Status: Currently in the works.

Playing With Fire

Chapter Ten

Carlisle, Esme, Jasper, and Emmett had been sent out hunting. They were starving themselves into the ground and every time Bella got more blood they became insatiable. Bree had to be kept away at all costs because of the amount of human blood Bella was drinking. It was frustrating to the family to be separated but they knew it was for the best at this point. Alice had decided to stay with Bree so the only people in the house with Bella at all times were Edward, Rose, and Jacob. Kitten and Princess both spent a good amount of time in the house but they also spent time outside with their wolves making sure the peace was kept.

Tonight Paul and Embry had gone with those who had left for hunting to make sure nothing happened to them. Guarding vampires wasn’t something Paul liked doing but Kitten had asked him to and that meant he would do it. Tonight Kitten and Princess had agreed to keep an eye on Bella while the others went hunting. Bella was restless tonight her pulse kept sky rocketing then falling and nothing seemed to be making it better. Kitten could tell she was near giving birth or dying and she wasn’t sure which would come first at this point.

“Come on Bella let’s walk around a little get that blood flowing back into your legs,” Rose hummed gently as she helped Bella up to her feet and began to walk her in a small circle. It wasn’t long before there was a nasty crack heard and Bella was tumbling to the floor screaming in agony. It was time, Kitten looked at Princess wanting to send the innocent hybrid out of the room because this wasn’t about to be pretty and she didn’t want to see Princes in pain.

“Princess, go let Jacob know it’s time,” Kitten gently ordered. Princess looked conflicted. “I will do what I can to help her survive but please. I do not want you to witness this,” She begged and Princess’ green eyes softened and she understood. Kitten was doing her best to protect her and she would allow Kitten this protection as she left the room racing outside to find Jacob.

It wasn’t long before Jacob was racing into the house and they’d made their way to the hospital room Carlisle had set up. Kitten could hardly stomach it as Edward attempted to cut her open with out any morphine or numbing agent. She could tell Bella was losing her grip on life and faster than she had anticipated and then the most horrific thing was happening. Edward was using his teeth to dig the baby out of Bella. Kitten wanted to leave the room but she couldn’t she had to stay till this was over and god she hoped that was sooner rather than later.

Thankfully for her it was over in a matter of minutes and Edward was holding a young baby that looked to be a few months old not a new born at all. “Edward!” Kitten snapped as He seemed to be ogling over the baby instead of paying attention to Bella’s ever fading Heart. “Her heart’s giving out! You have to start the change now! You are wasting precious time!” She rushed over pushing Jacob out of the way who was staring at the baby like the world revolved around it and then Kitten felt it. The connection Jacob had just made and by the look on Edwards face he heard the thoughts.

“How dare you!” Edward practically screamed handing off the baby to Rose who quickly rushed it out of the room.

“You don’t have time for that! She’s dying and I can’t keep her holding on for much longer!” Kitten growled lowly as she kept one hand wrapped around Bella’s wrist keeping her heart pumping but barely. If Edward took much longer Bella was going to die and there was nothing Kitten would be able to do to stop it. Once a heart was stopped there would be nothing in Kitten’s powers that could help. She would deal with the infant later.

“He, He imprinted on my child!” Edward argued and Kitten reached up a hand and smacked him across the face she could feel Bella’s heart slowly coming to a stop.

“DO IT NOW OR SHE’S GOING TO DIE,” Kitten shouted and finally getting Edwards attention he injected the venom and Kitten prayed that they’d gotten the venom into her heart in time but right now she wasn’t sure. She could suddenly hear growls from outside and her concern for princess suddenly overcame her desire to see if Bella was going to live or not. “Princess,” she gasped softly as she rushed outside.

Outside was a mess. Sam and several small wolves were standing their ground and growling loudly as if to intimidate Princess. Kitten quickly took her side as Seth and Leah stepped to their sides hoping that Paul and Embry would be back soon. Jacob was inside with Rose feeling the need to protect Renesmee from inside the house at the moment as he was unable to think clearly the imprint still running through his head.

“I gave them a command not to fight and Sam is fighting it, I can’t hold them off for long,” Princess was desperate because they didn’t think they could win a fight without Paul and Embry.

“Bella’s already dead, They can’t hurt her and Jacob has imprinted so they can’t hurt the baby either, but they aren’t here for either of those,” Edward Spoke up and Kitten’s eyes darkened. “They are here for me, for my family, All of us that they can kill,” Kitten’s eyes darkened and nearly turned a bright red. She wasn’t going to allow this family to get hurt. They’d done much too Much for Kitten and Princess.

“We won’t allow that,” Kitten promised as she gripped Princess hand. “in order to hurt any of you they would have to hurt us unfortunately that’s not going to stop Sam. He’s more than willing to break the ultimate law to get what he wants. No one is safe,” Kitten laced her fingers with Princess as she looked out at them and before she had time to react Sam was lunging towards her.

A scream ripped from Princess throat as Sam tried to close his mouth around Kitten’s head in an effort to kill her. Kitten powered by the fear of those around her and the sudden drive to kill Sam grabbed his jaw holding it open and set fire to the ground around the others that she cared about so that the younger wolves couldn’t lunge forward without getting burned. She slammed Sam onto the ground keeping her arms around his throat.

