‹ Prequel: White Roses
Status: In the process of completing

Black Roses

But I Couldn't See

The whole landscape was bathed in the warm glow of the rising sun and the high sunlit clouds drifted across a clear blue sky. It was a quiet content day as Rose lounged outside with Judith fast asleep in her arms. Beth was busy playing with Rose’s thick tresses, coiling it into a thick braid. Out of the corner of Rose’s eye, she saw Rick who had a black eye entering the upper outdoor corridor with a rifle and couple box crates.

Rose eyed him uneasily, ensuring he wasn’t planning on doing anything that was too crazy. Rick pulled up his binoculars, scanning the prison courtyards. Suddenly he grabbed his gun and ran toward the mini graveyard that they had made for all their dead ones like Lori… T-Dog… and Oscar. Rose handed sleeping Judith over to Beth, telling her to stay put as she headed towards Michonne who was out in the outer courtyard by an abandoned truck that was upturned.

Rick headed over the graveyard and slowly circled around with a confused look on his face like he was looking for somebody. Rose inhaled softly and was trying to decide if she should intervene or not. Rick was clearly losing it. Michonne gave Rose a look, unsure what was happening with Rick. When Rose knocked him out, they put him to sleep because it was clear that the poor man hasn’t slept in days.

For the next two days, Rick was fitful in his sleep. Sometimes he called out for Lori. Sometimes he called out for Shane. From what Rose heard, Shane died the night she first met the group and was Rick’s best friend. She tried to keep Carl away from having to see his father like that by keeping him busy. Little chores. Little things like going to the infirmary and looking for important essentials. The group whispered amongst each other, wondering if Lori’s death drove Rick mad. If the grief was too much. Rose wouldn’t have any of it. When they questioned her about Rick, she’d just simply respond that he was sleep deprived and needed to sleep.

Suddenly, Rick hurried past Michonne and Rose towards the perimeters of the prison without a second glance to them. It was like he wasn’t seeing them. Rose and Michonne followed him quietly, wondering what Rick was up to. He had that crazed look in his eyes. The gate creaked open as Rick unlocked it and apprehensively approached a nearby pool of water that had a bridge over it. Rose made a mental note that she should confiscate Rick’s keys so he won’t go somewhere that was out of her sight and harm himself.

Rick put his hands up to his cheek and acted like somebody was there. But to Michonne and Rose’s eyes, nobody was there. Rose sighed heavily. It was difficult to see Rick like this. He was her right hand. Her equal. Yet he was… losing it. If Rick completely lost his mind, that means she was responsible for the group’s well-being. She wasn’t ready. Rick was good with people. She wasn’t. She was more like a war general. She made strategic decisions based on observations and experience while Rick talked to people and made sure their emotional needs were met.

Rose glanced up to the blue sky and wondered what Daryl was doing at this very moment. But that was just a fleeting moment. Rose had to stop thinking about him. He chose his brother and she understood why. She never had any brothers or sisters but she could imagine how close that bond was. She needed to stop thinking about it because it yanked her heart every time she did. Rose shook her head, making the path back to the prison. Rick will come back when he needs to.

The group needed to make a plan about the Governor. Rose knew that he was bound to come after them and seek revenge. So when she entered the prison, she called the group together. Rose was inside the main cell block on her knees with a chalk in her hand. She drew an intricate map of the prison. Glenn was next to her, gathering information as Rose drew. “Now you said you found Tyreese’s group here? Carl confirmed and nodded his head. Glenn sighed, “We secured this. Rose secured this.”

“He thought he came though here.” Carl spoke, pointing to the back part of the prison. Rose drew an X on there, signaling that there was a breach there.

Glenn spoke aloud what Rose already knew, “That means there’s another breach. Okay the whole front of the prison is unsecure. If walkers just strolled in, then it’s gonna be cake for a group of armed men.”

“Why are we even sure that he’s going to attack. Maybe you scared him off.” Beth asked, referring to Michonne.

Michonne sighed, “He had fish tanks full of heads. Walkers and humans. Trophies. He’s coming.”

“We should hit him now,” Glenn glanced around the room. Beth protested before Glenn silenced her, “He won’t be expecting it.”

“We’ll sneak back in and put a bullet in his head.” Glenn feverously spoke, eager to curb that need for revenge.

“We’re not assassins.” Carol retorted and then immediately gasped as she glanced over to Rose. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean that Rose.”

“It’s alright.” Rose curtly spoke, listening to Glenn formulate a half assed plan with amusement. This was clearly his first rodeo.

