‹ Prequel: White Roses
Status: In the process of completing

Black Roses

I Lay Low

“Go, go, go, go, go, go, go!” Rick’s voice was filled with urgency. The squeaking of the metal cart’s wheels echoed throughout the corridors. The heartbeats of her group and the gasps of desperation and fear pounded inside Rose’s head as she tried to hold on that emotionless façade that had protected her so long. All of her heightened senses were overwhelmed completely. The smell of rotting meat and that metallic irony smell of Hershel’s blood seeping. The taste of blood in her mouth… it must’ve spurted into her mouth. The brightness and darkness caused by the group’s flashlights, doors… too many corridors. Where the hell are those arrows Glenn drew? At least, the leathery handle of her katana sword felt familiar to her. She had to get a grip on herself.

They were just people. People were never kind to her. People just automatically expected her to do as they say. So many commands and obligations in her life. Not one kind word were mentioned about her except that she was the “perfect killing machine.” That she exceled at her studies. That she was ruthless. That she wasn’t… humane. That she was the best student they’ve ever trained. So why the hell was she worrying about the group running in front of her? The prisoners were not a threat to her. Rose could hang back and kill them all. It was certainly the best decision for the group. But… as hard it is for her to admit. It was endearing to see people fight for other people… not for themselves.

Today was the first time she had ever spared a life… a life that imposed danger to her or her interests. However… Rose couldn’t let Hershel die without a fight. He was the first real father that she had ever encountered. His daughters loved him. Rose never had a father. Or a mother. Her sole reason to be borne was to be the formidable assassin she was raised to be. Rose was just a result of breeding… generations after generations until they finally got the right mix of genes. Hershel was kind and incredibly fatherly towards Rose. He was the only one that objected each time Rose left the group for the night. He was the only one that dared to tell Rose to eat with the group. He tried to incorporate her with fun and/or trivial activities. She couldn’t let him go. Not without a damn fight.

“Open the door! It’s Hershel! Carl, come on!” Rick snapped Rose out of her thoughts. The emotionless façade took over as her face became steel and she remembered her training. The prisoners were not far behind them. She knew those types. She just had to sort out her senses.

One. Two. Three. Disregard shouts of alarm coming from inside the cell block. Disregard heartbeats. Disregard moaning. Ahh… her ears finally tuned into the prisoners’ gait. They were close.
Daryl pulled his crossbow up, facing the entrance they previously entered. The redhead next to him placed her sword back into its sheath. He’d like to think that she was comfortable enough to allow him to protect the front. However that girl was probably able to withdraw her sword and behead a person faster than he could reload his crossbow. The situation that had just happened a few moments ago with Hershel had completely shocked him but he didn’t have time to deal with that right now. Rose had shocked everybody in that cafeteria… other than the prisoners. But they didn’t know what she was capable of.

As the prisoners came into view, Daryl saw how they eyed the female next to him and he didn’t like it. His fingers itched to shoot the arrows into each one of their eyes. The prisoner who had previously pointed his gun at them were the first one to appear. His light blue prison uniform were halfway down with the upper half tied around his waist. Rose decided to lean back against the cell door with her ankles crossed. Daryl wondered how could she look so relaxed at this moment and bit his lips out of frustration. The prisoners advanced into the cleared area slowly as Daryl waited for Rose to do anything. But obviously she wasn’t going to so he was. “It’s far enough.”

“Cell Block C. Cell four, that’s mine, gringo. Let me in.” the prisoner stated, freely roaming his eyes on the redhead. Daryl glanced over his shoulders, seeing the taunting look on Rose’s face. Almost as if she was daring them to come closer.

“Today’s your lucky day, fellas.” Daryl tried to defuse the situation the way Rick would like it to. “You’ve been pardoned by the state of Georgia, you’re free to go.”

“What you got going on in there?” The prisoner pressed on further.

Daryl snarled, narrowing his eyes on the stubborn batch of prisoners, “Ain’t none of your concern.”

“Don’t be tellin’ me what’s my concern,” the menacing prisoner replied, whipping out his gun. Out of the corner of Daryl’s eye, he could see Rose’s hands hovering above the holsters of her guns.

Suddenly one of the prisoners grew a pair of balls and spoke up. Daryl took his eyes off the prisoners, meeting Rose’s intense stare. Her green eye seemed cloudy and stormy while her blue eye seems like he was peering into a pit of hot blue flames. The quarrel between the prisoners seemed so insignificant when Daryl looked at Rose. He wondered who the hell this girl was. Sure… she was an assassin. But for what? Why? Who did she kill? So many questions came up to his head since last night. And… Daryl secretly hoped that he’d get more alone time with the female warrior tonight.

“There ain’t nothing for you here, why don’t you go back to your own sandbox?” Daryl shot back after hearing T-Dog join in the squabble. Rick had finally emerged from Cell Block C with blood spattered over his clothes. He was obviously not expecting to keep Hershel alive but a tremendous respect and admiration had sprouted out of that hallowing experience for Rose. Sure Rick respected Rose. She had a lot of skills and was definitely a strong person to have for the group. However Rose really took over and did something that nobody was expecting for or thought of. Hershel’s life might’ve been spared all because of this woman. Hell she saved Hershel’s life twice now. The first time on the farm. And now again. Perhaps this warrior queen wouldn’t leave them after all. Perhaps she’ll stay with them. God… Rick hopes so. Something told him that the group will need her.

The redhead warrior lost interest in the prisoners, seeing that the men got it handled. She needs space. Her training… her head told her to run. Not to get attached. Not to have feelings for these people that now depended on her. She got attached ONE time in her life and it nearly killed her. Rose couldn’t. She couldn’t allow herself to dive into unfamiliar territory again. Especially when she was severely punished for it. They made her kill him. These memories and feelings that are surfacing up… told Rose that she needed to move on. The promise she had made so long ago was now fulfilled. This prison were their best shot at survival and now she can move on without any guilt.

Yes… a week. Rose will give them a week to settle in or so and then she’ll head out on her own way. It was best for the group.
♠ ♠ ♠
Is anybody even reading this story :-(