“You have messed with the wrong Hybrid Sam,” Her eyes were vivid and angry and then she released her screamers. The pack began to cry able to hear the screamers through Sam’s thoughts. Kitten smirked as Sam cringed and curled up the screamers digging into his thoughts and his brain. The longer she allowed them to go on the more consequences it would have even after she stopped. She kicked him through the ring of fire and onto the other side setting his fur on fire.

“You are going to kill him,” Princess warned. Not Keen on actually killing Paul but knowing that Kitten maybe too far gone to stop. “Not in front of Seth,” Princess tried to keep her voice steady but the fear of having seen Sam nearly rip Kitten’s head off was too much for her. Kitten withdrew the screamers leaving the pack to try and put Sam’s fur out. She turned her attention to Princess.

“Shh, I’m ok Princess, all in one piece,” She frowned seeing the unshed tears in the girl’s eyes. It broke her heart to see her in such pain. She gently pulled the girl into her arms and rubbed her side pressing a kiss to her temple murmuring soft promises to her.

“What the hell is going on?” Emmett blasted as he and the others arrived back from camping. The smaller wolves were still reeling from the screaming they’d heard. Sam’s fur was finally put out but he was still lying on the ground injured from the strong hold Kitten had, had on his neck and shoulders not to mention he was still paralyzed by the screamers even though she’d called them off. Carlisle frowned as he struggled not to rush to Sam’s side and help him out. Though no one was able to get close to the house with the ring of fire Kitten had set around her and the others.

“Sam attacked, She had no choice,” Jacob had finally left the house and was standing next to Edward. “He lunged at her, almost got his jaw around her head,” He explained. Paul let out an agonized sound as well at the idea of someone hurting his imprint. “But she’s stronger than he will ever be, I never did give her enough credit,” Jacob conceded as he looked in admiration of Kitten.

“It was awful,” Princess finally started to shed a tear or two as she looked at Kitten the image of Sam’s mouth around her neck dug deep into her memory. Kitten growled wanting to go back after Sam for causing Princess such stress.

“Let the fire down so we can come in,” Esme called and Kitten shook her head looking directly at Sam who was starting to stand back up.

“I will not let my guard down until he leaves, I will not put Princess and Paul through the agony of seeing him go back at my throat,” Kitten seethed. Sam staggered around for a minute before howling and running off into the forest his pack following quickly. Sam knew it was a bad idea to try and fight any further tonight. Slowly kitten allowed the fire to die wanting to chase after them but a trembling Princess was stopping her.

“Renesmee was born while you were away,” Edward told the rest of the family. “If you please Kitten, Will you please tell me if I was too late to save Bella?” He questioned a pained look radiated around the family. Kitten let out a soft sigh squeezing princess hand.

“Take Princess to the baby, She will begin the assessment while I check on Bella,” Kitten instructed and Edward didn’t hesitate Jacob on the other hand stepped in the way as Esme took Princess hand to lead her into the house. “Get out of the way Jacob or I will rip you apart and burn every single piece. I am aware you imprinted. Princess is not the one you need to be afraid of, if you do not let her near the baby I will kill it out of sheer anger right now. Princess needs to go first now let her go,” Kitten was direct and the anger still laced her tone.

“I won’t hurt the baby Jacob,” Princess promised and slowly Jacob stepped to the side allowing Esme to lead Princess into the house. Kitten watched for a moment making sure Princess got into the house safely.

“Jacob come with us,” Kitten growled not trusting Jacob at all around Princess right now. To her surprise Jacob nodded and followed her and Edward back up to the hospital room where Bella’s body was lying still as ice. The hybrid stepped forward and set one hand on Bella’s chest listening for the very slow heartbeat that was needed to pump the venom through. It took a few minutes but she felt it.

“Anything?” Edward asked quietly unable to hear or feel the heartbeat for himself. Kitten listened for a little longer just to make sure that the heart beat really was there before she looked up at Edward.

“Bella will be fine, She will be turned and should wake up in a day or so,” The elder Hybrid promised. “We can deal with dressing her and getting her prepped for waking up at a later time. I wish to see the child now,”

“I think you should see Paul first, he’s outside pacing around, He refuses to come inside without you,” Edward wasn’t trying to persuade her knowing she’d see the baby sooner or later but he did know that she needed to calm down and Paul needed to as well. “Embry is already inside with Princess they are spending time with Renesmee, Paul needs to see you first,” Edward chewed on his bottom lip as Kitten looked up at him sharply.

“Yes, I need to see Paul as well. Keep Jacob away from Princess. I will be in to see the child in a moment,” Edward and Jacob both let out a small breathe of relief knowing they at least had a few more minutes with the baby. They rushed off to where Renesmee was being kept with the rest of the family as Kitten made her way back outside.

“Kitten!” Paul shouted as he spotted the girl walking towards him. He raced towards her scooping her up into his arms and spinning her around. “I was so worried,” He murmured and Kitten could feel hot tears falling and hitting her neck. She swallowed her anger at Sam and just leaned into the touch of her imprint.

“I’m ok, Sam can’t hurt me, not Now Not ever, I love you,” The female promised pulling away to press a soft kiss to Paul’s lips gently but lovingly. They stayed like that for a few more moments before finally separating and looking at each other. “You are my life Paul, I won’t allow anything to hurt me for your sake,” she rubbed his cheek with her soft finger tips allowing herself to get lost in his eyes

“Let’s go deal with the thing that caused this mess,” Paul murmured pressing a soft kiss to her nose. Kitten nodded and gripped his hand hoping the silence inside was a good sign. Though she had no idea what she was stepping into and that scared her.