‹ Prequel: White Roses
Status: In the process of completing

Black Roses

Now you only bring me

The tanned hide of the white-tailed deer was now stretched tightly on a makeshift square as the smoke from a small fire permeated it. The meat were cut, the antlers set aside, the organs and bones cleaned, sinews and tendons were hung up to dry. It wasn’t in Rose’s nature to waste a resource and especially a large deer that was hard to come by these days. It gave her something to do… humans were social creatures. Without any social interaction or contact, people could be driven mad within days. Beside Rose was trained to spend long amount of times to herself by doing hard work and keeping her mind busy.

Yet… for the first time in her entire life, she felt utterly alone. Months and months of traveling with a group and providing for them had finally taken its toll on Rose. But not in a way that people would expect.

There was no low hum of chatter in the morning when she woke up. Nobody around to incessantly ask questions about her past. Nobody to pester her about trivial things like joining the group during downtime or have a second helping of food. The quiet moments with Rick, discussing their next moves. God… Rick was so patient with her. So respectful of her needs and space. The way Carl’s face lit up each time she entered the room with a comic book and his silly questions. There was Hershel, who had embraced her as one of his own daughters. And most of all… Daryl.

Rose missed everything about him. The way he smelled like freshly chopped wood and sweat. His dark stormy blue eyes that sent jolts throughout Rose’s body every time their eyes met. That annoying redneck drawl he had. The way he held her in his arms as if nothing could ever come in between them. His lips that were demanding and possessive yet tender. Her mind even dared to venture down deeper, remembering the way he felt in her hands. The way she made him feel.

Overall… Rose knew she was screwed no matter what. She wasn’t taught to be social. She’s socially awkward. Intolerant. She could sit for hours waiting for her target to be in place however she didn’t have the patience for small talk. Socializing with people who cared about her… scared the hell out of her. Rose just didn’t know how to emerge into society or whatever is left of this society. The minute she bolted from the prison, she should’ve gone as far as her feet would carry her. But she didn’t. Instead, she set up camp nearby with a clear line of vision of the prison. Perhaps this was better for her.

Every once in a while, she’d stop by and check on them. Maybe bring them the fruits of her labor. Food. Clothes. Other essentials. Spend some time with them. But when she’s ready, Rose would simply leave them for couple days and have her own space. It seems like a win-win situation. Yeah. She’s going to do just that.

Back at the prison, Rick had finally decided to rejoin the society just in time to welcome a newcomer to the group. A dark brooding African American female that reminded the group so much about Rose. She even had the one katana sword over her shoulder. Michonne had arrived with a shopping basket filled with baby formulas for Lil’ Ass Kicker and bad news that had sent the group in disarray.

Everybody was worried that this pressure might send Rick off to the deep end once again. They needed Rose. Apparently, Daryl’s brother, Merle was still alive and had kidnapped Maggie and Glenn. But Rose wasn’t there. Rick muttered quietly, “How do you know we can trust her?”

“This is Maggie and Glenn. Why are we even debating?” Hershel protested. It was unthinkable. His own daughter kidnapped. This was when they needed Rose. Rose would’ve probably left the minute she found out that Maggie and Glenn were gone. Without her, the group was weak. Without her, the group had to weigh the pros and cons before entering into a possibly violate situation. Hershel was torn between giving Rose his blessings to leave and keeping her with the group.

Daryl, on the other hand, was devastated. One minute, Rose was gone. And the next minute, his brother was back. He was grateful that Rick had finally came back to the group. If it wasn’t for Rick, Daryl would’ve led the group blindly into a situation that might’ve not ended well. He knew his brother. Merle wasn’t the nicest guy around. He has absolutely no idea what Merle could’ve possibly done to Glenn and Maggie. The group were deep in discussion when something unexpected happened.

“You came back! I’ve missed you!” Daryl distinctly heard Carl shouting out in the hallway. Daryl’s heart skipped a beat and he unconsciously held a breath. He didn’t want his hearing to deceive him.