“You know where his apartment is. You and I can end this tonight. I can do it myself.” Glenn ignored Carol as he approached Michonne. Michonne was silent for a few moments but she had a beef with the Governor so it didn’t take so long for her to agree.

Hershel sighed, “He didn’t know you were coming the last time. And look what happened. You were almost killed. Daryl was captured. You and Maggie was almost executed. If it wasn’t for Rose…” He trailed off.

“You can’t stop me.” Glenn aggressively responded.

Hershel spoke, “Rick will never allow this.”

“You really think he’s in any position to make that choice,” Glenn retorted. Rose reached out towards Carl, knowing that it must hurt for him to hear that. Carl gave her a small smile and took his place next to Rose.

“Think this through clearly. T-Dog lost his life here. Lori, too. The men that were here. It isn’t worth anymore killing. What are we waiting for? If he’s really on his way, we should be out of here by now.” Hershel tried to reason with Glenn.

“And go where?” Glenn questioned, seeing Maggie leaving the common area. Maggie couldn’t handle the thoughts of losing Glenn again but he was so angry. So hell-bent on revenge.

“Knock it out boys. Rick might not be in the position to make that choice. But I am,” Rose finally asserted her authority, getting back up on her feet. She was pissed. Glenn was just being a raving lunatic and needs to be curbed. “Glenn, I suggest you stand down.”

“Rose, come on here. You know damn well that we should go after him NOW!” Glenn challenged Rose and regretted it immediately. He found himself in the direct path of Rose’s unforgiving eyes. The warrior stood up taller, daring Glenn to disagree again with her eyes.

After Glenn backed down hesitantly, Rose turned to the group. “Alright, we’ll stay put. We’re gonna defend this place. We’re making a stand. Glenn, Carl we’re going to go down to the tombs. Figure out what’s the breach.”

A couple of hours later, Glenn, Rose and Carl came back from the tombs. Carol and Beth unlocked the barred door, seeing Glenn with a SWAT armor on and a discouraged look on his face. His eye was still bruised and he had various cuts all over his body. Rose sighed, confirming their suspicions, “The tombs outside the boiler room are overrun again.”

“That whole section had been cleared.” Beth shook her head, closing the door and locking it.
Rose shrugged, taking a seat next to Hershel, “It’s a steady stream of walkers.”

“We’re wasting time,” Hershel warned as he spoke up. “The Governor is supposedly on the way and we’re stuck in here with walkers. Trapped between a rock and a hard place.”

“For the last time, running is not an option.” Glenn snarled, glaring at his girlfriend’s father. He didn’t understand why Hershel was so keen on leaving. This was the best place they’ve stayed at since the world went to hell.

“Glenn, if the tombs have filled up again, it’s just a matter of time before they push in here.” Carol pointed out, trying to reason with Glenn.

Beth piped in, “Or until some fence gives way.”

“What if one of them herds is passing through? Or settled?” Axel questioned, unsure how the outside world worked like. He’s been lucky to be protected inside the prison. Rose glanced up with a dangerous glint in her eyes, making Axel to shy away.

“Can’t handle that with just the few of us.” Carol bit her lips, looking around at the mismatched group.

Rose rolled her eyes, wishing that Rick would just come back from the looney bin. “Didn’t I already say we’re staying here? Glenn is not in charge here. He’s just being a little vengeful brat.”

The group suddenly fell silent. It wasn’t like Rose to lose her patience or to exert her authority. There was no doubt that her words was basically laws. But it was always through Rick. Never directly from her mouth. It might be the most amount of words she had ever said in public. Carol and Hershel met eyes, knowing that they couldn’t say anymore. They owed her so much. She saved them. She had never done them wrong. Not only that… Rose was the most experienced and trained member of the group when it came to violence.

“Okay. All right, we need – we just need to scout the far side of the prison. Find out what’s going on.” Glenn stammered, not expecting the harsh truth to come out of Rose’s mouth. She wore a steely displeased face and her eyes told it all. The look in her eyes dared anybody to go against her words.

“You’re going out there? Take a car and make it quick.” Hershel nodded, not wanting to displease Rose any further. It was clear that Rick wasn’t number one anymore. However… Hershel wasn’t sure if Rick had been the number one all along. Perhaps they were all just Rose’s puppets.
♠ ♠ ♠
Two more chapters to go before Daryl and Rose are OFFICAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I promise you guys that after Chapter 25, they're official.

Please comment... I'm serious. Not joking. Comment.