy soothing his mother.

“My baby has to survive… Please. My baby, for all of us. Please, Maggie. Please let her cut me open. Please…” Lori began to sob. Maggie’s eyes began to water as Rose removed her knife once again from its sheath. “Carl? Baby, I don’t want you to be scared, okay? This is what I want. This is right. Now you… you take care of your daddy for me, alright? And your little brother or sister, you can take care of…”

“You don’t have to do this.” Carl sounded so heartbroken. Rose swallowed uneasily. She wasn’t good with these kind of situations. She just needed to carry out her mission and that was to have this baby alive and screaming. Not all of this emotional turmoil.

“You’re gonna be fine. You’re gonna beat this world. I know you will. You are smart, and you are strong and you are so brave. You listen to Rose now. You stick with her. She’ll keep you alive alright? And I love you.” Lori whispered. Rose snapped her eyes up at Lori, realizing what she was doing. She was giving Rose a family. Her family.

Carl began to cry, “I love you too.”

“You gotta do what’s right baby. You promise me, you’ll always do what’s right. It’s so easy to do the wrong thing in this world,” Lori sobbed uncontrollably, “So don’t... so if it feels wrong, don’t do it, alright? If it feels easy, don’t do it. Don’t let the world spoil you. You’re so good! You’re my sweet boy. The best thing I ever did. I love you. I love you! You’re my sweet, sweet boy. I love you.”

Rose saw the old scar from Carl’s birth on Lori’s lower stomach area and she began to cut through with her knife. Her knife was sharp enough that it slid through Lori’s skin like butter. Lori’s heart wrenching screams filled the air. Rose knew that it wouldn’t be too long before she dies. And at the exact moment she thought that, Lori’s head lolled around and fell onto the ground. Her eyelids closed for the last time and her breathing ceased. Rose was careful to not cut too deep out of fear. She didn’t want to hurt the baby.

Maggie instructed Carl to keep his hands clean as Rose pulled the baby out. Carl cried as the baby left his mother’s womb. The baby wasn’t moving or screaming. Rose’s heart skipped a beat. She didn’t want Lori to die in vain. After tapping the baby on the back to revive her. Yes she can see that it was a baby girl. Suddenly a loud cry filled the room, melting Rose’s heart. Carl took off his vest, handing it to Rose. Rose began to wrap the vest around the baby girl gently. Maggie whispered, “We have to go.”

“Well, we can’t just leave her here. She’ll turn.” Carl protested, not wanting to leave his mother. The warmth was beginning to leave her body. Rose held the baby fiercely with no intentions to let her go while Maggie removed her gun. Carl refused, revealing his gun, “No… she’s my mom.”

Rose sighed and gestured for Maggie to give him some space. The warrior walked away to peek around the door. There were walkers in the hallway. It was going to be difficult to get out of the prison. The alarms had ceased a while ago now but Rose was so preoccupied with Lori and delivering the precious life she had in her arms that she didn’t noticed.

Suddenly, a gunshot rang throughout the prison symbolizing the true death of Lori Grimes. Rose glanced down to the small fussy baby girl in her arms and whispered. Her eyes felt wet and she couldn’t understand why her heart hurts. She couldn’t explain how her heart was torn between the immense love she felt for this baby and the hurt she felt, losing Lori.

“Oh Lori… I promise you. I’ll never let these kids go. I promise you. I’ll take care of Carl and this baby until the day I die.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Well... did anybody see that coming? Ugh I cried while writing this chapter. Its soooo sad. :-( but how would Rose leave now? She fell in love with the baby now. ;-)

Anyway I hope you enjoyed the extra long chapter. Oh and please comment.