“It’s alright Carl,” The warrior woman chuckled, ignoring the light stabbing pain in her side when Carl threw himself around her. It hasn’t been long enough for her wound to heal and frankly she’s been pushing herself to the limit. “I wouldn’t leave you and your sister alone for too long.”

“Rose!” Rick abruptly ended the group discussion, heading out into the common area to meet Rose. It seems like each time Rick saw her, he was still taken back by how red her hair was. Hell it wasn’t even hair. It was just long wild curls of fire framing her face. She was just… perpetually on fire. “I’m so glad you came back! We needed you.”

Carl excitedly grabbed Rose’s backpack when she shrugged it off her shoulders and handed it to him. Most of the group gathered around Rose joyously as they asked her questions about where she went, what did she do, and why did she leave without a word. But Daryl hung back, unsure how to approach Rose. They needed to talk. He didn’t know how… but they had to talk. It might be like pulling teeth with Rose but he had to figure out what the hell she want. “Who’s the girl?”

The room fell quiet. So quiet that they could hear a paperclip drop. Rose raised her eyebrows as she narrowed her eyes at Michonne. The African American female staggered up to her feet, feeling the need to stand. Michonne knew somehow that the tiny redhead female was the clear leader of the group. She was impressed. It wasn’t often to see a female in charge in this post-apocalyptic world. Rick give Michonne a small nod, as if he was telling her that it was alright. Rick understood what it was like to be on the receiving end of Rose’s wrath, “Michonne. She brought back formulas for the baby and told us that Glenn and Maggie had been kidnapped by a man who goes by Governor and Merle... Daryl's brother.”

“Governor?” Rose’s voice sounded so dark that Rick was afraid to meet her eyes. Rose took another step closer to Michonne, slowly assessing the woman.

Rick interceded, trying to rectify the situation between Rose and Michonne. “He took them to a town, Woodbury with 75 survivors.”

“How do we know if we can trust her?” Rose echoed the same words Rick spoke only few minutes ago.

“Well we don’t. However it’s Maggie and Glenn. They haven’t come back yet. We owe it to them to at least check if they were there or not.” Rick reasoned.

“He got muscle?” Rose directed the question towards Michonne. Her military training was taking over as she tried to assess the situation. She sure wasn’t as hell going to walk into a potential violent scenario and be blindsided. She knew that this African American female had an ulterior motive but she didn’t know what it was exactly.

“Paramilitary wannabes,” Michonne scoffed. She was intimidated by this female and that isn’t an easy feat to accomplish. Perhaps if the woman’s face would actually change expressions and showed emotion. After the long silence, Michonne realized that Rose was waiting for more information. “They have armed sentries on every well.”

“You know a way in?” Rick cut in. Rose threw a glance back at the ex-sheriff, knowing exactly what he wanted to do. He wanted to sneak in and take Maggie and Glenn back to safety. Well… as much safety they can provide.

“This place is secure from walkers, but we could slip our way through.” Michonne responded.

Rose raised her eyebrows, “How’d you know how to get here?”

“They mentioned a prison. Said which direction it was in, that it was a straight shot.” Michonne explained, wondering why she was even there in first place. What was her point of bringing baby formulas to a prison only to be on the receiving end of doubts and suspicions? She sure as hell don’t know anymore.

“This is Hershel,” Rick pointed out the kind-looking elderly male leaning on a crutch, “The feather of the girl who was taken. Do you really think this is something to be trifled with?”

“Rick, stand down.” Rose quickly commanded, narrowing her eyes at the unstable male and as a result, everybody was stunned. Sure, it wasn’t too long ago when he lost it and went berserk within these walls. But nobody expected Rose to override Rick and truly establish her role as a leader. They’ve always been so respectful of each other’s opinions. “Let’s convene in privacy. This doesn’t concern the young ones.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Meh writing motivation went away. Sorry for late update.